PDA

View Full Version : HDTV advice/help

Yontsey
2006-09-10, 15:32
so im thinking about buying a Sony WEGA this week. here (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7932696&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050041&id=1149208957206) is the tv and i was just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with this tv. i saw the 60inch version up at bestbuy and it was beautiful. lemme know what you think or any experiences.

sunrain
2006-09-10, 15:50
Since there is no *real* difference between 1080i60 and 1080p30 (other than a competent deinterlacer), I would make sure that this set is HDMI 1.3 spec so you could potentially enjoy 1080p60. Video games would be the only reason to have a 1080p60 HDTV, after all. Television and movies don't currently benefit from a frame rate higher than 30fps (only 24fps for film).

Robo
2006-09-10, 16:04
I really want an HDTV, but if I buy the $1,299 MacBook I really won't be able to afford it. So I get to decide whether I buy a decent SDTV now or buy the crappiest SDTV now and hope I can get an HDTV soon.

I'd at least like a widescreen 480p set now. I'd at least like to reach DVD-quality. I don't want to hijack the thread, but having two similar threads would be kinda redundant. Any recommendations on the "EDTV"? Or really cheap (but still worthwhile) HDTVs? Best Buy has a 30" widescreen Insignia (?) HDTV for $499, but it's 1080i-only, and I'm not sure about the brand...

I fell in love with the Samsung SlimFit, but it's looking like I'm not going to be able to afford one, unless Apple drops the price on the MacBook or something.

Yontsey
2006-09-11, 02:32
how would i even know if its hdmi 1.3????

no other advice or recommendations????? come on fellas!!

sunrain
2006-09-11, 07:41
Well, ideally it would be inside the user's manual (http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/documents/specifications/KDSA2000.pdf), but I wasn't able to find it. The reason why I was being so specific about HDMI 1.3 is that I'm unaware of a single TV that will be commercially available before next year. You might want to ask around at AVS Forums (http://www.avsforum.com/) and see if they know what's what.

I would just grab a nice 720p set and wait for the world to catch up. 720p renders 60fps (if gaming is your aim) and looks quite beautiful. Have you even looked at a 720p vs. 1080p set side by side? I have seen a 1080p60 set and while it is very cool, I can't say that I think it's worth the bleeding edge prices. YMMV.

Yontsey
2006-09-11, 16:57
any other suggestions? im looking for a tv that can handle 1080p, be between 50-60 inches, and between $2500-3000 (give or take). im going to be using it for mainly dvd and xbox 360, but i will use my dvr cable box (probably get an hdmi cable for it).

my top 3 brands so far were sony, toshiba, and samsung. what im really looking for are personal suggestions with recommendations.

Yontsey
2006-09-12, 21:32
welp......i bought the Sony 55inch HDTV today. it comes on thursday. i got an hdmi for my hd/dvr cable box so well see if that makes a noticable difference and i got some monster audio cables for my surround sound. maybe ill take some pics when i get it all set up. i cant wait to be playing madden for xbox 360 on it in surround sound.......BONER TIME

Swox
2008-05-27, 18:38
I'm looking at HDTVs, and some of them only have VGA inputs. I want to connect my MBP to it, and can obviously use the DVI to VGA adapter, but I was wondering about image quality. Is there a loss in quality doing it this way? Will ones with DVI have better image quality?

almost2mac
2008-05-31, 18:23
I'd at least like a widescreen 480p set now. I'd at least like to reach DVD-quality. I don't want to hijack the thread, but having two similar threads would be kinda redundant. Any recommendations on the "EDTV"? Or really cheap (but still worthwhile) HDTVs? Best Buy has a 30" widescreen Insignia (?) HDTV for $499, but it's 1080i-only, and I'm not sure about the brand....

The rule of thumb I've heard on every tech podcast is not to obsess over 1080p if the screen is under 40". The only time you'll notice is if the screen is massive. 1080i is just fine for a 30" HDTV.

I got a 32" no-frills Vizio from Wallyworld for $600 and I love it. Only thing it lacks is audio out, so I've wired it creatively with a cheap $49 dvd player/surround sound speaker system so I can get surround with movies and with the game console. Obviously I'm not a huge audiophile, but it's plenty decent for a small living room.

Yontsey
2010-03-01, 12:35
I figured I'd bump my own thread. I'm in the market for around a 32" LCD for my bedroom. Wanna get a blu-ray player with it as well. Thinking about a Sony Bravia 1080p 60hz one.

My question is, is 60hz gonna be that noticeable on a 32"? I've always heard that 120 is the way to go for gaming and sports but it's not a huge deal I suppose since I have my main tv in the living room. I'm just looking to get the most bang for my buck.

Has anyone every invested in one of those Insignia brands btw?

Robo
2010-03-01, 14:39
I figured I'd bump my own thread. I'm in the market for around a 32" LCD for my bedroom. Wanna get a blu-ray player with it as well. Thinking about a Sony Bravia 1080p 60hz one.

My question is, is 60hz gonna be that noticeable on a 32"? I've always heard that 120 is the way to go for gaming and sports but it's not a huge deal I suppose since I have my main tv in the living room. I'm just looking to get the most bang for my buck.

Has anyone every invested in one of those Insignia brands btw?

Holy embarrassing threadbump, Batman!

If you're looking for bang for the buck, and this is just a bedroom TV, then I wouldn't worry at all about 120Hz. Just pick up something like the Bravia L Class and enjoy :)

I would avoid Insignia, not least of which because getting one requires shopping at Best Buy. :wtf: