PDA

View Full Version : Is the current iPod worth the money?

m3030306
2006-08-16, 20:50
I am using Ipod MINI and i decided its time that i get another IPOD.

I wanted something bigger than my current mini, so i decided on the IPOD.

Ive heard some disappointing things abouth the video play time and the screen

But, as I dont know too much, i thougth I would ask you guys,

Can you tell me about both the 30 G and the 60 G?

oh, and when do you expect the 6th generation of IPOD to come out? isnt it about time/?

FFL
2006-08-16, 20:52
forget about the IPOD, the Ipod, and even the iPod, and get yourself an IPOd.

Robo
2006-08-16, 21:13
He even capitalized "MINI," no less.

Nobody can decide if a new iPod is worth your money except you.

As for the 30GB vs. the 60GB, well...the 60GB holds twice as much. That's about it. (It's also a little bit thicker.)

And new iPods? The earliest we would see them would be the Paris Apple Expo on September 12 (just before the iPod rebate ends - the new iPods would probably be exempt from the deal). The latest we'd see them would probably be Christmas Eve. So somewhere in there will be the new iPod (no word on what the sixth generation will entail).

The iPod's fifth birthday is in mid-October, and that's as good a guess as any as to when the new iPods will be out.

MacConvert
2006-08-16, 21:29
I have a 30GB 5th Generation. I can hook it up to my non-HD 53" TV and get a really great picture. I purchased the UT/USC game hilights and wowed people with how good they looked on TV. I have also recorded some shows from video tape and played them on TV. They looked great also. You can see some quality differences. On a non-HD TV, they are negligible.

windowsblowsass
2006-08-16, 22:55
if price is the big concern sheck the refurb store on apples website i got a 30gig 5th gen for 200

Bryson
2006-08-17, 06:16
Be fair folks, he's Korean.

I'm sure my Korean capitalisation* will be at least a little off....

Anyway, I have a 5G iPod and find the Battery life while watching movies to be adequate. It's unlikely that you'll want to watch multiple movies in one sitting on the thing.

The 60GB is significanty thicker than the 30gb, mind.

Note: I don't speak Korean at all and don't even know if they have such a thing as capitalisation - but you see my point.

m3030306
2006-08-17, 21:06
Be fair folks, he's Korean.

I'm sure my Korean capitalisation* will be at least a little off....

Anyway, I have a 5G iPod and find the Battery life while watching movies to be adequate. It's unlikely that you'll want to watch multiple movies in one sitting on the thing.

The 60GB is significanty thicker than the 30gb, mind.

Note: I don't speak Korean at all and don't even know if they have such a thing as capitalisation - but you see my point.

lol. did my capitalization become of such significance ? :)

will not do next time.

Robo
2006-08-17, 21:21
No, that's fine. We just get a lot of people making capitalization mistakes. I didn't realize that English was (presumably) not your first language. So sorry if I was a bit snappy. I can't speak any foreign language very well, so you're a step ahead of me. ;)

But, like I said before, nobody knows when the new iPods will come out. To be honest, the current iPod is really good, and it's not like a new iPod will make yours worse in any way. So I would probably not wait. Waiting for new computers is one thing, but iPods? You can't wait for everything.

Hope that helps!

initialsBB
2006-08-18, 05:05
As you already have an iPod, I wouldn't run out and get a new one right now. I am guessing that you can wait a little longer, because new iPods will come out some time or another (before the end of the year, maybe). I am also wanting to replace my 3G iPod, but mine works fine for the moment and I can wait until the next are announced, whenever that is.

edit: 200 !

BarracksSi
2006-08-18, 17:29
The next one is likely to come out pretty soon, before the end of the year.

I've now got three -- a 3rd gen 40GB iPod (the one with the four red-lit horizontal buttons), a 1-gig Shuffle, and just recently a 60GB 5th gen iPod. I don't have a Nano yet because the Shuffle fills that role for me, and I use the big iPod as backup storage for my entire Home folder. I think that my iBook can't boot off of USB, so I'm keeping the FireWire-based 3rd gen with a bootable OS folder just in case.

Worth the money? Sure, why not? I knew that a new one is on the way, and I still bought the current model.

initialsBB
2006-08-19, 04:07
The next one is likely to come out pretty soon, before the end of the year.

I've now got three -- a 3rd gen 40GB iPod (the one with the four red-lit horizontal buttons), a 1-gig Shuffle, and just recently a 60GB 5th gen iPod. I don't have a Nano yet because the Shuffle fills that role for me, and I use the big iPod as backup storage for my entire Home folder. I think that my iBook can't boot off of USB, so I'm keeping the FireWire-based 3rd gen with a bootable OS folder just in case.

Worth the money? Sure, why not? I knew that a new one is on the way, and I still bought the current model.

Well, I dunno, an iPod is a lot of cash for a backup solution...

BarracksSi
2006-08-19, 06:33
Using one only as a backup solution is a waste of money. But, of course, an iPod is much more than a portable HD.

spikeh
2006-08-19, 09:05
forget about the IPOD, the Ipod, and even the iPod, and get yourself an IPOd.

Since we're being anal about capitalisation, could you please start sentences in the traditional, capitalised manner in the future? It'd make things a lot clearer - I thought you were half-way through talking!

:p