PDA

View Full Version : HELLOROBO (Or, The "Roboman Needs a New Phone" Thread)

Robo
2006-07-12, 17:03
The title pretty much says it all. But that would be a pretty lame thread, wouldn't it? So allow me to explain.

At the end of the month I will be purchasing a new cell phone. There are two main reasons for this. First, I am moving across the country, and will thus be calling my old friends often, and will thus be using more minutes than I can afford with my prepaid Virgin Mobile phone. Second, I saw my phone - a Kyocera "K10 Royale" - for $20 at Wal-Mart, and was shamed. (Granted, I bought it for $27 at Target last year.)

As the title may or may not suggest, I am looking mainly at Motorola phones. All of them. Or all the Motorola phones that anybody gives two flying turds about, anyway - the RAZR, SLVR, PEBL, and Q. (Hey, those sound kinda like the ghosts from Ms. Pac-Man!)

I like the RAZR, but it's a fact: Everybody has one. The teenage girl who won't stop talking in the theater? Has one. The old fart that comes to my grocery store every day and stays for hours buying lottery ticket after lottery ticket? Has one. The poor children on one of those "You're killing someone by buying a venti latte every day rather than using that money to save a life" commercials? They probably have one, too.

I want to have a nice phone - you know, the kind that people besides nerds compliment. I don't want one of those generic "ZXBS659i" phones, but that's the problem - the RAZR is becoming almost as generic.

I was thinking about getting a RAZR in a cool color. Maybe that light blue that nobody knows exists. Maybe a bright pink one, just for the novelty of it. I wished the RAZR came in "louder" colors, and my wish was granted this morning, when news broke that, somewhere in the world, the RAZR would come in lime green. And if the "RAZR LIME" magically appears in America in the next two weeks, my decision will be made for me. (Unless they make you drink 1,000,005 cans of gross Mountain Dew for it, like that lime Xbox. Then I might have to think twice.)

But, sadly, the lime RAZR probably won't magically appear in America in the next two weeks, and my decision will be a little harder.

I'm looking at the PEBL. It's kinda the quirky cousin to the more popular RAZR, just as how I'm the quirky cousin to the more popular cousin who I'm staying with for two weeks. (Gotta love moving.) And the PEBL does come in loud colors, including both green and orange, although the green is less "lime" and more "granny smith." (On a more practical note, I'm traditionally not a fan of flip phones, but the PEBL's unique magnetic/spring hinge might change my mind.)

I'm a heavy texter, and I'd like a more powerful phone than my $20 "Royale," so I'm also looking at the Motorola Q. The qwerty keyboard is a big plus for me...but I'm not very familiar with Windows Mobile. Is it stable? I don't like the idea of a cell phone crashing or getting viruses. ;)

Variety is the spice of life, so I'm also looking outside the wonderful world of Motorola's 4LTR phones. Specifically, I'm looking at the new Sidekick 3. Yes, it's still pretty massive, and the specs are still mediocre at best, and it's oddly the most expensive phone I'm looking at ($300 with two year contract!), but there's just something to be said about a $20 unlimited data plan. Plus, I'd get to make the sound of a cracking whip every time I flipped it open. "Whptch!"

That said, I know the OS isn't customizable...at all...which might bother me.

The dark horse candidate for the honor of becoming my next phone is Helio's Kickflip. The design is simple almost to a fault (when the phone is shut, you can't tell which side is up!), but it's very Apple-like. It has a spring-loaded swivel, too, so I'd get to "Whptch!" every time I opened it, too. The "Whptch" is very important to me. It's all about the "Whptch."

Of course, Helio is a new, unproven MVNO. They seem nice enough...but what if...you know...they go under? Or the whole thing turns out to be run by that Gizmondo dude who crashed his Enzo? I don't want a paperweight, even a sexy, sleek, "Whptch"-y one.

I bet you're all wondering where you come in. That's easy. I want your thoughts on any of the phones I described, plus any other unique phones you think I should look at. You may have noticed, from the phones I described, that my choice in carrier is still pretty open, so your thoughts on the major U.S. carriers are appreciated - especially if you've used them around the Las Vegas area. The rest of my family is on Verizon, so I'd be able to call them for free if I went with Verizon, too. But I also know that Verizon puts its own shitty UI on its phones, and they cripple lots of features, like forcing you to download ringtones from them. (Hey, they sound just like my current carrier!) So your thoughts on, well, basically anything related to cell phones are appreciated.

If you think I'm making a huge mistake, and want to slow-mo dive in front of me, yelling "NOOOOOOO!," now is your chance. Post away!

torifile
2006-07-12, 17:21
You lost me at HELLO. Jeez man, get to the point! ;)

I've got the SLVR (2 of them, in fact). They're cool looking and very thin, but below average reception. I've also got the SE W600. Very thick, but flip-phone-esque (or you can use it as a candybar) and the reception is great.

Wyatt
2006-07-12, 17:26
As somebody who owns a RAZR, I've got to tell you one thing: Don't do it.

I absolutely hate it. It's too quiet, its connection with my headset is unreliable, and the reception is really bad. It was alright at first, but it's nowhere near as nice as my previous phone (Sanyo MM-8300 for Sprint). Don't buy a trendy phone. Look for a good one. Being made by a "major" phone company doesn't make a good phone.

I'm getting rid of mine ASAP.

Robo
2006-07-12, 17:37
You lost me at HELLO. Jeez man, get to the point!

Ahh, complaining about length is a surefire way to make a long thread shorter. Oh, wait...

I knew I'd get an "OMG 2 Many WERDS!" reaction, but I still thought you guys would prefer a remotely entertaining thread rather than "Hay guys what fone shud I get??!??!?"

I absolutely hate it. It's too quiet, its connection with my headset is unreliable, and the reception is really bad. It was alright at first, but it's nowhere near as nice as my previous phone (Sanyo MM-8300 for Sprint). Don't buy a trendy phone. Look for a good one. Being made by a "major" phone company doesn't make a good phone.

I never said I wanted a "trendy" phone, but points taken. Which RAZR do you have? V3? V3c? V3i? V3m?

torifile
2006-07-12, 17:58
You're right, it was entertaining. And I tried to at least give you my 2˘ on the phone thing. So Moto's 0 for 2 so far. I've never been disappointed with my Nokia phones and my current SE is good too. As is my wife's T637.

Wyatt
2006-07-12, 18:00
I have the plain Jane V3.

If you're not going for it for "trendiness", why do you want one of the "super-trendy" Motorolas? The Motorola software is atrocious and their trendy phones typically have below-average reception. My RAZR, for example, loses signal when it rains. I seriously can't use my phone at all in the rain.

I also find texting particularly shitty on the RAZR. Typing numbers, for example, is a bitch.

Nokias are excellent if you're going GSM. If you're going with Sprint, go for Sanyo. With Verizon, go for LG.

Kraetos
2006-07-12, 18:05

I'll vouch for the suckiness of the V3. Mine has dust UNDER the screen. Thats right, somehow dust got UNDER there. Granted that happened on my T730 too, but it had screws so I just went in with a microfiber cloth and got it out. The RAZR, though, requires it to be pulled apart and then have the screen replaced. I have the replacement screen and I just haven't gotten around to performing surgery on the phone yet.

However, I have heard many good things about the V3i and the V3c. Especially the V3i. A friend of mine has the SLVR, she likes it, but I can't imagine having a candybar phone again. Unless I stuck an invisible shield on it.

Alternatively, I hear the Q, and WM5 in general, suck hairy balls. Pain in the ass to navigate, buggy, and generally Microsofty. Something about it taking 7 keypresses to dial someone in the phonebook compared to the V3's 3.

Also keep in mind that iSync's compatibility list is still woefully small. If that matters to you, make sure you check that.

Bryson
2006-07-12, 19:00
All Motorola phones have the Suckiest UI Evar™. Don't do it.

Get a good Nokia or a decent Samsung, even. Although the Samsungs never get to work with iSync.

Hang on....just looked at the Verizon site. You guys don't get a look in with any of the good Nokias. In that case, I'm stumped. Depends on how much you care about iSync...

ironlung
2006-07-12, 19:20
Get a nokia 6230i. You wont regret it. To me its the perfect phone (bought it in norway, use it with tmobile0. Cingular sells the 6230 version. The next revision 6230i had a lot of improvements. You can buy one of those on ebay. Its a GSM only phone so you'll be stuck with either tmobile or cingular

BlueRabbit
2006-07-12, 19:20
I also have a V3, since last September. It's worked decently so far - I don't have any problems with the reception. I live in Seattle, so I use it in the rain all the time. :D I do have the dust under the screen problem, though...it's not horrible, but it does make the right side hard to read under the sun.

BenP
2006-07-12, 21:37
The Helio phones look pretty sweet. I'd probably do that if I could afford it.

I've had a couple of LG phones and they've all been pretty solid. Nothing flashy, but no complaints either.

turtle
2006-07-12, 22:11
My thought, Verizon would be your best carrier based on my experiances. I'm about to ditch Cingular now and pay $350 in early termination fees just to get out from under them. :no:

While it is my opinion, I think GSM (Cingular, T-Mobile) sucks in this country and the CDMA signal will do you best (Verizon, Sprint). My in-laws are truck drivers and they love Verizon because they almost always have a signal; the same can't be said about GSM.

That being said will limit your phones down. Verizon's crippling of features is true, but most can be overcome with a USB cable and some minor software mods, and some major, like re-flash the phone. The biggest gripe about Verizon is the lack of data transfer from computer to phone through Bluetooth, so use the cable. Having a PC around would be better, or Bootcamp/Parallels should be able to do you find since most phones talk to PC's more than Mac.

I am a Moto fan, but don't really like the Q. To wide and thin for me. I have been using a 8125 (http://www.cingular.com/8125_consumer) for about 6 months now and don't mind Windows Mobile 5. I wouldn't recommend the phone because I hate the GSM network, but I would recommend XV6700 (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Verizon-XV6700.htm) from Verizon. Easily hacked through the help of a phone forum I use all the time for stuff like this, Howard Forums.

The XV6700 (and 8125) are full touch screen PDA phones, the Q is a Smartphone without the touch screen. I have a 2125 (http://www.cingular.com/2125_consumer) collecting dust right now because I didn't like the lack of screen inputs. (I've been using PDA's for years.) I don't think Verizon has one like this other than the Q which uses the same OS.

As for WM5 (PDA or Smartphone); I actually don't mind it that much at all. I miss most of my Palm apps, but I'm not to bothered really. The OS seems solid enough to me. I see a few bugs every now and then, but I am also running a hacked flash. It's almost expected to have a few glitches when you hack it.

I do have some older v710's laying around from when I was last with Verizon and I loved them. It was replaced with the e815 (http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1801) which I could also recommend highly to you. It has a great signal and is also far more sturdy than the v3 (which I happen to hate as well).

Hope that helps with another perspective.

dark54555
2006-07-12, 22:42

I've got the SLVR (2 of them, in fact). They're cool looking and very thin, but below average reception. I've also got the SE W600. Very thick, but flip-phone-esque (or you can use it as a candybar) and the reception is great.

I've also got a SLVR. The build quality is good, and compared to what I had on my v550 and on my blackberry, the reception is stellar.

Also, the SLVR is very easy to hack. Motomodders.net has pretty much anything you'll need, other than the USB cable.

HOM
2006-07-12, 22:48
OH NOSE!

A cell phone advice thread and I haven't written a long post yet?

WTFQQB!

NO MOTO PHONES

I could go on and on about how bad they are, but I can sum it up this way:

NO MOTO PHONES

It's really that simple.

If you want a great texting phone, look at a Sony Ericsson W600. If you want a great music phone, look at the Sony Ericsson W810i. If you want a great camera phone, look at a Sony Ericsson K800i.

Notice a pattern?

Sony Ericsson makes hands down the best mobile phones. I'd still be using one if I didn't sell my soul to the devil for a Treo 700p.

Actually, if you give me a price range, a feature set that you want, and a preferred carrier (No Verizon!), I'd be happy to give you a specific recommendation.

dark54555
2006-07-12, 22:53
HOM, I don't know about the current SE phones, but the T68i I had was a steaming pile of poo.

Also, I must advise no nokia. Their current generation is just pathetic.

Samsung, on the other hand, has some decent offerings these days (except that got awful ZX10).

chucker
2006-07-12, 22:56
Actually, if you give me a price range, a feature set that you want, and a preferred carrier (No Verizon!), I'd be happy to give you a specific recommendation.

Price range? No idea.

Feature set? Excellent Bluetooth sync (contacts! calendars!) and headset support. The rest doesn't really matter, as long as the interface doesn't distract too fucking much from what's important: calls. Basic camera features can't hurt, I guess, but they aren't important, nor are music features; I have a PowerShot and an iPod.

Preferred carrier? Anything that's available in the Montréal area. Telus, Rogers, Fido, whatever.

MCQ
2006-07-13, 00:21
I'd tend to agree with HOM and suggest looking at SE phones... preferably in the K or W series. UI is decent, build design is usually pretty good.

If all the Motorola phones have a UI similar to the one that my friend's Razr does, then I'd stay away from it. Looked like crap, probably wasn't usable either.

I really liked a Samsung flip phone that I had several years ago, and several of their phones still have that basic design. Simple and clean UI as well. I don't know how good Samsung's BT syncing is though, as they've only made many of their phones with BT over the last year or so.

2006-07-13, 00:27
The RAZR's interface is a complete clusterfuck. I had a perfectly good and functional Moto phone before this piece of shit, but I stupidly succumbed to the svelt sex appeal.

Fucking sex appeal. Gets me every time. :o

Mikester
2006-07-13, 05:03
I want a Q but they're not out in the UK yet.

I have a ROKR (and I seem to be the only person in the world who actually likes it) and I'm getting a Project RED SLVR soon (yes, that's right, the "Bono" phone).

Robo
2006-07-13, 10:41
OH NOSE!

WTFQQB!

NO MOTO PHONES

I could go on and on about how bad they are, but I can sum it up this way:

NO MOTO PHONES

It's really that simple.

If you want a great texting phone, look at a Sony Ericsson W600. If you want a great music phone, look at the Sony Ericsson W810i. If you want a great camera phone, look at a Sony Ericsson K800i.

Notice a pattern?

Sony Ericsson makes hands down the best mobile phones. I'd still be using one if I didn't sell my soul to the devil for a Treo 700p.

Wow, you feel...strongly about that. You hate both the phones and the carrier I'm looking at. Neat!

I actually was considering the SE W800i until I actually used it - I hate hate hate those little joysticks on phones. They replaced it with a d-pad in the W810i, so maybe it's time I checked it out again.

I do like SE's phones. I like how they're simple, unlike my crappy "Royale," which has pointless curves.

Right now, I'm probably looking at the Q the most. It's on Verizon, but it has WM5, so they didn't slap their sucky UI on. (Did they still cripple the Bluetooth, though?) Mobileburn posted a generally favorable review of it, although I think they mentioned that the keys were too hard.

