PDA

View Full Version : NYC Apple Stores?

culinaryartfart
2006-07-20, 17:08
Hey Folks,

I'm going to be in the Manhattan area soon and I was thinking about stopping by one of the Apple stores to purchase a replacement for my very battered, but loyal G3 iBook. Has anyone had a chance to visit this location? Is it crowded?

I was also curious about apple store inventories. I'd like to purchace a newer model Macbook pro, anyone know what kind of a chance there is to get a recently built model from apple retail? Thanks!

Engine Joe
2006-07-20, 17:18
I've been to both of them. They're both very popular, and busy, even on weekdays during the day. But it has never been a problem for me - it isn't shoulder to shoulder, and there are lots of employees on the floor and available to help.

And they should - not WILL, but should - have all the latest stuff in stock. That ought not be an issue.

shatteringglass
2006-07-20, 17:18
The Fifth Avenue store is really crowded during regular hours, even late into the night. The SoHo store isn't as bad, but still a little cramped. You could visit the Fifth Avenue store late at night (like at midnight), but try not to get mugged when you're walking around with a huge MacBook Pro box.

Both stores should have plenty of MacBooks and MacBook Pros in stock.

[edit: whoops, late post]

Yontsey
2006-07-20, 17:23
I was at 5th avenue mid-day on a sunday and it was crowded but it was still managable.

hiltond
2006-07-21, 02:32
Do you live in New York State?

If you don't most likely you would be better off buying at home. Sales tax in New York really is terrible and purchasing at the the Apple Store you will be paying retail.

Odds are if you live in the States Amazon is your best bet. They often have rebates and the like.

While in New York City you might hear of someone selling MBPs cheaply out of a warehouse in Brooklyn or Queens. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

culinaryartfart
2006-07-21, 08:51
Hey again folks,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll brave the crowds and attempt to purchase my next mac while taking in a view of urban largess. I suppose for the price that I'll be paying it would be worth it. To the one who brought up NYC sales tax: I'm actually an expatriate New Jersian (Trenton) living in the mid-west, but being that Corzine has jacked up the sales tax to 7% perhaps NYC wouldn't be so bad :). My biggest concern is how to get the garishly branded apple box on a New Jersey Transit train and back to my doorstop without getting jacked! Thanks again folks!

Engine Joe
2006-07-21, 09:04
FYI sales tax in NYC is 8.375%. I think the breakdown is 4% for the state, and 4.375% to the city.

HOM
2006-07-21, 09:57
FYI sales tax in NYC is 8.375%. I think the breakdown is 4% for the state, and 4.375% to the city.
IIRC, it's 4% to the City, 4% to the State, and .375% to the MTA.

As for where to buy a computer. Go to Apple stores to look around, but don't expect any real help unless you're willing to buy Apple Care and Dot Mac. Also, the 'Apple' stores have turned into iPod Stores. It's almost impossible to find a person that actually knows anything about Macs or find any Mac accessories. At Apple owned stores, it's all iPod all the time.

If you want a real Mac buying experience from a real Mac shop, go to Tekserve. Remember to bring a dime for the Coke machine.

brassguy
2006-07-22, 00:03
edit: nm

hiltond
2006-07-27, 05:16
My biggest concern is how to get the garishly branded apple box on a New Jersey Transit train and back to my doorstop without getting jacked!

Sir you are brave. Good luck.

initialsBB
2006-07-27, 05:39
If you don't most likely you would be better off buying at home. Sales tax in New York really is terrible and purchasing at the the Apple Store you will be paying retail.

don't moan, it's 19.6% here.

hiltond
2006-07-27, 06:41

Yeap, one of the many many reasons I live here. Kidding.

Wyatt
2006-07-27, 08:11
Hahaha, people here in Indiana bitched when it went up to 6% a couple of years ago, and 8% at restaurants in the counties around Indianapolis (the "doughnut counties") for the damn football stadium. People need to stop bitching, though, I guess. :D

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-07-27, 10:18

Yup, and that 19.6% gets you free healthcare coverage and free college tuition. We aren't so lucky here.

If you wants the benefits, you pays the premiums.

culinaryartfart
2006-07-28, 10:24
Folks,

Well, after much consideration I decided to not go to NYC, but instead went to the King of Prussia apple store to purchase my glossy screen entry level MacBook pro. (the glossy screen is fabulous by the way). I was able to get an educator's discount with the help of my mother, which saved me $200. Overall I wasn't too impressed with the apple store experience. The sales people were a bit lax, and kept trying to offer me several "free" rebate products; annoying somewhat. In retrospect, perhaps a visit to Tekserve (as suggested by a forum member, and as advertised in the NYTimes) would have been more accomodating.

Inspite of the retail experience I love the MacBook Pro. It's quite zippy, but I have no idea how to test its limits. On a side note, the "import data from an other mac" function kind of wacked out my first setup attempt of Tiger. I prefer the old manual way. Funny that.

soma
2006-08-01, 05:00
but don't expect any real help unless you're willing to buy Apple Care and Dot Mac.

I visited a mac store for the first time yesterday - and I noticed this slight application of pressure towards purchasing Apple Care and Dot Mac as much as I've noticed the same techniques used on shoe shops selling polish!
Slightly off subject but are those two 'items' really worth having?....perhaps I should start a new thread for this?
Thanks.

culinaryartfart
2006-08-02, 10:33
Hey there,

From my own experience working in the computer support business at an educational institution, warranty is a must have. We've had our butts saved from screaming mad professors working on dissertations and what have you simply because they could have their equipment up and running again in a few days time. If you can afford it, get it (and you don't have to get it at the time of purchase...with apple care at least).

Please note that according to Apple's included 1-year warranty you are only allowed one free technical support call (which you must use within the first 90days) and anything outside of that will cost you.