PDA

View Full Version : Can AppleCare transfer?

machick
2006-07-02, 19:53
Hi,

My dad has a Powerbook and wants a new MacBook. He has AppleCare on the Powerbook and wants to know if AppleCare can be transferred to the new laptop or if he has to buy a new protection plan.

I have no idea about this and was wondering if any of you could help. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

scrouds
2006-07-03, 00:07
He has to buy a new plan. I believe that apple will give prorated refunds based on the time left and usage of applecare on the powerbook.

Of course, if you are going to sell it, you should probably leave the applecare on it, as that should bring the value of the machine up more then the refund

BarracksSi
2006-07-03, 22:00
To muddy things further --

When Apple replaced my G3 iBook with the then-new G4 version, they gave me the option of transferring my remaining AppleCare to the new computer.

I think it's worth calling up AppleCare themselves to see what they say.

alcimedes
2006-07-03, 22:34
They won't transfer to another machine that you buy, but it does stay with the machine if you decide to sell. Applecare is sold on the machine, not to the person.

machick
2006-07-05, 11:55
Thanks for the response everyone. I figured that it probably couldn't, but my dad likes to save money any way he can (who doesn't?!). I am urging him to get it regardless of cost, though.

Brad
2006-07-05, 22:37
Just remember that you can wait up to 364 days to purchase it. As long as you've purchased and registered the AppleCare plan within the first year from the date of the machine's purchase, it'll grant you the same coverage.

So, he can at least save the money up front.