PDA

View Full Version : Finally Made a Purchase Decision - 24" iMac :D

MBHockey
2006-09-23, 13:43
I've been doing some very casual research for the past 4-5 months on which Mac should be my next computer.

I was all set on a Merom MBP for a while. When they kept getting delayed, I started to wonder, do i really need a laptop? Over the course of a month, i counted the times i took my 3+ year old PowerBook to campus with me (i live off campus). I hadn't once. I realized it'd be silly for me to pay for the portability again, when i could get a souped up iMac (with a 2 foot screen!) for around the same money.

I finally got the balls to do it today. I ordered a 24" iMac from Apple.com I got the education discount since i'm a college student, and it turned out to be pretty affordable for what i got.

Here are the specs:

Product Name: iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
Options:
065-6792 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
065-6474 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
065-6801 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
065-6447 500GB Serial ATA Drive
065-6439 SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
065-6433 Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
065-6432 Accessory kit

The extra ram wasn't too bad from Apple, and so i opted to get the 2 gigs from them. This was mainly because i had initially bought the base amount of ram with my current TiBook and then upgraded it later, but i had a problem where i had to return the ram i received to crucial three times before i got working modules (quite a hassle, but it has worked flawlessly since the third one). As for the HD, i knew i wanted a lot of space (i currently have a 60 GB HD and have nowhere near the room i need for my CAD projects and DVD collection i am most likely going to rip to my new computer) and i thought about upgrading it later too...but I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking the imac apart to get to the HD bay.

I don't know what the "accessory kit" is.

I'm confused about the shipping though. It said estimated date of arrival would be Oct. 6th. When i ordered it, it said it would ship in 1-2 business days (that's from the confirmation email) and with standard 5 day shipping, i don't know how it gets to Oct 6th.

Doesn't really matter, but i can't wait to get it!

Any recommendations on a keyboard though? I don't really like Apple's keyboards at all.

Thanks! :D

Fahrenheit
2006-09-23, 13:47
Congratulations!

Robo
2006-09-23, 13:55
Awesome. As for a keyboard, many people here swear by Macally's iceKey.

usurp
2006-09-23, 14:01
i want a 24inch imac :(

Yontsey
2006-09-23, 14:12
I jealous as all hell!!!! I wish I didnt need the portability so I could get an iMac....:o

MBHockey
2006-09-23, 14:17
It was a lengthy decision...but hopefully i made the right one!

Let's just cross our fingers for no dead pixels! heh

PB PM
2006-09-23, 14:55
Awesome. As for a keyboard, many people here swear by Macally's iceKey.
I'm one of them, its a easy to use keyboard, and its white, which makes it great for an iMac!

MBHockey
2006-09-23, 16:36
Yeah it looks pretty sweet. I think i'll end up ordering one, since i am so used to the scissor keys on my titanium powerbook's keyboard.

MBHockey
2006-09-23, 17:17
I just checked out Crucial, just for the hell of it, to see how much i got burned by buying Apple ram

But, for a 1GB module from Crucial, it's $190 as opposed to $158 from Apple!

I guess gone are the days when Apple charged an arm and a leg for some extra ram? pretty cool!

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2BiMac&mfr=Apple&tabid=AM&model=iMac+2.16GHz+Intel+Core+2+Duo+%2824-inch%29&submit=Go

bohemianne
2006-09-23, 18:44
Congrats, MBHockey!

I've been doing similar research and when I first saw the new 24", the words "I want it NOW" involuntarily escaped my mouth... and I was at work.

I ended up with a 20" but the point of this post is... it came a week earlier than the anticipated delivery date, so maybe you'll have the same good fortune.

Is it 1981?
2006-09-23, 18:53
But, for a 1GB module from Crucial, it's $190 as opposed to $158 from Apple!

I guess gone are the days when Apple charged an arm and a leg for some extra ram? pretty cool![/url]

I first started hearing that buying RAM was cheaper elsewhere as opposed to Apple back in '03 (I bought my Mac in '02), and while I'll admit I don't regularly compare the prices between Apple and third parties; I will say that everytime have checked over the past three years, buying the RAM from Apple has been significantly cheaper.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. :D

MBHockey
2006-09-23, 19:45
Yeah...interesting stuff :)

bohemianne, let's hope so! ;)

MBHockey
2006-09-26, 06:25
Wohoo! Shipped!!

