PDA

View Full Version : Cas Latency? Going to be an issue?

cjpadlock
2006-08-06, 17:40
Hey everyone, I am about to buy a Macbook and I have a quick question about the ram I get it. How big of a difference in performance will I see if I buy 1gb x 2 sticks with a cas latency of 5 rather than just getting an upgrade on the apple store to 512 x 2, with a cas latency of around 3 is what i've read. Will I see a hit in the performance if I go with the slower cas?

What should I go with?

2 gigs at a cas latency of 5... or
1 gig at a cas latency of 3

torifile
2006-08-06, 17:57
It will be insignificant, if there will be any difference at all.* You'll never notice the difference (in my experience). I'm using a Macbook with a 1 gig chip + 256 of the apple supplied stuff. I can't tell.

* if you're just surfing and typing, you should be fine. Don't sweat it at all.

MCQ
2006-08-06, 19:49
Huh?

2 GB (any CAS) > 1 GB (any CAS). CAS latency shouldn't even come into question unless you're comparing a similar amount of RAM.

Spike87
2006-08-07, 08:36
I second the "Huh?"

Double the RAM will alway be a far greater improvement in overall proformance then faster latency.

I always thought that CAS latency was generally only a concern of Hard-core gamers who can't bare the thought of lossing a few clock cycles waiting on memory.

torifile
2006-08-07, 09:21
I second the "Huh?"

Double the RAM will alway be a far greater improvement in overall proformance then faster latency.

I always thought that CAS latency was generally only a concern of Hard-core gamers who can't bare the thought of lossing a few clock cycles waiting on memory.
I third the "huh?" I didn't even read that he was talking about different amounts of RAM.