PDA

View Full Version : Retard working for Apple - SAFARI MELTDOWN

murbot
2004-09-24, 09:04
Hover your mouse over the Google search bar thingy.

Wait for the tooltip to appear.

Roar with uncontrollable laughter!!

Uh, these guys don't spellcheck this shit?

Moogs
2004-09-24, 09:08
And here I thought an animated robot was going to pop up and hump the search bar. Meltdown? :D Murbot needs more beer.

thegelding
2004-09-24, 09:24
i think that portion of safari was farmed out to a canadian firm...

:D

g

johnq
2004-09-24, 09:47
What are you guys talking about, mine's fine. 1.2.3 (v125.9).

Actually, I have AcidSearch installed, perhaps it fixes the typo?

Or are you on pirated Tiger versions...? :D

murbot
2004-09-24, 10:13
It ain't grammatically good. Sentence, rather.

!!

:p

Brad
2004-09-24, 10:14
What are you guys talking about, mine's fine. 1.2.3 (v125.9).

Note: "of"

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-24, 10:38
lol I see that too. WTF.... o.O Is there anyway that can be fixed? Like is there a .nib file that can be edited?

Brad
2004-09-24, 10:44
Like any localized text, yes.

/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.string

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-24, 10:52
Like any localized text, yes.

/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.string

OK I found the line but no matter how I change it it now says "localized string not found." What has to edited?

Here's where the text is in the Localizeable.string file.

/* tooltip in search field */
"Type a word of phrase, then press Return." = "Type a word of phrase, then press Return.";

curiousuburb
2004-09-24, 10:58
So how many votes for changing it to:

"Google is your friend"
or perhaps
http://admiraljustin.f2o.org/bart2.gif

scratt
2004-09-24, 11:01
I fixed mine...

Just used white out to take the top of the 'f' off.
Looks fine now as long as I have my browser window in exactly the same place!!

Brad
2004-09-24, 12:00
OK I found the line but no matter how I change it it now says "localized string not found." What has to edited?
I take it you've never done any Cocoa programming, yes? :p

Only change the right side of the equation.

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-09-24, 13:10
I take it you've never done any Cocoa programming, yes? :p

Only change the right side of the equation.

Domo arigatou Mr. Bradato ;)

houseley
2004-09-26, 07:49
The title of this thread is offensive and demeaning to people with learning disabilities. Ignorant attitudes embodied in a word such as ‘retard’ have no place in a forum such as this and I am that surprised that this has been permitted.

I would ask that a moderator either delete the thread or change the title to something that doesn't seek a cheap laugh at the expense of people who are not as 'smart' as the rest of you.

If you can’t see the point of this post, then I suggest you need to broaden your horizons by spending some time with people with Down syndrome, for instance, and maybe you’ll recognise that there’s more to being a decent person than intelligence.

David

Gargoyle
2004-09-26, 08:49
WOW. This is your first post! You Really, Really need to get laid, stoned or drunk.

Forums like this are only here because WE want them to be here. They have the general feel of the majority of the group. What is not needed is a pumped up moralistic twat thinking he/she can register and start to lecture our lovely moderators about ethics with their first post!

That's what this (http://www.appleinsider.com) site is for. :D

[Edit] Yes I did change my own Title... Why? 'Cos I can!

ast3r3x
2004-09-26, 08:51
The title of this thread is offensive and demeaning to people with learning disabilities. Ignorant attitudes embodied in a word such as ‘retard’ have no place in a forum such as this and I am that surprised that this has been permitted.

I would ask that a moderator either delete the thread or change the title to something that doesn't seek a cheap laugh at the expense of people who are not as 'smart' as the rest of you.

If you can’t see the point of this post, then I suggest you need to broaden your horizons by spending some time with people with Down syndrome, for instance, and maybe you’ll recognise that there’s more to being a decent person than intelligence.

David

I'm personally offended that you are offended by the use of the term retard. I knew someone who had down syndrome and was very nice. I don't have a problem with the term.

I never understood people's problem with others using this, it's not as if they are using it meanly against a mentally handicapped person. Unless murbot wasn't joking and there really are retards working at Apple :eek: Talk about equal opportunity employer.