Partial
2006-07-13, 10:52
Robo don't listen to that bullshit. Verizon has continually had the highest customer satisfaction, gets all the newest phones (same with cingular, though) and uses CDMA which is a far better service than cingular or tmobile (GSM companies.. old, old old nasty technology that should have stayed in europe). Get Sprint, Verizon, or a local affiliate like US Cellular if they have it. Get any phone that is tri-band, meaning it has the 2 digital and analog services rather than the dual-band only having the two digital. This will improve your reception. The guy is right though in the sense that Sony Erickson makes some nice phones, but wrong in the sense that motorola is crap. They are one of the biggest electrical firms in the world, I don't know how he can say they are crap. they have a shitty gui, but their phones are built like rocks. Nokia has mastered the cell phone service. Go with a nokia, sony erickson or moto and you'll be fine, but make sure they're tri-band (razr and slvr are not and have reception issues)

edit - this is coming from a guy with a dual-band phone which has had shitty service for two years. I no longer care how a phone looks, I just want functionality.

Robo
2006-07-13, 11:41
Uh, tensdanny...both the RAZR and the SLVR are quad-band.

As for Nokia...I haven't been impressed. They're keypads were so weird that they had to launch a "Buttons for Humans" campaign when they came to their senses, design-wise. I'm glad they've refocused their target market, though...humans!

chucker
2006-07-13, 11:43
[..] CDMA which is a far better service than cingular or tmobile (GSM companies.. old, old old nasty technology that should have stayed in europe).

Care to specify how, specifically, GSM is problematic?

HOM
2006-07-13, 11:51
Right now, I'm probably looking at the Q the most. It's on Verizon, but it has WM5, so they didn't slap their sucky UI on. (Did they still cripple the Bluetooth, though?) Mobileburn posted a generally favorable review of it, although I think they mentioned that the keys were too hard.

NO!

While the Q is a very slim smartphone it does not run full Windows Mobile. It runs Windows Mobile Smartphone Edition, which is a major piece of shit.

David Pogue (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/08/technology/08pogue.html?ex=1152936000&en=f7890d64cf2eb5e4&ei=5070) took a Q out for a spin:

Example 1: After you take a picture with the camera, what options would you want to be immediately available? Maybe Save, Send and Delete? Not on this phone. These options are all hiding in menus; activating Send, for example, requires four more button presses. (On the Treo: one.)

Example 2: What if you want to edit an entry in your address book? Hey — it could happen. You can't just highlight a name, open the menu, and choose Edit; there's no Edit command. Instead, Microsoft wants you to open that address book "card" first and then open the menu. Total steps: four. (Treo: two.)

Example 3 (this one is really annoying): Q comes with about 25 preinstalled programs: Tasks, Voice Notes, Internet Explorer, Solitaire and so on. You get to them by pressing a button labeled Start, a riff on the familiar Windows Start menu.

If only it really were a menu! Instead, you see jumbo icons. Only six of them fit on the screen at once (three across, two rows). If you want a program on the last row, you have to scroll seven times, pausing each time to make sure you haven't overshot, by pressing the down-arrow key (or turning the notched thumbwheel).

Why no list-view option? Better yet, why can't you type the first letter of the program you want, as on the Treo? On the Q, that whole alphabet keyboard just sits there, wasted.

Example 4: To reschedule an appointment, you exit Week or Month view (where only gray blocks appear); scroll to the appointment's name in a list; press Enter; press Edit; scroll to the Starting Time box; switch the keyboard into number-typing mode; type a new number; click Done. (On the Treo, you just drag the appointment to a new time slot.)

Examples 5, 6, 7: The Q phone doesn't auto-capitalize names you enter in the address book, auto-format phone numbers with parentheses and dashes, or put apostrophes into words like "cant," "dont" and "Im." Why has Moto/Microsoft deliberately ignored the accumulated wisdom of rivals?

If you're torn between the Q and the Treo or BlackBerry, though, here's the biggest software difference: the Q is just a viewer, not a true palmtop. It can open Word, PowerPoint and Excel documents, but can't create or edit them.

In fact, crazy as this may sound, the Q doesn't even offer Copy and Paste commands. You can't grab a paragraph from a Web page and e-mail it to someone, as you can on the Treo or BlackBerry.
If you want a slim QWERTY phone, look at the Nokia E61. It's a bit heavier and wider than the Q, but it will run circles around Moto's POS.

Robo don't listen to that bullshit.
Nope, Robo should listen to me, I know what's I'm talking about.
Verizon has continually had the highest customer satisfaction, gets all the newest phones (same with cingular, though) and uses CDMA which is a far better service than cingular or tmobile (GSM companies.. old, old old nasty technology that should have stayed in europe).
Verizon charges significantly more for the idea that they have the best network. They haven't had the largest or most well supported network in years. Similarly, Verizon gets one or two decent phones, but has absolute shit for the rest. Not to mention the fact that they have a well stated and well implemented strategy of crippling their phones forcing you to use their over priced services. Why is it that ONLY the Verizon version of the HTC Wizard cannot use their voice modems and WiFi at the same time? Oh, it's because Verizon want to penalize you for using WiFi by forcing all your calls into voicemail? Don't even get me started on how Verizon cripples Bluetooth on their phones, removes IM and email so they can sell it back at an inflated monthly fee, or how they charge three times as much for their data plans.

Now, GSM providers will always have better phones available to them. Not only that, but by using GSM you can buy any number of wonderful phones that will never get picked up by an American carrier. GSM is a better technology in theory and in practice.

Get Sprint, Verizon, or a local affiliate like US Cellular if they have it. Get any phone that is tri-band, meaning it has the 2 digital and analog services rather than the dual-band only having the two digital. This will improve your reception.

And drain your battery so fast that you can't use it. I just switched to Sprint because I have the best monthly plan in the business and I could get the Treo 700p at an amazing discount. But if I could have stayed with a GSM provider I would have.

The guy is right though in the sense that Sony Erickson makes some nice phones, but wrong in the sense that motorola is crap. They are one of the biggest electrical firms in the world, I don't know how he can say they are crap. they have a shitty gui, but their phones are built like rocks. Nokia has mastered the cell phone service. Go with a nokia, sony erickson or moto and you'll be fine, but make sure they're tri-band (razr and slvr are not and have reception issues)

Their UI is so terrible that it negates any, marginal at best, physical qualities they have. Sending a photo via bluetooth isn't done from the 'Send' menu, it's done by the 'Copy' menu. Does that make any sense? The settings are strewn across a half dozen menus that don't mean anything and have no context. Their contact list does not support multiple entries or multiple key searching so you jump to a letter and the scroll down until you get the right contact. It's amazing that people would actually recommend their crappy phones.

I should also point out that Nokia doesn't actually make their CDMA phones. It's just a rebrand of another companies products.

torifile
2006-07-13, 12:06
HOM is the mobile phone guru. He knows what he's talking about.*

*except that on moto phones, you CAN do multiple letter searching through your address book, as well as have more than one number per contact - but those options are so well-hidden hardly anyone knows about them.

HOM
2006-07-13, 12:15
HOM is the mobile phone guru. He knows what he's talking about.*

*except that on moto phones, you CAN do multiple letter searching through your address book, as well as have more than one number per contact - but those options are so well-hidden hardly anyone knows about them.
How?

I know that in the contact list you could 'hide' the non-default number and scroll to another one if you wanted, but that was only for voice. If you want to send a SMS, you have to scroll through the entire list and it doesn't even filter out non-moible numbers.

Wow, I just searched and you now can search by multiple letters.

I stand corrected.

torifile
2006-07-13, 12:19
I stand corrected.
:p ;) :D

Robo
2006-07-13, 12:30
Hahaha...okay, so Verizon is definitely out. I didn't ever like Verizon - I don't want to support a company that cripples its phones - but the fact that I could call my family for free was tempting. (Like, my entire extended family is on Verizon. I'm serious.) But it was never something I wanted to go with, and if I'm going to sign my soul away for two years, I at least want it to be to someone I like. Besides, it's looking like any other carrier would be cheaper, even if I don't get to call my family for free.

I heard Moto had a lame UI, but now it's beginning to sound fantastically bad. I've heard they're working on an entirely new one, so maybe that will be better...but it's not going to come out before August.

And how does importing a GSM phone work? I know that phones are locked to a carrier, although I know that you can buy unlocked phones. Can I just buy a European phone, pop in an American SIM, and use it? I'm guessing it's more complicated than that...

What GSM carrier do you think I should go with? Cingular? T-Mobile?

dark54555
2006-07-13, 12:46
I heard Moto had a lame UI, but now it's beginning to sound fantastically bad. I've heard they're working on an entirely new one, so maybe that will be better...but it's not going to come out before August.

OK, the moto UI isn't THAT bad. Granted, out of the box, the icons are kind of Windows 3.1. But spend an hour or so learning to mod the phone, then mod it, and it looks as sharp as anything on the market. Same for functionality. I've never understood why motorola turns features built into the phone off. But they do, so you do a few seem edits and turn them back on.

There is no other brand as readily hackable as Motorola. Period.

And how does importing a GSM phone work? I know that phones are locked to a carrier, although I know that you can buy unlocked phones. Can I just buy a European phone, pop in an American SIM, and use it? I'm guessing it's more complicated than that...

Gotta be careful on this one. If you're importing a quad band phone, you'll be fine. But tri-band phones usually cut out one of Cingular's band (850). My SLVR is an import that I've re-flashed with a newer firmware and heavily modified.

Also, the phone has to be unlocked.

Realistically, unless there's some very particular model you're wanting that isn't available here, the new customer discount phone pricing is always a better deal. ALWAYS.

Depends. Cingular has better coverage nationwide, T-Mo has cheaper data plans. If you're wanting unlimited data, t-mo will save you $10-20 a month. If you don't so much care about data, Cingular will have equal or better coverage in all markets than t-mo.

HOM
2006-07-13, 12:55
Hahaha...okay, so Verizon is definitely out. I didn't ever like Verizon - I don't want to support a company that cripples its phones - but the fact that I could call my family for free was tempting. (Like, my entire extended family is on Verizon. I'm serious.) But it was never something I wanted to go with, and if I'm going to sign my soul away for two years, I at least want it to be to someone I like. Besides, it's looking like any other carrier would be cheaper, even if I don't get to call my family for free.

Another victim saved from Mobile Phone Hell™

My job here is done!

Oh, wait...

It is a wee bit more complicated than that. Most phone manufacturers sell their phones unlocked and unbranded directly to consumers in Europe, but they are not subsidized by a carrier. You can buy a branded and third-party unlocked phone for less, but all the settings might not work without extra steps and perhaps a trip to a local grey market retailer to flash your phone. If you are going to buy a European phone I can recommend a couple shops like MobilePlanet (http://www.mobileplanet.com/) or My World Phone (http://www.myworldphone.com/).

The other thing to keep in mind is Tri-Band (900, 1800, 1900MHz) or Quad-Band (850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz). Which leads me to your next question.
Cingular's network operates on 850/1900MHz frequencies. T-Mobile runs on 1900MHz with some 850MHz roaming agreements.

What this really means to you is that if you decide to go with Cingular and you want a European phone, you need to get a Quad-Band one. All Tri-Band phones will work on T-Mobile.

As for their network merits:

I used Cingular for 4 years (3 of which were out of contract) because I found their reception, plans, and customer service to be good to very good. Every time I have an issue with a bill it was taken care of and I can't remember the last time I had a dead spot. However, since Cingular bought out ATTW, their voice plans and data/SMS plans have gotten more expensive.

T-Moible is very inexpensive for both voice and data, but they only run on 1900MHz which has a harder time penetrating walls (and yes, I'm serious) so if you are in a weak signal area, you might have a hard time getting calls inside large buildings. The other thing is that T-Mobile only has native service in metropolitan areas so if you are planning on being out in rural areas frequently, T-Moible won't be a great carrier for you. That being said, if you spend most of your time in a city, T-Mobile should be fine. Lastly, T-Mobile has no 3G plan at all. They just upgraded to EDGE (2.75G), but because of spectrum issues, they cannot upgrade to 3G while Cingular has already launched 3G is 18 markets. I'm not sure if high speed data is a concern for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

For the record here is the plan I got which finally convinced me to sell my soul by taking on a new 2 year contract and jump ship to Sprint:

1250 Minutes
Unlimited N&W
Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
Unlimited Roaming
Unlimited EDVO data
Unlimited SMS
Unlimited MMS

All for $44.95 a month.

:cancer:

thegeriatric
2006-07-13, 12:56
I have a Moto V3 it's ok but i wouldn't recommend it. Have used Sony ericsson, and Samsung.

Samsung are my personal favourites, and what i would recommend. I am thinking of changing my V3 and getting the latest Samsung. But..... have to convince her indoors to let me spend the money. Can't help with service providers, as i don't live in the states. Good luck choosing.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:10
Uh, tensdanny...both the RAZR and the SLVR are quad-band.

As for Nokia...I haven't been impressed. They're keypads were so weird that they had to launch a "Buttons for Humans" campaign when they came to their senses, design-wise. I'm glad they've refocused their target market, though...humans!

no, no they're not. They are digital only. They do not use any analog services. If there are 4 digital things, fine. It probably depends on if they're GSM or CDMA. I was at US Cellular doing research on these the other day. I am staring at a spec sheet right now.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:12
Care to specify how, specifically, GSM is problematic?

It's not. Just old. Less range. Notorious for dropping more calls. Lower customer satisifaction within the companies that use GSM towers.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:16

Every companies cripples there stuff so you pay more. T-Mobile and Cingular use the exact same shit. Get whichever is cheaper. Don't say I didn't warn you, though. Especially if you don't live in a big city. Verizon is more expensive in the same way that Apple is more expensive. You get what you pay for. GSM is shit compared to CDMA. I've had both, I know. GSM has a boat load of cool looking phones, sure, and while you may get all these cool features on them, they are ultimately worthless when you don't receive any service..

Robo
2006-07-13, 14:16
Thanks for all the help, everyone...especially HOM. I'm comparing Cingular and T-Mobile plans now. You're right, Cingular is more expensive. But they might be worth it...

Y'know what really bums me out? That, a few months after I purchase my phone, the simpler and sleeker (but oddly proportioned) RAZR 2 will be out, likely with Motorola's all-new (and presumably improved) JUIX UI.

I know, I know, there will always be something better around the corner. But knowing that there's something so much better so close around the corner is irritating, especially since I simply can't afford to call my old friends at 25 cents a minute with Virgin Mobile.

Two stupid questions, but I just wanna make sure: Phone companies let you get a new phone mid-contract, right? You could just pop the SIM in the new one and keep all your contacts, etc. (or just use iSync)? I'm sure it's a stupid question, but everyone I know in my podunk MN town always waits for their contract to expire (or their phone to break).

Second, if I get a plan with X amount of minutes, but decide I need more, I can just upgrade my plan, right? I'm assuming the contract ties you to the company, not the plan...?

