PDA

View Full Version : Sell G4 PB for a Macbook?

Yontsey
2006-07-26, 23:24
I've been mulling this around since they came out. I'm thinking about selling my G4 Powerbook 1.67 15'' and picking up a new Macbook. I wanna be able to do some dual booting and have an intel book. I dunno, maybe I'm just a spec whore.

I do like the built in isight and removable HD too. How is the battery life in a Macbook?

The thing is, I dont use my PB for any graphics work what-so-ever. I basically do websurfing, chatting, mail, wordprocessing, and garageband/logic recording on it. What are yalls thoughts on my idea? Do you think I could sell my PB for enough to possible get a new tricked out white Macbook (tricked out by third-party of course ;) ).

scratt
2006-07-26, 23:32
I would wait a bit personally.. For the money there are gonna be some reallly cool things this year, later on.. And even if you don't buy the new stuff, the old stuff will be avaialable at silly prices..

I still use my gen 1 17" PB G4 for my day to day work, and don't need to upgrade.. I simply have an Intel Mac for testing my software, and still have not migrated to it....

Yontsey
2006-07-26, 23:57
I think the only thing i would truly miss on the PB would be the s-video output.

pilot1129
2006-07-27, 07:16
psst: I'm trying to sell my black macbook w/ 1 gb ram and applecare :) pm if interested

beardedmacuser
2006-07-27, 07:20
I think the only thing i would truly miss on the PB would be the s-video output.

You wouldn't miss the larger 15 inch screen on the PB when using GarageBand or Logic?

Yontsey
2006-07-27, 10:01
yeah good point i suppose, but in trade, it would give me more portability as far as size goes.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-27, 10:07
The thing is, I dont use my PB for any graphics work what-so-ever. I basically do websurfing, chatting, mail, wordprocessing, and garageband/logic recording on it. What are yalls thoughts on my idea? Do you think I could sell my PB for enough to possible get a new tricked out white Macbook (tricked out by third-party of course ;) ).

That right there says you don't need a MacBook. I don't understand why everyone is upgrading. Your PowerBook is just fine.

Yontsey
2006-07-27, 10:10
I realize its fine and itll be fine for another couple years but I was just thinking if I wanted to do this, then it should be sooner rather than later so I can get max value for my PB.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-27, 10:13
But why do you want to? The graphics card in your PowerBook is better, the screen is better, and your BACKLIT keyboard is better.

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-07-27, 10:13
That right there says you don't need a MacBook. I don't understand why everyone is upgrading. Your PowerBook is just fine.

Didn't you get the memo? You can't be an Apple zealout if you have a >2 year old Apple computer. ;)

To the OP, you won't get enough cash from the sale of your PB (unless you're really lucky) to completely fund a MacBook. So you have to decide how much you want to fund from your own pocket. It may be easier to start saving for a MacBook and hold onto the PBG4 because once you have the cash a New! Improved! MacBook will probably have been released.

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-07-27, 10:15
But why do you want to? The graphics card in your PowerBook is better, the screen is better, and your BACKLIT keyboard is better.

Personally, I like the action of the new MacBook better, but I like the PBG4's keyboard as well. For me, the backlit keyboard was more of a gimmick, I never really used it at all except to "amaze my friends". I'm sure if I were using it to run Logic on a darkened stage the backlight would be a lifesaver.

Yontsey
2006-07-27, 10:17

I dont do anything that is graphics intensive and I never use the backlit keyboard.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-27, 10:19
So, you want to lose money and downgrade? Well it's your decision.

Yontsey
2006-07-27, 10:28
haha, dont take it so personal. If I couldnt atleast get enough money to where they would cancel each other out then I would never do it. I just figured with the new chips and all the new bells and whistles that have been added since I bought mine may add up to a significant upgrade over the machine I have now. Either way, Im still more than happy with my PB.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-27, 11:01
haha, dont take it so personal. If I couldnt atleast get enough money to where they would cancel each other out then I would never do it. I just figured with the new chips and all the new bells and whistles that have been added since I bought mine may add up to a significant upgrade over the machine I have now. Either way, Im still more than happy with my PB.

