View Full Version : New OS?? Does it worth

snowfix
2006-10-06, 08:00
I want to buy a MacBook for christmas in this year
Would the Upgrade from Tiger up to Leopard be cheaper
or would I still have to pay 130€

Sketch
2006-10-06, 08:07
Well, if your MB comes with Tiger then you'll have to buy Leopard when it is out. I don't think there is an upgrade option. Am I right guys?

Engine Joe
2006-10-06, 08:15
I believe that's correct. The only time you get an upgrade is if Leopard is out, then you buy a MacBook and it still has Tiger installed due to the inventory already on hand.

Luca
2006-10-06, 23:37
Well, Apple usually announces the release date of the next version about a month before the official release. During that time, if you buy a new Mac, you can get an upgrade disc for $20 since the OS hasn't been officially released yet at that point but the date is in the near future. The best thing is to just wait until the OS is released, but then you're waiting quite a while (maybe six months from now). If you want/need the computer now, just buy it now. You can always upgrade later. It will cost the full price, but I think it'll still be worth it.

Oh, and is Apple still charging European customers 129€ for OS X? What a total rip off. It's US$129, which is about 101€. 129€ is US$163.

EDIT: It's a rip-off unless that includes the huge taxes that European governments levy against foreign products, in which case I guess it's about right.

Sketch
2006-10-07, 02:24
Oh, and is Apple still charging European customers 129€ for OS X? What a total rip off. It's US$129, which is about 101€. 129€ is US$163.

EDIT: It's a rip-off unless that includes the huge taxes that European governments levy against foreign products, in which case I guess it's about right.

16% tax, for all products, well at least in Germany. Yeah well if you go to apple.de (http://www.apple.de) and check out the store there, then you will see the price difference.

chucker
2006-10-07, 03:26
It's several percents EU customs fee, 16% German VAT, etc.

turbulentfurball
2006-10-07, 05:50
<tangent>
At my work, we do tax rebates for customers from out-with the EU. I recently had some American customers enquiring about it. They didn't think that the rebate would be worth the paperwork until I told them that VAT (Value Added Tax for those not in the know) stands at 17.5%. They were rather shocked.
</tangent>

Bryson
2006-10-07, 06:04
At least we include our sales tax in the quoted prices. I found Canada quite bewildering when the various taxes were added at the till, rather than being on the ticket. Lots of: "Dammit...not enough cash on me...better use the card then, I guess..."

ast3r3x
2006-10-07, 06:11
At least we include our sales tax in the quoted prices. I found Canada quite bewildering when the various taxes were added at the till, rather than being on the ticket. Lots of: "Dammit...not enough cash on me...better use the card then, I guess..."

The easier to trick you :devil: You europeans think your so god damn fancier than us USers. I suppose your gas isn't x.xx9 either! We demand low prices, even if it's just a trick ;)

Luca
2006-10-07, 07:32
Fuel in England is sold in pence (well, recently, pounds) per litre. Which is ironic, because fuel tanks are always measured in gallons and mileage is always measured in miles per gallon, even in England. It just makes it look cheaper.

So is fuel sold at, say, 98.9p per litre? Or do they just round it off to 99p?

Oh, and an Imperial gallon is 4 litres, correct? As opposed to the American gallon which is 4 quarts, and is thus slightly smaller than an Imperial gallon.

EDIT: To get at least somewhat on topic, I think the main reason tax isn't shown at places like the Apple online store is because it varies from state to state. Some states have no sales tax at all. Some have a very low sales tax of 5% or less (maybe; I don't know the lowest sales tax in the country but I think it's around that). My state is 6.5% unless you live within the city limits of Minneapolis, in which case it's 7%. California has a sales tax of like, 8.25% or something, and it varies based on which city you live in (if any).

What bothers me, though, is that local shops still don't incorporate sales tax. The shops aren't moving anywhere, they just prefer making things look cheap. It's bothersome because in order to buy anything from, say, a "dollar menu," you need $1.07.

julesstoop
2006-10-07, 08:15
From Apple's unit convertor widget:
1 Imperial Gallon = 4,54609 liters
1 US Gallon = 3,7854118 liters

Sketch
2006-10-07, 08:23
as for snowfixs' thread title question, whether it is worth it or not, well that's depend on you. Also, Leopard have some more secret features that they haven't mentioned yet. So, you might want to wait and see what they are and then decide whether you really want to spend extra 130 Eur for that. Because for 20 Eur more you can get a new iPod nano 2GB. So up to you.

Jamie240
2006-10-07, 08:31
Yeah, the sales tax is added at the end.

And it can vary quite a bit within a certain geographical area. I live in a large metropolitan area composed of many different smallish cities. Each little city has it's own tax rate, so that if you buy something at Best Buy in one location, the price can vary significantly from a Best Buy store five miles away.

I think the sales tax in my town is 8.25%. But if you're shopping at a store that sells groceries as well as other goods, iirc, the groceries won't have sales tax added, whereas other goods will, like kleenex for example.

Also, you can't buy beer on Sunday mornings, because hey, you're supposed to be in church. ;)

I know it makes *more sense* to have the full price marked for each item on the shelf. The main reason I can come up with why they don't is that marking the full price might discourage some people from buying the item. That's why they do all this stupid $5.99 type stuff. Guess for some people, the thought of the full $6.00 would be a dealbreaker. ;)

Oh, and some states don't even 'have' a sales tax... like Oregon. And places like Alaska - not only is there *not* a state income tax, but the state *pays* each resident something like $1,000 per year as their share of state oil revenues. :eek: (I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure that's true.)

mattf
2006-10-08, 04:02
Fuel in England is sold in pence (well, recently, pounds) per litre. Which is ironic, because fuel tanks are always measured in gallons and mileage is always measured in miles per gallon, even in England. It just makes it look cheaper.
Absolutely right. Most importantly, it keeps it (for the most part) under the £1 barrier.

So is fuel sold at, say, 98.9p per litre? Or do they just round it off to 99p?
It's sold at x.9p per litre.

Oh, and an Imperial gallon is 4 litres, correct? As opposed to the American gallon which is 4 quarts, and is thus slightly smaller than an Imperial gallon.
No, an imperial gallon is 4.54 litres (or 8 imperial pints). So, the important thing to remember is, not only are our gallons larger than yours, but so are our pints. ;)

AWR
2006-10-08, 08:14
If you are in Germany and plan to buy OS X AND go to University (nevermind medical school) it's a lot cheaper than doing it in the States, by ... let's estimate USD 100,000 (with medical school USD 150,000). Then the VAT doesn't seem so bad. ;)

If you need or want the computer now or within a few months, buy it now. If you don't really need it, wait. By the time Leopard is released there will probably be a MacBook update too. :)

screensaver400
2006-10-08, 11:27
If you are in Germany and plan to buy OS X AND go to University (nevermind medical school) it's a lot cheaper than doing it in the States, by ... let's estimate USD 100,000 (with medical school USD 150,000). Then the VAT doesn't seem so bad. ;)
Trouble is, if you don't want to go to medical school (etc.), you paid VAT for nothing. :-P