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:18
OK, the moto UI isn't THAT bad. Granted, out of the box, the icons are kind of Windows 3.1. But spend an hour or so learning to mod the phone, then mod it, and it looks as sharp as anything on the market. Same for functionality. I've never understood why motorola turns features built into the phone off. But they do, so you do a few seem edits and turn them back on.

There is no other brand as readily hackable as Motorola. Period.

Gotta be careful on this one. If you're importing a quad band phone, you'll be fine. But tri-band phones usually cut out one of Cingular's band (850). My SLVR is an import that I've re-flashed with a newer firmware and heavily modified.

Also, the phone has to be unlocked.

Realistically, unless there's some very particular model you're wanting that isn't available here, the new customer discount phone pricing is always a better deal. ALWAYS.

Depends. Cingular has better coverage nationwide, T-Mo has cheaper data plans. If you're wanting unlimited data, t-mo will save you $10-20 a month. If you don't so much care about data, Cingular will have equal or better coverage in all markets than t-mo.

They have the exact same coverage. They share towers.

Robo
2006-07-13, 14:19
It's not. Just old. Less range. Notorious for dropping more calls. Lower customer satisifaction within the companies that use GSM towers.

Under who's marketing claims are you basing that on? Because I'm staring at their websites right now, and Cingular (GSM) is claiming that they have the fewest dropped calls, and T-Mobile (GSM) is claiming they have the J.D. Power awards for highest customer satisfaction in all six markets. So who's marketing-speak are you listening to?

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:19
Thanks for all the help, everyone...especially HOM. I'm comparing Cingular and T-Mobile plans now. You're right, Cingular is more expensive. But they might be worth it...

Y'know what really bums me out? That, a few months after I purchase my phone, the simpler and sleeker (but oddly proportioned) RAZR 2 will be out, likely with Motorola's all-new (and presumably improved) JUIX UI.

I know, I know, there will always be something better around the corner. But knowing that there's something so much better so close around the corner is irritating, especially since I simply can't afford to call my old friends at 25 cents a minute with Virgin Mobile.

Two stupid questions, but I just wanna make sure: Phone companies let you get a new phone mid-contract, right? You could just pop the SIM in the new one and keep all your contacts, etc. (or just use iSync)? I'm sure it's a stupid question, but everyone I know in my podunk MN town always waits for their contract to expire (or their phone to break).

Second, if I get a plan with X amount of minutes, but decide I need more, I can just upgrade my plan, right? I'm assuming the contract ties you to the company, not the plan...?

Why are you concerned about the UI? It's a phone for crying out loud. Read any review online. They all point you towards CDMA, and Nokia/Motorola. That my friend is a fact.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:22
Under who's marketing claims are you basing that on? Because I'm staring at their websites right now, and Cingular (GSM) is claiming that they have the fewest dropped calls, and T-Mobile (GSM) is claiming they have the J.D. Power awards for highest customer satisfaction in all six markets. So who's marketing-speak are you listening to?

Consumer Reports, E-Opinions, et al.

Do some research between CDMA and GSM. Are you in a big city? How close is the tower. Ask what your friends have and see what kind of service they get in the areas you will be talking most. DO NOT NEGLECT your college dorm if you're going to be using it there. Check it out before you buy. You'd be dumb not to. No matter what phone you get, there are areas where service is shaky as hell. I reccomend you get a phone with analog capabilities as well. They may not be as pretty, but when you're having phone sex at 2am and its cold outside and you've got 24" of brick surrounding you on all sides, you're going to be glad you have that analog capability.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:23

More importantly than that fact, is who is your carrier and where are you located. You need to consider these facts and do tests before purchasing a phone. I'm not singling you out, just highlighting this for Robo to make an informed decision. Remember, if you have a phone that sucks and you're locked into a contract, you're probably dumping minimum 100 on a used, respectable phone on ebay, or 200-300 from the provider.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:25
Nokia 6255i on CDMA has really good quality in Wisconsin. Many of my friends use it and it works much better than my shitty digital only phone in a similiar area.

chucker
2006-07-13, 14:27
Why are you concerned about the UI? It's a phone for crying out loud.

Exactly the reason. It's a phone. It should have a simple, well-designed UI. Motorola's phones don't have that.

You still haven't given any reason of how GMA is bad.

Robo
2006-07-13, 14:28
Why are you concerned about the UI? It's a phone for crying out loud. Read any review online. They all point you towards CDMA, and Nokia/Motorola. That my friend is a fact.

I'm considered about the UI because I have to live with it for however long I have the phone.

And many, many, many, many, many, many, many people hate Motorola's current UI.

And it's a fact that every review online will recommend CDMA, Nokia, and Motorola? Every one?

Wow, you're...crazy. :eek: :eek: :eek:

dark54555
They have the exact same coverage. They share towers.

Cingular uses 850 as well as 1900 towers. T-Mo only uses 1900 towers.

So no, you are incorrect.

Partial
My thought, Verizon would be your best carrier based on my experiances. I'm about to ditch Cingular now and pay $350 in early termination fees just to get out from under them. :no:

While it is my opinion, I think GSM (Cingular, T-Mobile) sucks in this country and the CDMA signal will do you best (Verizon, Sprint). My in-laws are truck drivers and they love Verizon because they almost always have a signal; the same can't be said about GSM.

That being said will limit your phones down. Verizon's crippling of features is true, but most can be overcome with a USB cable and some minor software mods, and some major, like re-flash the phone. The biggest gripe about Verizon is the lack of data transfer from computer to phone through Bluetooth, so use the cable. Having a PC around would be better, or Bootcamp/Parallels should be able to do you find since most phones talk to PC's more than Mac.

I am a Moto fan, but don't really like the Q. To wide and thin for me. I have been using a 8125 (http://www.cingular.com/8125_consumer) for about 6 months now and don't mind Windows Mobile 5. I wouldn't recommend the phone because I hate the GSM network, but I would recommend XV6700 (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Verizon-XV6700.htm) from Verizon. Easily hacked through the help of a phone forum I use all the time for stuff like this, Howard Forums.

The XV6700 (and 8125) are full touch screen PDA phones, the Q is a Smartphone without the touch screen. I have a 2125 (http://www.cingular.com/2125_consumer) collecting dust right now because I didn't like the lack of screen inputs. (I've been using PDA's for years.) I don't think Verizon has one like this other than the Q which uses the same OS.

As for WM5 (PDA or Smartphone); I actually don't mind it that much at all. I miss most of my Palm apps, but I'm not to bothered really. The OS seems solid enough to me. I see a few bugs every now and then, but I am also running a hacked flash. It's almost expected to have a few glitches when you hack it.

I do have some older v710's laying around from when I was last with Verizon and I loved them. It was replaced with the e815 (http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1801) which I could also recommend highly to you. It has a great signal and is also far more sturdy than the v3 (which I happen to hate as well).

Hope that helps with another perspective.

this can not be underestimated. QFT. I know so many people who absolutely hate GSM in america. It seriously cannot hold a finger to CDMA.

dark54555
2006-07-13, 14:30

CDMA is older technology than GSM. CDMA is on par, generation wise, with the TDMA Cingular/ATT dropped years ago.

I'm not sure why you're making these claims when you clearly have very little understanding of the technology, the carriers, etc.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:31
I'm considered about the UI because I have to live with it for however long I have the phone.

And it's a fact that every review online will recommend CDMA, Nokia, and Motorola? Every one?

No, no i'm not. Go to any story. They say "Nokia makes the best phone. Motorola makes the best looking quality phones." Have you worked in cell phone sales or know that has? I am very, very, very informed on this matter. If you want to make an uninformed decision go ahead, but it would be to your benefit to ask a ton of questions to the providers at your home and your campus, and ask every available person for their opinion. And be specific, a lot of people think 2 bars is good service. 5 bars is good service, anything less you can drop a call on.

GSM is the king of 2 bars in America. CDMA you're almost always rocking 4-5.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:32
CDMA is older technology than GSM. CDMA is on par, generation wise, with the TDMA Cingular/ATT dropped years ago.

I'm not sure why you're making these claims when you clearly have very little understanding of the technology, the carriers, etc.

No, no. TDMA is older. CDMA is much newer and has MUCH better range. Notice almost all GSM phones consistently rock the 2 bars. CDMA providers almost always give 5.

You never hear of anyone leaving verizon or sprint. They're more expensive, but you pay for quality. GSM is shit.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:33

thats screwed up. Base your phone purchase around your needs, not a GUI. I personally would prefer a phone that works to one that looks pretty. :lol:

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:35
Advantages of CDMA

1) Capacity is CDMA's biggest asset. It can accommodate more users per MHz of bandwidth than any other technology.

2) CDMA consumes less power and covers large areas so cell size in CDMA is larger.

3) CDMA is able to produce a reasonable call with lower signal levels.

4) CDMA uses Soft Handoff, reducing the likelihood of dropped calls.

5) CDMA's variable rate voice coders reduce the rate being transmitted when speaker is not talking, which allows the channel to be packed more efficiently.

6) Has a well-defined path to higher data rates.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:36
I would only recommend GSM if you travel a lot outside of America. But when you're in America, you cannot beat CDMA

chucker
2006-07-13, 14:37
TDMA is older. CDMA is much newer and has MUCH better range.

This is completely meaningless since there are several distinct generations of CDMA.

chucker
2006-07-13, 14:38
thats screwed up. Base your phone purchase around your needs, not a GUI. I personally would prefer a phone that works to one that looks pretty. :lol:

If you think UI has to do with "looking pretty", you clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:40
This is completely meaningless since there are several distinct generations of CDMA.

Any current phone will have the latest version of CDMA :|

dark54555
2006-07-13, 14:40
No, no. TDMA is older. CDMA is much newer and has MUCH better range. Notice almost all GSM phones consistently rock the 2 bars. CDMA providers almost always give 5.

You never hear of anyone leaving verizon or sprint. They're more expensive, but you pay for quality. GSM is shit.

Actually, everyone I know who was on Sprint left because of the lack of quality. I was on ATT, now on Cingular, and I almost always have 5 bars. 850 GSM > 1900 GSM > CDMA. I get reception where no one else does.

And GSM range doesn't shrink, unlike CDMA towers, which lose range as more users use the signal. It's called "breathing."

CDMA, the original CDMA, is as old as TDMA. If you're talking about 1xRTT, it's the same generation as the current GSM-EDGE that both Cingular and T-Mo provide.

If you're talking about W-CDMA...that's Cingular 4G. Verizon/Sprint use EV-DO.

chucker
2006-07-13, 14:41
Any current phone will have the latest version of CDMA :|

And any current phone will have the latest extensions of GSM. So, what was your point again?

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:41
If you think UI has to do with "looking pretty", you clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

I have used motorola phones just fine for many years. Read the manual. They work fine. I'd expect nothing less than you guys that won't touch windows because the UI is so shitty :|

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:42
And any current phone will have the latest extensions of GSM. So, what was your point again?

What was your point? You didn't make it clearly because I responded appropriately for how I interpreted it. GSM sucks. CDMA sucks significantly less.

chucker
2006-07-13, 14:42
I still haven't seen any proof regarding GSM being of subpar quality, or GSM being a problematic feature.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:43
Actually, everyone I know who was on Sprint left because of the lack of quality. I was on ATT, now on Cingular, and I almost always have 5 bars. 850 GSM > 1900 GSM > CDMA. I get reception where no one else does.

And GSM range doesn't shrink, unlike CDMA towers, which lose range as more users use the signal. It's called "breathing."

CDMA, the original CDMA, is as old as TDMA. If you're talking about 1xRTT, it's the same generation as the current GSM-EDGE that both Cingular and T-Mo provide.

If you're talking about W-CDMA...that's Cingular 4G. Verizon/Sprint use EV-DO.

Shrinking. Fine, yes it shrinks. But it doesn't shrink to half the size. The range is so much further than it ultimately is moot. CDMA works much, much better in America. Read consumer reports and compare Verizon to Cingular. You will be surprised.

chucker
2006-07-13, 14:44
I have used motorola phones just fine for many years. Read the manual. They work fine. I'd expect nothing less than you guys that won't touch windows because the UI is so shitty :|

Being a professional Windows network administrator and tech support person, I'm not sure how that applies for me. Clearly I touch Windows a lot every single passing day. And no, I don't hate it either. Time to work on your prejudices?

GSM sucks. CDMA sucks significantly less.

So much intelligence in that statement. You keep pointing to alleged "consumer reports" without actually pointing out any in particular, aside from having gone one single generic, unattributed quote. How about some statistics? How about some hard research? How about, if you don't want to provide any of that, to just stop making up random stuff?

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:46
I still haven't seen any proof regarding GSM being of subpar quality, or GSM being a problematic feature.

Do you live in America? What gives you qualification to speak on the state of GSM in America versus CDMA when you have ZERO experience on the matter.

CDMA has better range, fewer dropped calls, more reputable providers. GSM has cooler phones, cheaper prices. Take your pick. What I look for in a phone, a device for talking to people, is the ability to talk uninterrupted and not waste time trying to decipher someone elses static. That's why I choose CDMA.

dark54555
2006-07-13, 14:46
Tensdanny:

1) GSM is mature, this maturity means a more stable network with robust features.

2) No signal deterioration inside buildings.

3) Talktime is generally higher in GSM phones due to pulse nature of transmission.

4) The availability of subscriber Identity Modules allows to user's to switch networks and handsets at will.

5) GSM covers virtually all parts of world so international roaming is not a problem.

6) GSM is a standard so operator doesn't have to pay royalty to use it.

CDMA fanboys are really kind of sad. Like Sony fanboys.

dark54555
2006-07-13, 14:48
Do you live in America? What gives you qualification to speak on the state of GSM in America versus CDMA when you have ZERO experience on the matter.

CDMA has better range, fewer dropped calls, more reputable providers. GSM has cooler phones, cheaper prices. Take your pick. What I look for in a phone, a device for talking to people, is the ability to talk uninterrupted and not waste time trying to decipher someone elses static. That's why I choose CDMA.

That's funny, Cingular was just named carrier with the fewest dropped calls in the US. And unless my phone has suddenly stopped working because the entire network changed, Cingluar is GSM.

Robo
2006-07-13, 14:52
Wow...my thread is turning into a CDMA/GSM war. How sad does that sound?

tensdanny, we heard you the first time. We know you think GSM sucks. I'm glad you're concerned about me making an informed decision, but you made your point.

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe HOM, chucker, or dark54555, because they're backing up their claims with facts.

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:53
Tensdanny:

1) GSM is mature, this maturity means a more stable network with robust features.

Yay!11one! I can use my cell phone to IM but I cannot talk to anyone on the phone because of my poor reception. w00t.

2) No signal deterioration inside buildings.

Ha! That's the funniest thing I have ever heard. If that isn't the definition of BS than I don't know what is. It doesn't matter what service you have, it's going to be worse in the center of a building blocked in by metal and concrete. BS.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3) Talktime is generally higher in GSM phones due to pulse nature of transmission.

Good, that extra time can be used wisely to determine what the other user was saying during their static-laced transmission ;)

4) The availability of subscriber Identity Modules allows to user's to switch networks and handsets at will.