What new Bells and Whistles? IR and Isight? Would you even use those? If you want a remote, Belkin sells them for $30.00

Yontsey
2006-07-27, 11:17
i would use isight and front row.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-27, 11:22
Well, front row is available thru some googling. ;) and you can either buy an isight or a cheaper webcam with an OS X driver, or 3rd party software.

Wyatt
2006-07-27, 11:31
Yeah, a bulky iSight is great for carrying in your laptop bag... :rolleyes:

Robo
2006-07-27, 12:27
windowsrookie, he mentioned that he wants to dual boot. For some people, that alone is worth the upgrade.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't - only he can decide that.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-27, 14:09
He wants to. But does he really need it?

Yontsey
2006-07-27, 14:13
no i dont need it but itd be nice to be able to run my old windows software instead of just letting it collect dust.

Kraetos
2006-07-27, 22:08
Personally, I'd do it. After we see Rev. 2 MacBooks, that is.

Lets look at what your getting:
-HUGE speed increase. Like, huge. You don't truly appreciate how fast the Intel Macs are, especially the laptops, until you use one for a while.
-Ability to Boot Camp/Parallels. The potential value of this is very, very high. For me, it means I can use a soon-to-come Mac Pro as a gaming rig with Boot Camp (bye bye Alienware). Or, with Parallels, it allows me to check my websites in IE 6 before they go live. (As much as IE sucks, most employers will require compatibility, it still accounts for about 85% of all browsers.) And like you said, it will let you use your old Windows software.
-iSight/Front Row/remote. Personally I would use the remote and Front Row a lot, they go wonderfully with an AirPort Express. And don't waste your money on a third party remote. Unless you wanna plug it into your PowerBook every time you put it back on your desk, you need to plug it into your AirPort Express, where it tends to be laggy and unresponsive. (not-so-proud owner of a keyspan IR thingee.)
-Smaller footprint. Oh how much fun it is to have a smaller laptop.
-Longer battery life. Most reports I've seen point to just over 3 hours on the MacBook, vs. the 2ish you're probably getting on your PB.

And what you're losing:
-Dedicated graphics. But you don't use it anyway.
-2.1 inches of diagonal screen space. Meh. Worth the overall size decrease.
-Matte screen. But this one is really more a matter of personal taste. As with any big purchase, try it before you buy it. I personally don't mind the gloss.
-A good deal of pixels. This is probably the biggest one. You're losing 100 vertical pixels and 160 horizontal pixels. But, I run at 1280 x 854 over here and I don't have a problem unless I am running Photoshop, Dreamweaver, TextWrangler, Terminal and Safari simultaneously... which I frequently am. Oh, how I long for a dual-link graphics card on my Mac... Anyway, This one is really dependent on your needs - more screen space is almost never bad, but its not as useful to some as it is to others.
-Backlit keyboard. Only a problem if you can't touch type and/or are frequently working in the dark.

I think thats everything.

I am very, very torn between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro for my next laptop, mostly over the issue of integrated graphics. This isn't a problem for you, though, so I can whole-heartedly recommend the MacBook as a great machine for your needs.

(P.S. and Unrelated: I really enjoy how WR's title changes on almost a weekly basis. It's quite amusing. :p )

Yontsey
2006-07-28, 00:10
what do you think i could get for my PB? here are the specs:

1.67 G4
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
HD: 100gig
DVD-/+ RW
128MB ATI video card
BT/Airport
an iSight
and a case for the PB

$1400?

Windowsrookie
2006-07-28, 00:13

1.67 G4
DVD-/+ RW
128MB ATI video card
BT/Airport
an iSight
and a case for the PB

$1400?

ummm no. ~$1,000

Yontsey
2006-07-28, 00:16
Thats a shame considering how much I paid for it about 13-14 months ago.

oh, did i mention 2 years left of Applecare.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-28, 00:18
Dude. You'll lose money. It works fine. You don't need a fast machine. So don't sell it.

