PDA

View Full Version : What is the better buy, referb Mini or New Nano?

PB PM
2006-10-02, 15:52
I'm thinking of getting a real iPod, I mean the Shuffle is nice, but I was just using it to get a taste of the MP3 player market. I currently have 3.8GBs of music, and will most likely be over 4GB soon.

So I'm looking at getting either the new 4GB Nano ($229 Cdn) or a refurb 4GB Mini ($119 Cdn). Now I'm most likely not going to be putting pictures on there, although I might like having that feature in the future, but at this point having a colour screen isn't a big deal to me. The 24 hour battery life of the Nano vs. 18 hour life on the Mini is attractive to me, but more often than not I don't listen to it for more than a few hours a day so its not a big deal either way. So my question is this, is having 6 more hours of battery life plus the flash memory of Nano really worth the extra $110 it will cost me over the Mini?

Fahrenheit
2006-10-02, 15:54
4 gig Nanos (old model) are going for $170 on apple refurb. Thats a good deal IMHO.

PB PM
2006-10-02, 15:57
True, but it has less battery life than the new Nano or the Mini, that is why I'm not really looking at it. Plus old 4GB Model is refurbing at $195 Cdn, only a $34 savings over the new 4GB Nano.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-02, 19:21
Well I have to say that I love the new Nano and it is pretty much better in every way to the old one, but the mini is also great. I would personally go with a Nano as you also have the ability to use Nike+ and also lots of third party bits with it, and the mini is just old now- where can you get them new?

torifile
2006-10-02, 19:31
Seconded. The nano is spectacular. I'd go for a first gen nano over the mini but the 2nd gen nano over the first gen (that is if money's not an issue).

thegeriatric
2006-10-02, 20:01
I'd go for the new Nano. Or if you can't stretch to it the mini.

PB PM
2006-10-03, 01:17
Well I have to say that I love the new Nano and it is pretty much better in every way to the old one, but the mini is also great. I would personally go with a Nano as you also have the ability to use Nike+ and also lots of third party bits with it, and the mini is just old now- where can you get them new?
Yeah, and another selling feature of the Nano is the colour, I'm digging the blue. The Mini I was looking at is under Refurb on the Canadian Apple store. I'm going to order next week, so I have time to think clearly about the choices I have vs. the amount of money I want to put down.

Robo
2006-10-03, 01:39
I'd go for the new nano, but I understand what it's like to have limited electronics funds. ;) Every dollar counts for me right now.

Sketch
2006-10-03, 02:25
Well for 110 $ extra, I wouldn't go for the nano since it is pretty clear that you really don't care much about nano's features. In your situation, I'd rather go for the mini.

PB PM
2006-10-03, 10:39
I'd go for the new nano, but I understand what it's like to have limited electronics funds. ;) Every dollar counts for me right now.
I think I will go for the Nano. At first I didn't think I would like some of the features, but the long battery life, and flash memory vs. hd seems worth it too me.