PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro?

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 21:10
Hi

I am going to be exchanging a computer for a Mac Pro tomorrow but have a couple questions before I do it.

1. Will I be able to hook the Mac Pro up to most any monitor?

2. Will the Mac Pro take my MacBook Pro RAM?

3. If no to 2, will Apple let me return the extra $600 of RAM I bought?

4. How does the Mac Pro compare to an iMac?

Thanks,

Mav

torifile
2006-08-10, 21:12
1. Mostly likely. You'll probably need an adapter (I think they're $19 from Apple).
2. No.
3. Probably not.
4. Different leagues. Heads and shoulders better.

Windowsrookie
2006-08-10, 21:13
What are you exchanging/getting for it?

torifile
2006-08-10, 21:16
What are you exchanging/getting for it?
I'd imagine a MBP from his questions.

Windowsrookie
2006-08-10, 21:17
*Slaps Head*

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 21:25
Just a question though:

I use my computer for web browsing, graphic design, web design, email, World of Warcraft, and IM- would an iMac be able to handle me? Just asking incase I cannot get a Mac Pro.

Windowsrookie
2006-08-10, 21:29
Yes, even a Mac mini could easily handle that.

So Apple lets you exchange computers for new ones?

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 21:31
Somewhat:

1. My MBP got repaired for the whine, and the whine didn't go away.

2. Good negotiation helps :P

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 21:33
Also, would an iMac (2 GHz, 2 GB RAM) be able to handle around 15+ apps open at a time?

Example workflow:

Safari
Mail
iCal
iTunes
Handbrake
World fo Warcraft
NeoOffice
CyberDuck
Dreamweaver
TextWrangler
PhotoBooth
Celtx
Flash
Fireworks
(possibly more)

Could it handle that? Just wondering... Cause that's my usoualy workflow...

torifile
2006-08-10, 21:37
Also, would an iMac (2 GHz, 2 GB RAM) be able to handle around 15+ apps open at a time?

Example workflow:

Safari
Mail
iCal
iTunes
Handbrake
World fo Warcraft
NeoOffice
CyberDuck
Dreamweaver
TextWrangler
PhotoBooth
Celtx
Flash
Fireworks
(possibly more)

Without blinking. An iMac would be perfect for you.

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 21:40
How long would an iMac last... I.e., could I change out the RAM, processor, or video card myself? Also, do you think they will come out with a new one soon?

JK47
2006-08-10, 21:54
If you can wait, then do so. One of these (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060727-7364.html) should be coming to the iMac line soon.

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 21:56
Kind of can't wait. Also, I don't think Apple will actually bother putting one in- iMacs already run hot enough! And if they were goign to put one in- when do you think they would do it? MWSF?

torifile
2006-08-10, 22:01
How long would an iMac last... I.e., could I change out the RAM, processor, or video card myself? Also, do you think they will come out with a new one soon?
No one really knows how long they'll last. You can upgrade the RAM very easily. I don't know about the other 2. But if all you're doing is what you listed above, the computer should be more than adequate for your uses for a long time to come.

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 22:09
Would the iMac be good for video editing as well? Also, how long do you think it will last?

Kraetos
2006-08-10, 22:13

Nothing about the iMac is easily/user upgradeable except the RAM, which maxes out at 2 GB of 667 DDR2 SDRAM.

However, if you max out a 20" iMac, it is still $225 less than a Mac Pro but will still fit your needs perfectly for, my estimate, about 2 years, before you really notice any slowdown. That's a conservative estimate, it will probably last much longer. My 3 year old 1 GHz PB G4 handles workflows similar to yours, and only recently (six months or so) have I noticed any slowdown, and this machine wasn't even top of the line when it was new.

Mac Pro would be overkill for your needs, but if you can/need/want to drop 2.5k + monitor (plus another $210 RAM from NewEgg or $300 from Apple) on a Mac Pro, it will be noticeably faster/last longer. Very much up to you.