Yontsey
2006-07-28, 00:20
calm down, im just simply shopping the idea.

Windowsrookie
2006-07-28, 00:20
calm down, im just simply shopping the idea.

Where was I not calm?

Yontsey
2006-07-28, 00:22
Dude. You'll lose money. It works fine. You don't need a fast machine. So don't sell it.
...its kool, not a big deal

Windowsrookie
2006-07-28, 00:24
...its kool, not a big deal

Losing hundreds of dollars when you don't have to is a big deal. Well to me it is.

Sargasm
2006-07-28, 01:00
I have the same PBook as you, and before I got it, I was a total specs whore in the Windows world.

The PowerBook is, in my opinion, the perfect laptop computer. I wouldn't sell this thing just to get the latest and greatest.

Kraetos
2006-07-28, 01:42

1.67 G4
DVD-/+ RW
128MB ATI video card
BT/Airport
an iSight
and a case for the PB

$1400?

Similar machine sold on eBay. For $1,300. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerBook-G4-in-Excellent-Condition-w-1gb-Ram_W0QQitemZ130010172369QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14909Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Cept yours has 20GB more HD and 512 MB more RAM, and an iSight. So yeah, $1,400 is actually about right. :D

(I'd sell the iSight separately, though. Could bring in $75-$125 by itself.)

So for about $280 (not even counting the iSight) more than that ($1,680 total) you could buy a 2.0 GHz White MacBook, and then 2 Gigs of RAM and a 160 GB drive from NewEgg.

RAM. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820221043)

Hard Drive. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145113)

I'd do it. It would have many big advantages over your PowerBook. And with the extra drive space you could make a pretty decent sized partition for Boot Camp without having to sacrifice much for OS X.

Yontsey
2006-07-31, 21:53
Right now i have the option of trading my Powerbook for a Macbook 2.0 Core Duo, 512 ram, 60gig hd, superdrive, bluetooth/ap straight up without including my isight. i could sell the isight on ebay or macnn or even here and get money to get more ram.

Do you think this is a good deal?

Brave Ulysses
2006-07-31, 22:00
Yes

Kraetos
2006-07-31, 23:03
You're pretty much breaking even on that - maybe you're losing a little bit because your PB G4 has some upgrades.

If AppleCare was included, I would go for it. Without AppleCare? Well its close... I don't know. I probably would.

And yeah, sell the iSight and upgrade the RAM. And the HD. Personally I would go all out, 2 GB/160 GB even though thats gonna cost about twice what the iSight will sell for. But if you're gonna be Boot Camping, the HD is worth it. And the RAM will make sure your computer is as Snappy™ as it gets.

Yontsey
2006-07-31, 23:23
it has no applecare

Kraetos
2006-08-01, 00:35
it has no applecare

Well, according to eBay, your computer is worth a little bit more than $1,300.

You are proposing a trade for a $1,300 computer.

Up to you. But like I said, its about dead even, but a tiny bit in the other guys favor.

Yontsey
2006-08-01, 08:07
Mind you i do not have the hi-res Powerbook revision...

torifile
2006-08-01, 08:11
The PB is in the slow part of it depreciation cycle while the Macbook is in the fast part of it. Not saying that I wouldn't do it but do you *need* to do it? I'd hold off until you've got a need for it.

Yontsey
2007-01-11, 12:34
Well, Im bumping that thread cuz Im toying with the idea again. I find myself usually with several apps open and my PB seems sluggish at times. I have plenty of RAM so who knows.

My question is, if I use something like Carbon Copy Cloner (I think that's what it's called), and transfer everything over, even the programs, will they still work on the Macbook or will I have to reobtain the CD's and install them again?

Yontsey
2007-01-11, 12:41

1.67 G4
DVD-/+ RW
128MB ATI video card
BT/Airport
and a case for the PB

just quoting myself again to see what kinda updated price I could get.
does $1000 seem out of the question?
I have an iSight that I would sell separately too.

danielsza
2007-01-11, 12:51
My question is, if I use something like Carbon Copy Cloner (I think that's what it's called), and transfer everything over, even the programs, will they still work on the Macbook or will I have to reobtain the CD's and install them again?