Does Fedex do estimated delivery date (like UPS?) Because there isn't one when i track it.

Maybe it's just not available yet from the site.

Except, why is it shipping from Shanghai, CN? That means China right? I'm in NY!

Sketch
2006-09-26, 06:54
once you get your hands on it, do post your computer setup for us. Yeah, I wish I also didn't have this portability issue. Never had an iMac, although had a PB and now a MBP. 24"- damn!

Wyatt
2006-09-26, 06:59

Definitely not. You can get 1GB from NewEgg.com for around $100, rather than the $150 from Apple.

Yonzie
2006-09-26, 07:07
Except, why is it shipping from Shanghai, CN? That means China right? I'm in NY!
Naah, can't be China, must be one of these:
Shanghai, Connecticut
Shanghai, Canada

http://www.potionfactory.com/blog/2006/01/26/shanghai-connecticut/

MBHockey
2006-09-26, 11:10
Ct is the abbreviation for Connecticut, not CN

I've read other posts on the internet saying they really do ship from China.

Wyatt
2006-09-26, 11:19
Ct is the abbreviation for Connecticut, not CN

I've read other posts on the internet saying they really do ship from China.
Hey, Hockey, did you hear that? It's the sound of Yontzie going completely over your head. :D

MBHockey
2006-09-26, 11:20
haha...the only reason i took him seriously was there was a big debate on another forum about it...and i wasn't sure if he was being serious or not

when are we going to get some fonts that convey sarcasm...come on Apple!

zippy
2006-09-26, 13:24
MBHockey - I made the exact same decision as you. If they had not released the 24" iMac, I'd still be waiting for the Merom MBP. My 24 is a thing of beauty, with no problems to report (except for the mighty mouse - my pointer seems to like to take off on it's own and go shooting across the screen). I'll probably end up with a blue tooth keyboard and mouse down the road, but I'm content for now.

I'm still hoping they modify the MBPs before too long, hopefully to include a mag-latch. I'd still like to pick one up for travelling, and to use downstairs - then I could drop the PC. Working in my favor is the fact that the wife is more impressed with the iMac than she thought she would be.

Oh, and after a day or so, Fed Ex will have an estimated ship date and time on the tracking site. They were spot on in my case.

MBHockey
2006-09-26, 13:33
Sweet. I have heard the only complaints are dead pixels (always a concern though) and humming when you take the brightness off anything but the maximum. Do you see that on yours?

zippy
2006-09-26, 14:03
I haven't noticed any dead pixels, and I haven't changed the brightness from what it was set to out of the box - didn't need to. And it's dead silent as far as I can tell. The only thing I've heard is the Superdrive spinning up when a disc is inserted = normal.

I hope you are as happy as I am with mine, because I really don't think I could be happier.

I have a theory on this subject: (not scientific)
I would venture a guess that a fair number of people who jump on the latest greatest, only to return it after a day or two because of some problem, are actually just suffering from "buyer's remorse". The "problems" they encounter often seem kind of nit-picky to me, and sometimes even quasi-imaginary. It's almost like they regret making the purchase, due to financial or other reasons, so they find some reason to dump the unit and convince themselves that it is not worth buying.

This especially seems true for someone who refuses to try another unit to see if the problem still occurs. Often, it seems they end up not replacing it with anything, in which case, it would seem that they didn't need anything to begin with. Some people just get a "high" from spending, but when the hangover hits the next day, it's back to the return department.

I'm not speaking specifically to Macs or computers here either, but to purchasing in general.

/end mental speculation

MBHockey
2006-09-26, 14:04
Interesting. Well i'm definitely not one of those people, so hopefully i won't find those problems! I buy a new gadget about every ~4 years or so.

Brave Ulysses
2006-09-26, 15:20
I first started hearing that buying RAM was cheaper elsewhere as opposed to Apple back in '03 (I bought my Mac in '02), and while I'll admit I don't regularly compare the prices between Apple and third parties; I will say that everytime have checked over the past three years, buying the RAM from Apple has been significantly cheaper.

