PDA

View Full Version : DWL-122 D-Link USB Wireless Adapter Question

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-22, 13:35
Hey all. I recently discovered this USB 802.11b wireless adapter from D-Link and based on the reviews I've read people have mixed feelings, though I bet most are PC users. Check out the adapter here (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175). Does anyone have one or has dealt with one on a Mac? I may get it. It's a steal. $45 for this vs. $150 for a 1st party original Airport Card off of eBay. You choose.

Ebby
2004-09-22, 14:57
It does work for Mac, I have one and the software is really easy to use and install. I only use mine for LAN parties when some friend forgets to bring a CAT-5 cable.

Although I got mine for $5. :D

You get a new icon in the Preference Pane:
http://www.ssba.com/lad/wireless1.jpg

Which turns into this:
http://www.ssba.com/lad/wireless2.jpg

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-22, 16:32
That's awesome!! I don't mind to pay $40-$45 for it. I don't trust used hardware... I'm sorta pushing it because I don't really trust 3rd party devices.. but I want wireless and I ain't paying $150.

Ebby: Does a signal strength icon also appear on the menu bar as it does with a real Airport card?

murbot
2004-09-22, 16:40
There are a few AirPort Cards going for $99 US right now on eBay with free shipping.

The prices peaked a couple of weeks ago (when everyone was in OMG THEY'RE GONE mode) but they're levelling out. Be patient and I'm sure you could get one for under $100.

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-22, 16:43
See.. I don't have $100. heh. I'd be happy with this D-Link for 45. But I'll think about it.

Ebby
2004-09-22, 17:19
Ebby: Does a signal strength icon also appear on the menu bar as it does with a real Airport card?
Yes it does.
http://www.ssba.com/lad/wireless3.jpg

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-22, 18:13
Alright. Cool.

*continues to decide whether he still wants it...*

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-09-22, 20:46
I saw Airport cards at smalldog.com but I think they were $119. Just an FYI, I don't work for them or anything.

SKMDC
2004-09-22, 22:13
i have one and i wish i didn't, it caused a bunch of trouble, kernel panics maybe, i really don't remember, but i got so pissed with it, i pitched it in a box and have never used it again.
i was disappointed because their bluetooth adapter works so well for me.

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-23, 08:02
i have one and i wish i didn't, it caused a bunch of trouble, kernel panics maybe, i really don't remember, but i got so pissed with it, i pitched it in a box and have never used it again.
i was disappointed because their bluetooth adapter works so well for me.
Maybe those KPs occured because you didn't have the latest driver software. Get version 1.4.7 from MacUpdate (and VersionTracker I'm sure also has it by now) and you should be ok. I've heard that versions prior to this one caused that to happen.

SKMDC
2004-09-23, 09:22
i'll check it out, thanks man.

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-23, 09:46
i'll check it out, thanks man.
NP. I'm really considering getting one.

adam_tj
2004-10-12, 22:29
I have one. Internet dropped every other minute, and signal was weak. I had the newest drivers, and I still got lockups. DO NOT BUY THIS!

winwintoo
2004-10-13, 07:23
I fought with one of these most of last week trying to get my sister's iMac connected wirelessly.

Some lessons learned:

1. DO NOT plug it in to a USB hub - it will fry the hub. The DWL-122 creates a lot of heat and USB hubs are not smart enough to cut out when they get hot. DWL-122: $79 CAD + USB hub $39 CAD = $118 CAD vs Airport card $119 CAD = duh!

2. DO NOT use the wimpy little USB cable that comes with it - see #1 above.

3. DO NOT leave it plugged in while your computer goes to sleep. For some reason, sleep and this thing don't mix. After sleep it's like starting over.

4. The only way we could - sort of - get it to work was to plug it directly into the iMac (not easy since it's really too big to fit comfortably in that tight space) and unplug it whenever the computer is not in use.

I first installed it on my PowerBook and it seemed to work fine, but then on the iMac, it wouldn't work at all so I emailed D-Link, and they wrote back almost immediately that it must be defective and to return it to the store - I wish that I had listened to them but at the time there was no alternative.

I've since discovered that Airport cards are still available so will be taking that route.

Margaret