PDA

View Full Version : Griffin RoadTrip in-car iPod gizmo...review

psmith2.0
2004-09-20, 19:37
...well, in a casual, badly written kinda way, of course. ;)

First off here it is:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/roadtrip/

As some of you know, I recently won this in a contest. I received it today, via UPS, from Griffin. And I put it through its paces tonight, in my car.

It's a pretty nifty little system, I have to say. Easy as pie to set up. In its most simple, basic form, it's a 4" piece that sticks into your car cigarette lighter and, on the other end, connects to the back of the "cradle" device shown at Griffin's site above. You turn your car radio on, find an used, nothing-but-static FM frequency, then use those arrow buttons on the roadtrip to match the frequency.

Voila. Instant iPod contents, blaring out of your car speakers. That's it.

The device also acts as a charger and there is an extension piece that comes with that you can connect between the part going into the cigarette lighter and the cradle section, adding about 8" to the piece. The connecting points are jointed and have tiny thumbscrews to loose/tighten the joints as you set the angle(s) to your liking.

I kinda chuckled because I had it curved in such a way that it instantly reminded me of that time the Three Stooges were plumbers and built some wild-ass, multi-angle piping system in some rich guy's house.

:D

Another cool thing is, unlike some other FM transmitting devices on the market, this one lets you use the entire FM frequency (I have a buddy who has a Belkin product, and it limits you to four pre-set frequencies, which might, in some cities, be a drawback).

I just tuned my radio way up the dial to 107.3 or something, matched that on the RoadTrip and here comes the music!

Fits the 3G, 4G AND iPod mini models (basically, any docking iPod). There's a little insert sleeve backer you slide into a groove that holds the small iPod mini securely in place. You drop it into the cradle and it plugs into something that looks exactly like the little rectangular socket/plug thing in the iPod dock.

But you couldn't ask for an easier method to get your iPod into your car. I added the extension piece and the whole cradle sits beautifully at tummy/chest level, basically blocking my built-in stereo (a neat little bit of symbolism that wasn't lost on me). The front of the cradle lights up, glowing green. And you still have full-on iPod functionality and control. Just reach up and hit a play list. Until today, I was carrying about 10 iTunes-created custom mix CDs in my car, forever changing disks in and out, losing storage space for them, etc.

Now, in this iPod and RoadTrip combo, I have the contents of all 10 CDs (same playlists/order I'm used to and enjoy), PLUS all 2,800-plus songs in my collection, available, literally, at the tip of my finger as I drive.

I've probably played my last CD in my car, and I sure as hell am done with the radio.

It's a bit pricey, I suppose ($79), but it seems to be a solid, well-made product and I'll use it forever, I'm sure.

Jason from Griffin told me that they're not quite on the streets yet and not "officially" shipping, so he said "congrats...you've got your hands on something very few outside Griffin have". But he sounded like they'd be shipping to the public soon.

So, in a nutshell, anyone looking for an easy, flexible way to do the iPod/car thing, give the RoadTrip a look. In the 8 hours I've had it and monkeyed with it, I've got no complaints whatsoever. With autumn coming on, I'm nuts about aimless weekend driving in the mountains and country...this device is really going to get used, and couldn't have come at a better time!

usurp
2004-09-21, 03:37
yeah but isnt it anoying the thing u attach to the mini. i mean the mini is all nice and small and pretty, i wouldnt like to have an ugly white attachment on its back just so i could use it with the roadtrip.

also compared to the itrip, is the sound quality similar or better?

psmith2.0
2004-09-21, 07:52
That white attachment for the iPod mini is no big deal. It's hardly a permanent, "on there forever" thing. It slides right on and off. :)

I've not used the iTrip, so I don't know. The only other thing I've used was a Belkin transmitter, which a) didn't charge the iPod and b) limited you to only four FM frequency choices.

I'm certain that the fact I got this for free goes a long way towards my appreciation of it. But it's still a solid, easy-to-use device.

usurp
2004-09-21, 07:56
yeah i had the Belkin TuneCast II, like the 1 except u can tune to any frequency u want. it was really crap. after using it for a day i gave it to my sister.

Matsu
2004-09-21, 11:20
How inelegant, that's a total kludge, completely unApple. You should just buy a BMW instead, it's the All-in-one solution! :lol:

psmith2.0
2004-09-21, 11:21
:err:

Wanna make a loan? No? Then shut up. :p

Dead Cillia
2004-09-21, 13:05
i would love something like this if it didnt have the fm transmitter.
i hook up my ipod through line in on my stereo, so the fm transmitter would be useless. but having the cradle part would give me power and hold the ipod in a good location (right next the the stereo)
has anyone seen anyhting like this??

usurp
2004-09-22, 01:05
how high up are your cup holders :)

there are some cool cupholder ipod cradles. i think griffin makes one for like 10$ or something.

Matsu
2004-09-22, 10:26
:err:

Wanna make a loan? No? Then shut up. :p

Isn't this a mac forum, I thought the AIO solution was always better, no matter the premium! :p