PDA

View Full Version : An ethical question.

Robo
2006-09-12, 14:52
I'm getting my sister an iPod nano for her birthday next month.

I was going to get a 30GB iPod with my Cram & Jam mail-in rebate, but now I'm thinking about getting a new one, since it has better battery life and gapless playback. I might even jump for the 80GB one, since it's "only" $50 more than I was planning on spending (rebate notwithstanding) and it has the best battery life of all. But that's not what this thread is about.

Like I said, I'm getting my sister an iPod nano. My Cram & Jam rebate is now unused.

Would it be wrong (or cheap, or whatever) to give my sister something that was technically free to me? After rebates, that is?

She's not the biggest tech geek, so I don't think she'll care much about having a white iPod nano (although she'll know the colored ones exist, I'm sure). But I don't want to be a cheapass...

I'd probably get her a 4GB one, so I guess technically it'd cost me $20, even after the rebate. But I still don't want to be a cheapass...

I mean, if it was me, I'd know I'd really want the new colored iPod so I could be one of the first kids at school to have the latest and greatest. But I don't know if she's like that.

So, my question. Would it be wrong of me to give her something that cost me nothing or very little? I don't wanna be a cheapass...but I don't want to leave my Cram & Jam rebate unused, either. She'd probably know that I got the rebate on it.

Should I just ask her outright if she'd care? I'm not very subtle about presents - the other day I asked her outright which she'd choose if she could magically have a digital camera or an iPod nano. ;)

2006-09-12, 14:57
I don't understand. You can't use the rebate for one of the new iPod nanos? :confused:

torifile
2006-09-12, 15:04
I don't understand. You can't use the rebate for one of the new iPod nanos? :confused:
Can't use it on the new iPods, I don't think.

Robo: I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that at all.

Robo
2006-09-12, 15:22
I think I'll show her the new iPods and see what she thinks. Right now, she wants a white one, so maybe she'll still want a white one. But if she's like "OMG BLUE!" I'm not going to break her heart.

Windswept
2006-09-12, 15:32
I think I'll show her the new iPods and see what she thinks. Right now, she wants a white one, so maybe she'll still want a white one. But if she's like "OMG BLUE!" I'm not going to break her heart.
I think it's sweet that you even *care* about your sister.

She's lucky to have a brother like you. :)

And yeah, going the cheapest route, in the long-run, is not the best idea. ;)

dmegatool
2006-09-12, 15:41
It's not cheapass cause you could get that Ipod and sell it for some $. So you gift isn't like you get it free. It's more like I spit on xxx$

For the colors, only you know for sure. But in the end, I don't think the color is such a big deal. Come on dude ! You give her a Ipod !

If she absolutly wants another color, she could sell it and buy a new one (with your permission of course :)).

Robo
2006-09-12, 17:12
I asked her. She's flip-flopping between the white and blue ones...

I told her that the white one was cheaper. Then she's like "Oh. Then get white."

I explained that the white one was technically older, and that's why it was cheaper. She doesn't care.

But a third option reared its head: Getting her the outgoing 30GB iPod. That'd be $70 after rebates, but that's actually less than I spent on her gift last year. Hmm...

ghoti
2006-09-12, 19:56
I don't see why the amount you spend is such a big deal. As dmegatool said, it's not really free. And there is no rule that says that you can't spend less this year than last year.

Just get her what she wants, that's what counts. I really don't see the ethical issue here.

digitalprimate
2006-09-12, 20:12
I didn't give my sister anything really valuable last year for her birthday. This year I gave her a GameBoy Micro (her kid had broken her old one). It really fluctuates - no need to feel guilty at all!

Robo
2006-09-12, 21:12
Ordering her a white 4GB iPod nano as soon as I get the money from my iMac.