No you can't use CCC in this case. You can use migration assistant or you can copy the files manually, using firewire would be the best way to do so.

Yontsey
2007-01-11, 20:21
help on price?

I wanna be able to make enough to where I can get a white 2.0C2D for like 300-400 difference.

i can do hdd and ram upgrades on my own.

Wrao
2007-01-11, 20:39
I sold my 1.25ghz 15" powerbook(w backlight) for a black macbook and I couldn't be happier. I do miss having a backlit keyboard, and I especially miss the ambient light sensor auto-adjusting the display backlight. BUT, the speed increase, smaller size, trackpad, keyboard, magsafe connector, and built-in iSight more than make up for those minor gripes.

Wrao
2007-01-11, 20:41
just quoting myself again to see what kinda updated price I could get.
does $1000 seem out of the question?
I have an iSight that I would sell separately too.

$1000 WITH the iSight is still a bad deal. You'd be lucky getting $800 for the computer. Unless you're dealing with someone who has been living in a cave, or otherwise knows nothing about macs(or computers in general) $1000 is asking way too much. Your best bet to finding an estimate is to go on eBay and see what similar spec'd powerbooks are selling for, factor in aesthetic damage, original packaging and documentation/CDs, a carrying case and the iSight and go from there.

Yontsey
2007-02-26, 17:33
Im talking to a fella right now over on MacNN about trading my G4 Powerbook 1.67ghz for his Black core duo 2.0ghz Macbook glossy screen with 512gig RAM/80hdd/superdrive with 6 months of warrenty left on it so I could still purchase Applecare for it.

What do you think? Should I pull the trigger? He is willing to do it straight up if I throw in my iSight.

If I do, what would be the best way to transfer my current stuff on my hdd over to the new one? Just take note of what I have on here and reinstall it and copy my music and files to an external hdd?

Edit: Would there be certain files I would be able to save to where I could just put them on the Macbook where my address book, itunes, iphoto, and email would still all be the same?

Yontsey
2007-02-26, 21:37
no help? come on....

Kraetos
2007-02-27, 03:29
I would. Having owned variants of both machines in question (1GHz G4 15" w/ 768 MB; C2D MacBook w/ 2GB) I can say I love just about everything about the MB. Unless your PB is the absolute last revision where they bumped the res to the MBP level, the resolution on the screen is about the same. Assuming your eyesight is good you will have about the same screen real estate.

That said, I love the speed of the MacBook. I also love the battery life - 4.5 hours, real usage - and the weight - 4.6 lb - so light I don't even notice it with a spiral notebook or two in my bag. I carry it everywhere with me.

Upgrade the RAM. 512 will hurt unless you're doing nothing but basics. 1 GB will be great, and 2 GB will be superb.

(For the record, my most used applications are TextMate, Terminal, Transmit, Pages, Keynote, Photoshop CS3 Beta, NetNewsWire, Adium X, Safari and Firefox)

As for preserving your files - use SuperDuper! I wouldn't recommend simply cloning your entire drive and then cloning it back to the MacBook, you might have some PPC specific stuff lurking in your library, which could cause some problems. Instead, copy your whole damn drive (assuming you have an external that can handle it) and then painstakingly pick and choose what you want back. You can even take most applications due to the beauty of Mac OS X's installation process, but things like Office and Photoshop you will probably need to actually "install."

beardedmacuser
2007-02-27, 05:06
That said, I love the speed of the MacBook.

True. OS X really feels at home on Intel. The difference in speed between a MacBook and my (very last "HD" model) PowerBook is remarkable. Having said that, I wouldn't swap my PowerBook for a MacBook. But hey, that's just me, and I love my shiny sexy PowerBook!

You can even take most applications due to the beauty of Mac OS X's installation process, but things like Office and Photoshop you will probably need to actually "install."

Office should copy just fine. It "repairs" its installation first time you run it after you've copied the Office folder into Applications.