Sim Cards are on the rise in CDMA. Moot point. As you can see, new technologies are consistently being added to CDMA as companies want it to grow in America.

5) GSM covers virtually all parts of world so international roaming is not a problem.

Good. It works OK everywhere. It is supposedly amazing in Europe. Wonderful. Robo, to my knowledge, couldn't care less how well it works in Europe. It does not work as welll here. Moot point.

6) GSM is a standard so operator doesn't have to pay royalty to use it.

Thats not an advantage. It's not like I pay a royalty myself to Qualcomm.. Moot point.

CDMA fanboys are really kind of sad. Like Sony fanboys.

So are GSM fanboys. This is an idiotic statement. You ripping on someone supporting their cause when you did the exact same thing. Hello pot, meet kettle. Jackass.;)

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:56
Wow...my thread is turning into a CDMA/GSM war. How sad does that sound?

tensdanny, we heard you the first time. We know you think GSM sucks. I'm glad you're concerned about me making an informed decision, but you made your point.

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe HOM, chucker, or dark54555, because they're backing up their claims with facts.

No, they're not. They're stating opinions. Chucker is overseas, so his opinion is moot. GSM is bad. CDMA is by no means great. It is the lesser of the two evils. You should really find out on your own where you are. Where I live, GSM sucks. All of my friends are unhappy with their razr's and slvr's and are paying big bucks to break contracts with Cingular and Tmobile to switch to Verizon or US Cellular. I live in a major city, so you wouldn't think service would be a problem.

Go to your house with friends phones. Go to your college with friends phones. Compare. Simple as that. Whichever works best is your answer. Don't worry about the UI. It'll be second nature in no time. Most importantly just don't lock yourself in to something where the primary function of the device does not work well. :)

Partial
2006-07-13, 14:58
That's funny, Cingular was just named carrier with the fewest dropped calls in the US. And unless my phone has suddenly stopped working because the entire network changed, Cingluar is GSM.

Verizon has the same claim. It's all marketing. Read consumer reports and E-Opinions and read what real people actually think.

Can we atleast agree that both technologies suck and were not well-thought out? Neither one works especially well. In the future we will definitely either see a ton more towers and thus cancer for everyone :lol: or a new technology with improved range and scalability.

Robo
2006-07-13, 14:59
Jackass.;)

Tensdanny, please. You're not helping my thread, and you're certainly not helping your cause.

I appreciate your input, but you've already made your point. Now, you're just being a troll.

HOM
2006-07-13, 15:01

You're welcome.

Welcome to my world! I've been through 10 phones in the last 2 years.

Assuming the phone is unlocked and it supports the right bands, it will work just fine. You can actually save your contacts to the SIM card so if you get a non-iSync phone the contacts come right over. Now, if you're getting a new phone from a carrier you will not get it at a discount. As a general rule of thumb, the outright price is $100 more than the discounted price. But like I said, there is no problem with switching phones. I used to use a BlackBerry during the week and a nice SE clamshell on weekends.

This is a bit more complicated than it seems.

First, there are two kinds of plans, regular and promotional. IIRC (Check with the carrier's customer service to confirm, I don't want you to get slammed with overages because I gave you old info) all carriers except Sprint will allow you to switch plans within your contract with no penalty. But it won't be applied retroactively. So if you go way over your minutes, you can't call up and get a plan with more. There's no 'topping off'. Also this won't extend your contract.

All carriers have promotional plans that they occasionally offer. IIRC (See caveat above) every carrier will allow you to switch to a promotional plan, but will re-up your contract for another two years.

One thing I would suggest, if you're scared of going over your minutes would be to sign up with Cingular and slightly abuse the roll over. If you sign up for a big minute package and then jump down a couple levels all those unused minutes will now be in your roll over bucket. It's a great way to have an overage buffer.

Oh, shit I almost forgot this last point. If you are going to get a phone from one of the carriers' current selection keep in mind where you buy it from and how you play around with your plans. Third party resellers will have added clauses in your contract that require an additional fee paid to them if you change plans before 6 months. That's because they lose their commission if you change your plan. It's always better to buy directly from the company if you can afford the difference in price you'll pay for the phone itself.

Now, having said all that, I have an official recommendation for you.

Roboman meet the Samsung D820. Samsung meet Roboman.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/mobilephones/mobilephones/images/d820_lrg.jpg

It has the same dimensions as the RAZR but is a slider form, has a 1.3 MP swivel camera, TransFlash (microSD) slot, QVGA (320v240) screen, and just about every other bell and whistle you'd want. Don't buy the T-Mobile branded version called the T-809. T-Mobile has crippled a lot of features like installing third party unsigned software (Opera Mini, Google Local).

The only issue is that it does not support iSync. That is more Apple's fault for not properly implementing SyncML and I don't really want to go over again how terrible iSync is. You can send your vCards from AddressBook to the phone via BT just fine.

chucker
2006-07-13, 15:01
They're stating opinions. [..] GSM is bad. CDMA is by no means great. It is the lesser of the two evils.

The one who has been continuously stating opinions, in this thread, is you.

Roboman asked a perfectly reasonable question, which had absolutely nothing to do with your anti-GSM tirade. He didn't ask what network is better. He didn't ask what network is better in North America either. No, he asked what phone he should be getting. And from what I can tell, his priority is not with whether one network may be better suited for his phone usage patterns or not, but with how well he can actually use the phone, whether it fulfills his desires and needs, and whether he needs to read the manual, as you ridiculously yet seriously suggested, or whether he can actually start fucking using the product. Good UI design is when your manual is semantically equivalent with /dev/zero, and judging from comments I've read on many, many places where the sun don't shine, Motorola is notoriously incapable of good UIs. And yes, that matters. It matters to me, and it matters to Roboman. To you, it may matter whether, when you're with sixty-six drunken sluts, your CDMA ĂĽber-phone with twenty Gigawatts of technology packed in can still perform three dozen calls at a time and yet have full perception. Others, however, want to use their products. Please respect them.

dark54555
2006-07-13, 15:07
HOM, the 820 is a solid phone...but an unlocked one is very expensive (Over $300 last I looked).

Cingluar has a similar phone, the d807 (based off the d800). http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=890

chucker
2006-07-13, 15:08
Can we atleast agree that both technologies suck and were not well-thought out? Neither one works especially well. In the future we will definitely either see a ton more towers and thus cancer for everyone :lol: or a new technology with improved range and scalability.

Once services like FON (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FON) take off, that luckily won't matter any more (although switching from one wireless network to another needs to become smoother still). In the mean time, WiMax is probably a far superior technology. Not intended directly for phone use, but certainly very capable.

Partial
2006-07-13, 15:10
Tensdanny, please. You're not helping my thread, and you're certainly not helping your cause.

I appreciate your input, but you've already made your point. Now, you're just being a troll.

my apologies good sir. Perhaps the initial questions should be: do you have a service provider? Are you locked into a contract? Are there any local regional providers? What tends to provide a better signal in your area - CDMA or GSM? Is your college nearby? What gives better service there? Are you going to be there the majority of the year? What features are you reasonably going to use on your phone? Is it primarily for texting or talking? Do you plan to actually take advantage of the camera on it? Do you want to use iSync? Are you satisfied with your current service? Is cost of the phone an issue?

dark54555
2006-07-13, 15:12
A bunch of poorly argued responses followed by Jackass.;)

Clearly, no amount of information will quell your rabid fanboy attitude. I quoted my list from the same place as your "advantages of CDMA" list for this very reason. You are completely blind to any positive of GSM, or the reality of cellular performance in America. Hence, anyone who says anything good about CDMA is speaking truth in your perception, and anything good about GSM is lying in your mind.

That is the behavior of a rabid fanboy.

HOM
2006-07-13, 15:14
HOM, the 820 is a solid phone...but an unlocked one is very expensive (Over $300 last I looked).

Cingluar has a similar phone, the d807 (based off the d800). http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=890
Sure, but you have to make some sacrifices with the D807.

I've put together a little PhoneScoop (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B%5D=813&id%5B%5D=825&id%5B%5D=890&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=) comparison.

Like I said before the CDMA/GSM mess, I'm a Sony Ericsson guy. They just make fucking kick ass phones.

Robo
2006-07-13, 15:35
Now, having said all that, I have an official recommendation for you.

Roboman meet the Samsung D820. Samsung meet Roboman.

It has the same dimensions as the RAZR but is a slider form, has a 1.3 MP swivel camera, TransFlash (microSD) slot, QVGA (320v240) screen, and just about every other bell and whistle you'd want. Don't buy the T-Mobile branded version called the T-809. T-Mobile has crippled a lot of features like installing third party unsigned software (Opera Mini, Google Local).

Wow, I like it.

Samsung is one of my favorite tech companies, but for some reason or another I never seriously looked at Samsung's phones. That's not the fault of the phones, however - their Ultra Edition (http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/21/samsungs-ultra-edition-9-9-12-9-6-9-worlds-slimmest-cellpho/) phones are just crazy. The UE candybar is as thin as an iPod nano, albeit with a bulge at the top for the camera. The UE slider (better known as the D900) isn't the world's thinnest slider - just the thinnest one with a 3 MP camera - but it's still cool.

Of course, none of those phones are available in the US yet.

But I'm digging the D820. I like slider phones, and the QVGA screen and swiveling camera might just seal the deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Robo
2006-07-13, 15:44
my apologies good sir. Perhaps the initial questions should be: do you have a service provider? Are you locked into a contract? Are there any local regional providers? What tends to provide a better signal in your area - CDMA or GSM? Is your college nearby? What gives better service there? Are you going to be there the majority of the year? What features are you reasonably going to use on your phone? Is it primarily for texting or talking? Do you plan to actually take advantage of the camera on it? Do you want to use iSync? Are you satisfied with your current service? Is cost of the phone an issue?

I've already answered many of those questions, but I imagine you didn't read the original post. For example, I already stated that I am getting rid of my current service provider (Virgin Mobile), and thus are not locked into a contract. I've already said that texting is important (qwerty would be nice), but I obviously want to be able to talk on it, too. And cost of the phone is obviously an issue, but I'd rather pay for a quality phone up front than endure a sucky one.

As for the questions I haven't answered, I do plan on using the camera (which is why I don't like Verizon disabling OBEX). As for features, I will probably use more data features once my new blog gets off the ground.

Partial
2006-07-13, 15:53
in my defense your original post was not infinitely long loaded with fluff.

Windswept
2006-07-13, 16:05
...but when you're having phone sex at 2am and its cold outside and you've got 24" of brick surrounding you on all sides, you're going to be glad you have that analog capability.
:lol:

;)

Robo
2006-07-13, 16:10
in my defense your original post was not infinitely long loaded with fluff.

In my defense, I wasn't the one who started talking about phone sex in an unrelated thread, and then accused someone else's post of being "loaded with fluff."

Whee! This is fun!

Back on topic...HOM, chucker, or anyone with a valid opinion, I want to know your opinions on a specific phone. What do you think of the new Sidekick 3? (Or the Sidekick 2...they're not very different.) I know it's not designed for mobile professionals or anything, but I'm hardly a mobile professional, and the $20 unlimited data plan is tempting. Your thoughts?

dark54555
2006-07-13, 16:16
In my defense, I wasn't the one who skipped it and then asked someone for information already given.

Whee! This is fun!

Back on topic...HOM, chucker, or anyone with a valid opinion, I want to know your opinions on a specific phone. What do you think of the new Sidekick 3? (Or the Sidekick 2...they're not very different.) I know it's not designed for mobile professionals or anything, but I'm hardly a mobile professional, and the $20 unlimited data plan is tempting. Your thoughts?

I have two good friends who were both sidekick 2 users, and are now Sidekick 3 users. For simplicity, I'll re-post their reviews:

Well, I got it. I guess the best summary is:

- Every bit as bad ass as the SK-II
- Awesome MP3 PLayer
- Really good camera
- Smarter App-swapping and grouping
- Bluetooth
- EDGE
- Slimmer/smaller overall, better looking
- Removable Battery

Only complaints:
- Comes with 2.5mm jacked headphones standard headphone jack is 3.5mm - is there a jack adapter?
- Only came w/64M MiniSD card. Are all miniSDs the same? - looks like 1Gs on sale for <$30

My "work related stuff" involves surfing the Nation, AIMing Burnie, and texting and calling people (and now, taking picutres) - I don't expect that'll change with the Sidekick 3 - so, in that respect, nothing can touch it. Not the MDA, or any version of the Treo or Blackberry (and I've just seen the new releases of each)

Emailing is sweet - attachments, the typing (of course), the interaction and transition between other apps is awesome: phone numbers, urls, pics, etc are linked and automatically/quickly open the appropriate apps - never used it for my RoadRunner acct, before, though because it didn't do javascript - not sure if that's changed on the new one, but pretty sure.

I use the emailing function a couple of times a day just to send notes to myself - Yeah, emailing is awesome.

Ok, I've spent about a week with my Sidekick 3 now and I am not sure how I feel about it. Overall, I think I'm displeased with it. Here are some details.
Pros
Webpages seem to load much faster
Yahoo and MSN chat clients are great
Camera resolution is vastly improved
MP3 player works well
Battery can be swapped out now
Cons
Devices feels flimsier than sidekick 2
I don't like the fact the wheel was replaced by a trackball
Screen resolution is STILL THE SAME
Have to pay to re-download all the ringtones and applications I already paid for
Almost no applications are currently available for the Sidekick 3
Battery life is far shorter
L and R shoulder buttons are not as easy to use
Coverage seems worse than Sidekick 2
Phone has Bluetooth now (yes, that's a con, bluetooth sucks and you know it)

I guess the upgrade was good, however the camera still doesn't work for shit in low light, and the flash on it is a joke. The mp3 player is cool I guess, but I already have an iPod Nano, I don't need another mp3 player, plus the device doesn't let you assign mp3s you have as ringtones...LAME! The biggest problem for me is that I can't reinstall all my sidekick 2 applications. First of all, Tmobile is gonna charge me AGAIN for software I already purchased, and second of all, the applications have not even been ported to sidekick 3 yet! I mean, I'm not asking for much here, all I want is my God damned Terminal client so I can SSH into the servers, and my Clock application so I can actually set an alarm on the phone. Oh yeah, did I mention that you can't easily schedule alarms on this piece of shit?

I gotta say, I can't help but feel like the release has been rushed and that the device could probably have used another 3 or 4 months in testing, if for no reason other than to port old applications over. I'm not going to be selling my Sidekick 2 any time soon because I definitely see myself using it every now and then until the application support for the Sidekick 3 is better.

Overall, I'd say if you own a Sidekick 2 and really use it extensively, hold off on upgrading to the SK3. If you are curious about the Sidekick and want a phone that has great IM clients, yeah pick up a SK3 but don't expect to do much other than email/browse the web/IM/make phone calls....wow, I'm complaining about how my phone can't do anything more than that. Welcome to the future.

And there you have it, both sides of the coin.

Robo
2006-07-13, 16:22
Wow, thanks dark54555.