And the Game Boy micro is awesome. It's not doing too well in the States, though.

psmith2.0
2006-09-12, 21:24
Be sure to get her a pack of the socks, whatever you decide. That completes the gift, and displays an extra level of caring/love. :p

It's cool you'd even think of her to do this, period. All the above options sound fine to me. Her alternative is "not having one". If she's not gracious about it, you can throw something at her. :)

digitalprimate
2006-09-12, 21:30
If she's not gracious about it, you can throw something at her. :)

A broken GameBoy Advance SP, for example...

Seriously - my nephew (her kid) took some gravel pebbles and tried to squash them between the clamshell halves!

Robo
2006-09-12, 21:38
Be sure to get her a pack of the socks, whatever you decide. That completes the gift, and displays an extra level of caring/love. :p

It's cool you'd even think of her to do this, period. All the above options sound fine to me. Her alternative is "not having one". If she's not gracious about it, you can throw something at her. :)I love the socks, too. I'll probably get her the nano tubes, though - they can add a nice bit of color, if she wants, and you can use the iPod through the tube. And maybe I'll be able to find them on clearance, since I imagine they're discontinued.

I'll probably get the iPod socks for my new iPod, though. :D

macleod
2006-09-12, 22:09

Yeah I just used my Cram & Jam to get my sister a new nano. It wasn't a present, just kind of a you should have an iPod thing.

It is really nice of you to think of her! I say get an old iPod with the current cram and jam and sell it on ebay to pay for buying her the iPod of her choice. That is just my opinion though!

Robo
2006-09-12, 22:44
The iPod of her choice seems to be the white iPod nano, though...

macleod
2006-09-12, 22:50
Oh well then that makes it easy!

ironlung
2006-09-12, 23:28
*presses his lab mate's staple "that was easy" button*. The thing used to piss me off but its been growing on me lately. I honestly prefer the older nano look than the new one.

Robo
2006-09-12, 23:31
Wait...your labmate has an Easy Button? Awesome.

RowdyScot
2006-09-13, 00:29
If I had an easy button, I'd have to press it almost every time I saw one of the girls on campus here. No wonder we're known as BGSTDU.

Yeah, I have to say I see no ethical issue. Get her what she wants. You're actually getting her an iPod that you could be getting for yourself or anyone else. That's awesome that you're willing to give her something like that.

sunrain
2006-09-13, 00:36
Um, my wife just used the cram and jam discount on one of the new nanos just announced today.

But to answer your question, no, I don't think that's wrong. People are way too hung up on gifts being some kind of sacrifice.

Robo
2006-09-13, 00:39
Um, my wife just used the cram and jam discount on one of the new nanos just announced today.

But to answer your question, no, I don't think that's wrong. People are way too hung up on gifts being some kind of sacrifice.Wait...really? Schweet.

Robo
2006-09-13, 01:58
:( I just ran over my poor, unemployed college student finances, and it's looking like I won't be able to afford a new iPod for myself right now.

Oh well. I'd rather be absolutely sure she gets it in time for her birthday (I might not get a paycheck from my hopeful new job in time). And when I get the money from the rebates for her iPod and my phone, I'll almost be able to afford the iPod right there. :) (Although hopefully I'll have a job by then...)

bohemianne
2006-09-23, 01:27
Hmmm. I tried to register for my cram & jam rebate tonight (you can only do it after you receive both products). My new Nano (new line, not just new to me) came back as an invalid part #, and I see that someone has posted "fine print" from the Apple site saying that the new Nanos aren't eligible (on another AN forum).

I suppose I'll be calling Apple tomorrow to get things straightened out.

Robo
2006-09-24, 22:38
As pscates suggested, I found the perfect case for her. iKitty. (http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-NN-B-KITTY-875912000802-Nano-iKitty-Black/dp/B000E27NI6/sr=8-1/qid=1159155200/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4734422-2912927?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)

Of course, she wants the black one, and a black iPod nano to match.

Question #1: Does anybody know a place that is selling the 1G iPod nano for less than the price of the 2G iPod nano? You'd figure that they'd be cheaper, but...not really.

