PDA

View Full Version : Thinkpad vs. Macbook Pro

er9d9
2006-08-30, 23:09
Hi Everyone,

I could use some buying advice. I'll be attending business school soon and need to buy a laptop. I've decided that I'm tired of the constant Windows crashing and I was originally considering switching to OSX by buying a Macbook Pro. I would use Parallels and/or Bootcamp for the programs I need Windows for in school (like Crystal Ball). I would go with the Macbook Pro instead of the Macbook because I'm a gamer (or would like to be) and want to have the ability to play the latest games.

My brother is trying to convince me that it's not worth the money to buy a Macbook for a more stable OS. He said Ubuntu Linux is amazingly stable and fast and I can run that on a PC that would be much cheaper. I have a friend who works at IBM who can get me a discount on a Thinkpad and I've read those are quality machines.

So my question is, what about OSX is worth me spending the extra money for the Macbook Pro (besides the widescreen which I love)?

Brave Ulysses
2006-08-30, 23:13
People still consider Linux a viable option?

Brad
2006-08-30, 23:14
Sure, Linux is viable for servers, programmers, and hardcore computer geeks.

For a business school major? Ha!

Wrao
2006-08-30, 23:21
Would that Linux let you run the programs that you need for school that are apparently windows only?

dark54555
2006-08-30, 23:22
I have a Thinkpad, and it is a very well built machine with some really cool features for WinXP (the recovery partition on the HD has saved my butt on a half dozen occasions).

As an MBA student, I can tell you Linux is useless for business school. You'll probably have to have Windows for a few programs, so don't even bother thinking ubuntu is a full time solution.

You can't really go wrong with the Thinkpad or the Macbook Pro. It just comes down to the following:
Are you going to spend most of your time in OSX or in XP?

If you're planning to study operartions primarily, I know our business program requires extensive use of a few windows exclusive software. For something like finance, you'll mostly be in Excel, which is available for OSX. "Business" encompasses a lot of fields, so you might consider what specific field and what that will require in terms of "windows only" programs.

Barto
2006-08-30, 23:22
First decide what OS you want, then the hardware.

If you want to run Ubuntu or Windows XP, a ThinkPad is an excellent choice (as are the HP/Compaq business notebooks).

kgarchar
2006-08-30, 23:24
the answer is yes. compared to OS X, windows is amazingly terrible. after getting used to OS X, i will never go back to windows. i'm not really adding much but seriously, after showing hardcore windows gamers and nerds os x, they agree that it's far superior to windows. also, os x is far more than just a stable OS

and fuck linux

Mugge
2006-08-31, 00:31
Hi er0d9.

Well, as being a business school student myself. I have to state that windows is hard to get by without, Crystal Ball and such are usually Windows only, and the Mac version of programs like SPSS really suck. I used to have a Windows box at home for such apps and gaming. But since I'm mostly law and you probably are more into hardcore economics, you probably also need Windows on the go.

But for general productivity OS X is much better than Windows. It kinda has this "can do" attitude that let's you do your work, not to mention the usual benefits of no virus etc.

I would suggest Parallels as the most productivity friendly solution and Bootcamp if you wish to play games in Windows. And then let your hardware choices be guided by your software needs.

Linux really doesn't have much use in business school.

Chinney
2006-08-31, 09:03
I don't know what programs you would be using, but my guess is that you could work in OS X most of the time...and will prefer it (but what else are you going to hear on a Mac-friendly board :)). And with Bootcamp, you can boot on over to XP for a few Windows-only applications that you may encounter.

I'm not a big fan of the ThinkPads, based on using my wife's. And Linux...?for business school...?

AWR
2006-08-31, 09:15
Sure, Linux is viable for servers, programmers, and hardcore computer geeks.

For a business school major? Ha!

BUSTED!! :lol: ;)

I say get the Mac for your future, not just B School. It's an awesome switch in so many ways.

You know the differences between an Chevy Cavalier and a BMW 330xi? Both OS's (Cars) will get the job done, but how they do it is another matter altogether.

psmith2.0
2006-08-31, 09:22
Well, especially now, more than ever, why not get a Mac? It's basically, at this point, two computers in one...the best of both worlds.

All your fun, creative or day-to-day stuff, you can do with a Mac (and probably quite a bit of school stuff too, I'm sure). Then for those times you absolutely need to run some Windows-only software or whatever, boot into Windows.

A complete no-brainer, IMO. One computer, two platforms (one real one, and one to be used only in a desperate pinch when required by your courses).

;)

Think of what all you'll miss out on going straight Windows/PC (no iLife, etc.), vs. all you'll gain going the Mac route (full-fledged Mac + PC on standby).

A lot more bang for your buck, I think.

I'm not sure about that Linux stuff for what you're doing. Probably more trouble than it's worth, and I don't think it's a sensible match for that (what little I know about it all). Brad's got a point.

sunrain
2006-08-31, 09:50
My wife is in business school for her masters in marketing and uses a Mac. The only problems she's had are fending off the incessant curious questions about her laptop. ;)