PDA

View Full Version : I need nano advice...

Yontsey
2006-08-25, 10:49
I can get a brand new 4gig black nano still in box for $160 right now. The only thing holding me back from getting is, is the fact that I was kind of hoping to wait and get a new iPod when they are announced. The price though is quite delicious and I'm torn on what to do. Advice me up!

AWR
2006-08-25, 10:53
Depends whether or not you need/want something that carries around more than 4GB.

If your happy just filling up 4 GB for trucking around (it's a decent amount of music), than the nano is nice and hawt for that; if you want to have all of your music portable at once, wait for the iPod.

Also, consider battery life and shock potential. If those things are quite important, nano. If not, iPod.

Yontsey
2006-08-25, 10:56
Well, I've had a 3G 30gig iPod for about 3 years now and I wanted to get a nano ever since I bought my ex one last year. It would be great for when I take to the gym or go running.

I guess what I'm saying is that I dont need it but rather just kind of a want.

zippy
2006-08-25, 11:25
Off Topic - am I the only one who thinks Apple should get Robin Williams to do some Mork ads for the Nano(o)?

Fahrenheit
2006-08-25, 12:05
I think that Apple needs a proper ad campaign started, with some proper celebs. Im thinking some of the Frat Pack...Steve Carrell, Will Ferrell, Rudd, Vince, Owen etc.

Or Anchorman/Apple ads.

Why don't I stop thinking about fucking anchorman?

hmm....maybe dodgeball. (That did have the Mac from the Mac/PC ads guy in it)

Back on topic: Thats a great deal, but often people think well if the price is good I must buy it! Don't buy it unless you want/need it. When you say it is boxed, does that mean it is sealed? or just with a box? Cos if its new, just pop it on eBay and they make upto 200 a pop.

Engine Joe
2006-08-25, 12:12
They already went the Will Ferrell route. Mac sales figures did nary a blip.

Yontsey
2006-08-25, 12:54
Yeah, it's sealed in the box. I think I've decided to wait for the true iPod Video though.....it has me so intrigued.

torifile
2006-08-25, 13:18
You could buy this nano now and sell it for a very modest loss when the iPod you want comes along. Think about it - how much cheaper could a nano in good condition go? $150? Even $140 and you'd be only out $20.

Yontsey
2007-01-31, 01:59
Well, Im back to the same old question.

Im about to pull the trigger on a (Product)Red 8 gig nano. I really want the rumored "true" iPod, but I figure if I have the nano, I can use it for working out and what not and then when the video iPod comes out, I could just sell it or even just keep it.

Im just kinda thinking out loud. What do you guys think? Good investment?

If I buy it tonight and have it 1 day shipped, do you think Ill get it by friday?

turtle
2007-01-31, 02:01
I think it's worth it. I have a 4GB Red for my work-outs and my 80GB Black for back-up and long road trips.

Nano being flash based makes it great for things I wouldn't want my HDD based one doing, like running.

Yontsey
2007-01-31, 02:02
Kool, what about the shipping? Have any idea?

turtle
2007-01-31, 02:04
Yeah, it should anyway. I can't think of one reason why it wouldn't for that matter.

Yontsey
2007-01-31, 02:05
Yeah, it should anyway. I can't think of one reason why it wouldn't for that matter.

Ok, cuz a big reason I wanna buy it is because I have to go on an 8 hour road trip saturday to Atlantic City and Id like to take it with me on the ride.

turtle
2007-01-31, 02:06
Ok, cuz a big reason I wanna buy it is because I have to go on an 8 hour road trip saturday to Atlantic City and Id like to take it with me on the ride.

That would be a good reason. Is there an Apple store near you? That is another option to make sure you have one by then.

Yontsey
2007-01-31, 02:11
Yeah, but it's like 45 min away normally and with the snow and shitty weather weve been having lately, it takes an hour and a half to get there.

I know bestbuy doesnt have them, would someone like ComUSA have them?

turtle
2007-01-31, 02:13
Yeah, but it's like 45 min away normally and with the snow and shitty weather weve been having lately, it takes an hour and a half to get there.

I know bestbuy doesnt have them, would someone like ComUSA have them?

