PDA

View Full Version : MacBook: 1 GB (matched pair) vs. 1.25 GB

Wyatt
2006-10-05, 13:41
I've pretty much decided I'm going to upgrade my MacBook's RAM when I get paid in two weeks, so I have a decision to make.

I can either go with 2x512 MB or I can leave one of my original 256 MB DIMMS in there and add a single 1 GB DIMM. I can't afford the full 2 GB, and I wouldn't really ever need it for the applications I run (mostly Shiira, iLife, iWork, SubEthaEdit, and minor XCode work).

Would I benefit more from having the matched pairs or from having the extra 256 MB? I do play the occasional game, but UT 2004 is about my limit. (Surprisingly, it runs fairly well under Windows with only 512 MB--however, it won't let me run the 32-player Last Man Standing games I'm so fond of.)

Joshua
2006-10-05, 15:56
I don't have an exact answer for you, but I added a 1GB stick to mine and everything you mentioned, plus iPhoto with 9,000+ pics, iMovie, iDVD, PS and DW run great.

I'd just get the 1GB stick, then maybe a month or even 6 months get another then you'd have 2GB.

Hope this helps.

Windowsrookie
2006-10-05, 16:01
The graphics will benefit from 2x 512mb.

http://forums.applenova.com/showpost.php?p=402276&postcount=91 :p

Wyatt
2006-10-05, 16:42

Yes, and to that post, someone replied that the extra little bit of RAM helps more. Thus, I started this thread. Smart ass. :D

I don't have an exact answer for you, but I added a 1GB stick to mine and everything you mentioned, plus iPhoto with 9,000+ pics, iMovie, iDVD, PS and DW run great.

I'd just get the 1GB stick, then maybe a month or even 6 months get another then you'd have 2GB.

Hope this helps.
Yes, it does help. Thank you.

Joshua
2006-10-06, 07:51
I was also going to add...

If you have ANY inclination of ever running parallels then you really ought to consider 2GB. I can easily run parallels with my 1.25GB, but it does get a slow if I'm running anything intensive in OS X, and parallels at the same time.

Wyatt
2006-10-06, 08:02
I was also going to add...

If you have ANY inclination of ever running parallels then you really ought to consider 2GB. I can easily run parallels with my 1.25GB, but it does get a slow if I'm running anything intensive in OS X, and parallels at the same time.
Thanks Joshua. I don't really have any major use for Parallels (at least not any that would warrant spending the money for it), but I appreciate the input, and it's definitely something I'll think about if I ever decide I need Parallels. For now, though, I don't want Windows taking up any of my tiny 60GB hard drive. I'm actually going to purchase the OS X version of UT 2004, even though I have the Windows version already, just so I don't have to have Windows installed.

Partial
2006-10-06, 13:07

False! There is a post on here with someone actually calling Intel customer service and they reported that they disabled dual-channel on the motherboard for some reason. I believe they called because they didn't see the performance they wanted to out of buying matching sticks.

Go with the 1.25. I have this and my sister have the matching 512 sticks on the same computer and it is pretty much identicle performance on every day computing, but mine has more ram capacity obviously.