I hope for your sake nobody breaks out the numerous handicapped images on the internet.

Gargoyle
2004-09-26, 08:57
Changed my title again... It might have been a bit much!

Forget it... not worth it.

Move along. Nothing to see here... ;)

alcimedes
2004-09-26, 09:54
lol, people with down syndrome are usually the nicest, happiest people i've met. i have worked with kids/adults with down syndrome. do i find the thread title offensive? no.

why?

the term retard isn't owned, copyrighted or somehow belonging to the down syndrome crowd. mental retardation doesn't mean down syndrome. look up the meaning of the word retard if you don't believe me.

thegelding
2004-09-26, 10:24
ahhhh, the infamous debate over retarded/retard

funny sometimes

we have a medical term for babies that are small and not growing at the proper rate, usually from placental hypertension or some decrease in the blood supply from mom to fetus...it is called IUGR, intrauterine growth retardation....some people actually complain about the term because of the use of the word retardation...silly people

Some people complain about the terms Down's syndrome, named after a doctor not because these babies are down or below or low or downers...silly people...still we can just use the term trisomy 21 and make them happy i guess

on a more personal basis...my mother taught learning disabled, mentally handicapped, socially/emotionally maladjusted children for 22 years in the public school system...my brother has worked for ARCA for the last ten, first working with mentally "challenged" adults in their homes, then as the person finding them jobs and helping them keep them, now as a community outreach coordinator... me? i work in pediatric cardiology with tons of "special" children (50% of trisomy 21 children have heart disease, almost 100% for trisomy 13 and 18)...

i (and we, my mom and bro ) personally have no problem with the word retarded, just a word...same with retard and even the infamous 'tarded (my little brother uses that one all the time and we works 50 hours a week improving the lives of "retarded" adults)...just depends on the person using it and the venom behind it...

anyways, you should be proud of us as a country... we have a 'tard for a president showing that america is truly an equal opportunity employer... though i think cheney takes a tax break on his income tax for hiring the handicapped...

g

kscherer
2004-09-26, 11:49
According to the Signet mosby Medical Encyclopedia, Mental Retardation is defined as follows: "a disorder marked by less than average general intellectual function with problems in the ability to learn and to act socially. The disorder is twice as common among males as among females. It may be named according to the intelligence quotient as: borderline, IQ 71 to 84; mild, IQ 51 - 70; moderate, IQ 35 to 49; severe, IQ 20 to 34; and profound, IQ below 20. Treatment is made up of educational programs and training according to the level of retardation. Emphasis is placed on prevention, as genetic counseling, and checking the amniotic fluid for defects (amniocentesis)."

My son had Cerebral Palsy and was generally considered "mentally retarded". He died last year! If I am not offended in this thread, then NO ONE ELSE SHOULD BE!

However, I do believe the topic of the thread has strayed and would appreciate it if those of you who would like to discuss the moral issues associated with the word "retard" please do it in AppleOutsider! :\

DMBand0026
2004-09-26, 11:49
I'm mildly amused that he asked a moderator to change the title of the thread when the thread was started by an admin.

:lol:

To some people it's offensive, but than again, what isn't these days?

johnq
2004-09-26, 12:01
The title of this thread is offensive and demeaning to people with learning disabilities.

People with learning disabilities are not retards, last I checked. Retards, in today's parlance (word meanings do change you do realize?), are people who behave dumber than they actually are, out of recklessness or boredom or stubbornness. People that go against their own intelligence or capabilities.

I think you're the only one to equate the word 'retard' with people with true learning disabilities.

"Imbecile", "idiot" and "moron" were all perfectly acceptable medical terms in the beginning of the last century. Yet these words have morphed over the years to NOT mean actual people with learning disabilities, but regular people showing behaviors or views that seem contrary to what they ought to be capable of (See: President George W. Bush).

ast3r3x
2004-09-26, 14:27
My son had Cerebral Palsy and was generally considered "mentally retarded". He died last year! If I am not offended in this thread, then NO ONE ELSE SHOULD BE!

