PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Wireless router

Quagmire
2006-07-14, 15:00
I need a new router as my POS D-Link router is crappy and is a B router and all my computers has the Airport Extreme which is a G. Many people say the Apple Aiport Extreme base is overpriced for what you get with it. Which it seems is correct. People have said the Linksys wireless WRT54G router is one of the best out there. Reading the system requirements, it is Windows only. Does it really matter what OS you use? Is it still easy to setup? What is the difference between the WRT54GS and the WRT54G? The only difference I see is the parental thing on the GS.

FFL
2006-07-14, 15:08
Yes.
Maybe.
Yes.
No.
No.
Maybe.
None.

BaRiMzI
2006-07-14, 15:13
i actually have that same router
works good, not super easy but not too hard to set up
my dlink router was easier to set up
the signal is really strong and has some nice features

Quagmire
2006-07-14, 15:14
According to a friend I am talking to whenever a Mac person bought the WRT54G, they couldn't get the setup software to work on it and he had to bring his PC over to set it up. Any other routers I can buy that are good so I don't have to buy the Airport Extreme base? :\

PB PM
2006-07-14, 15:16
Netgear routers uses a web based setup (type in the routers IP address in your web browser) and you can setup from there, its really easy, IMO.

FFL
2006-07-14, 15:25
Netgear routers uses a web based setup (type in the routers IP address in your web browser) and you can setup from there, its really easy, IMO.
Linksys should be the same. Yeah, there's PC software included, but you can ignore it and set it up using your web browser.

Robo
2006-07-14, 15:42
Have you looked at the Airport Express? It's cheaper than the Airport Extreme, and has several advantages, such as its small size and AirTunes. I actually wonder why Apple still sells the Airport Extreme.

sirnick4
2006-07-14, 15:45
I actually wonder why Apple still sells the Airport Express.

You mean Airport Extreme, Roboman?

I wonder that too. It gets pretty bad reception, at least in my usage. I love my Airport Express. It's been good to me.

Chinney
2006-07-14, 15:49
Would an Express be enough to network two home computers to a high-speed access, a common printer, and a back-up drive? Almost certainly not, I would expect. What will I need for that?

autodata
2006-07-14, 15:53
You need to get the WRT54GL. The other models have reduced flash memory and no longer have a linux-based OS (see wikipedia for more info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G)). If you get the WRT54GL you will be able to choose from a few different firmware options (I use dd-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.org/)) that add tons of functionality to the router, including everything from boosting the signal by a lot to installing openvpn to advanced bandwidth allocation controls and much, much more.

The WRT54GL worked perfectly out of the box with my Mac. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Like all of these kinds of routers, the setup is done through a web interface, so there is no reason to use a PC. Ignore the stickers talking about the windows-only installation CD. It's worthless. Toss it under your drink, plug in your new router, point your browser to 192.168.1.1 and enter the default admin/pass and you're ready to set it up.

There's also a rebate so you can get it for like $55 from amazon

Quagmire
2006-07-14, 17:38
I bought the WRT54G. Trying to set it up. But it isn't working. I go through the browser. Set the settings I need. Save settings. Airport card sees router and connects to it. But, I can't connect to the internet. Right now I am on the old router. Help please.

autodata
2006-07-14, 17:42
It could be a number of things, but there basically no info in your post. Does your ISP limit you to 1 MAC address? If so, did you set the new router's MAC address correctly? If you enabled WEP/WPA/WPA2, did you set them up properly? Is it getting an IP from your ISP? If not, have you waited a moment for it to do so?

Quagmire
2006-07-14, 17:45
I am a moron when it comes to networking and internet. I use Comcast High Speed internet. This is harder to set up then my old D-Link which also caused me trouble to set up, but it was still easier! I need step by step instructions.

autodata
2006-07-14, 17:52
How is it harder to set up than thed-link? You have to set the same things in the linksys that you do in the d-link, the only difference is that the d-link web interface is much less attractive.

Getting wireless stuff set up can no doubt be a PITA, but the difference between someone who knows how to do it and someone who doesn't is usually nothing more than that the former used the manuals and google.

Look into the stuff I mentioned above. Also note that on some routers you have to set something (I don't remember what) different for comcast, but it was clearly marked in the linksys interface on mine with a label that said something like "Check this box if you use Comcast"

Quagmire
2006-07-14, 18:43
I don't know really. I just plugged the D-Link in went through the browser. At first it didn't work. But it worked on the 2nd try.

Jerman
2006-07-14, 23:06
I second the WRT54GL. The older models of the WRT54G can run Linux as well. (And the newer one can as well, but it takes more work). I still have a Belkin, but will be buying a WRT54GL as soon as it is feasible for me.

ajnbruin
2006-07-17, 16:26
Quagmire--

I wish I had seen your post sooner. I would not recommend the Linksys. It died after less than a year and it constantly dropped signals. Maybe it was just my unit. I've heard netgear was better. I myself went with an Airport Express and I haven't looked back. But my networking needs are much simpler. Good luck and hopefully you can return your unit.

PB PM
2006-07-17, 18:22
We got a Netgear wireless router just over four years ago, and it is still working like the day we got it. Thats why I recommend them to other people. An Airport Express just does not have the needed connection ability (since half of our machines do not have wireless).

Brad
2006-07-17, 18:55
I would not recommend the Linksys. It died after less than a year and it constantly dropped signals. Maybe it was just my unit.
Every brand has lemons. Mine has worked flawlessly and I know others who have had Linksys routers working flawlessly for years too.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-17, 19:04
I'm back. With a 6 month old Netgear. That works perfectly. :D

autodata
2006-07-17, 23:23
Yeah, well my d-link has worked "perfectly" for years, but that doesn't mean I think everyone should go buy one. The linksys is much better (better range, for instance) and dd-wrt gave me features I've wanted for years.