PDA

View Full Version : iPod 30GB or Laptop bag

Sketch
2006-10-09, 04:37
Hello peeps,

O.k so my laptop bag I had is not usable anymore and the iPod nano I had, I gave it to my brother. Now I have to make a purchase decision between a new iPod (30 GB) or a new bag, because I have just enough money to buy either of them. I need to carry my MBP everyday and I am used to listening to music all the time as well. So this is going to be a tough decision. Help me to figure it out.

Bags:

I want to buy a good laptop bag (this doesn't mean the most expensive one). I was looking at Booq Folee XM (http://www.booq.de/Detail.bok?no=452) and Brenthaven Fusion MB (http://brenthaven.com/catalog-fusion-black.html#). If you know other brands please let me know. I like the Booq one but with shipping it is almost 150 Eur.

iPod:

I would like to go for a 30 GB iPod this time. But I am not sure whether I should spend 100 Eur on a bag (Brenthaven) and 150 Eur on an iPod nano 2GB and be happy or just have one good purchase at a time (Booq this time and 30 GB iPod or vice versa) and be happy in the long run. What do you guys and girls think?

Bryson
2006-10-09, 04:44
You need a bag. You want an iPod.

Buy what you need.

Luca
2006-10-09, 04:52
I say get the iPod now and make do with a less fancy laptop bag. I use a plain old shoulder bag that has a divider inside to prevent scratches. My laptop is in perfect shape after months of use. Then maybe later you can buy one of those fancy, expensive bags once you've save up some more money.

Of course, you could always get the bag and wait several months to buy the iPod, by which time the price may have dropped and/or a new model will have come out. But the chances of that happening soon are low (the iPod was just updated) and you don't get to use the iPod in those intervening months.

I have always been confused as to why people buy those super-expensive laptop bags. What's so great about them? If you really want a more protective setup, you could always get a padded sleeve to use with the bag, and you'll still spend less than half as much.

thegeriatric
2006-10-09, 05:19
I say get the iPod now and make do with a less fancy laptop bag. I use a plain old shoulder bag that has a divider inside to prevent scratches. My laptop is in perfect shape after months of use. Then maybe later you can buy one of those fancy, expensive bags once you've save up some more money.

Of course, you could always get the bag and wait several months to buy the iPod, by which time the price may have dropped and/or a new model will have come out. But the chances of that happening soon are low (the iPod was just updated) and you don't get to use the iPod in those intervening months.

I have always been confused as to why people buy those super-expensive laptop bags. What's so great about them? If you really want a more protective setup, you could always get a padded sleeve to use with the bag, and you'll still spend less than half as much.

I'm with Luca on this one makes perfect sense. In a way you win because you get both items you want. With the laptop bag it only needs to protect the contents, it's gonna get scratched and scuffed, so why spend a fortune on it. Good luck choosing. Let us know what you get. ;)

Sketch
2006-10-09, 05:54

Hmmm... true. Well I guess in that case I would go for Booq Vyper M2 sleeve for the laptop (50 Eur). I guess this would be a good purchase. As for the iPod, I think I will get the 4GB nano (200 Eur). Because the max I want to spend is 250 Eur. I guess this is the only way I can have best of both.

Any other suggestions?

PB PM
2006-10-09, 17:17
I don't get the expensive notebook bags either. I got a $50 Cdn. Targus bag (which can hold 13-15" notebooks, and its great. You can have both if you don't buy a $150+ bag.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-09, 17:19
Id be more inclined to go for the rucksack style bag, rather than the briefcase style, just much easier in general if you ask me. :\

World Leader Pretend
2006-10-09, 20:30
TimBuk2 (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm)bags are sweet if you want a daily use bag that is more than a laptop case. Also quite hip. :)

Sketch
2006-11-07, 15:53
So I took your advice and got a cheaper, but pretty good laptop skin. It is water-resistant and doesn't scratch my MBP. Skin cost me only 30 Eur, so I can put 30 and get an iPod 30GB finally!!!!!! Thanks for the advice.