Sorry to hear that man. :|

Messiahtosh
2004-09-26, 20:52
anyways, you should be proud of us as a country... we have a 'tard for a president showing that america is truly an equal opportunity employer... though i think cheney takes a tax break on his income tax for hiring the handicapped...

gIt's funny that you use George W as an example to make your point that 'politically correct' is stupid, especially when the D's are the ones who try to always be politically correct.

2004-09-26, 23:34
It's funny that you use George W as an example to make your point that 'politically correct' is stupid, especially when the D's are the ones who try to always be politically correct. :confused: Where in his post exactly did you get 'stupid' from? I got 'some silly people are offended because they don't know any better'.

Or is this another of your 'I don't agree with you so you are both wrong and stupid' posts? :err:

Retard.

kscherer
2004-09-26, 23:38
:confused: Where in his post exactly did you get 'stupid' from? I got 'some silly people are offended because they don't know any better'.

Or is this another of your 'I don't agree with you so you are both wrong and stupid' posts? :err:

Retard.

scratt
2004-09-26, 23:39
Re`tard´

Noun
retard - a person of subnormal intelligence
changeling, cretin, half-wit, idiot, imbecile, moron
simpleton, simple - a person lacking intelligence or common sense

Verb
retard - slow the growth or development of; "The brain damage will retard the child's language development"
delay, check
alter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"
dampen - check; keep in check (a fire)
detain, delay, stay - stop or halt; "Please stay the bloodshed!"

retard - cause to move more slowly or operate at a slower rate; "This drug will retard your heart rate"
decelerate, slow down - reduce the speed of; "He slowed down the car"
deaden - lessen the momentum or velocity of; "deaden a ship's headway"

retard - be delayed
be - have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun); "John is rich"; "This is not a good answer"

retard - lose velocity; move more slowly; "The car decelerated"
decelerate, slow, slow down, slow up
decrease, diminish, lessen, fall - decrease in size, extent, or range; "The amount of homework decreased towards the end of the semester"; "The cabin pressure fell dramatically"; "her weight fall to under a hundred pounds"; "his voice fell to a whisper"
slow up, slow, slow down - cause to proceed more slowly; "The illness slowed him down"
delay, detain, hold up - cause to be slowed down or delayed; "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform"

Thought this might help. :D

kscherer
2004-09-26, 23:42
You forgot "retardant" as in: "them thar arrplanes dumped a bunch o' retardant on thet thar big ass far!" :p

scratt
2004-09-26, 23:49
Bugger! :lol:

And my white out has rubbed off my screen too!

My mum always said if you fiddle with it it will fall off. She wass right. Damnit! :|

murbot
2004-09-28, 11:18
The title of this thread is offensive and demeaning to people with learning disabilities. Ignorant attitudes embodied in a word such as �retard� have no place in a forum such as this and I am that surprised that this has been permitted.
This is nothing. Hang around for a while and you'll see what this site is really capable of.

No. Actually, don't.

If a moderator deletes this thread, I will fire them.

If you can�t see the point of this post, then I suggest you need to broaden your horizons by spending some time with people with Down syndrome, for instance, and maybe you�ll recognise that there�s more to being a decent person than intelligence.
I fail to see how spending more time with people suffering from Down Syndrome will help. I know that there is more to being a decent person than intelligence. Take yourself for instance. Your lack of intelligence makes you so easily offended by this thread title - something that obviously had no intent to insult anyone - but it's still possible that you're a decent person.

If you really want to get into this, feel free to start a thread on it in AppleOutsider, where all the really retarded threads go.

Random Hero
2004-09-28, 12:28

David

Shut up

kscherer
2004-09-28, 12:38
This is nothing. Hang around for a while and you'll see what this site is really capable of.

No. Actually, don't.

If a moderator deletes this thread, I will fire them.

I fail to see how spending more time with people suffering from Down Syndrome will help. I know that there is more to being a decent person than intelligence. Take yourself for instance. Your lack of intelligence makes you so easily offended by this thread title - something that obviously had no intent to insult anyone - but it's still possible that you're a decent person.

