PDA

View Full Version : Making programs for macs

prestigerg1570@aim.com
2006-10-02, 14:48
Who here has made programs for macs for a long time and knows the best and easiest way to learn how to do it and which languages work well for it. I am aiming to make small apps to let people download for free that will make their mac experience more fun and better.

Wyatt
2006-10-02, 14:53
Are you going for the record for starting threads?

kieran
2006-10-02, 14:54
He's well on his way.

Brad
2006-10-02, 14:56
Please put programming-related threads in the Programmers Nook forum. Moving...

thuh Freak
2006-10-04, 12:30
your approach and language depend on what you are trying to do. If you want to make user-facing applications, with a GUI and all that jazz, you'll probably want to learn Objective-C. Its a superset over C (meaning, virtually all C code will compile without modification in an objc compiler). Apple's frameworks (AppKit, Foundation, ..) are done in ObjC. I think the frameworks are also accessible from Java, but I never really went that route. Apple has a great IDE (Xcode) thats a free download with a free adc membership.

But, you could also do your GUI stuff in a higher level language, like AppleScript, depending on the project. There isn't one end-all be-all language for all projects. How you approach any project depends on the requirements, target audience, ETD, and a host of factors. Some projects require that you get down and dirty (assembly, c, ...), some don't have strong requirements, so its easier in a language that takes care of the silly shit for you (AS, shell scripts, ...).