PDA

View Full Version : iMac or Mac Pro + ACD

jimbo110
2006-08-25, 10:38
I own a mac mini with a 15" display. Now I have plans to only use mac and drop my windows pc.

I use my mac for designing and maintaining my websites use photoshop for designing graphics. And web-surfing, e-mail, itunes, iphoto and office. I need a bigger display have had my eyes on a 23" display. And I'm considering buying a mac pro when leopard comes next year. What do you thing is it better to buy a imac 20" for my use?

Windowsrookie
2006-08-25, 11:32
Don't buy what you don't need.

chucker
2006-08-25, 11:34
20-inch iMac.

Mugge
2006-08-25, 11:37
If you get the 20" iMac you can also hook up a 23" ACD to it, then you have two displays.

The iMac is well capable of all the tasks you mention. However, Photoshop will probably not be particularly fast until an universal binary comes out at some time in the future. I would have to agree with windowsrookie and chucker, unless you are a fairly heavy PS user.

polvoronn
2006-08-25, 11:44
However, Photoshop will probably not be particularly fast until an universal binary comes out at some time in the future.

with that said, a UB of PS is expected in Q1 2007

Fahrenheit
2006-08-25, 11:58
Don't buy what you don't need.
Hows that PowerMac going them, WR? ;)

jimbo110
2006-08-25, 15:01
I use PS a lot. Normally when I buy a computer I have it for many years and upgrade ram etc.. If I buy a imac 20" 2GB and in a few years need to upgrade it won't it be difficult to upgrade it? Isn't a imac just a short term investment? And wouldn't a mac pro last longer than a imac? Let's say i have a imac for a couple of years and it becomes to slow. Then there is not much to do than buy a new imac?

PB PM
2006-08-25, 15:48
I use PS a lot. Normally when I buy a computer I have it for many years and upgrade ram etc.. If I buy a imac 20" 2GB and in a few years need to upgrade it won't it be difficult to upgrade it? Isn't a imac just a short term investment? And wouldn't a mac pro last longer than a imac? Let's say i have a imac for a couple of years and it becomes to slow. Then there is not much to do than buy a new imac?
Well, sure there isn't a lot of upgrade room, but it will be at least four or five years before any thing (other than games) that will be out of its abilities to run. The Mac Pro can get more hard drives, better graphics card, more RAM (although unless you run heavy duty apps I doubt you'll need more than 2GBs) but thats about it. Once Intel switches the pin connectors (early next year) you wont be able to put a faster CPU in it so really you'd be in the same boat. If you need more drives for the iMac, get externals. The question is, what can you afford to upgrade more often? iMac or Mac Pro... ?

Lets put it this way, I would buy the iMac, max the RAM, and sit tight four years, upgrade. That is what most Mac Pro users will be doing too so, its not much different unless you go for the Quad 3Ghz, or if you really need that extra .66Mhz. Do you think you'll be run apps that need more than 2GBs before you upgrade again? If not the iMac is the way to go.

dmegatool
2006-08-25, 17:11
You cant not compare the core duo with the xeon. At the same clock xeon will probably be faster. The iMac needs conroe to be at the same level. And if you compare Xeon to Xeon, someone told that you gain 12% just between the 2.66 and the 3.0. So 0.66 Ghz(still 666mhz) has probably a greater difference.

With that said if you got the cash = Mac pro (even downgraded mac pro) + 23"(more space thant 20")
If not, the iMac stay a excellent choice.

Mugge
2006-08-26, 04:08

I've actually made some calculations on that subject in another thread:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=18519&page=2&highlight=Mac+Pro
Just scroll down to my post.

My conclusion is that it is cheaper just to buy an entirely new iMac, instead of buying the more expensive Mac Pro.

jimbo110
2006-08-27, 06:35
Thanks. That really gives me hole new perspective. Great post mugge. Danish kroner...by the way I'm danish;-)

Mugge
2006-08-27, 08:17
Det var så lidt.

:)

jimbo110
2006-08-28, 03:35
Jeg var lidt usikker på om du var dansk da der stod "Vilnius, Lithuania" he he

Hyggeligt at der os er andre danskere herinde:-)

digitalprimate
2006-08-28, 06:10
Jag kan förstå det, men bara lite, för den är mycke like Svenska och Norsk.

Men jag tycke det är bedre in Engelsk - Or something to that effect :)

jimbo110
2006-08-28, 06:24
Funny I'm half swedish;-)

digitalprimate
2006-08-28, 06:39
See, watching those Friends-DVD's with Swedish and Norwegian subtitles really CAN BE useful :D