The Sidekick 3 is surprisingly pricey, to me at least. At $300 with a two year contract, it's $100 more than the Motorola Q, which is, for all it's faults, definitely a more capable device.

HOM
2006-07-13, 16:27
The SD3 is a very mixed bag. The device and UI look and opperate very well (ex-Apple guys founded Danger), but it's a closed system so third party software is expensive and hard to come by.

Also, the resolution is still 240x160. It makes browsing anything but PDA formatted sites difficult.

If you really want a QWERTY phone I'd go with the Nokia E61 or the SE M600i.

http://blog.treonauts.com/Nokiae61.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/M600_front_at_angle_2_crystalwhite.jpg

dark54555
2006-07-13, 16:31
or the treo. or the MDA or 8100 (T-mo/Cing).

Robo
2006-07-13, 16:35
The SD3 is a very mixed bag. The device and UI look and opperate very well (ex-Apple guys founded Danger), but it's a closed system so third party software is expensive and hard to come by.

Also, the resolution is still 240x160. It makes browsing anything but PDA formatted sites difficult.

If you really want a QWERTY phone I'd go with the Nokia E61 or the SE M600i.

Yeah, the resolution is my biggest complaint with it. That, and the lack of customization options, which wouldn't hurt so much if the UI didn't appear designed for preteen girls. ;)

I've never used the M600i. Have you? Do the combined keys work well? It think that's my biggest concern. I don't want to pony up for a QWERTY phone if the keys don't work well. Not that I'm set on a QWERTY phone, but I think it'd be nice.

And yeah, I like SE's phones a lot, too. One of the few areas I think Sony is still better than Samsung...

dark54555
2006-07-13, 16:42
http://img.engadget.com/common/images/3060000000048325.JPG?0.6809973273589432

MDA. Made by HTC for T-Mobile. Runs full Windows Mobile 2005. Very slick phone.

Robo
2006-07-13, 16:42
or the treo. or the MDA or 8100 (T-mo/Cing).

Yeah, I know the MDA is slick. I know many who drool over it. But I think it might be more than I need.

See, maybe my position is unique, in that I want a QWERTY phone, but I'm not sure I need a PDA. A Treo or MDA just seems like overkill to me.

That's one of the reasons I liked the Q. It doesn't feel like a PDA, because it doesn't have a touchscreen. It feels like, well, a smart phone. (Funny that.)

But idunno...maybe once I do get my new blog set up, I will want the increased data capabilities of a PDA...but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

This thread is all over the map. I started by asking about the RAZR, and now you're all telling me about Treos and MDAs that cost ten times as much. :D Sorry if my needs are so vague...

World Leader Pretend
2006-07-13, 17:13
Am I the only one that likes my RAZR? :D

I have a RAZR V3c (Dark Gray) on the ALLTEL network and I think everything about it is usable and functional. The UI is fine, and there are dedicated keys to access the camera and menu. Bluetooth works great for syncing, although I had to add a slight hack to make it work. Clear sound, no dropped calls, Clean interface.

I think many people dislike the RAZR due to Verizon crippling things and adding their stupid Red UI. I have a totally functional phone that does about anything and is really thin, what more can you ask for?

Avoid Verizon, Alltel is much better for the RAZR. Oh, and the back isn't engraved with a logo either!

dark54555
2006-07-13, 17:19
well, I like my SLVR, and it's essentially the same as a RAZR, just non-flip.

The red UI can be fixed in about 2 minutes with a few downloads from motomodders.net (just load a new skin. mine is a University of Texas one.)

MCQ
2006-07-13, 17:23
Page 2 reads like a weird Ars Battlefront thread. Some of those posts need to get weeded out, or split off into a separate GSM vs CDMA thread. Just a thought.

FWIW, I think often times the cell phone makers typically make very similar models to market at both the CDMA and GSM markets. So the network type shouldn't be a deciding factor until after Robo figures out what model of phone to get.

Robo
2006-07-13, 17:53
Page 2 reads like a weird Ars Battlefront thread. Some of those posts need to get weeded out, or split off into a separate GSM vs CDMA thread. Just a thought.

Yeah, it was getting kinda outta control...

FWIW, I think often times the cell phone makers typically make very similar models to market at both the CDMA and GSM markets. So the network type shouldn't be a deciding factor until after Robo figures out what model of phone to get.

That is often true - to use a popular example, the RAZR V3 (GSM) and V3c (CDMA), or, nowadays, the V3i (GSM) and V3m (CDMA) - but oftentimes phones will be only available on CDMA or GSM, although that probably has more to do with carrier exclusivity than anything.

For example, out of the phones I mentioned, the Kickflip is available only on Helio (CDMA), and the PEBL is available only on T-Mobile (GSM).

I know I should pick my carrier first, and then decide on a phone. But since right now I can't actually see which carriers will work best in my soon-to-be-home, I'm looking more at the phones. I think I'll try to decide on a first choice for each carrier, and a first choice out of those, and then I'll just try as many of the carriers in my home as I can. (But, to be honest, my new house is basically in the heart of Vegas, so I'm not sure coverage will be a huge issue.)

turtle
2006-07-13, 18:11
One bit of advice for you is to follow these steps in this order:

1) Find the service provider that is best for your needs. (Price, signal, etc.)
2) Find the phone on the service that fits your needs. (UI, features, style, etc.)
3) Get signed up.

While I personally have to agree that my service with both GSM and CDMA that CDMA tops, *BUT* that might not be the case in your future service area. See if you can talk with people in your new area (Vegas was it?) and ask them for their experiences. Here in my hotel in Knoxville I have a FAR better Verizon signal than I do with Cingular. In Tidewater VA, where I live, I also have a better signal with Verizon than I have with Cingular. That might not be your case though. On my way from my home to the hotel here I had a signal almost the whole time with Verizon and only near major cities with Cingular. As much as I travel that patchy signal availability is just not satisfactory. Same scenario when I travel to Raleigh from my house, Verizon tops and Cingular has nothing for most of the trip until I hit I-95.

Consumer Reports and Phone Scoop and all the others (like HOM, chucker, dark#####, tedsomthinghere on this forum) are all telling you their opinion. Fact is you are going to be using the service and the phone on that service. You need for them to be right for you. Remember that everyone here is stating opinion though some are backed with a few facts. Call ahead to where you are going and talk to people in the area and see which is best to them, get their opinion.

Your first step really is to find who you want to provide your service, don't get a phone and then the service because you got that phone. While you might be happy, if the service sucks than the phone is of little real value. Hope this helps you out.

BlueRabbit
2006-07-13, 22:07
Am I the only one that likes my RAZR? :D
Not quite, it seems almost so. ;)

Like I said earlier, my RAZR is working fine. The default UI isn't very good as many people have pointed out, but a bit of menu rearrangement can go a long way. BTW, Bluetooth didn't need any hacking on my part to work. I have T-Mobile.

Robo
2006-07-13, 22:40
I like the RAZR. I just hate the UI.

Like I said, I'd totally get the sweet (but oddly feminine-looking) RAZR 2 if it had Motorola's new UI (JUIX or whatever). It'll just be a few months too late...

But UI gripes aside, I think the RAZR is a fine phone. I do want the lime green one. But I think I'll pass, for now...

I know that some of the other problems people have mentioned - namely, dust behind the screen - have been fixed for more recent versions of the RAZR.

turtle
2006-07-13, 23:13
Wow, I thought the RAZR had the same UI as the E815/V710 but I was wrong. I was at the Verizon store today playing with one and it does suck. The good part is they still have the shortcuts so you can do most of the ready access functions, but now I understand the UI issue with the RAZR. :no:

The V3m looks cool though, but not for me. I still like the E815 UI and form factor.

zippy
2006-07-14, 00:17
The one who has been continuously stating opinions, in this thread, is you.

Roboman asked a perfectly reasonable question, which had absolutely nothing to do with your anti-GSM tirade. He didn't ask what network is better. He didn't ask what network is better in North America either. No, he asked what phone he should be getting.
-snip

Not to be a dick or anything, but actually, Robo did ask for opinions on carriers in the OP, and it was others who first started ripping on Verizon before tensdanny38 started defending them.

And lets all admit that just about all of this thread is purely opinion. There are a few facts to be found, but most of those are no more helpful than the opinions, as they come pre-packaged with the standard "Carrier Spin".

As for my experiences, I've had Verizon for 5 or 6 years, maybe more, and I've had good service just about everywhere I go that is fairly populated. Now there are thousands of miles of open country in MT where any signal is hard to find, but if you're going to try, you are usually better off with Verizon - not that Robo or others are planning on coming to MT anytime soon. ;) The key is that Verizon is about the only one who also seems to be hitting the smaller markets with any effort, and so by that virtue, I believe they do have a larger network. If you never visit any town with less than 200,000 or so people, I'm sure most of the carriers are OK. However, if you want to visit small town America, you'll likely be doing a bit of Roaming. Anyone East of the Mississippi should have no problem with just about any network (I say should). But when you get out West, it does make a difference. The "coverage maps" of the various carriers bear that out.

I've been using LG phones for the last four years or so, and the problem I have with them is that I can't get one to last until the end of my 2 year contract before I can upgrade and get the new contract discount. My current contract actually just ended today, and I've been running on a partially functional phone for the last couple of months waiting for it. I'll be picking up something this weekend.

Robo
2006-07-14, 10:57
Wow, I thought the RAZR had the same UI as the E815/V710 but I was wrong. I was at the Verizon store today playing with one and it does suck. The good part is they still have the shortcuts so you can do most of the ready access functions, but now I understand the UI issue with the RAZR. :no:

Verizon puts their own UI on their phones, and it's certianly not a big improvement from Motorola's.

Schnauzer
2006-07-14, 17:14

yea Whoa :eek: :eek: :err:

Robo
2006-07-14, 19:50
Moving on...HOM, I've heard that Sprint has a $15 a month unlimited data plan, but I can't find any mention of it on their website. Is it too good to be true, or does such a deal actually exist? Also, how are you liking the Sprint network, all CDMA vs. GSM thoughts aside?

HOM
2006-07-14, 20:19
Moving on...HOM, I've heard that Sprint has a $15 a month unlimited data plan, but I can't find any mention of it on their website. Is it too good to be true, or does such a deal actually exist? Also, how are you liking the Sprint network, all CDMA vs. GSM thoughts aside?
Sprint does have a $15 unlimited EDVO, they call it PowerVision. But I should point out that if you're planning on using the phone as a modem, Sprint can track the data usage. They will nail you for data overages. It's a violation of the ToS to use the phone as a modem.

Sprint has been ok so far. They took care of the little issues I had when I first signed up no questions asked. That's about all you can ask of from a carrier. There are always going to be screw-up, but how they deal with them is the mark of a decent company.

Check your PMs.

colivigan
2006-07-14, 20:46
Sprint does have a $15 unlimited EDVO, they call it PowerVision. But I should point out that if you're planning on using the phone as a modem, Sprint can track the data usage. They will nail you for data overages. It's a violation of the ToS to use the phone as a modem.
Cingular has the same BS in their ToS.

I'm getting a new Nokia phone, and I can download the Nokia PC Suite software that makes it pretty easy to use the phone as a modem via Bluetooth and the Cingular unlimited MediaNet plan. But according to my ToS, this is not allowed. WTF?

Are there any carriers out there with user-friendly data plans that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'm not planning to use my phone as my primary internet connection, but it sure would be nice to be able to tether to my laptop every once and a while when I'm out in the boonies to acces the internet or to dial into my corporate network. Why do they make this so difficult?

How is Verizon in this regard?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever actually been nailed for tethering/modem usage by the major carriers, and what did it cost you?

turtle
2006-07-14, 23:36
How is Verizon in this regard?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever actually been nailed for tethering/modem usage by the major carriers, and what did it cost you?
When I asked about it at the Verizon store I was told it's an extra $15 per month on top of you $45 unlimited Data plan. :|

As for Cingular, I use the USB tethering all the time. They don't want you to use BT for some reason, but it can be done with my phone after a little fancy foot work. I'm not sure about any other phone. No extra charges, in fact, Cingular pointed me to a file to put on the PC just to do this. I had to Google for how to tether with the MacBook, turns out to be BT. :) Only connects at 60-70k though even in EDGE territory. :(

Robo
2006-07-15, 11:20
Yeah...I know tethering is frowned upon, and I know that they could probably look at the amounts of data being transfered and catch you, but I wonder if they actually...do?

Or do they not want to lose a loyal customer that's already paying them $50 a month, and let it slide?

I'm sure it probably varies from carrier to carrier. It's not like I'm planning on using phone-as-modem a lot, but I'm curious. Exploring my options, and all that... ;)

Windswept
2006-07-15, 11:44
But something tells me that reading probably isn't your strong suit, anyway.

Sorry, but this comment seems rather unnecessary.

Robo
2006-07-15, 11:49
Sorry, but this comment seems rather unnecessary.

I'm sorry. I guess I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little...peeved at the time.

Sorry, Schnauzer. :o :o :o

I'll edit my post.

chucker
2006-07-15, 11:49
http://joemonahansnewmexico.blogspot.com/drama.jpg

This thread needs more drama!

Windswept
2006-07-15, 11:53
I'm sorry. I guess I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little...peeved at the time.

Sorry, Schnauzer. :o :o :o

I'll edit my post.
Thank you, Roboman.

Your apology to Schnauzer is very much appreciated.

HOM
2006-07-15, 12:02
I know it's slightly OT, but I think that Roboman is doing pretty well on his search for a new phone.

American carriers, I can't speak to European ones, make very little money on their voice plans if you come close to your monthly allotment of out of network minutes. That's why they all offer free mobile to mobile as an incentive have as many calls stay entirely within their network.

To make up for the lack of margins on voice calls, they sell you extras like data and text messaging plans. Even on the fastest EDVO/3G networks you can't use that much data if you are only browsing from a phone. The sites just aren't that big. I'm a heavy data user and the most I ever used on a non smart phone in one month was 40MB. That's with checking my email a dozen times a day and using Opera mini for heavy web browsing. So you buy a $15 plan, but use a negligible amount of data. It's pure profit.

But if you're tethering your phone, you are now consuming huge amounts of data. Even 'simple' websites are gigantic. Carriers all offer unlimited data plans for their PC cards and PDA phones that make up for the amount of data with large price tags. If you're tethering, any profit margin on the data plan is gone and you could even become a money losing customer.

Each carrier takes a different stance towards tethering. T-Mobile knows that it's going to happen so they limit which ports can be used based on what plan you are on. For instance, their simple all you can eat data plan only includes port 80. Depending on how much you spend, they start opening up ports.

Verizon and Sprint used to disable the DUN (dial up networking) bluetooth profile on their phones, but have recently included it. Now they have the phone's firmware report back how the data was accessed, either from the phone's internal applications or via DUN. If you use the phone for DUN, but don't have a Phone-As-Modem plan, you'll likely get hit with an overage charge.

Cingular, as far as I know, does not cripple DUN nor do they have the phone report data usages. It was the honor system unless you were using WAY TOO much data, like in the hundreds of megabytes. I don't know if that has changed recently. I never really used the phone as a modem except to show it off. EDGE speeds were just too slow for anything but email and light web browsing.