Yontsey
2007-02-27, 09:47
As for preserving your files - use SuperDuper! I wouldn't recommend simply cloning your entire drive and then cloning it back to the MacBook, you might have some PPC specific stuff lurking in your library, which could cause some problems. Instead, copy your whole damn drive (assuming you have an external that can handle it) and then painstakingly pick and choose what you want back. You can even take most applications due to the beauty of Mac OS X's installation process, but things like Office and Photoshop you will probably need to actually "install."

I looked up Super Duper! and I saw that it was $27.95. Is there a free trial period so I wouldnt have to pay if I just use it once? How does Carbon Copy CLoner work on Intels??? Would these programs be a better option than just finding the certain files and copying them over for things like address book, itunes, ect?

Also, if I make this trade, Im going to get 2 gigs of RAM and I was debating between a 200gig 4200rpm hdd and a 160gig 5400rpm hdd. Which would you recommend?

Edit: I read Super Duper! wrong. You only pay if you wanna get the scheduling, Smart Updating, ect. Copying and cloning are free. This stuff is the one thing holding me back from the trade because I am like a little girl when it comes to doing things Ive never done before. I dont wanna switch computers and not have all my shit back on the new one and have to start over.

beardedmacuser
2007-02-27, 10:37
I looked up Super Duper! and I saw that it was $27.95. Is there a free trial period so I wouldnt have to pay if I just use it once? How does Carbon Copy CLoner work on Intels??? Would these programs be a better option than just finding the certain files and copying them over for things like address book, itunes, ect?

OK, you can't clone your PowerBook hard drive and expect it to boot on a MacBook. But what I would suggest is to clone your PowerBook drive to an external hard drive.

Then, when you get the MacBook (make sure you get the original install discs too) perform a clean install of OS X. When you're booting for the first time and configuring the computer you'll be asked if you want to transfer apps, settings and files from another Mac. This is where you connect your cloned copy of your PowerBook on the external drive. You can then choose how much you want your MacBook to recover from your PowerBook (whether you just want to copy your files or whether you want to copy all applications and settings too).

Perhaps this is the easiest way to go about doing so? And it means you have a backup of everything on your PowerBook just incase your MacBook turns out to be dodgy or unreliable or something like that.

However, you can manually copy everything you want from the PowerBook clone to your MacBook, and that's what I always do. But you need to know your way around OS X a little when, for example, copying files for Mail.app over. For Mail you need to copy ~/Library/Mail/ and ~/Library/Mail Downloads and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist and place them in the same location in your MacBook. Not difficult perhaps, and certainly the cleanest way of copying only what you need.

Also, if I make this trade, Im going to get 2 gigs of RAM and I was debating between a 200gig 4200rpm hdd and a 160gig 5400rpm hdd. Which would you recommend?

If it were me, I'd always go for the higher capacity drive. You can never have too much storage. OK, so the 4200 rpm drive will have a lower platter rotating speed but the data on that platter will be stored at a higher density which will compensate for the lower rpm (all other things being equal). I'd be surprised if most users could notice a difference in everyday use between the two drives in a blind test.

Yontsey
2007-02-27, 11:30
However, you can manually copy everything you want from the PowerBook clone to your MacBook, and that's what I always do. But you need to know your way around OS X a little when, for example, copying files for Mail.app over. For Mail you need to copy ~/Library/Mail/ and ~/Library/Mail Downloads and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist and place them in the same location in your MacBook. Not difficult perhaps, and certainly the cleanest way of copying only what you need.

Ok, that seems easy enough. For iTunes, pretty much I would just copy my Music folder over to the Macbook folder as is and replace everything and my music and iTunes should be fine right? I would have to Authorize that computer for iTMS as well.

I assume the same would go for pictures. I would also just directly copy Documents right over.

One thing I was wondering when I was just going through Library is, couldnt I just directly copy the Library folder over, or would that be a big no-no?

A couple other things I was worried about having the same would be: Keychains, Address book, Airport settings for routing and shit like that. All the programs I have I dont really care about and I can either redownload them or reinstall them. I just wanna make sure that my networking isnt gonna get messed up, Im still gonna be able to use Bits on Wheels, and then the address book, itunes, photos, keychains and mail are the same.