No, Apple Retail is the only place you can get the Red Nano.

I didn't think about snow and such. You would be better off ordering it with expedited shipping.

Yontsey
2007-01-31, 02:28
Well, I pulled the trigger. Maybe when the weather warms up, Ill get the Nike+ pack and start running more. That may help me finally kick these ciggs then too. The investment is already paying off!!!

turtle
2007-01-31, 02:31
Well, I pulled the trigger. Maybe when the weather warms up, Ill get the Nike+ pack and start running more. That may help me finally kick these ciggs then too. The investment is already paying off!!!

Cool, I hope you get it in time. :)

The Nike+ is a good option to have with it. I figure, it's helped me get out more. We did the AN Challenge that just ended, but no one really ran in it other than torifile and Mudphud. I'm sure we'll do another one after it warms up.

Yontsey
2007-01-31, 02:40
Cool, I hope you get it in time. :)

The Nike+ is a good option to have with it. I figure, it's helped me get out more. We did the AN Challenge that just ended, but no one really ran in it other than torifile and Mudphud. I'm sure we'll do another one after it warms up.

Nice, I may have to get in on that. Itd be a good way to get back into shape plus keep up some kind of competitive side. I use to run a decent 7 mile back before I started smoking a year and a half ago. Now, I prolly couldnt run a mile for shit.

Do any of you download audiobooks from iTunes? How are they? I figured they might not be bad to listen to on my up coming road trips in the next week.

turtle
2007-01-31, 10:56
Nice, I may have to get in on that. Itd be a good way to get back into shape plus keep up some kind of competitive side. I use to run a decent 7 mile back before I started smoking a year and a half ago. Now, I prolly couldnt run a mile for shit.

Do any of you download audiobooks from iTunes? How are they? I figured they might not be bad to listen to on my up coming road trips in the next week.

I have audiobooks, but none from iTunes. I find that I don't listen to them as much as I thought I would. Though it's better than nothing sometimes when the music starts to get "old".

Yontsey
2007-02-01, 12:37
Just got it in the mail about an hour ago and it sure is pretty. It's a lot smaller/thinner than I thought. Kinda mind blowing how it can be that small.

I loaded up a bunch of my fav cds and still had plenty of room left on it so Im pretty happy about that. I dont really need a big iPod until there's a bigger screen for viewing videos. I would think watching videos on a screen that small would hurt your eyes after awhile.

turtle
2007-02-01, 15:27
Just got it in the mail about an hour ago and it sure is pretty. It's a lot smaller/thinner than I thought. Kinda mind blowing how it can be that small.

I loaded up a bunch of my fav cds and still had plenty of room left on it so Im pretty happy about that. I dont really need a big iPod until there's a bigger screen for viewing videos. I would think watching videos on a screen that small would hurt your eyes after awhile.

Great, I'm glad you were able to get it in time.

Yeah, after playing with both, the Nano and iPod, I have the same conclusion that the Nano is really all I need for listening to music on the go. The iPod comes in real handy for viewing movies on my entertainment center through the Apple Dock, but a little to bulky for running around or literally running.

I think if/when a full screen video iPod comes out I will trade up for it. That isn't set in stone though. I don't use this one enough for me to justify the expense for that gadget. My iPod sits on my deck 95% of the time. :\ I actually got it to back up my music collection more than anything after a bout of bad HDD's and the loss of my entire music collection and photos that weren't backed up.

Yontsey
2007-02-12, 11:11
Im thinking about getting an iPod radio transmitter to listen to my music in the car. Does anyone have any recommendations???? I know theyre usually hit or miss.

turtle
2007-02-12, 12:59
Im thinking about getting an iPod radio transmitter to listen to my music in the car. Does anyone have any recommendations???? I know theyre usually hit or miss.

My recommendation is don't. There is no such thing as a good one. You would be better off installing an FM modulator (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fa07h9v7WQb/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=fm+modulator&i=142FMMOD01) for your car, they are only $30 anyway.

Yontsey
2007-02-12, 13:11
Yeah, Ive looked at some of those but I didnt really wanna have to install anything in my new car. Plus, it seems like itd be tough to install in my car.

How exactly are one of these things installed? I have an 06 eclipse, anyone have experience installing shit in one or a similar car?

