PDA

View Full Version : MBP vs MB

tim2006
2006-07-25, 21:38
Purchase advice

MBP lower configuration vs loaded MB with gig of ram.
not a power user but want a good computer.

Luca
2006-07-25, 22:08
Dropping lots of money into a MacBook won't really make it any better. I would advise against loading one up through Apple. That said, the $1300 MacBook would make a fine laptop if you're not a power user. The $2000 MacBook Pro is probably a bit more than you need.

If your budget limit is $2000 then you could easily afford the $1300 MacBook, a larger third-party hard drive (install it yourself), plenty of RAM (also easy to install yourself), and you'd still have money left over for accessories and to just hold onto. You could even go for an inexpensive LCD monitor with the leftover cash, if you'd like.

AsLan^
2006-07-25, 22:19
I am curious, what's a power user these days? I thought I was a power user! :)

I personally think the decision comes down to do you prefer the larger screen size, and look and feel of the MacBook Pro, or the MacBook Pro has a feature that you want and/or need such as dedicated graphics or Expresscard expandability.

For me... the MacBook (1.83 Ghz model) with 2 gigs of RAM is the best computer I have ever owned.

Luca
2006-07-25, 22:36
Also, if you want to play games that are in any way demanding, the MacBook Pro will be required (along with a copy of Windows).

arnoct
2006-07-25, 22:37
I am in love with my macbook... Although it isn't the most powerful of the entire series it's the best computer I have ever owned.