PDA

View Full Version : any internal powerbook drives bigger than 160GB?

malcolm
2006-08-29, 10:13
Hi there,
I'm finally getting around to ordering a bigger hd for my 1.67GHz powerbook - - my bit of googling tells me that the Seagate 160GB internal hd (5400 rpm) is the biggest I can get... but it's been out for about a year, hasn't it? I'm amazed that in a year, something bigger hasn't come along.
Anyone know if there's a 200GB internal drive out there?
Thanks,
mh

chucker
2006-08-29, 10:14
A 200 GB drive is coming up, but since it'll be 4200 RPM, it would be rather slow.

IMNSHO, you should concentrate on getting a fast drive, not a big one.

alcimedes
2006-08-29, 10:25
well, now what they should buy would depend a lot on how they wanted to use it.

If you have 100GB of MP3's and want more, a slower drive is fine.

If you're doing a lot of photoshop work, you're going to want a faster one. Do you want storage space or transfer speed?

malcolm
2006-08-29, 10:39
Hi -
thanks for the replies. I have a lot of jpegs, as well as lots of music, and 20 years of writing projects. I use an external drive (7200rpm) for editing projects, but would like to continue to keep my pix and music on my internal drive. I'd love a 7200rpm internal drive, but that would mean sacrificing space.
I'm just surprised that in the last year, a bigger (5400rpm) internal drive hasn't made it to the market.
Are PC notebooks also stuck at 160GB?
Cheers,
mh

alcimedes
2006-08-29, 10:42
Mac hard drives and PC hard drives are the same parts. So yes. :)

Granted, some PC laptops have more space so they can fit physically larger drives in them, but assuming you're talking hard drives of the dimensions that will fit in a Powerbook, they're the same ones as you'd put in a Windows laptop from Dell etc.