PDA

View Full Version : looking for recommended mac mini DVR w HD capabilties

alternapop
2006-08-28, 14:49
if you were to set up your ideal mac mini DVR that could record HD and play 5.1 sound, what devices would you use?

the new el gato hybrid?

i saw that there is a usb device that provides audio out of a mac to 5.1 audio.

what's the best way to deal with an HD cable box and using an IR blaster?

what speaker system would you get? i'm thinking that i'd like to stay away from dedicated computer speakers from brands such as logitech. i just think that i could get a much better sound going with a known higher quality speaker brand.

thanks!

Ryan
2006-08-28, 19:02
All I can advise on is the audio side of things.

First off, the optical out of the Mini is sufficient, IIRC, and can be plugged right into the back of an AVR. As for AVRs, look at Yamaha, Harmon/Kardon and Onkyo, possibly Denon or Pioneer. For speakers, audition, audition, audition. You'll get the best bang of your buck out of internet-direct speaker brands. AV123.com, Axiom Audio and Ascend Acoustics are all good. As for brick-and-mortar retailers, Paradigm, Klipsch and B&W are all good choices.

Of course, that's only the tip of the iceberg as for what available, but I've never heard anyone completely regret buying from any of those brands. For ID dealers, go to their websites and on their message boards you should be able to find another customer who's willing to let you come over to take a listen. Bring a few of your favorite CD's and maybe a DVD. Same goes for retail. For the most part, any system that can handle music can handle movies, with the addition of a good sub. Which brings me to my next point...

Buy an SVS sub. Don't even think about it, it's the right decision.

Whatever you do, don't buy Bose or anything marketed as a home-theater-in-a-box.

alternapop
2006-08-29, 11:14
All I can advise on is the audio side of things.

Buy an SVS sub. Don't even think about it, it's the right decision.

Whatever you do, don't buy Bose or anything marketed as a home-theater-in-a-box.

looking at the SVS website, they offer a complete package. what would you say about this?

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm

initialsBB
2006-08-29, 14:29
Well, they have a frequency response at 68Hz - 20kHz ± 3dB, which is fair, but I'd try and get something under 60Hz at the lower range... nevertheless they have a good, fairly flat frequency response graph. Technically speaking they seem good enough.

But really do try and find somewhere to listen to your favourite CDs, those you know off by heart, before buying. Find that sound "color" that best suits you. Whilst this may not be crucially important for movies, it is much more so for music.

Also try to find proper cabling, and properly grounding your installation. I'm not saying buy out of this world price gold cables or anything, but try and keep the signal as clean as possible between the amp and the speakers.

Ryan
2006-08-30, 19:43
I've heard good things about the SVS system, but I've never heard it in person. If you want to try it out, order it and if you don't like it, send it back, especially if the shipping costs aren't too high.

As for cables, check out Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice.com. Both have a good product at a good price. There's really no need to spent the money on Monster.

edit: Just to clarify, the SVS SBS-01 is not a complete system. It includes all the speakers you need, but it does *not* have a receiver or DVD player, those you still have to supply yourself.

Apple2Mac
2006-09-03, 14:46
I have a mac mini hooked up to a Logitech® Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System. For the price nothing beats it.. I'm rather happy with it, I used to have a separate component system B&W speakers and Yamaha head unit and this system is just as good for movies...