PDA

View Full Version : Going mobile, need help staying connected

turtle
2006-09-19, 13:52
With scratt taking over Thailand I'm getting out on the road. ;)

Well actually it is because we had to abbreviate our real Educational Excursion and my wife and I both realized we want to live mobile. So we are going to hit the road. We are getting rid of most of our crap and will be getting a nice RV. This will be our home as we travel the country and even a little in Canada, at least through to Alaska and back. Anyway, the details of that aren't really as relevant to the purchasing advice I need. So here is the situation as I see it now:

Ok, so here is my current network setup.
http://kellyent.dyndns.org:8080/an/network.jpg
Linksys NLSU2, 16 port switch, WRT54G with High gain antennas, PSUS4 print server, PAP Vonage phone adapter and RV042 VPN/Firewall. (Cable modem will come thing us though not expected to be used at all.)

My networking goal/dream:
I'll want my computer systems in the RV to have access to an internal WiFi signal so my wife's MB can wirelessly connect with the iMac in the back and other network devices, etc. Then I will look to have a wired network put it, as long as it doesn't void my warranty on the RV. My plan is to have the 24" iMac VESA mounted to the wall where the LCD TV is now in the back bedroom. My wife will have her MB where ever. My daughter will have my old Gateway laptop for school so it isn't going to have internet access, she can get with one of us for that until she gain responsibility there. Looking to put a Mac Pro in the main living area and replace the LCD TV up front with a ACD or Dell of comparable size, though I am thinking 30" ACD. At any time while a cell signal is present all of my computers can connect to the net through one shared connection, less the Gateway. When a external hotspot is available (free and open) then my network can tap into the hotspot for all systems. I don't mind manually changing the configuration to make this happen, but would like to have my cake and eat it too.

I'm open to buying new gear, but this is what I have to start with. While going down the road I won't expect to be getting a WiFi signal. I will have two Cingular phones with unlimited internet usage (PDA plans) to connect with through BT, but that is only through one computer at a time that I know of. I would like to be able to connect on all at once. I also have a Verizon Wireless line that I can use to connect to the net with, though I only know how to connect it through XP (Motorola V710).

So how would you configure this set up? The networking aspect is the big one for me. I'm using 15MBs/5MBs cable internet now and I know I won't get that normally, but the closer the better. Also, security is a big deal for me. While everything is hackable, the harder the better.

I don't mind consolidating gear either. I looked at the Airport Express and it seems like it would be great for in the RV, added bonus being the print server and audio ports to the RV stereo system. Is that my best choice though? I know little about them other than the write up on Apple.com. My thought would be AE for inside with my WRT54G for the hotspots, I just don't know how to make that happen. I'm also thinking a "can" antenna might help with hotspot ranges, but haven't heard much about them either. I'm expecting to have a minimum of 8 devices that need ethernet connectivity: WRT54G, NLSUS, AE??, iMac, Mac Pro, MB (for data transfers), Gateway laptop (Data transfers), and my Vonage adapter. Other devices may follow and the Mac Pro won't be right away.

Thanks for your help and feel free to think outside the box. There is a budget here, but since it will be a long term thing I need the gear to last so quality has to be high.

TIA

turtle
2006-09-19, 20:58
I know it was a long post, but does anyone have input for me?

pkatzman
2006-09-19, 22:25
I would get a Cingular phone with HSDPA (though you most likely won't be traveling entirely thought areas covered.) What I would do would be to connect the phone to one computer - maybe the Mac Pro - by USB rather than Bluetooth, and set up interenet sharing to share the connection over Ethernet. Then connect an ethernet cable between the WAN port on the wireless router and the computer. Then it'll share it over Wifi to the other computers you have.

This is reasonably secure, depending on the security options on your router (use WPA2 if you can.) Beyond that, keep the rest of your setup, as you know it works at all and with all the other components. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

turtle
2006-09-20, 13:36
I would get a Cingular phone with HSDPA (though you most likely won't be traveling entirely thought areas covered.) What I would do would be to connect the phone to one computer - maybe the Mac Pro - by USB rather than Bluetooth, and set up interenet sharing to share the connection over Ethernet. Then connect an ethernet cable between the WAN port on the wireless router and the computer. Then it'll share it over Wifi to the other computers you have.