You aren't.

I just got a 1GB stick from NewEgg for $94 even

cozmo
2006-09-26, 15:22
I think I have made my decision on the 20" iMac. This week I hope to order it. Besides iWork, what other must get software do I need? Do I need the latest Toast Titanium 7 or 8, what version are they on?

Brave Ulysses
2006-09-26, 15:56
I think I have made my decision on the 20" iMac. This week I hope to order it. Besides iWork, what other must get software do I need? Do I need the latest Toast Titanium 7 or 8, what version are they on?

Technically you don't need it but personally I am very happy to own Toast. It makes burning a lot easier most of the time than Apple's OS burning features

cozmo
2006-09-26, 15:58
I think I will hold off then, I might get it later when I become more familiar with OS X.

MacConvert
2006-09-27, 08:05
I've had my 24" iMac for a week and a half, and I couldn't be happier.

It is totally silent. I do notice a humming noise when the screen dims itself. I am rarely near the computer when the screens dims, so I am not concerned. There is no noise at all when the screen shuts off.

Right now I am running the stock 1GB RAM. I will move up to 3GB when the 2GB stick prices fall. Do we have any more news on if we can install twin 2GB stick for 4GB total?

One final question. Will older versions of Toast run on the Intel processors? I have yet to find my disc, but I am happy enough with the older software to just keep it.

Brave Ulysses
2006-09-27, 09:03
Right now I am running the stock 1GB RAM. I will move up to 3GB when the 2GB stick prices fall. Do we have any more news on if we can install twin 2GB stick for 4GB total?

One final question. Will older versions of Toast run on the Intel processors? I have yet to find my disc, but I am happy enough with the older software to just keep it.

1. 3GB max.
2. Older versions of toast should work.

Robo
2006-09-27, 20:28
I was at the Apple store buying my MacBook and I saw the 24" iMac for the first time. Holy crap that thing is HUGE! That's bigger than my TV! Enjoy the view. ;)

Wyatt
2006-09-27, 20:51
I was at the Apple store buying my MacBook and I saw the 24" iMac for the first time. Holy crap that thing is HUGE! That's bigger than my TV! Enjoy the view. ;)
Wow... it's bigger than my TV, too. I never thought about it that way. Damn.

MBHockey
2006-09-27, 23:52
Sweet. :D

It should be here friday the 29th by 10:30 AM...i will put up some pics!

(let's pray to the pixel gods that i have no dead pixels! PLEASE!!)

almost2mac
2006-09-28, 02:22
I haven't noticed any dead pixels, and I haven't changed the brightness from what it was set to out of the box - didn't need to. And it's dead silent as far as I can tell. The only thing I've heard is the Superdrive spinning up when a disc is inserted = normal.

I have the older version 17" iMac and I swear to god the screen was just *fiercely* bright as shipped. I could see that being a good thing for some people but man oh man. I had to use the color configuration and cool down some of the color. Purple on one of the apple desktops was just painful after a while! Now I use the black and white backgrounds. I use computers all day at work and home.

I love the iMac for its silence as well. I wish I could place them all over the house like the Jetsons...on the coffeetable displaying news and photos, in the Kitchen with eyeTV and iTunes to play in the background while doing chores. Perhaps that's something we haven't thought about for the upcoming iTV...we've been thinking about putting it on just a central big screen, but I almost would find it more useful on a smaller TV that's not hooked up to cable in a room without a stereo or computer. I hope they put the news headline screensavers on it.

Although...burning a disk is a little disconcerting. I've never heard anything like that on a tower PC...I guess because there's less bracing the madly-spinning disk behind that corner of the screen and it builds up resonant vibrations.

MBHockey
2006-09-28, 12:57
Got it today! Even a day earlier than FedEx's delivery estimate!

First off...this thing is gargantuan. Coming from a 15" PowerBook, I really appreciate the size of this screen. There are no dead pixels, there is no noise when i turn the brightness down. It is dead silent. It is MUCH quieter than my 3.5 year old TiBook sitting right next to it. Ridiculously quiet.

