PDA

View Full Version : 1.8GHz DP G5 ...on order for 7 weeks!!! Argh!

dlange58
2004-09-13, 08:53
C'mon, Apple. I know you want to ramp up on iMacs, but to completely blow off those of us who ordered the 1.8GHz DP G5 computer is really unfair!

I can see how this goes: Apple Production Manager: "Gee, those 100's of orders for G5s are in the bank, so it really isn't necessary for us to fulfill the orders that quickly....our loyal following will be patient...won't they?"

kittonian
2004-09-13, 13:38
I ordered a dual 2.5ghz with 4gb of mem and 2x250gb sata drives during the last week of July. After waiting and checking the order status virtually everyday till the date it was supposed to ship on or before (9/10/04) I got an e-mail saying it was pushed back until on or before 9/17/04. This waiting is neverending and it sucks. I needed this machine weeks ago already and now I'm still waiting.

So, don't feel too bad. There are others in the same boat as you are.

kittonian
2004-09-14, 20:24
Guess what? Now the order is pushed back till on or before Sept. 24th. This is ridiculous and customer service sales support is giving me no information. ARGH!

DMBand0026
2004-09-14, 21:25
They keep pushing it back, call and try to cancel. They'll throw something in to keep the deal sweet for you. A discount, an accessory, something to keep you happy.

kittonian
2004-09-19, 20:43
Well guess what? I wrote a very nasty (but professional) letter to Apple explaining that this wait was ridiculous. I went away for the weekend and just checked my e-mail tonight. I found a shipment notification and when I checked the FedEx website I was happy to learn that not only did the system ship yesterday but they shipped it 2Day instead of ground at no additional cost.

Very nice.

Brad
2004-09-19, 21:13
very nasty (but professional)Suonds mutually exclusive to me. Let's see it.

Honestly, how do you think that writing a mean letter is going to help expedite your order? Are you expecting Random Support Drone #476 who sees it to say, "Whoa! This nasty letter means business! It I don't personally get this order out, this guy might drive out here and chop my balls off!"

:lol:

I can understand your frustration, but maybe there's a better way to go about this. :) Do you really need to order the box with a special configuration? Often a stock machine ships much quicker than a custom one. Also, you could get the stock machine from the Apple retail stores or from a different retailer altogether. On top of that, although I haven't checked on the G5's specifically, large banks of memory are almost always significantly cheaper if you buy from Crucial.com or some other third party. The same might hold true for the drives if you shop around.

Besides, anyone who has followed major product releases from Apple should know that the top-of-the-line machines sell out the quickest and are the hardest to replenish because of lower CPU yields.

I'm just trying to shine a different perspective on the matter.

psmith2.0
2004-09-19, 21:43
Hey, I understand his frustration. Seems for the past year or so (well, on anything involving this much-lauded, ultra-hyped G5), the entire basic gist has been "order and wait".

Hell, sometimes I think Apple should've just kept working in secret for the last half of 2003 and the first half of 2004 and stockpiled the living crap out of chips/components, THEN announced them and actually had plenty to ship and meet demand.

For all the breathless talk by some about a PowerBook G5, you should know, by this point, if one IS announced, say, next WWDC, you probably won't be able to get your hands on one until Halloween 2005. At this point, I should have no reason to think otherwise!

Not much of a change from the Motorola days, in terms of frustration and whatnot. With Motorola, it was that turtle-slow, incremental increase in performance. With the G5, there's apparently this huge leap...but guess what? If they're trickling out and everyone's in 2-month-plus "holding pattern" over a supposed flagship product, that ain't much better.

I remember the excitement last summer, upon the unveiling of the G5, where it all centered around IBM and the general vibe around the Mac community was "Thank goodness...finally, some light at the end of the tunnel! A proper manufacturing process, dedicated to us, by an outfit that seems to have its act together...yay!"

15 months later...

Gets old sometimes. Even from a guy not interested in a G5-based machine. But I feel for all my homeys out there.

:p

matt
2004-09-19, 22:13
I found it hard to beleive that Motorola couldn't stock enough G4s. Now that i am hearing the same story again, I really don't beleive it. I deal with hardware vendors, IBM is one of them. When they see the demand they ramp up production.

My feeling, is Apple purposely does this to create hype. It's like the saying, you want, what you can't get. I think that helped the mini sell like hotcakes.

What is your opinion?

psmith2.0
2004-09-19, 22:20
My feeling, is Apple purposely does this to create hype.
What is your opinion?

Honestly? I just think it's God's way of keeping us in check a bit. Wouldn't seem quite fair to have the hands-down superior OS, hardware design, digital media apps AND balls-out performance.

We'd be such insufferable snots, mercilessly mocked by the PC-using world. Well, more than we probably already are, of course.

;)

So always having this one aspect not quite dialed-in and running smoothly acts as a self-regulating humbling/ego-check device. Wouldn't be fair to the others to have all four of these areas wrapped up, would it? We just have to "settle" for three.

:p

A small price to pay, I guess.

NosferaDrew
2004-09-19, 23:53
I'll be ordering a stock 2.5Ghz G5 on Wednesday (not from the Apple Store, but from PowerMax) - let's see what happens. :)

_Ω_
2004-09-20, 00:03
I'll be ordering a stock 2.5Ghz G5 on Wednesday (not from the Apple Store, but from PowerMax) - let's see what happens. :)

cudaboy_71 has you worried :lol: