PDA

View Full Version : A few html (possibly?) questions

Artap99
2006-07-28, 15:17
I'm entering the final stages of finishing up my website (http://www.sect1.com/welcome.htm). I'm having a few problems and was looking for help to hopefully solve them.

1. I was wondering if there is a way so that the two banners (the light with the background and the Section 1 Films running down the side) wouldn't have to be reloaded each time. That would be a hassle for those with dial up.
I tried finding it in the book that I used to make the website, but the only way that they have listed is one that I don't understand at all.

2. How would I get a file (WMV or QT mov) to launch in an external player? Just leaving the file on the server and putting a link to it works with PCs, but not with Macs. Is there a way to resolve this?

3. Is there a way to indent? I know that it's probably really simple, but I have no idea how to. Right now I have it as text that uses the same color as the background. You can see it if you highlight.
And I'd want to position the links on the demo page (http://www.sect1.com/demo.htm) equally in the box, too.

Those are all the questions I have. Answers to any of them would be greatly appreciated. Possibly resulting in even more donations to AN :D

Brad
2006-07-28, 15:23
1. I was wondering if there is a way so that the two banners (the light with the background and the Section 1 Films running down the side) wouldn't have to be reloaded each time. That would be a hassle for those with dial up.
Unless the web server has disabled caching (very unlikely), the user's web browser should automatically cache them an not reload them each time. When I clicked through your pages, the images appeared to pull from my cache and not reload each time. Tested in Shiira/Safari.

2. How would I get a file (WMV or QT mov) to launch in an external player? Just leaving the file on the server and putting a link to it works with PCs, but not with Macs. Is there a way to resolve this?
I don't think you can control this. This is a decision made by the browser and plugin settings client-side, AFAIK.

3. Is there a way to indent?
If you want to simply pad the left margin of an block (like a div or p), you can use the "padding-left" or "margin-left" CSS property on that block. If you want to indent, say, the first line of a paragraph, use can use the "text-indent" CSS property.

Artap99
2006-07-28, 15:39
If you want to simply pad the left margin of an block (like a div or p), you can use the "padding-left" or "margin-left" CSS property on that block. If you want to indent, say, the first line of a paragraph, use can use the "text-indent" CSS property.

Okay, thank you. My only followup is that I'm trying to indent a list, but not the header contained in the box. And then have the center of the block, where there is more text, indented to the same line (http://sect1.com/demo.htm).

Brad
2006-07-28, 16:21
Yikes. The "list" under Demo that's actually just a bunch of text with line breaks? :)

First of all, I'd suggest making it a real list with <ul> and <li> tags.

<ul>
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
</ul>

...will produce...

item 1 item 2

Then, style the list and list items with CSS as applicable. You can remove the dots by using the CSS property "list-style-type: none" on the <ul> element.

Artap99
2006-07-28, 16:32
Yeah, that's the one :)

rollercoaster375
2006-07-29, 21:52
If you plan on tampering with the indentation of a list, be aware that although Gecko, KHTML and IE all use Margins to do so, Opera uses Padding (So you'll have to specify one to be 0, and the other to be the new indentation level).