If you really want to get into this, feel free to start a thread on it in AppleOutsider, where all the really retarded threads go.

drewprops
2004-10-02, 07:40
This is the most retarded thread I have ever seen at AppleNova.

DMBand0026
2004-10-02, 10:09
This is the most retarded thread I have ever seen at AppleNova.

Don't say retarded, it makes you sound retarded.

Windswept
2004-10-02, 15:05

David

Gosh, David. You really got off on the wrong foot here at AN. It's clear that you were appalled by the use of the word 'retard' in the title. I can *guarantee* that it wasn't meant as an insult to people with learning disabilities.

I have been around this board and these members long enough to know that a surprising percentage of us actually *have* various difficulties, like dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, and so forth. My own brother has both of those, and a smarter, more wonderful person does not walk the earth.

I see that you are from the UK. (I'm a mod, and I checked your profile.) I guess people are more polite there. 'This' board can be a pretty 'rough and tumble' place sometimes - partly because those who founded it did so in revolt against the strictures and impositions applied at 'another location'. I think that detail makes a big difference in the atmosphere you're likely to encounter here.

Some boards I have participated in seem as if they're run by people always wearing Sunday church-going clothes, as they sit around drinking tea from fragile china cups (with saucers), with crocheted doilies on the arms of the chairs. The people who run *this* place are about as far from that image as you are likely to get.

So you may never like AppleNova, David. I hope that does not turn out to be the case, because there are many fantastic, warm, smart people who contribute to this board. We all sort of have to *get used to* the way things are here.

I lived on an island one summer, where the speed limit was 20 mph. I was only there three months, but I got used to that speed (though I didn't realize it at the time). When I flew back to the mainland and rode in a taxi (on the freeway) that was going 60 mph, I was terrified. I remember sitting there clutching the seat in white-knuckled fear. I just wasn't used to the speed. If you knew what a fast driver I have always been myself, that story becomes even more weird.

Oh well. My point is, if you stick around this place, you'll probably get used to the way things are.

goldfish
2004-10-02, 15:06
This side of the Atlantic, use of the word 'retard' is as unnacceptable as 'nigger' or 'wog' or 'spastic'. Presumably it's not difficult for you lot to appreciate why it wouldn't be ideal to have a thread entitled 'Nigger working for Apple', is it...?

So where's the difference?

As for the guy with the kid with cerebral palsy, it's really sad, and I'm sorry, but frankly, your opinion is just as worthless as everyone else's. You cannot determine what is and isn't offensive to someone else. You don't have that gift.

My sister is mentally handicapped; I can assure you that if anyone called her a 'retard' to my face, I would knock them on their arse.

It may not be as offensive in the States, but here it's simply not done. If the presumption is that this is an American board, run on American rules, fine. Fuck you too. But I would imagine that as a reasonably sensible request has been made, and as the title isn't really adding anything to what is basically a thread about a typo, you'd need to be a bit of a cunt not to realise that it needs changing.

Simon

goldfish
2004-10-02, 15:12
Gosh, David. You really got off on the wrong foot here at AN. It's clear that you were appalled by the use of the word 'retard' in the title. I can *guarantee* that it wasn't meant as an insult to people with learning disabilities.

I have been around this board and these members long enough to know that a surprising percentage of us actually *have* various difficulties, like dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, and so forth. My own brother has both of those, and a smarter, more wonderful person does not walk the earth.

[Snip....]
Crivens. I've never read such a pile of patronising rubbish in my life.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether the comment was intended as an insult, it has been perceived as such, and in a reasonable, even 'rough and tumble' [barf] forum, it would be changed.

Simon

ast3r3x
2004-10-02, 15:29
This side of the Atlantic, use of the word 'retard' is as unnacceptable as 'nigger' or 'wog' or 'spastic'. Presumably it's not difficult for you lot to appreciate why it wouldn't be ideal to have a thread entitled 'Nigger working for Apple', is it...?

Wog and spastic are bad words?! :lol:

What do they mean, I'm sorry, I've just never heard that, and while everyone knows the controversy about 'retard' I would be willing to bet most people don't know about 'spastic'.