This is reasonably secure, depending on the security options on your router (use WPA2 if you can.) Beyond that, keep the rest of your setup, as you know it works at all and with all the other components. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I"m ok with getting a next gen phone just for the speeds. I actually heard the EDGE is even faster on those phones too. The USB connection to the phone might be difficult since right now I'm running 8125's, Windows Mobile 5. No Mac support for them other than hack BT. A new HSDPA phone seems it could solve this issue though.

So with this USB method I can share my internet connection through the one tethered system through out my network? As well as transmit it via my WRT54G for use in my RV?

Then how would I tap into the hotspots with the WiFi free and open? (Seems most RV sites have WiFi now much like hotels.

maroulis
2006-09-20, 16:22
what is ideal is a junxion box which is in essence a PCMCIA enabled WiFi router... that way you buy Cingular's HSDPA data card and plug it in the back of the Junxion and voila everything is WiFi ;)

Ryan
2006-09-20, 17:05
Then how would I tap into the hotspots with the WiFi free and open? (Seems most RV sites have WiFi now much like hotels.Yes, most have hotspots.

But.

A lot of them don't work well. I've found they often install one antenna in the main office and call it done, making it next-to-impossible to actually pick up a signal from your spot. An antenna might help with this. Also, most aren't free I've found. KOA's often use a company called Hotspotzz (I hate them) and I'm never able to get an IP address even when I do have a signal. I even tried calling their support hotline who told me to load their website, even *after* I told him I wasn't getting an IP.

turtle
2006-09-20, 22:32
what is ideal is a junxion box which is in essence a PCMCIA enabled WiFi router... that way you buy Cingular's HSDPA data card and plug it in the back of the Junxion and voila everything is WiFi ;)

Sounds good other than I would then need to buy a card and a new "line" of service. I thought about this route because I would be able to use Verizon's EDVO or Cingular's EDGE/HSDPA, but then it's yet more out of pocket that I would rather not go for.

Yes, most have hotspots.

But.

A lot of them don't work well. I've found they often install one antenna in the main office and call it done, making it next-to-impossible to actually pick up a signal from your spot. An antenna might help with this. Also, most aren't free I've found. KOA's often use a company called Hotspotzz (I hate them) and I'm never able to get an IP address even when I do have a signal. I even tried calling their support hotline who told me to load their website, even *after* I told him I wasn't getting an IP.

When you say an antenna might help are you talking about a directional or omnidirectional? I've never used a directional (or "can") so I don't know how well it would work with my WRT54G. I'm also not to familiar with KOA, but it seems to be pretty commercialized. There is one near where we live now but they are a tourist trap more than anything. Then again it is Virginia Beach. ;)

turtle
2006-09-22, 20:21
Well, it seems Mac OS X is on the RADAR finally. Here's (http://www.sierrawireless.com/product/usbmodem.aspx) a USB HSDPA modem for Mac. Looks like it'll be run on Cingular's system off the start. This would enable me to share my internet connection from one of the Mac's while it is connected. This however looks also like it'll mean another service contract, unless I can use a SIM out of one of my phones with the PDA plan on it, doubtful though.

Mugge
2006-09-23, 00:27
Plug one of these babies (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/22/nova_media_mac_super_3g_modem/) into your iMac and have it share it's internet connection over Airport with your wife's MacBook.

Then you should be free to go wherever you please in your glorified caravan.

I don't know about all your other network gear, do you *really* need all those boxes?

turtle
2006-09-23, 00:40
...snip...
I don't know about all your other network gear, do you *really* need all those boxes?

No I don't really need all of them on the road. Here at home, yes. That's why I'm looking to minimize for the RV. I don't want the set up on the road. I won't need the cable modem while I'm gone. I think I can get rid of the Linksys print server by getting the Airport Express for my Canon printer. The NAS will stay for now since I'm not going to expect all computers to stay on all the time and I might want to access some data without needing to turn on a system. The VPN/Firewall should be going with the cable modem since I won't be VPN connecting to my RV. WRT54G, AE should be able to take it's place, other than seems the WRT54G will have better reception at some of the hotspots I might hit. This would make the WRT54G a keeper too. I doubt I'll need the 16 port switch, though I will likely get a Gigabit switch with fewer ports.

