PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp?

morgan rose
2006-09-26, 11:54
Does anybody know anything about Bootcamp, we are going to convert everybody in the office to mac, but some of the media people still need to run their buying software on windows. I have seen the beta version on the apple website, does this work? And also can i open files in from windows to the Mac side?

Fahrenheit
2006-09-26, 11:59
Yes it does work! Brilliantly. You will however, need an SP2 version of XP pro or home for every computer, unless you have some sort of volume license in place.

It works by restarting the computer and holding the option key and selecting to boot xp or mac.

Easy.

Here is a (poorly made!) video I made of it working on my computer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke4r-0XvHXE

:)

PS: You also need to download the Bootcamp software from apple's site which will have all the graphics drivers, USB drivers, isight drivers etc for when XP is on. You also need to partition your harddrive, all this takes place in an easy setup thing that Apple has made. Seriously, not much tech knowledge required! :)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

scratt
2006-09-26, 13:00
Is there any way out there yet to have more than two partitions (i.e. More than the Windoze one and the OS X one) ?

I really need 3 or 4 partitions for the way I use my machine, and because of that am limited (if that's the correct word for it) to Parallels...

Fahrenheit
2006-09-26, 13:01
Is there any way out there yet to have more than two partitions (i.e. More than the Windoze one and the OS X one) ?

I really need 3 or 4 partitions for the way I use my machine, and because of that am limited (if that's the correct word for it) to Parallels...

No unfortunately their aint. Its a simple dual-boot system, and not a multiboot. :( Would be nice. Another gripe is that I cant change the size of the XP partition. grr/

Gargoyle
2006-09-26, 13:58
How complicate is the buying software? You would probably be better using parallels. If I were one of your buyers, I would get pissed if I had to reboot 3 or 4 times a day to go between the buying software and my emails!

morgan rose
2006-09-26, 16:10
we would proablay have the media just use the windows boot, but since advertising is always changing, people here have a 2 year shelf life. So it would be nice to be able to move computers around without having to worry wetherthe machine is compatible with there software. Is there any need for a PC anymore???when you can boot either operating system. Plus who wants a PC when Macs are so sexy.

Fahrenheit
2006-09-26, 16:21
we would proablay have the media just use the windows boot, but since advertising is always changing, people here have a 2 year shelf life. So it would be nice to be able to move computers around without having to worry wetherthe machine is compatible with there software. Is there any need for a PC anymore???when you can boot either operating system. Plus who wants a PC when Macs are so sexy.
You have learnt well, my son.

chucker
2006-09-26, 21:45

Yes, but you can only do this with the command-line, and it's a rather complicated, tricky and buggy process. I wouldn't recommend it at this point.

scratt
2006-09-26, 22:24
Goddam you chucker.. Where's my smiley!?!? ;)

Thanks.. I think I saw something about that somewhere in one of my Google rambles, and (again) came to the same conclusion as you.. Ah well, Parallels it is for now I guess!

btw It is seriusly cool having one 20" monitor running XP, while the other screen is all Aqua! :) And Visual Studio seems to run like it's on fire in Parallels anyway.. Heck XP only took about 15 minutes to install, even though it started with the usual 49 minute countdown! Insane!