What does this all mean? Don't be stupid. If you use PAM lightly, you're likely be fine, but if you abuse it expect a big data charge and no sympathy from your carrier.

Robo
2006-07-15, 12:03
http://joemonahansnewmexico.blogspot.com/drama.jpg

This thread needs more drama!

Chucker, if you just turned my thread into one of those picture-posting threads, I will murder you in your sleep. :devil:

This thread can't be a picture-posting thread! It can't!

I need more help.

What do you guys think of this phone?

It's the LG Fusic. (http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/PhoneDetails.jsp?navLocator=%7Cshop%7CphonesAccess ories%7CpowervisionPhones%7C&selectSkuId=lgfusic&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1685535&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group&bmUID=1152982463936) (I can see the tagline now..."The Fusion of Phone and Music!")

It plays MP3s, AACs, and AAC Plus. Does that mean it plays iTMS music? I'm guessing not.

At 0.8" thick, it's not a RAZR, but it ain't bad. I like the design.

The best feature is this:

To make music navigation easy, the Fusic™ is designed with an external navigation pad similar to the most popular MP3 players.

Yay! It's an iPod ripoff! But at least it isn't a RAZR ripoff, like the Samsung "At least they decided against calling it the Blade" A900. (A worse offender: Sprint's new Sanyo Katana. Yes, I'm serious.)

It's one of a whopping four Power Vision phones available in Vegas, and I'm really not sure I want a phone as businessy as the Treo 700p (although, when I actually saw one, I was surprised by the size...it looks a lot bigger in pictures).

Let me know if the link doesn't work...time outs, and all that.

Robo
2006-07-15, 12:13
I know it's slightly OT, but I think that Roboman is doing pretty well on his search for a new phone.

Wow, thanks. You don't know how much means, coming from The Mobile Phone God. :D

Question: This (regarding Power Vision on the Fusic) worries me:

Web

Check out full-color versions of popular websites...

It's the "popular websites" bit that bothers me...I know that nobody in their right mind would try and browse most of the internet on a tiny screen, but I don't want to be limited to special "Power Vision" versions of Yahoo and a few others, either...

HOM
2006-07-15, 12:29
Ahhhh the Fusic™.

So close to being good, but sooooooo far.

LG makes great phones with nice clean UIs, but for a music phone it's missing one major feature. It can't multi-task at all so if you're planning on sending a SMS while listening to your favorite song you're shit out of luck. Once you leave the MP3 player (did I mention that the phone has two media players? One for MP3 and AAC, the other for the DRMed WMA songs that Sprint sells.) the music stops. It won't even remember where you were in the song so you can pick it up again.

This is something that the iTunes Moto phones and Sony Ericsson Walkman phones do exceedingly well.

The Fusic™, as with all non iTunes Moto phones, will not play iTMS songs in their native form. You can always burn and rip to get them into MP3/AAC.

Robo
2006-07-15, 14:54
AUGHHH!

Here's the deal. The RAZR 2 KRZR RAZR K1 ("K1?" Huh? Why not "V4?" Don't tell me we're going to see a whole line of different RAZRs now...) showed up on the FCC site today (or yesterday, 'cause Friday is usually when they post their stuff). As those who are "in the know" know, the FCC site is often a treasure trove of information, especially for phones like the K1 that haven't been announced but are so close to release. (Motorola has adopted Apple's "We'll announce it when we ship it" policy, but seeing as how many people have posted K1 hands-on impressions, they're still a novice at keeping things secret.)

Among the pictures (which we've already seen) and the specs (which we already knew) was the user manual. And guess what? The K1 will, in fact, showcase Motorola's new, vastly improved Synergy UI.

You're probably wondering why I said "AUGHHH!" and not "Ahhhh...". Two reasons:

1) This phone will hit Cingular in September - just a month after I need to get a new phone.

2) This news breaks mere hours after I realize that I can't justify getting any carrier besides Sprint.

So, basically, the K1 is my perfect phone (small, simple, 2MP camera, EDGE...), but I just found my perfect plan, and the two are not compatible.

Am cry. :( :( :(

turtle
2006-07-15, 16:19
Well, at least you have chosen your carrier now. You know the new K1 will be out (or a variant of it) before long with the other carriers too. So extend your contract another year or two and get the discount.

Would you mind putting up a link for this FCC info spot? I would love to bookmark that one.

Robo
2006-07-15, 19:09
Well, at least you have chosen your carrier now. You know the new K1 will be out (or a variant of it) before long with the other carriers too. So extend your contract another year or two and get the discount.

Yeah, I'm sure there will eventually be a CDMA version of the K1 (probably sooner, rather than later - a "K1c" has already shown up in some Verizon documents), but if it's anything like the RAZR 1, Sprint won't touch it - opting instead for Samsung or Sanyo's ripoffs.

I'm not positive I'm going with Sprint, but unless anyone else has a better deal (doubtful) or if their network is absolute rush (possible - it is in my little piece of Minnesota), they're who I'm looking at.

Thankfully, my current VM phone uses the Sprint network, so I'll be able to try it out in my new house, etc. to see if the network is where I need it to be before I sign my soul away.

Would you mind putting up a link for this FCC info spot? I would love to bookmark that one.

Here's (http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=407339&fcc_id='IHDT56GT1') a link to the FCC page for the K1. (All the pictures, documents, etc. are in PDF form.) I'm not sure what their main directory page is, but I assume you can find your way there from here.

It might be hard to sort through all their exhibits, though. I don't know if they list phones by name, or even brand - each phone seems to have its own "FCC ID" - so your best bet might be to let someone else do the digging for you. Engadget Mobile (http://www.engadgetmobile.com) has a weekly "FCC Fridays" post that links the information for any phones of interest.

Hope that helps!

Robo
2006-07-15, 21:15
Ahhhh the Fusic™.

So close to being good, but sooooooo far.

LG makes great phones with nice clean UIs, but for a music phone it's missing one major feature. It can't multi-task at all so if you're planning on sending a SMS while listening to your favorite song you're shit out of luck. Once you leave the MP3 player (did I mention that the phone has two media players? One for MP3 and AAC, the other for the DRMed WMA songs that Sprint sells.) the music stops. It won't even remember where you were in the song so you can pick it up again.

This is something that the iTunes Moto phones and Sony Ericsson Walkman phones do exceedingly well.

The Fusic™, as with all non iTunes Moto phones, will not play iTMS songs in their native form. You can always burn and rip to get them into MP3/AAC.

I'm not disagreeing with you (okay, maybe I am), but Phone Scoop posted a generally favorable review of the Fusic. Yeah, they dinged the fact that the music players don't multitask, and (like so many other phones) you can't use music you transfered to the phone (over BlueTooth or via the card) as ringtones. (You can, however, use any music downloaded to the phone over the air as a ringtone, and there are some third-party websites that'll do that.) I'm really not sure how much I'll use the phone as an MP3 player, anyway. I might throw a few of my favorite songs on there, but I'm not going to use it to replace my iPod. To be honest, the inability to use your own music as ringtones bothers me more, but apparently there's workarounds for that. (Is it too much to ask for a phone that doesn't require "workarounds?")

The only other things they mentioned is that the external MP3 buttons were a bit finnicky (but again, how often will I use them?) and the fact that the phone wasn't quite "locked" open - it wiggled a bit. But other than that, the review was quite positive.

They posted a bunch of pictures, and I really like the design of the phone. It's much more "me" than a RAZR, even a lime green one. I like the white design and the colorful keypad lighting. They showed several (included?) faceplates for the front, and I liked the green one (coincidentally, all the colors seem ripped from the iPod mini).

Idunno, HOM. Of the whopping four Power Vision phones I can choose from, I think I might go with the Fusic (if I decide I don't want the 700p). The other two are the Samsung A900 (RAZR wannabe) and the A940, which has a nice camera and an admittedly cool twisting display, but an otherwise generic design. But user reviews on Phone Scoop are proclaiming "THIS PHONE IS BETTER THAN SEX," so I'll check it out, too.

Of course, I'll try to get them both in my hands and actually use them, before deciding. (Something I might be able to do quite soon - my small MN town does have a Sprint Store.) I'm not denying your criticisms of the Fusic - but like you said, "for a music phone it's missing one major feature." I'm just not really planning on using it as a "music phone."

I've got an iPod for that. ;)

EDIT: Whoops - the A940 isn't a Power Vision phone, the A920 is. And the A920 is a completely unispired clamshell which plays music but likely has the same ringtone limitations as the Fusic.

So, HOM, I guess that makes the question: If you don't think I should get the Fusic, what do you think I should get? The only Power Vision phones that are available (to me) are the A900, the A920, the Fusic, and the 700p. I'd love the 700p, but I'm really not sure if I should blow $400 on a phone...

turtle
2006-07-15, 21:33
It might be hard to sort through all their exhibits, though. I don't know if they list phones by name, or even brand - each phone seems to have its own "FCC ID" - so your best bet might be to let someone else do the digging for you. Engadget Mobile (http://www.engadgetmobile.com) has a weekly "FCC Fridays" post that links the information for any phones of interest.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, that's what I was looking for, or something like it. :)

Robo
2006-07-16, 23:26
Verizon must die.

One of my all time favorite phones, LG's "Chocolate," is coming to the United States. You think that would make me happy. It doesn't.

Despite being originally a GSM phone (obviously), the phone is showing up on Verizon first. Oh, I forgot to mention: Verizon ruined the phone.

Clicky. (http://www.verizonwireless.com/chocolate/)

They put their god-awful UI on there. This is worse on the Chocolate than on the RAZR, because LG actually makes really good UIs, unlike Motorola. Of course, this was to be expected...but it doesn't stop there.

In an attempt to make the Chocolate more "appealing" (read: iPod-like) they turned the D-pad into a very clickwheel-esque circle. This wouldn't be bad if A) it didn't ruin the ultra-simple look of the Chocolate, B) the D-pad buttons weren't designed to shine "through" the plastic, a la Olympus m:robe, and C) they didn't use a different shade of plastic for the psuedo-clickwheel. It's a matte dark grey on top of glossy black. (And it doesn't look nearly as good as the black iPod.)

So, the Chocolate's once-unique D-pad now looks just like any other phone. But wait! LG's desecration of the Chocolate doesn't end there.

The Chocolate is known for it's unique "checkerboard" keypad. Like the RAZR's electroluminescent metal keys, the checkerboard keypad is a trademark. It's famous. It's iconic.

It's gone.

Yup, an all-black keypad lies in its place. It would be like taking an iMac and painting it beige.

Verizon turned a great design into crap because they wanted to make it more like a "normal phone." Well, it worked. The Chocolate is now just an ugly, normal phone.

They will never get a cent from me.

Verizon took one of my favorite phones and spat on it. And then slapped on their sucky UI.

Am cry x 2. :( :( :(

DMBand0026
2006-07-17, 00:28
Ridding Verizon phones of their standard UI isn't difficult at all, you just have to know where to look. I like Verizon a lot, but I certainly won't be using their UI, I'll be using the UI that was meant to be used with my phone.

AsLan^
2006-07-17, 00:35
Hey Roboman, do you ever visit Korea?

If so could you recommend a phone over here that I could use. I'm looking for some kind of SD card expandability and a J2ME.

Also a PC interface that I can use to manage multimedia on the phone without having to use Korean websites. Basically, I want to be able to use my own multimedia and give developing for J2ME a try. But... I'm not very good at Korean so I need an english interface and compatibility with english dev tools.

Partial
2006-07-17, 01:23
Idunno, HOM. Of the whopping four Power Vision phones I can choose from, I think I might go with the Fusic (if I decide I don't want the 700p). The other two are the Samsung A900 (RAZR wannabe) and the A940, which has a nice camera and an admittedly cool twisting display, but an otherwise generic design. But user reviews on Phone Scoop are proclaiming "THIS PHONE IS BETTER THAN SEX," so I'll check it out, too.

1. You should not blow 400 on a phone. Realistically, you can get a used laptop for that that does all of those things better for less.

2. Anyone who compares to phone to sex clearly is not having sex with someone they love :lol: ;)

Robo
2006-07-17, 09:42
1. You should not blow 400 on a phone. Realistically, you can get a used laptop for that that does all of those things better for less.

Really? A $400 used laptop can connect to EV-DO, fit in my pocket, and make and recieve phone calls?

Wow. What have I been thinking? Dell, here I come!

Partial
2006-07-17, 12:35
Really? A $400 used laptop can connect to EV-DO, fit in my pocket, and make and recieve phone calls?

Wow. What have I been thinking? Dell, here I come!

You certainly are the man at being condescending. Anyhow, do you really need all those features on the go? How often are you going to be using a bluetooth connection or mp3 player on the go? I am assuming you have an iPod like everyone else, so where does the bluetooth come in? As for texting quickly, why not just call the person and save time/money. For someone about to embark into the world of college debt, I don't know exactly what your thought process is here, but it is very evident to me you have very little money managing skills. Unless all your college is paid for, then I don't think that spending half a G on a phone is a good idea, when you can get a phone that probably functions better for free. That is just piss poor money management.

chucker
2006-07-17, 12:50
Anyhow, do you really need all those features on the go?

Fitting in one's pocket is rather useful "on the go", yes. The ability to make phone calls, too, is very helpful.

How often are you going to be using a bluetooth connection [..] on the go? I am assuming you have an iPod like everyone else, so where does the bluetooth come in?

Who said that was for "on the go"? Here's a few things Bluetooth can do for me, on the go or not:

Putting a good Bluetooth-enabled cellphone next to my MacBook Pro helps me:
• keep contacts and calendar events in sync
• transfer files
• unlock and relock my MacBook Pro's screen automatically based on proximity

I could do the first two using a cable, and I could do the third the hard way, but why should I have to? This is 2006, not the 1970s. Convenience is the entire fucking point of a cellphone. If you don't care about convenience, save the cellphone's money and just use a public phone booth.

As for texting quickly, why not just call the person and save time/money.

Er, because texting is cheaper? Because many messages are better transmitted with text? Because this gives the recipient a permanent log file of the exact content being transmitted, which could be a significant piece of information to look back at days or weeks later, and near-impossible to transmit, let alone store, via audio?

For someone about to embark into the world of college debt, I don't know exactly what your thought process is here, but it is very evident to me you have very little money managing skills.

Or maybe you just haven't discovered the wonderful formula of life vs. money yet: being overzealous in saving money makes your life needlessly hard, and actually makes you end up waste more money fixing your troubled life in the long run. Regularly spending a reasonable amount of money on convenience, on the other hand, enables you to live a life you actually enjoy, which makes you happier and more productive, which makes you money.

Partial
2006-07-17, 13:05
Fitting in one's pocket is rather useful "on the go", yes. The ability to make phone calls, too, is very helpful.

A free nokia phone will work better for making phone calls than any 400 dollar phone. Especially in the ease of use.

