PDA

View Full Version : 160GB or Higher MB HD

kgarchar
2006-07-08, 10:56
So with the recent release of the new perpendicular hard drives, I've been thinking about upgrading my MacBook hard drive to a 160GB or higher hard drive, I've seen some 160GB SATA HDs on the internet, but most are rumored to not fit into the MacBook, has anyone heard any success stories with any of the larger hard drives? If so, leave some links, thanks.

PB PM
2006-07-08, 14:18
So with the recent release of the new perpendicular hard drives, I've been thinking about upgrading my MacBook hard drive to a 160GB or higher hard drive, I've seen some 160GB SATA HDs on the internet, but most are rumored to not fit into the MacBook, has anyone heard any success stories with any of the larger hard drives? If so, leave some links, thanks.
Most 2.5" SATA HDDs should fit. I haven't seen anyone here say they installed the top of the line drive, but I could have missed it.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-08, 14:22
I don't think there are many if any 2.5" hard drives over 160GB.

chucker
2006-07-08, 14:40
There aren't. A 200 GB one has been announced but will be 4200 RPM. Since the hard drive is easily the biggest performance bottleneck in laptops, that's a really bad idea.

Luca
2006-07-08, 15:36
All new laptop hard drives are the same size. As long as you get a SATA one, there shouldn't be any reason it won't fit.

The "some hard drives won't fit in a MacBook" thing has stemmed from ONE person who was given bad information from someone at Apple, either because of their ignorance or because they wanted to encourage the person to buy an overpriced BTO hard drive instead. All modern laptops use 9.5mm thick hard drives, and all modern laptop hard drives are 9.5mm thick. There is NOTHING preventing you from upgrading the drive in a MacBook (and in fact, Apple has made it very easy to do so).

Keep in mind that the latest and greatest of anything tends to be more expensive. Since 160 GB is the highest current laptop hard drive capacity, you'll pay a premium for one (that is, it'll cost more per GB than more common 80-120 GB drives).