PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with 17" MBP or Powerbook

hdworld007
2006-08-10, 21:57
I am looking at buying a 17" MBP but wanted to find out if anyone has used it on a plane and if so have they been able to open it up and do work in economy class.

Windowsrookie
2006-08-10, 22:44
I am looking at buying a 17" MBP but wanted to find out if anyone has used it on a plane and if so have they been able to open it up and do work in economy class.

Wow, Economy classes must be expensive on planes. ;)

Now, most likely 17" is way to big for what you need. I highly recommend the 15" over the 17" for portability.

msriotdoll
2006-08-11, 00:50
i don't think you'll be able to carry that notebook with you on the plane anymore do to recent world events..
it will have to be checked in :(

alcimedes
2006-08-11, 06:25
If it ever does go back to not checking your laptop, I have a 17" powerbook and it has been fine on planes. They're more wide than tall, which isn't too much of an issue.

Typing can be a bit of a bitch because the seats are fairly narrow, but just get to know whoever is sitting next to you.

kretara
2006-08-11, 09:00
I can't use my 17" MBP on planes if the person if front of me reclines even the least. With no recliners in front I can sort of use it, but it is so big (wide) that using it is a very tight squeeze.
If I must fly, I take my 12" PB. It is so much more portable.
Plus, the 17" gets frigging heavy after awhile, but much better than the old Thinkpads I used to lug around.

PKfanSteph
2006-08-17, 15:24
This makes me glad I decided not to go with the 17" MacBook Pro. I will be doing some traveling in Sept / Oct (by car, bus, train and plane!) and I'm looking forward to using my 15" MBP along the way.

Laptops are still allowed as carry-ons here in the US according to the TSA:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I'd leave my laptop at home before I'd check it. Which is why I don't travel with my guitar! But I know several professional musicians who don't have the option to leave either of those at home.

neiltc13
2006-08-17, 15:44
What about the MacBook? Maybe it would meet your needs more than the MacBook Pro.