Who said that was for "on the go"? Here's a few things Bluetooth can do for me, on the go or not:

Putting a good Bluetooth-enabled cellphone next to my MacBook Pro helps me:
• keep contacts and calendar events in sync
• transfer files
• unlock and relock my MacBook Pro's screen automatically based on proximity

I could do the first two using a cable, and I could do the third the hard way, but why should I have to? This is 2006, not the 1970s. Convenience is the entire fucking point of a cellphone. If you don't care about convenience, save the cellphone's money and just use a public phone booth.

Thats why I said get a cheap laptop if those features that he needs are not for on the go. If he is going to use them while sitting in a dorm or house, why look at a 2" screen and navigate with with a keypad instead of using a mouse?

Er, because texting is cheaper? Because many messages are better transmitted with text? Because this gives the recipient a permanent log file of the exact content being transmitted, which could be a significant piece of information to look back at days or weeks later, and near-impossible to transmit, let alone store, via audio?

Voice memo's can be easily saved. Also voice mails. Texting is an additional cost to every plan. Waste of money. Perhaps if you cannot speak texting may be easier, but generally people can do that..

Or maybe you just haven't discovered the wonderful formula of life vs. money yet: being overzealous in saving money makes your life needlessly hard, and actually makes you end up waste more money fixing your troubled life in the long run. Regularly spending a reasonable amount of money on convenience, on the other hand, enables you to live a life you actually enjoy, which makes you happier and more productive, which makes you money.

Chucker, I live a life of luxury. I always will. Read the book the millionaire next door, then get back to me. Having an extravagent 400 dollar phone isn't going to get you anywhere. If you absolutely need to have email access at every second your company will give you a blackberry, they will not expect you to go buy one yourself. This kid is doing it to impress people, that is rather obvious. Being an Apple fan, you should be a fan of simplicity. The iPod is great and became so popular because its so simple. It is a music player exlusively (though the new ones with video and shit are just complicating the matter) and they do it quite well. A cell phone should be used to make phone calls and that is it. Anything else is a boat load of extra crap that is there simply for bragging rights.

The thing is having a fancy pants 400 dollar phone is nothing to brag about. Having nice posessions later on in life, while sipping margaritas on a beach and being waited on 24/7 is something that can be bragged about. How do you accomplish this you ask? You invest your money rather than pissing it away on goods the lose their value in a year. Money saved is money gained my friend.

While you may live comfortably and choose not to enter the password on your fancy computer, I will take my basic phone, manually enter the password, and have 400 more dollars in my pocket. As my parents and grandparents say, this is the exact reason people have no money today.

chucker
2006-07-17, 13:12
A free nokia phone will work better for making phone calls than any 400 dollar phone. Especially in the ease of use.

Good luck proving that.

Thats why I said get a cheap laptop if those features that he needs are not for on the go. If he is going to use them while sitting in a dorm or house, why look at a 2" screen and navigate with with a keypad instead of using a mouse?

What part of this don't you understand? I have a laptop, and I would have a cellphone if I needed one right now, and I would use them both. Further, I also have an iPod mini, and I use that as well. And both the iPod mini and the cellphone would sync information with the laptop, the "hub", if you will. I cannot always take the laptop with me for space contraint reasons, but I can almost always take the iPod mini with me, and the same would go for a cellphone. Then, as soon as I get home, I can use the Bluetooth functionality on the cellphone together with the Bluetooth functionality on the laptop.

Voice memo's can be easily saved.

Good luck copy and pasting from them.

Read the book the millionaire next door, then get back to me.

Read the book "How not to bullshit people by asking them to read random books, and actually writing up a proper response instead", then get back to me.

Being an Apple fan, you should be a fan of simplicity.

And that's why I would hate to use any cellphone with a terrible Bluetooth implementation.

A cell phone should be used to make phone calls and that is it.

It should focus on that, but not make it exclusive. The iPod mini allows me to read notes, browse contacts and events, even play a few games. And I use all those features, and would miss them if they weren't there.

While you may live comfortably and choose not to enter the password on your fancy computer, I will take my basic phone, manually enter the password, and have 400 more dollars in my pocket. As my parents and grandparents say, this is the exact reason people have no money today.

Your parents and grandparents, however, did not grow up in the same generation as you and I, and thus do not know jackshit about what life is like these days.

BenP
2006-07-17, 13:33
For someone about to embark into the world of college debt, I don't know exactly what your thought process is here, but it is very evident to me you have very little money managing skills. Unless all your college is paid for, then I don't think that spending half a G on a phone is a good idea, when you can get a phone that probably functions better for free. That is just piss poor money management.

Who the fuck are you to question someone else's finances?

turtle
2006-07-17, 17:26
So Roboman, what phones are you looking at now? Seems you have narrowed yourself down to Sprint and the carrier. Have you also looked at some of the off shoot like ESPN, Disney (I know not for you), etc... Sprint is leasing their towers to more and more companies. Would one of them work for you? In fact, I have heard some of the cable companies are starting to offer cell service now backed by Sprint.

While Sprint isn't my choice still, there are other options like if you're into sports. just a thought.

As DMB said, you can always flash the phone and put what should be there in the first place...

Robo
2006-07-18, 13:54
Wait...huh? He starts by telling me that I'm condescending, and then proceeds to tell me that I have no money management skills and I'm just considering getting the Treo 700p to impress people? I know tensdanny has become increasingly antagonistic, but his recent attacks have become especially hurtful... :(

For the record, I have saved the majority of the money I have earned at my high school job, so even if I was splurging on a luxury phone, it wouldn't be without earning it. As far as impressing people, the people that I would want to impress with a phone wouldn't be impressed with the geeky, business-like, IT-department-drool-inducing 700p. Just a thought.

Maybe a 700p would actually be...you know, useful to me? Or, here's a shocker...maybe a 700p might actually help me make money? (As a writer, I can't just ask my company to buy me a BlackBerry, like tensdanny suggested.)

And finally, with Sprint's Power Vision plan, a free phone isn't an option. I'm deciding mainly between the $179 Fusic and the $399 Treo. (There's two $99 phones, as well, but I don't like either of them.)

Moving on...I'm not set on a 700p, although I definately feel that it would be useful enough to me to warrant the pricetag.

turtle2472: I have looked at some of the MVNOs on Sprint's network (namely Helio, with their awesome Kickflip) but the reason I'm considering Sprint's network in the first place is for their plan. Specifically, their $15 unlimited data plan. ;) Helio has unlimited data plans, too, but they'd cost more than if I went with Sprint. I'll just have to pass up the Kickflip, even if it is now free with rebate. :(

alcimedes
2006-07-18, 14:12
Ok, enough shit about how people aren't living their lives right.

If you have a suggestion for phones please feel free to share. Enough of this my e-dick is bigger than yours crap.

zippy
2006-07-18, 15:27
So I went down to look at new phones today, and given that I am stuck with Verizon or Alltel here in MT, does any one have any insight on:

Alltel as a service provider or;

Nokia 6256 on Verizon?

Partial
2006-07-19, 17:17
6016i. Affordable, works perfectly, functional, efficient.

v.noir
2006-07-19, 17:36
I like my phone (http://www.nokia-asia.com/nokia/0,,28252,00.html).

Kraetos
2006-07-19, 18:43
The only problem I have with the 700p is that its a whopping .9 inches thick. Thats no fun to carry around in your pocket all day. I had a 650 for a little while but I didn't like having that in my pocket all the time.

Thats what I really love about my RAZR - its only .45 inches thin. I've decided that .5 inches is the magic thickness at which you forget things are even in your pocket. After carrying around the RAZR for a month or two, I swore to never buy a portable device thicker than .5 inches because if its too thick, I simply wont end up carrying it with me.

However, I can see the advantage, if you need a PDA, to carrying around a single .9 inch device instead of a .45 inch RAZR and a .6 inch Z22. I would LOVE to have a PDA, and have tried before, because I am possibly the least organized person I know, but the problem is I never take it with me because its too thick. And I would rather carry two half inch devices with me than one .9 inch device because half the time I don't need the PDA, really I only need it for when I go to class.

That said, I am seriously considering a T|X, but the $400 gives me pause because its STILL .6 inches. The Z22 isnt bluetooth, and I want bluetooth. You would think someone would have come up with an ultrathin PDA by now, but no...

The day Palm releases an ultrathin PDA with built in bluetooth, count me in.

My recommendation is a V3i is you're on Cingular (you can find them on eBay) and the Samsung A900 if your on Sprint. Its .57 isn't quite the .45 of the RAZR, but its close enough.

If you end up with the 700p let us know what you think about it. I havent yet looked at it but sometimes the design of the phones case can make it feel smaller than it actually is.

Robo
2006-07-19, 22:56
My recommendation is a V3i is you're on Cingular (you can find them on eBay) and the Samsung A900 if your on Sprint. Its .57 isn't quite the .45 of the RAZR, but its close enough.

If you end up with the 700p let us know what you think about it. I havent yet looked at it but sometimes the design of the phones case can make it feel smaller than it actually is.

Yeah, I'm still not sure if the 700p is for me. It is quite large and expensive.

If I don't like the Fusic, I might go for the A900 after all, even though the idea of buying an imitation rather than an innovation bugs me.

As a person who dabbles in design myself, I don't like to support companies who's designs are so obviously inspired by others. Even if it is Samsung.

(Plus, I've heard the battery life of the A900 leaves much to be desired.)

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that A) a CDMA "K1c" version of the RAZR K1 is released almost immediately (which seems to be the case) and B) Sprint reverses their "Who needs a RAZR when you can have an A900 or Katana?" thinking. But that's hardly likely.

I'm going to stop by my Sprint Store and try out as many of the Power Vision phones as I can. Obviously, no review can compare to actually using the phone.

screensaver400
2006-07-25, 22:19
I have a BlackBerry 7130e (Yes, tensdanny38, my employer gave it to me). However, it is a great great phone. I love it. If I ever get a job where I have to give up the BlackBerry, I will probably purchase one. It is just that useful to me.

World Leader Pretend
2006-07-25, 22:32
So I went down to look at new phones today, and given that I am stuck with Verizon or Alltel here in MT, does any one have any insight on:

Alltel as a service provider or;

Nokia 6256 on Verizon?

From what I've dealt with from Alltel, they seem to be pretty reasonable and the better choice compared to Verizon because:

A. They don't etch your phones with a logo

B. They have a pretty good GUI (on moto phones at least)

C. No "Red" themes

D. Circle of Friends thing lets you list 10 people on any carrier and call them or receive calls from them for free. You don't have to pay extra for this feature.

Alltel may not have as good 3G service as Verizon, but otherwise they are pretty underrated as a carrier. I'm in the Midwest and they do fine out here.

Robo
2006-07-26, 00:00
Yeah, I've heard good things about Alltel, too - especially their midwest coverage.

They're definitely better than Verizon.

Partial
2006-07-26, 00:51
Yeah, I've heard good things about Alltel, too - especially their midwest coverage.

They're definitely better than Verizon.

I believe they use the exact same towers. CDMA is good pretty much anywhere. It's all about getting a tri-band CDMA phone. You'll get service anywhere.

Robo
2006-07-26, 01:27
I believe they use the exact same towers. CDMA is good pretty much anywhere. It's all about getting a tri-band CDMA phone. You'll get service anywhere.

Well, Alltel lets Verizon use their towers, if that's what you mean.

Alltel recently claimed to having the largest wireless network in the US - as far as square footage is concerned. And it's probably true: Alltel has been gobbling up regional carriers left and right, and while they don't have as many subscribers as Verizon, et al., they definitely get their roaming dues from the larger carriers. They're kinda the "dark horse" carrier, as World Leader Pretend describes.

And no network will give you service anywhere.

zippy
2006-07-26, 09:56
Thanks for the input regarding Verizon vs Alltel. While checking around though, I stumbled across a local MT carrier - Chinook Wireless. They have contracted Nokia to build them a new GSM/GPRS/EDGE network in MT and it is supposed to be finished in a week or two. They also have a roaming agreement with Cingular so I can have out of state coverage too.

So, I think I'll wait until they release their new coverage maps and see what they have to offer. My wife is still on Verizon through her office, so if I pick up a new contract from Chinook, we can compare coverage when we travel around the state and after a year, I can decide if it is worth keeping or not.

D. Circle of Friends thing lets you list 10 people on any carrier and call them or receive calls from them for free. You don't have to pay extra for this feature.

Except that to get it, you have to have a plan that costs a minimum of $59.99. My current Verizon plan is only $35.00 before all the taxes and fees bring it to around $46.00.

Robo
2006-07-28, 15:51
And then there were two:

I've narrowed my phone choice down to two phones: The Samsung A900 and the LG Fusic. (The extent of my narrowing-down might be debatable, because Sprint's website lists only four phones*, and one of them is a Treo.)

The A900 is thinner and has an internal antenna and a higher resolution screen (a big plus for Opera Mini-ing), and it's cheaper, to boot. But I have some concerns about the small d-pad, and the 30MB of memory isn't expandable. And I've heard gripes about the battery life.

The Fusic has a thicker form factor, but I like the design more, despite the external antenna. The screen is lower resolution (220x176 versus the A900's 320x240), but it has a microSD slot (and includes a 64MB card). The Fusic seems to have better battery life, too.

Stupidly, neither phone lets me use my MP3s as ringtones.

I'm just really torn. If LG just put a 320x240 display on the Fusic, the choice would be easy.

Any suggestions?

*Despite the fact that Sprint's website bears no mention of it, Best Buy sells another Power Vision phone, the Samsung A960. I hate the silver color (I detest silver) but I really like the unique round extrenal OLED display -it's perfect for a clock. Unfortunately, the A960 is even fatter than the A920 (the fourth Power Vision phone Sprint sells), and I want to get my service direct from Sprint anyway.

Mugge
2006-08-20, 11:26
OH NOSE!

WTFQQB!

NO MOTO PHONES

(...)

Hear hear!

The SE k800i is a god-fucker of a phone! I recently had my k750i stolen by a pickpocket, and now I'm seriously considering the k800i as a replacement. Only thing halting me is the equally god-fucking cool Kodak Easyshare dual-lens camera. I don't think I would need such a potent camera-phone if I also got myself the camera. So I'll probably have to think a little about this one.

drewprops
2006-08-20, 14:12
The only thing to worry about is all the crap on your hip. I wear a phone and a digital Elph on my belt, a flash drive and bluetooth earpiece on a lanyard. An iPod would push me over the top if I didn't already qualify as a chief petty dork. But I'll say this: having a "real" camera on your hip is really handy.

I only came in at the tail-end of this conversation, where the summer heat was making you guys testy. It all boils down to how you use, or think you use, your gizmos. In the last couple of years I'm less prone to spend time fiddling with my gizmos to get them to work together. I just can't get myself to spend that money on a smart phone because as soon as I drop the money I will lose/destroy the device.

Mugge
2006-08-20, 15:10
Yeah, lugging all those gadgets around can be quite a problem. That's why I'm most in favour of the all-in-one camera/mp3/phone/PDA approach.

