PDA

View Full Version : just about to grab an imac....

soma
2006-08-01, 05:14
Hi - (copied this from another part of the forum...it might be best residing here).

I have spent the past month or so deliberating whether or not I should finally turn windows off for the last time and jump to the mac ship...overwhelmingly the results came back as 'definitely do so' (or thereabouts )

So after a lengthy persual of apple information, other mac users and what I'd really like from this machine I chose the imac. I was in an apple store just yesterday and was mere 'inches' from handing over payment for a machine...I didn't however, yesterday was more a confirmation that I am doing the right thing. It also transpired that I couldn't take away from the store a machine spec upgrade I wanted i.e. wireless mouse/keyboard (they had just run out) and the graphics memory upgrage (256Mb) couldn't be sold instore (?). There was also a little confusion over the Memory - although it states on the website (which the store was using to spec it up) that you have the option of either 1x1gb or 2x512Mb, apparantly only the 2x512 option was available?
So...(and I heard a rumour that an imac upgrade might soon be on the cards, so to speak,) do you think it wise to hang on a little longer? I'm fairly desperate to get hold of a mac as soon as possible...it's something I really require now. However, I could hang on a couple of weeks - though is anything really guaranteed?

Many thanks

chucker
2006-08-01, 05:17
The options on the web site are for the online store, not for a retail store. Retail stores have a limited set of options, because they (naturally) cannot stock all of them. The online store, instead, builds to order, so they can have virtually any combination of options and simply extend your waiting time (i.e., the shipping and delivery dates).

As for a new revision, I think it's safe to assume that one will be out some time this fall. But if you need now, buy now. The iMac is an excellent machine as it is. Nothing is guaranteed.

soma
2006-08-01, 05:31
The options on the web site are for the online store, not for a retail store. Retail stores have a limited set of options, because they (naturally) cannot stock all of them. The online store, instead, builds to order, so they can have virtually any combination of options and simply extend your waiting time (i.e., the shipping and delivery dates).

As for a new revision, I think it's safe to assume that one will be out some time this fall. But if you need now, buy now. The iMac is an excellent machine as it is. Nothing is guaranteed.

Thanks for the swift response chucker. I'm pretty much convinced I should buy now (though I've read here that there are shipping problems with the 20" imac...possibly due to the imac upgrade possibly not).
I guess if the rumours suggested an upgrade at the end of the year or even the beginning of 2007 then no question I'd buy now...but speculation suggests the upgrade could as little a couple of weeks away.
But you're right - I had a good run around on the imac in the store yesterday and was pretty much blown away...I type this on a PC I built only last year which I've never really fallen in love with...and it's starting to crash like the previous one did!
Cheers
soma

chucker
2006-08-01, 05:43
Yes, updates could be soon, but they could also not be. :)

Here's a few dates to check on:
1) next week, Apple's WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conferences) takes place. This often coincides with hardware announcements, but hardware consumer hardware. The iMac doesn't really fit into the theme of WWDC. Many expect the Power Mac successor to be presented at WWDC, and perhaps a MacBook Pro revision.

2) In September, Apple Expo Paris will take place, and, of note, the iMac G5 was originally introduced at that very exposition in 2004. An iMac update at that point would therefore make a lot of sense.

3) I'm rather sure at least one iPod-related press event will take place this fall, though none have been announced yet (these usually get announced just a few days before). Last year, the iPod with video was introduced alongside the then-new third-revision iMac G5. So, they might repeat that theme this year.

soma
2006-08-01, 06:06
^^ So it could (if at all ) be September. Little too long to wait - not too keen on putting this off any longer (though did I read that you can upgrade if an announcement is made within two weeks of purchasing your current model?)

Regards

chucker
2006-08-01, 06:11
I think there's a policy at Apple's retails stores whereby, if the product was replaced or otherwise changed within 14 days of your purchase, you are eligible for an upgrade, or something like that.

You should double-check and this may differ in the UK anyway.

Miko
2006-08-01, 07:57
Also may want to make note that BTO systems may not be eligible for an upgrade should a new model come out without a restocking fee of 15% I think.

soma
2006-08-01, 08:53
^^ Sorry to ask but what is a BTO system?

Fahrenheit
2006-08-01, 09:00
(Built to order)

Yontsey
2006-08-01, 09:02
built to order

edit: beat to it

soma
2006-08-01, 09:05
^^ BTI!

Many thanks.
Toughie...I'd really like to get this mac very, very soon...

Miko
2006-08-01, 13:09
I'd say go for it if you need it, that's pretty much the best advice anyone can give you. If you don't need it right now, wait. The clincher for many people I know is that several big software companies >insert names here< have not ported their apps to Universal Binaries, so their apps run slow under Rosetta. Until the apps come on board you will be looking at a decrease in performance anyway. On the other hand why would you want to buy into technology that is being phased out if you were interested in the G5 Tower "Power PC"?