Kraetos
2007-02-27, 11:43
Yup, and don't forget to deauth your old machine.

Also, I would recommend going with the faster 160 GB drive. I mean, I am never going to come close to using all that space, and if I was, I would simply buy an external. the hard drive is one of the biggest bottlenecks on a notebook, however, and a faster drive will mean faster application load times, and less beach ballin'.

As for everything else, BMU was right on.

Yontsey
2007-02-27, 11:54
One thing I was wondering when I was just going through Library is, couldnt I just directly copy the Library folder over, or would that be a big no-no?

A couple other things I was worried about having the same would be: Keychains, Address book, Airport settings for routing and shit like that. All the programs I have I dont really care about and I can either redownload them or reinstall them. I just wanna make sure that my networking isnt gonna get messed up, Im still gonna be able to use Bits on Wheels, and then the address book, itunes, photos, keychains and mail are the same.

Ok, so Ill copy the music, documents, and photo files right over, no biggie. What about the Library folder? Also, what about those other things I listed? Keychains, address book, ect....

Sorry, Ive never done this shit before so techincally Im a noob at this shit. Bare with me and have patience... ;)

kieran
2007-02-27, 12:00
Sorry, Ive never done this shit before so techincally Im a noob at this shit. Bare with me and have patients... ;)

There are a few doctors on these boards, so the rest of us will have patience while they come and help you out. :) :)

Yontsey
2007-02-27, 12:04
*cough* *cough* asshole *cough*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

beardedmacuser
2007-02-27, 13:33

Hmmm... I don't know. Try it, and see what happens. If it doesn't work then you can try selectively copying what you think you need.

Yup, and don't forget to deauth your old machine.

Although if you forget, it's not a huge problem. The authorisation expires after a certain length of time if it's not used (sorry, can't remember how long that is).

Yontsey
2007-02-28, 00:22
I was looking at transfer speeds differences between the 160gig 5200rpm hdd and the 200gig 4200rpm hdd. are they really that big of a difference?! i believe it was something 150mb/sec for the 4200 and like 540mb/sec for the 5200. True? I dont do anything like graphic work or photoshop. The biggest thing I will do on this machine is audio recordings in garageband and maybe logic, but it isnt my main use for the machine.

I will mainly just do typically use things like adium, mail, safari, ect. What do you guys think?

Also, right now Im using SuperDuper! to clone my harddrive. What can I expect when it is finished and I plug my hdd into my new Macbook? Will I manually transfer the files over or will it ask me and automatically do it for me?

Edit: Well, my friend convinced me to go with the 160gig 5400rpm hdd. Im over at OWC right now. Im wondering what the difference between the Hitachi (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/0A28844/) and the Seagate (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9160821AS/) to justify the price difference. I dont mind spending the extra money if it's worth it.

Kraetos
2007-02-28, 01:15
Everything will just be Snappier™ with the 5400 RPM drive. Like I said, hard drive spin time is a signifigant bottleneck when it comes to laptops - or PC's in general, but 7200 RPM is a happy medium that most computers have reached where the average user wont notice the jump to 10000 RPM. I briefly considered getting a raptor for my main drive, until I realize that I almost never see mr. beachball as it is.

Yontsey
2007-02-28, 01:18
Everything will just be Snappier™ with the 5400 RPM drive. Like I said, hard drive spin time is a signifigant bottleneck when it comes to laptops - or PC's in general, but 7200 RPM is a happy medium that most computers have reached where the average user wont notice the jump to 10000 RPM. I briefly considered getting a raptor for my main drive, until I realize that I almost never see mr. beachball as it is.

Thanks for responding. Do you know the difference between those 2 hdd's I posted? There is a $55 or so difference and I was curious what the difference is.

Kraetos
2007-02-28, 01:20
Thanks for responding. Do you know the difference between those 2 hdd's I posted? There is a $55 or so difference and I was curious what the difference is.

Nope, but speaking purely from past experience, go with Hitachi.

