PDA

View Full Version : Pricing change on the G5 iMac

murbot
2004-09-17, 11:13
Killing time on Apple's website today, which has become quite a habit as I wait for my new iMac, I notice something strange. I can now purchase an iMac with exactly the same configuration for $116 less. (CDN funds)

Of course I can't remember the exact cost increase for each of my upgrades, but I seem to recall the RAM being more than a $101 increase. I upgraded it from 256MB to 512MB (single DIMM). I also had added an AirPort Extreme Card, Bluetooth module, and upgraded to the 250GB HD.

Apple does have a price guarantee for 10 days after you receive it, right? I'm guessing that if they drop the price on something before it even ships, they'll match... at least I hope so. Maybe I'll give them a call this morning.

Just seems odd. I can't remember ever seeing this before, at least not on something so new. :confused:

Edit: anyone know if this is the case on the US store as well?

Paul
2004-09-17, 12:05
yes... I noticed this as well... in the iMac G5 thread that messiatosh started during the keynote I posted the setup I had tried to purchase with EDU discount and it came out to exactly $2499

the same thing now is like $120 cheaper
I did all the same upgrades as yourself, but I did the bluetooth module with keyboard and mouse so that was like $40 more...

it is odd and I'm glad I wasn't approved for that apple credit card...

murbot
2004-09-17, 12:41
Just got off the phone with a female drone at Apple.

She says "there was obviously an issue with the pricing... but we never drop our prices, especially not that fast". Then she laughed, like the idea of the price going down was the stupidest thing she had ever heard.

A reminder that the price was now lower, and that I thought it was probably the RAM upgrade that changed, caused another chuckle.

Yeah, the error was just that I got charged too much the first time. NOW the price is correct. heh heh

Anyway, they changed the price for me. :)

psmith2.0
2004-09-17, 12:47
Giggling at price issues? You should've threatened to sic Matsu on her! :D

curiousuburb
2004-09-17, 13:00
Keep trying for a few more days... maybe the price will keep dropping ;)

< * checks CDN$ ~ USD$ exchange rate * >

Thought the Loonie might have moved to explain it... not enough.

Moogs
2004-09-17, 13:17
Maybe iMacs are like RAM now... highly volatile pricing from day to day.

:D

murbot
2004-09-17, 14:05
I think it was the RAM that they adjusted. It was only $101 CDN to upgrade the single 256 chip to a single 512. I'm sure it was more than that the first time... a hundred bucks doesn't sound very Apple-y to me. ;)

murbot
2004-09-17, 15:35
So dudes, anyone out there that just ordered one... check it out. If it's cheaper now, they'll credit you the difference right away.

Matsu
2004-09-17, 17:46
:err:

Price change huh?

:grumble:

Frank777
2004-09-17, 18:14
You really owe Matsu one, Murbot.

He's probably been doing that price dance for weeks now, and it's starting to pay off...

:lol:

Matsu
2004-09-17, 20:26
I've not been keeping up. Funny thing about jobs, sometimes they require work. Ah, one day, when I make the jump to bureaucracy...

matt
2004-09-17, 20:33
ordered mine 8/31, just configured same model - same price?

EDU, 20" iMac, bluetooth kit, 1GB RAM - $2090

bpmendoza
2004-09-19, 11:39
I had a similar problem - I noticed that they had not applied the education discounts and called - they corrected my price. I think the canadian apple store wasn't working properly on the day they announced the G5, hence the corrections being noted here.