Not many people need a workstation computer or a convertible sportscar or a lot of other things. But if you want it, can see how it would help, and can afford it, then go for it! :)

Kraetos
2006-08-10, 22:17
Kind of can't wait.

Golden rule is, if you can't wait, dont wait.

Also, I don't think Apple will actually bother putting one in- iMacs already run hot enough! And if they were goign to put one in- when do you think they would do it?

Actually the Core 2 runs cooler and consumes less power at the same clock speeds as the Core 1, and is a drop in replacement. That is why the iMac and MBP will probably recieve these upgrades sooner rather than later.

If they put one in, it would probably be at Apple Expo Paris, sept. 16.

Brad
2006-08-10, 22:21
...will still fit your needs perfectly for, my estimate, about 2 years, before you really notice any slowdown. That's a conservative estimate, it will probably last much longer.
Oh, easily.

Minus modern games like World of Warcraft (which would probably run fine too if I upgraded my GPU), my six-year-old Power Mac (dual 500 MHz G4) can handle tasks like those just fine. It's still my primary day-to-day machine at home (web programming, office-type stuff, some older games, etc.) and I very rarely notice any performance issues.

At long as you add plenty of memory, running multiple concurrent apps shouldn't be a problem at all.

I find that most people seriously overestimate their actual computing needs. No offense, but it looks like you might be too. :)

torifile
2006-08-10, 22:21
Would the iMac be good for video editing as well? Also, how long do you think it will last?
The one foray I had into video editing, the iMac was a champ. No complaints at all. It should be more than adequate. Remember, that up until last week, people were doing video editing on G5s without a problem and the Core Duo is a better processor. My iMac will likely be good for another 3 years or so. I'll probably get rid of it sooner, but that's because that's what I do.

However, I would wait for an upgrade to the iMac at this point. It will come sooner rather than later. It's been almost 7 months since it was updated. Wait if you can.

Windowsrookie
2006-08-10, 22:34

What do you mean by "Last" if you mean Power wise, Several years. People still use 300mhz G3's for Video editing. If you mean "Last" as in before it dies. The LCD will probably die before anything else, and even then you can still use External monitors. Expect it to last over 10 years.

Kraetos
2006-08-10, 22:35
Oh, easily.

Minus modern games like World of Warcraft (which would probably run fine too if I upgraded my GPU), my six-year-old Power Mac (dual 500 MHz G4) can handle tasks like those just fine. It's still my primary day-to-day machine at home and I very rarely notice any performance issues.

At long as you add plenty of memory, running multiple concurrent apps shouldn't be a problem at all.

I find that most people seriously overestimate their actual computing needs. No offense, but it looks like you might be too. :)

What Brad said. I could probably double the RAM in my PB G4 and eek another year out of it, but those new Mac Pros are so shiny, and I am so sick of my current desktop computer, a Windows PC :no: , that I've decided its upgrade time. As an added bonus, it means I am going from two computers to one.

Desktops are also inherently more resilient than laptops, so Brad's estimate of 6-8 years is more accurate than the 3-4 you can expect with a portable.

dmegatool
2006-08-10, 22:39

Example workflow:

Safari
Mail
iCal
iTunes
Handbrake
World fo Warcraft
NeoOffice
CyberDuck
Dreamweaver
TextWrangler
PhotoBooth
Celtx
Flash
Fireworks
(possibly more)

WTF ?!? You play and work at the same time ? No good for your work... :p

Engine Joe
2006-08-10, 22:53
I can't see why you'd need a Mac Pro based on your self-described usage. Total overkill and a waste of your money. An iMac now (or an iMac later, if you wish to wait and can) will serve you fine for several years.