Then again, maybe something like what you mentioned would be all I need. An external FW drive to the iMac, a USB HSDPA modem...

The one you liked to said it would support USA's HSDPA though, was that due to lack of infrastructure here as of yet?

The point of this thread is actually to help me make the best choice for what I *really* need. I didn't even know things like HSDPA modems existed.

Mugge
2006-09-23, 09:53
(...)

The point of this thread is actually to help me make the best choice for what I *really* need. I didn't even know things like HSDPA modems existed.

Well, I thought an internet connection would figure on that list.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, if you go with an iMac-centric solution, then you might also want an UPS for it. Sorry for adding another thing to your list.

:D

turtle
2006-09-23, 10:27
Well, I thought an internet connection would figure on that list.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, if you go with an iMac-centric solution, then you might also want an UPS for it. Sorry for adding another thing to your list.

:D

It is one of my top priorities actually. And yes, I didn't mention the UPS, but it too is on my list.

See, if I can condense the number of network devices and such then I'll be happy. The reason I have to set up I do now is I built it over time. It started with the WRT54G and cable modem, then I needed a print server, then I added more computers and needed a bigger switch, then I needed network storage, etc...

So, while mine might not be the most efficient, it is what I have for now. I would like to condense though, the USB HSDPA modem is a great start for mobile connectivity, though I am trying to avoid another service contract. I might just get a HSDPA phone and USB connect it instead.

Mugge
2006-09-23, 10:55
(...)

See, if I can condense the number of network devices and such then I'll be happy. The reason I have to set up I do now is I built it over time. It started with the WRT54G and cable modem, then I needed a print server, then I added more computers and needed a bigger switch, then I needed network storage, etc...

(...)

I once had latency problems when linking my AP Express to my old router. Do I even dare to ask how the latency is on your current setup?

turtle
2006-09-23, 11:07
I once had latency problems when linking my AP Express to my old router. Do I even dare to ask how the latency is on your current setup?

I haven't tested it, thought it isn't noticeable to me in normal usage. I don't have them daisy-chained. The VPN/Firewall connects the modem to the switch, and my Vonage boxes (I haven't taken the old one out yet). So everything else is connected to the 16 port switch. The only traffic normally seen on the network is the Mini to the web. The WRT54G only gets used when my wife is mobile and there is only basic web traffic then. I wire connect it when I need to transfer stuff.

Point me to a test and I'll let you know my latency.

Mugge
2006-09-23, 11:12
I didn't do any hard numbers, but my printserver on the wired router was significantly slower when the AP Express was between it and my iBook.

turtle
2006-09-23, 11:16
I didn't do any hard numbers, but my printserver on the wired router was significantly slower when the AP Express was between it and my iBook.

Well, the print server is obnoxiously slow actually. I think it has more to do with the hacks involved to get a Linksys print server working on a Mac though. It is connected so the only thing between it and the MB AP card is the WRT54G and the switch. We just know when we go to print that it'll take a while from the time it spools on the MB before it spits out pages. When printing wired, we print through the Mini to the Canon connected to it via USB. Minimal delay there.

Ryan
2006-09-23, 12:05
When you say an antenna might help are you talking about a directional or omnidirectional? I've never used a directional (or "can") so I don't know how well it would work with my WRT54G. I'm also not to familiar with KOA, but it seems to be pretty commercialized. There is one near where we live now but they are a tourist trap more than anything. Then again it is Virginia Beach. ;)Yeah, KOAs are tourist traps, but some of them are actually fairly nice (like the one in West Yellowstone :eek:). Some are crap. However, most are in good locations and you can almost always find one wherever you want to go. Even if you don't like them, I would grab a directory of locations, just in case.

I haven't ever tried an antenna, since I'm using the internal Airport card in my PowerBook, but it seems directional would be the best option, so you could try and aim it directly at their WiFi router.