Question #2: Would the black 2G nano fit in that case? It's a rubber case, so I worry that the slightly thinner 2G would end up falling out of it. Also, the 2G iPod seems to be slightly wider (because of the curves and all).

torifile
2006-09-24, 22:55
Check target for the 1g nanos. I was there the other day and a few were about $30 off. I don't know if all of them were.

Robo
2006-09-25, 14:59
Check target for the 1g nanos. I was there the other day and a few were about $30 off. I don't know if all of them were.Thanks!

autodata
2006-09-25, 15:27
As pscates suggested, I found the perfect case for her. iKitty. (http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-NN-B-KITTY-875912000802-Nano-iKitty-Black/dp/B000E27NI6/sr=8-1/qid=1159155200/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4734422-2912927?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)
That's very cool. I'm going to get that for my nano.

BTW, it's only $6.24 on the speck site, probably because they are trying to clear out inventory: http://www.speckproducts.com/nano-ikitty.html

Robo
2006-09-25, 22:49
That's very cool. I'm going to get that for my nano.

BTW, it's only $6.24 on the speck site, probably because they are trying to clear out inventory: http://www.speckproducts.com/nano-ikitty.html

OMG thanks. Buying it now! Hopefully I'll get to Target tomorrow.

Robo
2006-09-30, 17:43
The saga is complete!

When I went to the Apple Store to grab my MacBook, my sister came along. She likes Macs (especially GarageBand!) but like any teenage girl she mainly looked at the iPods. She seemed to like the iPod 5.5G the most. It's not exactly a secret that I'm getting her an iPod, so I asked her about it - she insists that she'd be happy with any iPod, but of course she'd say that. I mean, when she's making comments like "It's not that much bigger than the iPod nano...and the screen is bigger than I thought it was!" it's obvious where her heart lies.

I have more money than I thought I would after buying my MacBook, and the iPod did just drop in price. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 30GB iPod (I'm trying to think of what to engrave!) and I'll pre-load iTunes with Pirates of the Carribbean to match the replica of Elizabeth Swan's necklace I also got her (I had to get her something that was a surprise!). I already bought the nano iKitty case, but it was so cheap (thanks to autodata's link!) that I don't mind not using it. (If anybody wants it, PM me.)

I think I've outdone myself this year. :D Now I just have to find a job so I can get my brother something cool for his birthday (December 12!).

Maybe next year, I'll have to get her a Mac mini. *cringes*

Sketch
2006-09-30, 17:55
Robo, it doesn't matter whether it is free or not as long as you really mean what you give without any regrets. Its nice to know that you got her 5.5G iPod. As for the engraving, you can may be engrave her favourite word(s) or a phrase. Just a guess.

Robo
2006-09-30, 18:06
I'm trying to decide if I want it to be a generic birthday greeting or a piratey one (or something else). Idunno, though. I'm cutting it really close - I might have to forgo the engraving and just get it from Amazon to save the money on sales tax. :(

Sketch
2006-09-30, 18:10
well is the sales tax that much? because you might as well want to make it a personal gift by engraving it, which I think it is better. But of course if you don't have the money for it, then go for Amazon. Like I said, gift if a gift as long you mean it.

Robo
2006-09-30, 18:33
It's like $19.

I'll just return the MacBook case I got. I wanted to return it anyway, but I'll just have to wait to get another case. My MacBook will be naked until I get a job. :(

Wyatt
2006-09-30, 18:38
It's like $19.

I'll just return the MacBook case I got. I wanted to return it anyway, but I'll just have to wait to get another case. My MacBook will be naked until I get a job. :(
No big deal, as long as you're not naked. I'm not sure we could handle that. :D

I just keep my MacBook in a backpack (granted, it's made for laptops, but it's a little over-sized for a MacBook), and it does just fine.

Is it 1981?
2006-09-30, 19:00
No big deal, as long as you're not naked.

:eek: GOOD CHRIST! :eek:

:D