It's also ridiculously bright. Everything looks simply gorgeous. I will put up pictures later, once my digital camera is charged...but man this thing is great.

I was very worried about finding dead pixels, i'm so happy there aren't any!

cozmo
2006-09-28, 13:10
I just ordered my 20' iMac. This will be my first Mac. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. It will be exciting to learn a new operating system. Wish me luck.

Mugge
2006-09-28, 13:16
I just ordered my 20' iMac. This will be my first Mac. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. It will be exciting to learn a new operating system. Wish me luck.

Damn that annoying waiting time! My first iBook took a roundtrip back to Taiwan thanks to TNT silliness, it almost caused me to kille the delivery guy.

Best of luck!

:)

cozmo
2006-09-28, 13:42
October 5, is the day. The dawn of a new future. That is what I am coining it as.

zippy
2006-09-29, 09:23
Got it today! Even a day earlier than FedEx's delivery estimate!

First off...this thing is gargantuan. Coming from a 15" PowerBook, I really appreciate the size of this screen. There are no dead pixels, there is no noise when i turn the brightness down. It is dead silent. It is MUCH quieter than my 3.5 year old TiBook sitting right next to it. Ridiculously quiet.

It's also ridiculously bright. Everything looks simply gorgeous. I will put up pictures later, once my digital camera is charged...but man this thing is great.

I was very worried about finding dead pixels, i'm so happy there aren't any!

Glad to hear that. Enjoy!

MBHockey
2006-09-29, 09:50
And here are the pics!

http://web.mac.com/mbh0ckey/iWeb/Site/Photos.html

Yontsey
2006-09-29, 09:56
oooooh boi, that thing sure is sexy

zippy
2006-09-29, 10:38
When I first checked out your thumbnails, I thought the Powerbook was OFF. Then I saw your note that it was at full brightness, compared to 3/4 for the iMac.:eek: Maybe I can keep my tan through the Winter.

Fahrenheit
2006-09-29, 10:46
Pfft that things tiny. :p

It may not to totally due to the brightness, laptops screens never photograph well. But that is damn bright!

cozmo
2006-09-29, 11:27
That looks good, I think I might be more excited now.

steve77uk
2006-10-01, 14:02
It has finally arrived!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58982759@N00/

Sketch
2006-10-01, 14:20
friggin' awesome

BenRoethig
2006-10-01, 15:27
Definitely not. You can get 1GB from NewEgg.com for around $100, rather than the $150 from Apple.

Doesn't quite work that way with the current iMac. Since its dual channel and has two SO-DIMM slots, you have to replace both SO-DIMMs with a matched set. The RAM price might be higher from Apple, but unless you find a buyer for the RAM, it's going to be cheaper to just pay Apple $175.

zippy
2006-10-02, 08:52
Doesn't quite work that way with the current iMac. Since its dual channel and has two SO-DIMM slots, you have to replace both SO-DIMMs with a matched set. The RAM price might be higher from Apple, but unless you find a buyer for the RAM, it's going to be cheaper to just pay Apple $175. And 512 MB SODIMMS are not exactly a great seller.

cozmo
2006-10-02, 10:06
I checked the tracking, it will be here today. 3 days earlier than expected. That is awesome.

Yontsey
2006-10-02, 10:09
i want one sooooooo bad.....

MBHockey
2006-10-02, 10:22
I haven't stopped using my new iMac in 4 straight days!
:lol:

cozmo
2006-10-02, 14:18
Its here, and I am work staring at it. I so want to go home and hook the damn thing up. This is killing me.

What should I do first? After I turn it on? Updates, then settings. I am not sure I know how to change the settings, I am such a newbie, since this my first mac, I might be posting a lot tonight.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-02, 14:20
Its here, and I am work staring at it. I so want to go home and hook the damn thing up. This is killing me.

What should I do first? After I turn it on? Updates, then settings. I am not sure I know how to change the settings, I am such a newbie, since this my first mac, I might be posting a lot tonight.
Hehe, congratulations!