Here in Vilnius, where I'm currently living, we have this ghastly phenomena called the "manbag". Basically men walking around with small purses. It's just so much worse than a dork with his "tool-belt". They probably don't even have that many gadgets, they just think it fashionable to carry their wallet and mobile-phone around in a purse.

:no:

Robo
2006-08-25, 00:18
Just to let you all know what I ended up getting:

I got a Samsung T509 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=907) on T-Mobile. (Thanks for your help, HOM, but Sprint has poor reception at my college.)

I fell in love with the green PEBL, and it really is the most "me" phone ever, but I didn't want to deal with Moto's UI. But if Motorola ever announces a "PEBL U6i" with their JUIX UI, I'll totally jump on it.

Thanks for your help, everybody!

Res
2006-08-25, 15:26
I used Cingular for about 3 years, but I switch to Verizon because Cingular was unusable from my brother's apartment. I have an e815 which I like rather well.

Which carrier and phone you use has taking on religious meaning with a lot of people -- ignore them. It is really quite simple: pick a carrier that has good reception in the places you will be most often, and choose a phone that has features you like.

Res
2006-08-25, 15:41
The only thing to worry about is all the crap on your hip. I wear a phone and a digital Elph on my belt, a flash drive and bluetooth earpiece on a lanyard. An iPod would push me over the top if I didn't already qualify as a chief petty dork. But I'll say this: having a "real" camera on your hip is really handy.

I do the same thing, I ware a phone and canon digital camera on my belt at all times. I also ware my iPod for awhile, but I don't listen to it very often, so I stopped carrying it.

I am waiting for the companies to fuse together a real digital camera and phone (the size of my e815 and SD300 stuck together would be fine). I would much rather carry one somewhat larger device than juggle several smaller ones.

torifile
2006-08-25, 16:09
I've got to chime in with my undying love for my w600i. This phone is great. It's my "business" phone, so it's got to have good reception at all times. It does. I bet people can't even tell I'm on a cell. In the past 1.5 months, I've spent thousands of minutes on the phone and I've never once regretted having it. That and the fact that I can easily sync with my computer are 2 big pluses. And the battery life is great, too. Thumbs up on this SE phone. If the other SE phones are this good, I may have become an SE fanboi. :)

drewprops
2006-10-10, 19:17
I've started looking for my next phone, the one to replace my T-616 and I want to stay with SE. The m600i has really grabbed my interest and to see HOM mention it in between the boys fragging each other made me think that maybe I'm onto something. Can anyone else post more about that phone? I've seen some video of it on YouTube... looks kind of keen.

I guess my biggest worry is the whole SIM card thing. Do I just buy an unlocked phone and drop the SIM from my old phone into it? Is that all?

turtle
2006-10-10, 19:21
I've started looking for my next phone, the one to replace my T-616 and I want to stay with SE. The m600i has really grabbed my interest and to see HOM mention it in between the boys fragging each other made me think that maybe I'm onto something. Can anyone else post more about that phone? I've seen some video of it on YouTube... looks kind of keen.

I guess my biggest worry is the whole SIM card thing. Do I just buy an unlocked phone and drop the SIM from my old phone into it? Is that all?

If you get an unlocked phone it'll cost you more but also gives you more flexibility. With an unlocked phone it should work on all GSM systems with their SIM. IE, my Cingular Branded phone will work on T-mobile with a T-Mobile SIM since it is unlocked. If you go over seas, the phone would work with Orange or who ever. Lets also assume they are Quad-Band phones. If not then it gets trickier.

So the short answer is, yes, that is all. :)

thegeriatric
2006-10-10, 19:31

In a nutshell. Yes. The handset will cost more but then you have more service provider options etc.

HOM
2006-10-10, 20:03

It's a great phone with a few caveats. The QWERTY keys are two to a key so you have to rock the key to the proper side to get the proper letter. From what I've read, you get used to it in a week or two. Faster if you're used to another QWERTY phone.

It also uses Symbian UIQ which is a very good and mature phone platform. It can be a little Windows-like at time with it's use of tabs, but I've used the P800 extensively and it works very well. The other caveat is that it has neither a camera nor expandable memory. It's an email/data only phone.

That being said, IIRC, you have Cingular service and unfortunately the M600 is Tri-Band only. This would prevent you from using the M600 unless you are either out of contract or willing to break your contract to go to T-Mobile.

If you get an unlocked phone it'll cost you more but also gives you more flexibility.

Correct!

With an unlocked phone it should work on all GSM systems with their SIM.
Almost
IE, my Cingular Branded phone will work on T-mobile with a T-Mobile SIM since it is unlocked.
Almost. You didn't take into account the data and SMS settings. You need to reprogram the phone to properly work on the data network and to send/receive text messages. On some branded phones you can't change these settings. You need to flash it to an unbranded firmware. Not a problem in this case as drewprops would be buying and unlocked and unbranded phone, but something to point out nonetheless.
If you go over seas, the phone would work with Orange or who ever.
Correct, but see note about about settings.
Lets also assume they are Quad-Band phones. If not then it gets trickier.
This would be more relevant BEFORE you said that it would work no problems. Perhaps even pointing out that the phone that drewprops was looking at is a Tri-Band phone.
So the short answer is, yes, that is all. :)
Short answer is MAYBE, the phone that he wants will only work if he uses T-Mobile.

turtle
2006-10-10, 20:46
I somehow knew you would pick up my mess HOM. :)

I didn't look at what kind of phone it was so thanks for clarifying for him.

drewprops
2006-10-10, 21:59
Aw man, I can't move right now.

Now, this is what the SE website has to say about that phone (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10385)... the Networks it support are these:

GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
UMTS

So I need "Quad Band"?
That has one more GSM frequency?

As far as expandable memory goes, the SE website seems to indicate the m600i has some sort of memory expansion capabilities, am I wrong?

Memory Stick Micro™ (M2™) support
Phone memory 60MB

Going back to look at the other options....

HOM
2006-10-10, 22:11
Aw man, I can't move right now.

Now, this is what the SE website has to say about that phone (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10385)... the Networks it support are these:

GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
UMTS

So I need "Quad Band"?
That has one more GSM frequency?

Yup, you need the 850MHz band for it to work on Cingular.

As far as expandable memory goes, the SE website seems to indicate the m600i has some sort of memory expansion capabilities, am I wrong?

Memory Stick Micro™ (M2™) support
Phone memory 60MB

Going back to look at the other options....
Whoops, looks like it does have memory expansion.

I stand corrected.

:)

drewprops
2006-10-10, 22:57
Yeah, but it not being a Tr-Band is a bummer. How damn OLD is that phone by the way? It looks like some of the ones they're still selling are from around 2004. I really like the "candybar/slab" style phones because there's less mechanical fru-fru crap to break.

I'm going to look for some good rumors on SE phones, let me know if there are any possible upgrades on the way!

drewprops
2006-10-11, 08:36
Well I was slightly less interested in the P990i but I just read a damning review of that phone (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/04/sony_ericsson_p990i_review/print.html), plus I don't think that IT is quad band. Gee whillikers.

HOM
2006-10-11, 08:58
Well I was slightly less interested in the P990i but I just read a damning review of that phone (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/04/sony_ericsson_p990i_review/print.html), plus I don't think that IT is quad band. Gee whillikers.
If you want QWERTY, you should look at the Nokia E61/62

The E62 is Cingular's version so it's cheaper, but it lacks wifi.

turtle
2006-10-11, 09:01
Oh Drew, quit fighting it, you know you want the RAZR! :D

drewprops
2006-10-11, 09:14
Oh Drew, quit fighting it, you know you want the RAZR! :D

AACCKK!!!
I'm one of those people who just don't get Motorola's phone interface. I'm fine with their big walkie talkies, but phones? No thank you M'am.

The Nokia E62? Ehhhhh, it looks okay...

Hey, I just found an interesting page on SonyEricsson's website.
Now, the page I'm sending you to looks like a stub, but if you click on the items in the lefthand menu you'll see that it shows you WHICH ones of their phones POSSESS those features. It LOOKS like a shortcut to winnowing out the phones that don't have the features you want... am I right?

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp2_1_2&zone=pp&lm=pp2&fid=3451

Edit:
I've been searching the SonyEricsson site and they are Quad-Band poor. :(

drewprops
2006-10-11, 09:46
Okay, I've decided to live with my T-616 for the time being, there's nothing out there that is compelling enough to crack my wallet. Who's the next phone shopper? NEXT!!!

HOM
2006-10-11, 12:02
Okay, I've decided to live with my T-616 for the time being, there's nothing out there that is compelling enough to crack my wallet. Who's the next phone shopper? NEXT!!!

This (http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?loc=inside,main_n93) is the new hotness, if you've willing to drop $700.

Robo
2006-10-11, 13:31
This (http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?loc=inside,main_n93) is the new hotness, if you've willing to drop $700.And willing to put up with a massive brick phone. Yikes. :D

Thanks so much for helping me work through my cellular woes, HOM. I love my phone and my carrier. I'm glad they're T-Mobile is continuing to carry the T509 even though the T519 "Trace" is out (and cheaper than anyone imagined!). I actually prefer the T509's shape to the T519's - it's just simpler (no weird angles or camera bulges), even if it is a bit thicker. T-Mo is even continuing to push the T509, with the new plum T509s that works with myFaves.

In fact, I'm actually kinda disappointed that T-Mo hasn't marketed the Trace as much as they could/should have.

I love my phone. Maybe someday I'll pick up a "smarter" phone (the BlackBerry Pearl is tempting) but the only other "phone phone" I think I would consider would be the plum T509s (I honestly think I could get away with so many less minutes if I had myFaves).

So thanks for helping me out, HOM.

Banana
2006-10-11, 13:34
Out of interest, does anyone have a specific liking or disliking about any phone's QWERTY keyboard?

I thought the original Sidekick keyboard were just fantastic. Actually, I didn't think that until I tried Blackberry. I never felt so clumsy and awkward typing few sentences on Blackberry.

Then they had to go out and ruin the fantastic layout on Sidekick 2 and 3, which I hate. :\

drewprops
2006-10-11, 21:21
This (http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?loc=inside,main_n93) is the new hotness, if you've willing to drop $700.

OUch that's ugly, and somehow very familiar looking.
I've realized that I'm a candybar fan, mostly because I'd break anything else.
And joysticks on phones? They're SO much easier to use than a D-Pad, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Meli
2006-11-26, 19:23
So I'm gonna get a new phone soon. I'd like to try a slider and was wondering if anyone has had experience with one for an extended period. I usually keep my phones for a couple of years so I need to know if it'll last. Like the part where it slides. Do they get 'loose' over time?

drewprops
2006-11-26, 19:30
Simply put, I believe that anything mechanical is prone to break. I've never had a slider or a clamshell, but have seen people whose phones looked a little wobbly. On the other hand I've seen people who've had their phones last a good long time and had a young phone enthusiast at a CompUSA explain that the demo sliders they had were crap builds made just for looks at that all of his sliders have lasted a good long time. Comes down to how hard you are on your equipment.

I'm a rough bugger with my phones so they need to be candybars with very few moving parts.

Did anyone notice that Sony Ericssons were featured in the new version of Casino Royale? Wasn't sure if that white number the girl used was the M600... anybody know? Seriously wish the M600 came in Quadband.....

Bryson
2006-11-26, 19:37
I really like sliders. My Samsung D600 and D500 both still seem entirely solid, and my old 7650 was still fine when I stopped using it.

That said, I change my phone once every 9 months! So perhaps they deteriorate after that...I couldn't tell you...

Ryan
2006-11-26, 19:54
I've never had a slider, but I've been using a flip phone for the since May 2003 and it still works great. The flip mechanism shows no signs of wear that I can tell. It still works great. The only damage to the phone is a few small places around the external LCD where the paint has peeled off a bit. I tend to throw my phone around quite a bit so I'm surprised it's even lasted this long. Sanyo isn't known for making good phones, but they did a great job with the SCP5300 from Sprint. Sanyo even included two batteries, so when the one I'm on finally dies (right now it holds enough charge for a day), I can throw it out and use the other.

But, as always, YMMV.

Meli
2006-11-26, 20:55
Hmm... I'm considering the White Chocolate from Verizon, but I don't know if I like it that much. I'm thinking the novelty will wear off in a couple weeks then I'll be sick of it. And I have an iPod so its not like I need another mp3 player. But Verizon's other phones right now just don't interest me that much. Are there any reasons I shouldn't get one?

Robo
2006-11-26, 21:15
Uh...because the Chocolate sucks?

Sorry if that's harsh, but it's, um, true. The original Korean/European Chocolate was awesome, but Verizon ruined it with the fugly faux clickwheel and their awful UI.

Verizon has a tendancy to ruin things.

Seriously, though. I even hate the new lime green version, and it takes a lot to get me to hate something that's lime green.

Instead of dropping $200 or so on the Chocolate, here's my honest suggestion: Put those $200 towards an ETF (if you're still in contract) and get the hell away from Verizon. I am not a VZW fan. ;)

Meli
2006-11-26, 21:37
Yeah I like the non US version better too. But I wouldn't be spending $200 on it because of the new every two years thing. I've thought about it some more and don't think I'll be getting one. And about Verizon, I am out of contract and would like to switch but almost everyone I know is now IN. Plus the free phone is nice :D

Robo
2006-11-26, 21:43
You'd get a free phone anywhere else, too...

Verizon's IN strategy is pure evil. The more people who succumb to the seedy temptress that is Verizon, the more tempting IN becomes. :D

Meli
2006-11-26, 22:05
LOL its true. Well, I'll start looking at other carriers. I'm thinking T-Mobile. Apparently they have the least dropped calls in Los Angeles. How's their service?

Robo
2006-11-26, 22:17
I have T-Mobile and love it. I literally don't even have to think about getting signal anymore - it just doesn't cross my mind. (Caveat: I switched carriers at about the same time I moved to Vegas, so I haven't been able to compare signal extensively. From what I could compare, though, T-Mobile fared better than Sprint or Verizon.)

MyFaves is a great deal, too - but T-Mobile's best kept secret is probably their BlackBerry Minutes & Mail plans. I haven't had much of a chance to play with the BlackBerry Pearl, but people on HoFo are digging it.

Meli
2006-11-26, 22:38
I think I'll head down to the T-Mobile store this week and see what's going on there. Thanks for the advice all. And anymore on the original question? Sliders? Are they durable for, say, a couple years?

And yeah Drew, I noticed the Sony Ericssons featured throughout the movie along with all the other blatant product placement :err: What was up with that?

Robo
2006-11-27, 00:31
It's a Sony Pictures movie. Go figure.

Yonzie
2006-11-27, 06:43
And joysticks on phones? They're SO much easier to use than a D-Pad Personal preference. I absolutely loathe joysticks on phones. They're just... Slow.

Simply put, I believe that anything mechanical is prone to break.True. On my old Nokia 7150 the keypad cover was a constant PITA. However, my SE Z1010 and W900 are incredibly solid.

Did anyone notice that Sony Ericssons were featured in the new version of Casino Royale? Wasn't sure if that white number the girl used was the M600... anybody know? It is.