Anyone ever use the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play Kit (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=4DDF44DB&nplm=TF639LL%2FA)? Seems like you mentioned Turtle but it would like nice and seems like it would easier and more organized to use.

turtle
2007-02-12, 13:19
Yeah, Ive looked at some of those but I didnt really wanna have to install anything in my new car. Plus, it seems like itd be tough to install in my car.

How exactly are one of these things installed? I have an 06 eclipse, anyone have experience installing shit in one or a similar car?

Normally it isn't that bad. You would just pull the stereo straight out and then you can stuff the modulator behind the radio. Look through the Crutchfield link and they'll have installation instructions on the site. They really make it painless. Also, if you're uncomfortable doing it yourself, most radio shops (in my area) only charge $40 for that install. It isn't bad at all.

To answer the other part of your question; I have installed it on three vehicles now because I didn't want to or couldn't replace the stereo. My 2005 Sienna, I had a pro do it at it only cost me $40.

Yontsey
2007-02-12, 13:41
Yeah, I use to be big into working on car audio systems but Ive usually only worked on GMC's/Chevy's and Fords. The Mitsu that I just doesnt seem like it would be easy to work with. I would prolly go to BestBuy and have them do it for me. Im wondering if I have to buy it through them to get them to install it because its $50 more through BestBuy as opposed to Apple.com. I can also get it really cheap on eBay.

turtle
2007-02-12, 13:46
Yeah, I use to be big into working on car audio systems but Ive usually only worked on GMC's/Chevy's and Fords. The Mitsu that I just doesnt seem like it would be easy to work with. I would prolly go to BestBuy and have them do it for me. Im wondering if I have to buy it through them to get them to install it because its $50 more through BestBuy as opposed to Apple.com. I can also get it really cheap on eBay.

Check with Circuit City too. A lot of times Best Buy and Circuit City will give free installation with the purchase. Also, consider one of your local radio shops. For the most part they are really good at what they do.

Yontsey
2007-02-12, 13:49
Actually, I dunno if there's any Circuit City's around me anymore. A lot of them closed down. I will have to check with the free installation though. I tried calling BB earlier and got no answer.

I like doing installs through BB cuz they offer a guarantee on their work, plus it's more of a piece of mind type thing. I dunno, maybe Im just foolish, ha.

turtle
2007-02-12, 14:03
Actually, I dunno if there's any Circuit City's around me anymore. A lot of them closed down. I will have to check with the free installation though. I tried calling BB earlier and got no answer.

I like doing installs through BB cuz they offer a guarantee on their work, plus it's more of a piece of mind type thing. I dunno, maybe Im just foolish, ha.

No, you're not foolish at all. I guess I always try to help the little guy around my area. Plus, there are some major street show stereo shops around here which lends to me being able to really trust their work. If they mess it up, they'll fix it and then some. Their name is on the line and it means something to them. BB and CC are just not the same. But I totally understand you having BB do it if you are familiar with them and like their support.

Yontsey
2007-02-12, 15:00
Damn....to buy it and get it installed through BB, itll be around $300.

A lot more than I anticipated.

turtle
2007-02-12, 15:05
I'd check with some other shops in your area and see what they offer. Also, are you open to replacing your factory stereo? There are some pretty good options out there if you are open to it.

Just for a reference, go to Crutchfield's site and see what options they have for your car. They have a really good set of resources to help you make an informed choice.

Yontsey
2007-02-12, 16:15
Yeah, I like the crutchfield site, but there is 0 chance I am going to replace the headunit because the headunit and the dash flow together and look nice and a different headunit would make it look silly and out of place.

turtle
2007-02-12, 17:04
Yeah, I like the crutchfield site, but there is 0 chance I am going to replace the headunit because the headunit and the dash flow together and look nice and a different headunit would make it look silly and out of place.

This is why I have the FM modulator installed in my Sienna, certainly not a vehicle you'd want to take the stereo out of since it curves with the dash. Plus, I don't want the hassle of after-market fixes for my steering wheel controls.

About Crutchfield, in general I buy most of my car audio from them. They have really great tech support and easy to follow guides. A real gem if you asked me.