Yeh,

Apple update.
Then adium - for IM

freemacware.com has lots of nice free apps to see. :)

MBHockey
2006-10-02, 14:20
Yeah apply all the updates...Software Update will actually pop up for you just let it do its thing.

revolution
2006-10-02, 14:27
MBHockey: If you are still looking for a keyboard etc, I suggest this logitech cordless desktop. I have it on my 20" iMac and love it.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=11420

SledgeHammer
2006-10-02, 15:03
Glad to hear the good reviews. I plan on purchasing an iMac (likely the 24") in the near future.

soma
2006-10-03, 03:52
The shop I purchased my iMac through (grabbed me a good bundled deal) advised me that the machine turned up yesterday...they're even going to set the machine up (and FCP et al) for me so when it's delivered I can jump straight in to the world of mac...which will be a little odd at first seeing as though I've been a life long PC'er.
Should be here tomorrow or thursday latest. I'll post it up when it arrives.

cozmo
2006-10-03, 13:59
So, I get my new 20" iMac, all I can say is wow! This thing rocks. I am learning my way around somewhat slowly, I have trouble installing apps that I downloaded, I click on the file and it says that it can not opent that file. Any ideas here?

Sketch
2006-10-03, 14:07
I have trouble installing apps that I downloaded, I click on the file and it says that it can not opent that file. Any ideas here?

cozmo, post a clear description of your problem in Genius Bar where you will have a better chance of getting an answer.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-03, 14:27
So, I get my new 20" iMac, all I can say is wow! This thing rocks. I am learning my way around somewhat slowly, I have trouble installing apps that I downloaded, I click on the file and it says that it can not opent that file. Any ideas here?
That could either be:

You are downloading windows programmes (.exe).
Or, the most likely situation is that you are not quite familiar with installing on Macs. When you download something, it will come in the form of a "mount". Within that mount will be the programme, you just drag that into the Applications folder. When that is done, you just eject the mount like any other drive. To uninstall, just drag the file out of applications and into the trash.
Of course it could be neither :p

soma
2006-10-04, 02:51
'Mounts'?
Good lord I'm going to have fun understanding Macs!

cozmo
2006-10-04, 09:28
That could either be:

You are downloading windows programmes (.exe).
Or, the most likely situation is that you are not quite familiar with installing on Macs. When you download something, it will come in the form of a "mount". Within that mount will be the programme, you just drag that into the Applications folder. When that is done, you just eject the mount like any other drive. To uninstall, just drag the file out of applications and into the trash.
Of course it could be neither :p

Thanks I will try that. All so new, yet that sounds pretty damn easy.

Wyatt
2006-10-04, 09:35
Thanks I will try that. All so new, yet that sounds pretty damn easy.
It is easy. That's the whole idea. Welcome to the Mac. :D

I switched about a year ago, and I still remember how strange it was for me. Here's another tip for you: When you want to uninstall the application, just go to the Applications folder and drag the program to the trash.

cozmo
2006-10-04, 11:40
thanks for that. I love it.

MBHockey
2006-10-07, 14:51
Right. Same here. The most different concept was the whole disk image system. I don't even think about it now, it just makes sense :)

soma
2006-10-10, 04:24
Well - after 4 weeks of waiting (ordered a bundled machine via a reseller - got a pretty good deal...then there were issues over RAM supplies, but anyway....) the 24" iMac has arrived!
It's still in the box...kind of savouring the fact it has been delivered, but I shall soon be tearing that cardboard apart.
My first ever mac...bit worried now the event has finally graced my milieu. Will I miss Windows so much (you only appreciate things where they're gone eh? :) )
Probably not...my PC was crashing whenever it felt like it, despite being fairly new...video and music production seems to fox it somewhat.
Might be a basic question but what's the best way to transfer any files (jpegs/mp3's etc) from a PC to the new mac?
Many thanks.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-10, 04:47
Depends, if you have an ethernet cable?

Or just burn stuff to dvd's. Photos and music don't usually take many dvds.

soma
2006-10-10, 04:54
I don't have an ethernet cable - would firewire work?
DVD's sound like the best option otherwise.
Cheers Farenheit.