PDA

View Full Version : Site navigation in Dreamweaver

Kraetos
2006-07-09, 09:11
How do you guys handle designing site navigation in Dreamweaver?

I always have trouble with this when I make new sites. There are two options, really:

Make the navigation part of the site template (or a library item) so whenever you update it, the change is global. However, if you do that, you can't change any part of the navigation, for example, to indicate the current page.

If you want a navigation bar that isn't static, you use a snippet. You write it once and then put it in all your pages. The problem with this is that if you make a new page and want to add something to the nav, you must change it across all the pages individually.

The change from page to page is very minor, in every case its just changing the class of one link. (The one for the page you're on.) But if you make it a template or a library item, you can't change it at all.

Using a snippet is no big deal - its not like I need to add new pages often. But is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Wyatt
2006-07-09, 09:51
Methinks you need nested templates. I've not used them before, but it sounds like it's what you're looking for. Here's a pretty basic tutorial on them:

http://www.thepattysite.com/nested_templates/index.html