In the immortal words of Bart Simpson "Damned if you do, Damned if you don't"

Yontsey
2006-08-01, 13:15
I say wait til the WWDC next week and if nothing gets upgraded, then just go for it. You'll still be quite happy.

soma
2006-08-01, 13:23
I think the apps I'm going to be using fall under the universal banner anyhow (FCP etc). Video/film and music will be the main applications used by my [eventual] machine. btw - is photoshop universal? I take it Logic is...but what about Cubase and or Nuendo?
Can't see any major changes taking place for the imac anyhow - it runs dual intel...unless we'll see a duo/quad set implemented on the imac....!
Yeah, I'm going to wait a couple of weeks (I'm sure I'll hear news on this forum anyway) - priority now is to get myself a good quality prosumer video camera...and that's another minefield awaiting me!
Cheers.

almost2mac
2006-08-02, 20:16
I guess if the rumours suggested an upgrade at the end of the year or even the beginning of 2007 then no question I'd buy now...but speculation suggests the upgrade could as little a couple of weeks away.
But you're right - I had a good run around on the imac in the store yesterday and was pretty much blown away...I type this on a PC I built only last year which I've never really fallen in love with...and it's starting to crash like the previous one did!

soma

Soma, don't get wrapped up in the obsolesence paradox. I just got a 17" iMac and it's one of the best systems I've ever used, this after being a hardcore pc person for a very long time. I still play games, but on the mac I'm *productive*. I don't think the systems will be upgraded *that* much even if they are... I'm very satisfied with my intel dual-core imac.

soma
2006-08-03, 06:03
Indeed almost2mac...I'm awaiting the website to refresh it's wireless option then I'm pressing the 'buy' button. I had a real look at one the other evening...it's almost an extension of your own mind/body rather than a seperate chunk of chips...if you see what I mean!
Great phase by the way!

Bryson
2006-08-03, 07:58
Seriously, for the sake of us all, waiting 4 days could be prudent. If nothing shows up, buy one. It'll save us from all the bitter complaints in 5 days time, at the least.

JayReding
2006-08-03, 08:06
I have an iMac Core Duo as my primary machine, and I love it.

It might be a good idea to wait until WWDC, but if you really want a machine now, go ahead and get it. Chances are that the only change will be an upgrade from the Core Duo to the Core 2 Duo, which would be a nice upgrade, but not the sort of thing that would totally revolutionize the product.

Unfortunately, Photoshop is not universal, and while you do notice some slowness under Rosetta, it's still quite usable. Then again, I don't really tax it all that much, so if you're applying a lot of filters to print-size images it could be slow. CS3 will be Universal, and that comes out next year.

I also highly recommend buying Parallels Desktop - it's another $80, but it lets you run Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc right from your Mac desktop. Since I do web work, being able to drop into Windows to test with Internet Explorer (yuck!) is extremely useful.

Even with its current specs, the iMac is a fantastic machine. If you can stand to wait a few days for WWDC that would probably be a good idea, but you really can't go wrong with the system as it stands now.

psmith2.0
2006-08-03, 08:20
I say wait another few days...just in case WWDC brings something groovy. You never know (and if you grabby and buy now, and then next week they announce $200 price drops, faster iMacs and/or a Special Edition HD model for the price of today's 20", we're not going to be in the mood to hear you bitch and moan (and you will...I certainly would).

:D

What's four days? If nothing comes, then get the current iMac and don't worry about it. But I, personally, would NEVER buy a new Apple product - ANYTHING: iPod, display, desktop, laptop, etc. - a few days out from a major event like WWDC, MWSF, NAB or the Paris Expo or any other large expo where Apple traditionally has a strong presence or has been known to unveil new hardware. Or a pre-announced "special event".

But that's just me...

And one more thing: I don't care what people say about a certain event being considered "pro" or "consumer" (therefore, this or that particular machine "won't get upgraded there")...hogwash. There have been enough exceptions and weirdo, out-of-left-field announcements over the years to render that little nugget all but meaningless, IMO. We've had pro gear at "consumer" shows (TiBook and Xserve at MWSF), and vice versa (iChat AV and iSight at WWDC). We've had software at shows that have traditionally been hardware-oriented...and vice versa. We've had machines that have been updated twice in one year (iMacs) get updated a THIRD time, out of the blue, while other models (iBooks) languished in nine-plus month limbo...

Buying this close to a major event - regardless of which one - you're practically begging to be disappointed.

:p

soma
2006-08-03, 10:31
Cheers for the advice folks. I'm going to wait anyway...there's a 5 day shipping tab on the machine, plus you do not currently have the option to have the wireless mouse/keyboard (which I presume is because the mighty mouse is now wireless...few days ago the wireless was an option, but not the w'less MM.)
You can be sure I'll wait...it's in my nature!
First off I have to get a new vid cam (HDV quite possibly), so that's going to take a whole load of research.
...but what about Paris...isn't that September - I won't wait that long.

But I, personally, would NEVER buy a new Apple product - ANYTHING: iPod, display, desktop, laptop, etc. - a few days out from a major event like WWDC, MWSF, NAB or the Paris Expo or any other large expo where Apple traditionally has a strong presence or has been known to unveil new hardware. Or a pre-announced "special event".

I can't find why you wouldn't buy new - teething problems perhaps?

Fahrenheit
2006-08-03, 12:06
I think he means BEFORE the apple event, Soma.

soma
2006-08-03, 12:34
^^ yes - just read it back in context:
a few days out

Cross Atlantic wordings I'll put it down too eh :) !
Cheers.

psmith2.0
2006-08-03, 14:16
:)

I've got NO problem buying "new Apple gear". Yes, it's the timing I was talking about.

Fahrenheit
2006-08-03, 14:46
^^ yes - just read it back in context:

Cross Atlantic wordings I'll put it down too eh :) !
Cheers.

Hehe, Im from Cambridge though ;)

soma
2006-08-03, 15:24
...Mass? :)
In all honesty I must've come to an abrupt end after I read ANYTHING! Stopped me in my tracks it did! It was pscates2.0's "a few days out from a major event" which I thought was from over the pond...but off on a tangent here...any digi vid experts :) ?

I'll let you all know when it's time to buy...I'll even post a pic of the machine in it's new surroundings!
Cheers.