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 23:14
In terms of the overkill- beacuse they are allowing me to exchange my MacBook Pro for another Mac, it gives me about $2900 of credit. I have to use it all somehow, because they cannot give me actual cash. In terms of waiting for a Core 2 Duo- not sure if I am going to wait, I am not sure how long they would let me wait to exchange it. Also, do you really think the Core 2 Duo would go into macs that soon? Also, I'm a teen- I don't get paid for web design by the hour! Only by the project! Also, do you think they would be cramming a Core 2 Duo into the Mac Mini? Also- would a Mac Mini even be able to handle my needs? I know about the FPS it gets with WoW, so no one has to rant on about that! :D

Schnauzer
2006-08-10, 23:46

Example workflow:

Safari
Mail
iCal
iTunes
Handbrake
World fo Warcraft
NeoOffice
CyberDuck
Dreamweaver
TextWrangler
PhotoBooth
Celtx
Flash
Fireworks
(possibly more)

should work fine

Kraetos
2006-08-10, 23:50
In terms of the overkill- beacuse they are allowing me to exchange my MacBook Pro for another Mac, it gives me about $2900 of credit. I have to use it all somehow, because they cannot give me actual cash.

Well, if you "have" to spend $2,900, then a Mac Pro in the recommended configuration and a 20" LCD makes sense.

[EDIT] Scratch that. The 20" still costs $700 - 2x what it should. Go with the 2 GB RAM and use an old monitor, or find a 20" on NewEgg for $350.

In terms of waiting for a Core 2 Duo- not sure if I am going to wait, I am not sure how long they would let me wait to exchange it.

Smart money is on sept. 16th, Expo Paris, but if you can't wait it isn't like the speed increase is going to be a quantum leap forward - not like the G4 to the Core Duo was - so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, do you really think the Core 2 Duo would go into macs that soon?

The Core Duo was in Macs the day after it was released. Frankly, I thought that the MBP and iMac would be Core 2 by now. Expo Paris is a lock, IMO.

Also, I'm a teen- I don't get paid for web design by the hour! Only by the project!

I am in the same boat, but I have been muddling along with a 1 GHz PB G4 all summer, so stop your whining :) :p

Also, do you think they would be cramming a Core 2 Duo into the Mac Mini?

When the "budget" Conroe comes out in January, I bet this chip makes it into the mini. It's cheaper, runs cooler, consumes less power, and is more powerful than the existing mini chip.

losslesshead
2006-08-10, 23:55
The Mini is looking more and more attractive... With the 64MB shared video card actually being a plus (I am trying to kick a gaming habbit)! I am not sure if I have all of $2900, but I have somewhere between $2400-$2900. Plus if I was going to get a mini I could get a 23" screen! The whole config would actually fit nicely in my room... Would the mini handle my workflow (minus, maybe a couple applications which I just found I have no need for like Dreamweaver)?

Kraetos
2006-08-11, 01:29
The Mini is looking more and more attractive... With the 64MB shared video card actually being a plus (I am trying to kick a gaming habbit)! I am not sure if I have all of $2900, but I have somewhere between $2400-$2900. Plus if I was going to get a mini I could get a 23" screen! The whole config would actually fit nicely in my room... Would the mini handle my workflow (minus, maybe a couple applications which I just found I have no need for like Dreamweaver)?

I just got a 1.66 mini to replace my 1 GHz G4 tower (which is about to be eBayed, keep your eyes peeled ;) ) and it is quite Snappy™. I imagine that with 2 GB of RAM and a 120 GB HD, it will fit your needs and space contraints nicely.

FWIW, Apple LCDs are a huge ripoff, except the 30". A quick scan of NewEgg will reveal that there are 3 or 4 other 23/24" manufacturers (my Samsung will be arriving tomorrow) and a dozen 19/20" widescreen manufacturers, all of which offer a third less on the 23" and a whopping 50% less on the 20". To add insult to injury, the ACD TFT panel is one of the worst out there, compared to other manufacturers. The 20" should cost $499 and the 23" should cost $999, and they both should update their panels. Its actually quite appalling that Apple sells such inferior displays with such a huge "Apple tax."

But, if they "exchange" your MBP, you have the credit, so an ACD makes the most sense.

initialsBB
2006-08-11, 03:35
I am trying to kick a gaming habbit

:lol:

i've been saying that for 5 years... ... ... :cancer:

Dave
2006-08-11, 04:36
They're giving you store credit? I'd go with the Mac Pro and have a computer that'll meet your needs for the next 5 years. Otherwise you'll have to buy all your computer stuff from the Apple store to get your money back, and there's only so many accessories you can get before it becomes ridiculous.