Yontsey
2007-02-28, 02:05
Nope, but speaking purely from past experience, go with Hitachi.

I took your advice and it should be here by the end of the week. The guy is shipping my MacBook tomorrow overnight so it should also be here by the end of the week as well. I plan on installing the new hdd and RAM before trying to bring my old hdd over to the new one.

Yontsey
2007-02-28, 15:49
Quick question, if I transfer over the right files, will my bookmarks, auto-fill's, and the links on my Safari page under the address bar still be the same or will I have to redo all those?

PB PM
2007-02-28, 16:19
I'm not sure, but its easy to move the bookmarks file over, thats what I did when I upgraded from my iBook G4 to the MBP.

torifile
2007-02-28, 18:39
Well, Im bumping that thread cuz Im toying with the idea again. I find myself usually with several apps open and my PB seems sluggish at times. I have plenty of RAM so who knows.

If you do this, you've got to make sure that your PB is using the latest version of OS X (10.4.8) before you clone it. Everything should work perfectly and if something went awry, it would be the OS itself (in which case, you'd know that it didn't work). If it doesn't work, no harm because you could just restore the HD on the Macbook with no problem. The apps will work a-ok unless you've got some program tied to the MAC address or something.

Yontsey
2007-02-28, 20:16
I may have another option now. I wasnt able to ship my Powerbook out today to do work and having meetings and shit. The guy Im trading with said he shipped it out today overnight, so if I get it tomorrow, can I go buy a firewire 400 cable and transfer over everything that way? If so, how does that work? When I boot up the Macbook and go through the inital setup, does it ask me if I wanna transfer stuff and then itll copy my harddrive over?

Edit: I didnt realize that 6 pin to 6 pin FW cables were that expensive. I didnt see any on the Compusa website and I only saw one on the BestBuy website and it was like $35.

beardedmacuser
2007-03-01, 04:43
When I boot up the Macbook and go through the inital setup, does it ask me if I wanna transfer stuff and then itll copy my harddrive over?

Yep, just follow the instructions when setting up your MacBook for the first time after a clean install of OS X.

PB PM
2007-03-01, 11:34
Edit: I didnt realize that 6 pin to 6 pin FW cables were that expensive. I didnt see any on the Compusa website and I only saw one on the BestBuy website and it was like $35.
Yup, helps you to realize why Firewire external drive cases cost a fair bit more than USB2 drives (its not just the firewire bus).

Wyatt
2007-03-01, 11:43
O RLY? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812186006) There's one for $3. Even with shipping, it's less than 10 bucks. I'd say that's pretty cheap. :)

Yontsey
2007-03-01, 11:59
O RLY? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812186006) There's one for $3. Even with shipping, it's less than 10 bucks. I'd say that's pretty cheap. :)

Yeah, i knew you could buy them online dirt cheap, but that wasnt an option for me. I was just looking at brick and mortar stores around here like Best Buy and CompUSA.

Yontsey
2007-03-01, 12:56
Quick question. I know the new MacBook Pros and MacBooks have 802.11n capabilities. Will my Core Duo have n capabilities too?

PB PM
2007-03-01, 13:53
Only Core 2 Duo machines have 802.11n capabilities, IIRC. You would need a USB device to get such abilities in an older Macbook.

Yontsey
2007-03-03, 19:12
I got my new MacBook up and running and practically everything transfered over. The only thing I havent figured out is what file do I transfer over so that my iCal dates are back on there. I have my email, address book, apps, music, ect ect but not iCal. Help?

torifile
2007-03-03, 20:20
I got my new MacBook up and running and practically everything transfered over. The only thing I havent figured out is what file do I transfer over so that my iCal dates are back on there. I have my email, address book, apps, music, ect ect but not iCal. Help?
Have you tried moving ~/Library/Application Support/iCal?

Yontsey
2007-03-03, 20:37
no i have not. that is probably what i am looking for. thank you very much. ill try that in a minute after im done with my frosted flakes.

Have you tried moving ~/Library/Application Support/iCal?

thanks Tor, thats exactly what i was looking for.