PDA

View Full Version : Bug/oversight: quickreply buttons

Paul
2004-09-15, 18:23
it seems the quick reply button is gone... instead at the bottom of each post are "reply" and "quote" buttons that do exactly the same thing...

can a mod or admin look into this please?

thanks.

-Paul

curiousuburb
2004-09-15, 18:26
Looks like the "Reply" button is now the Quick Reply button.
It's actually the "Reply" (new page) button that's missing.

Paul
2004-09-15, 18:27
yeah, was just going to post that after I actually tried to USE the reply button...

weird that they both have the same "url" tho...

_Ω_
2004-09-15, 19:07
You will notice they are slightly different....

curiousuburb
2004-09-15, 19:15
You will notice they are slightly different....

http://www.robotfrank.com/gary3.jpg

The status bar rollover urls are identical.

Paul
2004-09-15, 19:16
http://forums.applenova.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=30154 (reply)
http://forums.applenova.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=30154 (quote)

(on OW 5.0.1)

_Ω_
2004-09-15, 19:42
My bad - thought you were comparing reply and post reply.

I blame sleep dep :p

:)

Paul
2004-09-15, 19:49
what is "reply" new page? do you mean "new thread"?

curiousuburb
2004-09-15, 19:57
I meant that the old function of the "Reply" button (now the function of the "Post Reply" button) forces a new page for the reply, whereas the Quick Reply doesn't require the new page (unless you click "Go Advanced").

One requires a refresh, one doesn't. Could have been clearer, I guess.

Paul
2004-09-15, 20:02
well the quote button does just that... you just have to delete some text in the text box first... :shrug: I don't see much use for a straight reply box in every post...

however, there used to be a "new thread" button at the top of each page (still is this way back on .com) and would not be a bad addition either; although it could cause some confusion when people click it by mistake and because they look so similar end up creating a new thread instead of a reply in the existing thread...

curiousuburb
2004-09-15, 20:15
well the quote button does just that... you just have to delete some text in the text box first... :shrug: I don't see much use for a straight reply box in every post...

I agree... either quote or quick reply and save the refresh.
Why regular (refresh) Post reply at all (except for clickable smilies).

however, there used to be a "new thread" button at the top of each page (still is this way back on .com) and would not be a bad addition either; although it could cause some confusion when people click it by mistake and because they look so similar end up creating a new thread instead of a reply in the existing thread...

Bad idea, IMO... asking for lots of accidental/unnecessary threads.
But it isn't my burden to mod and prune them. :p

I would like to see a Post new Thread button on the View New Posts page.
(Maybe with a script that parses the title to detect which forum to park it in (or a pulldown)). ;)

edit: on second thought, maybe limiting the New Thread to the forum pages serves a purpose,
forcing potential new thread posters to scan the front page of the forum for similar threads.
(Though to truly serve that need, the button should be at the bottom.) :devil:

alcimedes
2004-09-15, 20:25
I meant that the old function of the "Reply" button (now the function of the "Post Reply" button) forces a new page for the reply, whereas the Quick Reply doesn't require the new page (unless you click "Go Advanced").

One requires a refresh, one doesn't. Could have been clearer, I guess.
reply within the post now replies to that post. via the quick reply option. you can include the quoted text as well if you'd like. there's still the "post reply" button at the bottom of the thread, which does a reply with all the buttons/options. actually, it makes sense that the reply nested in a post replies to just that post, i kind of like it know that i know what it means.

curiousuburb
2004-09-15, 20:30
reply within the post now replies to that post. via the quick reply option. you can include the quoted text as well if you'd like. there's still the "post reply" button at the bottom of the thread, which does a reply with all the buttons/options. actually, it makes sense that the reply nested in a post replies to just that post, i kind of like it know that i know what it means.

How is the nested reply a reply to only that post, as compared to Post reply (without quoting)?

Reply and Reply Advanced (for the Post Reply version) might be a more appropriate distinction.

edit: Quick Reply's use of the "Quote message" tickbox doesn't allow the editing of quote :\

alcimedes
2004-09-15, 20:34
How is...... quote :\

quote quote's the text, allows editing and gives full editing options.

LoCash
2004-09-15, 21:18
You guys just went to full blown idiot mode in a matter of seconds. We change an image and BOOM.

It's amazing really. Someone call Ripley.

curiousuburb
2004-09-15, 21:20
stating the obvious without answering

No. Really? :sarcasm:

Paul
2004-09-15, 21:22
well to be fair to myself you changed the image, but not the roll-over text... so to me it looked stupid and I couldn't use the nifty quick reply box...
that is of course until I actually tried to USE the new buttons... :o

thuh Freak
2004-09-15, 22:34
can we move the "Post Reply" button to the right side? i dont know where it used to be, but it would seem more natural to thuh Freak.

Brad
2004-09-15, 22:47
Uh, the Post Reply button has been on the left since Day One. :confused:

thuh Freak
2004-09-16, 09:00
Uh, the Post Reply button has been on the left since Day One. :confused:
idk. i used to use the reply button (which is on the right). it just seems that all the reply buttons should be on the right. not terribly important. i'll get used to the quote button soon enough.

Brad
2004-09-16, 11:09
idk. i used to use the reply button (which is on the right). it just seems that all the reply buttons should be on the right. not terribly important. i'll get used to the quote button soon enough.Funny you say that because I actually raised the very same comment to Jack yesterday, that they would all make better sense if they were all slapped together on the right side. :) Then, though, we need to figure out what to do with the page number holder that's on the right side.

In any case, we'll be working out some designs on the test server to get it all ready for the big UI update in the coming months. We just wanted to go ahead and get the "reply" quick reply button on the live site since we'd been meaning to replace that ugly arrow-page icon for so long.

Paul
2004-09-16, 16:23
can someone please fix the rollover url/text? pleaaaseee?

Brad
2004-09-16, 17:01
Why? What is there to "fix"? It's exactly the same as it was before.

:confused:

And besides, I don't think we *can* change the URL on the buttons (without resorting to some awful JavaScript deception). It'll break the functionality of them.

What exactly isn't clear enough about them? They're in the same relative location. Only one of them has a different graphic. Everything does exactly the same thing as before.

They even have tooltips for further clarification (see attachment). What more can we do without breaking the UI theme we've got going? Put different text on the buttons? I tried "quick reply" and that makes the button huge. "q.reply" looks weird (but fits) and still doesn't help clarify the functionality (the q could be seen as "quote").

Paul
2004-10-01, 13:34
well, that explains things...
:o

This wouldn't have been a problem if OW correctly provided tool tips like safari... :rolleyes:

thanks for the explanation... :)