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 07:41
They're giving you store credit? I'd go with the Mac Pro and have a computer that'll meet your needs for the next 5 years. Otherwise you'll have to buy all your computer stuff from the Apple store to get your money back, and there's only so many accessories you can get before it becomes ridiculous.

Here is the one thing about the Mac Pro- store's usually only have the default model with only RAM and HD upgrades avaliable. Plus my speakers just broke. So if I was to get a Mac Pro at this time- I wouldn't actually have a monitor or speakers- so that's out of the question. But what about the Mac Mini vs iMac?

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 09:35
Also, in general, how long would a Mac Mini last, and would it meet my needs?

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 09:46
How long has your current computer lasted by the way?

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 09:47
Which one? MacBook Pro? Got it a month ago. Worked fine or two weeks. It took another two weeks to repair. But the repair didn't fix the problem.

alcimedes
2006-08-11, 09:51
Man, if I had a $2900 credit I'd be looking at a Mac Pro all the way.

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 09:55
Man, if I had a $2900 credit I'd be looking at a Mac Pro all the way.

Could be less though- and if they don't let me return the RAM then I really can't get a Mac Pro. I don't really feel like wasting 2 GB of RAM!

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 10:07
Which one? MacBook Pro? Got it a month ago. Worked fine or two weeks. It took another two weeks to repair. But the repair didn't fix the problem.
No I meant the other computer on which you worked until you bought the MacBook Pro.

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 10:10
Ohhhh. Lasted a little bit more than a year. Was an iMac G5. It's actually still going- my mom wanted it for her office computer. The only reason I was able to get an MBP was beacuse my grandmother gave my family some money and my parents decided to share it with me.

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 10:17
Ah, I see, and before that?

Anyway, either computer you'll buy will/should last your for at least three years.

I'd vote Macbook or iMac for you - Do you have to use all the credit in one go or can you spread it..?

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 10:20
Ah, I see, and before that?

Anyway, either computer you'll buy will/should last your for at least three years.

I'd vote Macbook or iMac for you - Do you have to use all the credit in one go or can you spread it..?

I could never use a MacBook. I actually started out with a MacBook before I got a MacBook Pro- it didn't have enough power for me, even with 2GB RAM (don't know why though, I thought it would). So I had to move up to an MBP. Don't think I can spread it.

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 10:31
If you were just asking us what to buy, I'd say either MacBook Pro or iMac, maybe Mac Pro. But you're coming from a MacBook Pro, so I really don't know - Apparently your power needs (be it real or perceived) are certainly above average.

Comes to it that you have $600 in MacBook Pro ram - So I'd look for a MacBook Pro. Apart from the whine, how was it capable of handling you?

And I'm thinking that you really should go and ask that you don't have to spend all that credit in one go.

Dave
2006-08-11, 10:32
Here is the one thing about the Mac Pro- store's usually only have the default model with only RAM and HD upgrades avaliable. Plus my speakers just broke. So if I was to get a Mac Pro at this time- I wouldn't actually have a monitor or speakers- so that's out of the question. But what about the Mac Mini vs iMac?
They won't let you do a custom order there? Buy some cheap speakers until you can afford good ones. Even the cheapies will be better than the built-in speakers on your MBP.

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 10:34
It handled well. But the thing is- the MacBook Pro RAM can go into any other Apple Computer besides the Mac Pro. Also, I am extremely hesitant to try another MacBook Pro. I am sick of repairs and the whine. Now if only I had enough for a 17"... Those never had a whine problem...

torifile
2006-08-11, 10:44
You've got too much money. :no: Buy whatever the hell you feel like; you can't really make a wrong decision, from a power perspective here.