I will say when you have the majority of people from the states on a board run in the states, you will have such speaking. If you were from a country where it was impolite to look at someone while they were talking to you, and went to a country where it is not, you wouldn't expect the country to change because of your culture would you?

What does 'Crivens' mean?

Apparently not part of the dictionary.

Crivens. I've never read such a pile of patronising rubbish in my life.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether the comment was intended as an insult, it has been perceived as such, and in a reasonable, even 'rough and tumble' [barf] forum, it would be changed.

Simon

Listen asshole, it's not a good idea to be nice to the single person (re: Carol) that actually wants to be nice to you.

goldfish
2004-10-02, 15:33
Forgive me. I forgot the internet was an American-only device.

Silly me... :rolleyes:

[EDIT] Crivens equiv "Blimey", "Oh my", or "Jesus Fucking Wept"

goldfish
2004-10-02, 15:34
Listen asshole, it's not a good idea to be nice to the single person (re: Carol) that actually wants to be nice to you.

:lol: All part of the 'rough and tumble'.

Besides, if the person at Apple who is a "retard" is described thus for accidentally hitting the 'f' key, rather than the 'r' (keys which are, in case you hadn't twigged, next to each other), what word should we use for the fuckwit who types 'it's not a good idea to be nice to the...person..that...wants to be nice to you'? :lol: :lol: Come back when you've got a clue, bozo.

Simon

ast3r3x
2004-10-02, 15:38
You forgot to explain what those words mean.

goldfish
2004-10-02, 15:46
My bad...

'Spastic' is a derogatory term for someone with spina bifida, normally, but would also be used in ignorance for polio sufferers, cerebral palsy or a multitude of other mental and physical handicaps.

'Wog' is a derogatory alternative/equivalent to 'nigger' that was common place in the English-speaking world.

Simon

murbot
2004-10-02, 15:47
I suppose I'm a cunt. I also think "spastic" is about as offensive as "hyper".

Retarded = nigger? I've never heard of that. But whatever. I may be a bit of a retard when it comes to this type of thing.

And of course you'd hit anyone who called your sister a retard. That's obvious. Of course since it doesn't have anything to do with this topic, it was a waste of your time to post your little "look at how tough I am behind this keyboard" flexing.

Anyway, people. This is the forum for Apple Products. Please post any other comments related to the word RETARD in AppleOutsider, or post your gripes in the Feedback forum.

*LOCK*

(hope LOCK isn't an offensive term where you're from)

Windswept
2004-10-02, 16:06
Forgive me. I forgot the internet was an American-only device.

Silly me... :rolleyes:

[EDIT] Crivens equiv "Blimey", "Oh my", or "Jesus Fucking Wept"
Simon, I'm sorry you and David are offended by the word. We (or maybe I should say *I*) love having people from the UK and elsewhere on this board, and would certainly do nothing to prolong an offense.

However, Murbot is the one who started this thread, and there's *no way* I'm changing *his* title. He would kick my ass. Btw, I might mention that he is Canadian. :D

Yes, the word 'nigger' would be extremely offensive here. I am amazed that 'retard' carries the same weight of offense. Murbot will probably be around later to read some of these more recent posts. Maybe he'll want to change the title then, but I doubt it. He seems pretty stubborn to me.

And about the "patronising" comment: Wow. I have absolutely no idea to 'what' in my post you are referring. If i seemed patronizing, I apologize. That was not intended either.

I notice that Gargoyle, who's also from the UK, was not offended by all this.

Yeah, ast3r3x, interesting point. There are SO many ways that people from one culture can be offensive to people from another. Like the whole thing in Iraq (and elsewhere, I assume) about it being an incredible insult to show someone the soles of your shoes.

When I was travelling to Brazil on a freighter, I made the A-OK sign with my fingers to express my enjoyment of the food in the officers' dining room. Turns out that sign is extremely obscene and offensive to South Americans. No one told me until later, as I recall. Very embarrassing.

Again, no way am *I* changing murbot's title. Not in a million years. Sorry.