PDA

View Full Version : Which RAM for the iMacG5

Nico_from_Paris
2004-09-20, 16:54
Just ordered an iMac G5 20". I am going now to buy an extra 1Go RAM (not from the too expensive Applestore). How to make sure the RAM I buy will work in my iMac ? Do you have any brand names, or websites, or product references ? Many thanks

Luca
2004-09-20, 18:10
One of the most reliable brands is Crucial. Crucial.com has quite a good selection and a system selector so you get exactly what you need.

I'd also say to try NewEgg, but they only deliver to US addresses, so if you're in Paris that won't work. Crucial's good. You can probably get a 1 GB module for about $200US (1/3 of Apple's price).

thegelding
2004-09-20, 19:10
1 gig is 260 at crucial

512 is only 99 bucks

g

here (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2BiMac&mfr=Apple&cat=RAM&model=iMac+%28G5-1.8GHz%2C+20-inch%29&submit=Go)

Canoe112
2004-09-24, 20:44
I have been very happy with Kingston RAM. I run it in two machines.

An additional iBook just had Crucial installed, but I haven't spent enough time on the box to evaluate the memory.

Both Kingston and Crucial have good reputations.

On the other hand, the Apple memory seems cheap right now. The last time I compared it when you bought the Apple RAM with the machine it was below Kingston Ram in price.

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-09-27, 16:55
I ordered 1GB sticks from newegg.com for 160 each (PDP brand). Newegg offers lifetime warranty and they are well regarded by people I know who've made multiple purchases from them so I think they have the best RAM deal in town for 1GB sticks.

When my RAM comes in I'll report back here, if you like.

Canoe112
2004-09-27, 19:30
I ordered 1GB sticks from newegg.com for 160 each (PDP brand). Newegg offers lifetime warranty and they are well regarded by people I know who've made multiple purchases from them so I think they have the best RAM deal in town for 1GB sticks.

When my RAM comes in I'll report back here, if you like.

BassPlayin,

Which model and MHz of Apple computer did you buy the RAM for?

You price is way below what I've been finding.

Let us know if it works well for you.

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-09-27, 19:50
I'm getting PC3200 unbuffered DDR400 (200MHz) non-ECC RAM for my new 20" iMac G5. It's PDP RAM with a lifetime warranty and I'm quite amazed at the price myself. I searched everywhere and couldn't find any place that came near this price. The weird thing is even at newegg.com, 1 GB pairs cost almost $400 per pair.

[Edit]

Here's newegg.com's page for the RAM I ordered. (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-030&depa=1)

Nico_from_Paris
2004-09-28, 14:31
Thanks all for your advice. I have ordered 1Gig through Crucial. 2 days later I received it at home through UPS.
Now, all I need is my new iMac G5 20".
Ordered through online AppleStore on September 20th, shippment date given for October 18th !!! But September 22nd : email from Apple, iMac left factory in China. September 27th : my precious is in Luxembourg. When in Paris ???? I can't wait.

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-09-29, 21:33
I'm getting PC3200 unbuffered DDR400 (200MHz) non-ECC RAM for my new 20" iMac G5. It's PDP RAM with a lifetime warranty and I'm quite amazed at the price myself. I searched everywhere and couldn't find any place that came near this price. The weird thing is even at newegg.com, 1 GB pairs cost almost $400 per pair.

[Edit]

Here's newegg.com's page for the RAM I ordered. (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-030&depa=1)

My RAM came in today and is working great! Right now my uptime's been 4:15 with the new RAM and no hitches at all. The ioreg command output confirms the RAM buss is running at 128 bitness. I opened up about 1GB of RAW files and messing with them was not a problem at all. I opened up every program in my dock (including Maya PLE) without ill effects. I did my best to fill up the entire 2GB of RAM to make sure it was working properly and so far it seems to be good.

Other people on the Apple discussion boards are also reporting the same success with this RAM from Newegg.