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 10:48
What torifile said, only less "whateva"-like :)

Basically, it's a luxury problem - The computer you're going to buy tomorrow will/should last you at least three years. I still think that a MacBook Pro should fit you best with iMac as a close second.

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 10:51
Ok. I am going to go to the Apple store in around 20 minutes, and try everything out and compare them. Screw the benchmarks, real world comparisons here I come!

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 10:52
And really push for not having to spend all the store credit in one go!

torifile
2006-08-11, 11:40
And really push for not having to spend all the store credit in one go!
Seconded! Most stores will just give you a store credit on a reusable card. Chances are you'll be able to use it over the course of a year or so. If that's the case, I'd consider 1) either waiting for the iMac upgrade or 2) buying an iMac and using the rest of the credit on other stuff over the course of the next year (perhaps a MacBook for portability).

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 12:14
Yeah - he could ask for gift vouchers ultimately! He might be getting a lot of them - but he spent a lot of money too, so...

torifile
2006-08-11, 20:38
So what'd you get? As grumpy as I am sometimes, I'm still excited when someone gets a new Mac. :)

macleod
2006-08-11, 20:55
How much RAM do you think is needed for the 2.66 GHz model with the 7300 graphics card? I ordered it with 2 GB from apple but I didn't know if that is enough. I will most likely be using Quark Express 7, Aperture, and maybe FCP a little later. Thanks!

losslesshead
2006-08-11, 21:18
Hey everyone!

Two things...

1. Macleod- don't hijack a thread- start your own!

2. This is the real news!

I went to the Apple Store and finally decided to get the following:

Mac Mini
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
Wireless Stuff
80 GB HD
2 GB RAM
AppleCare

LACIE Mac Mini 140 (or 160?) GB HD

Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks II

Wireless Keyboard/Wireless Mighty Mouse

20" Apple Cinema Display

I couldn't be happier!

Thanks for all the advice (though I don't think I really took it)!

macleod
2006-08-11, 21:20
Why start another thread when there is already a thread on the topic? The point is to *not* start redundant threads.

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 22:25
losslesshead,

did you get store credit from the remaining money or did you spend it all right there? Also, what are you going to do with your 600 dollars in MacBook (Pro) memory?

Anyway, I hope you're happy - still a bit puzzled why a mac mini should satisfy your needs and a MacBook wouldn't, but there you go.

torifile
2006-08-11, 22:38
losslesshead,

did you get store credit from the remaining money or did you spend it all right there? Also, what are you going to do with your 600 dollars in MacBook (Pro) memory?

Anyway, I hope you're happy - still a bit puzzled why a mac mini should satisfy your needs and a MacBook wouldn't, but there you go.
Sheer confusion.

If I were losslesshead, I would have gotten the MB + Cinema Display (can they support the ACDs now?), a video camera and an external hard drive. But that's just me. :)

torifile
2006-08-11, 22:46
What RAM did you get for $600? An upgrade to 2gb is only $270 or $450 depending on what model you had.

digitalprimate
2006-08-11, 23:17
Well seeing all the models he went through before settling on the mini, he could easily have got to that amount...

losslesshead
2006-08-12, 01:07
Ok, a couple fo things to answer:

1. MacBook + ACD? I had a MacBook once, it just couldn't handle what I do, and for some (odd) reason, the Mac Mini can! To test if the Mac Mini could meet my needs, I opened every single application they had in-store on a Mac Mini 1.66 GHz 1GB RAM and wanted to see what happened. This was around 20 APPS. It only started to slow down when I opened 20 Safari windows (last thing I opened)!

2. I did get remaining credit put on an Apple Store Gift Card.

3. An upgrade to 2 GB RAM (in-store) is $600. Remember that the my whole recent escapade started with a MacBook, and that is when I got the RAM.

digitalprimate
2006-08-12, 01:12
1) <silence> EDIT: Allthough, maybe it was the harddisk bottlenecking the MacBook after all...

2) Wahey!! Good on ya!

3) @ torifile: Told you so... :)

Good, so hopefully your 'troubles' are over for a while now. Have fun!