PDA

View Full Version : New iMac and Leopard question..

sonichart
2006-10-09, 23:35
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new iMac Core 2 Duo with the following options:

2.16Ghz
2GB Ram
256MB Video

I'm guessing the 2GB of memory will be fine for Leopard, however, will the processor run Leopard smoothly? I typically try to buy the highest spec machine to future proof the system.

My main concern is that once Leopard is released, that my iMac will run it without a hitch and I won't be looking toward a hardware upgrade.

Thanks!

Shades of Blue
2006-10-09, 23:38
I'm guessing the 2GB of memory will be fine for Leopard, however, will the processor run Leopard smoothly? I typically try to buy the highest spec machine to future proof the system.

The way I've heard it, each subsequent version actually runs better on your existing hardware than the version before. So if you're satisfied with the way Tiger runs, Leopard should be even more satisfying.

Brad
2006-10-09, 23:50
What Shades of Blue has heard is generally correct.

Every major release of Mac OS X has had some substantial performance improvements when compared on the same hardware. Some of this has been due to simply better coding and more efficient compilers and some of it has been due to new technologies (like Quartz Extreme) that use the available hardware more efficiently.

I like to use my home desktop computer as a poster child of these improvements. I purchased this Power Mac G4 in 2000 before the first version of Mac OS X (or even its Public Beta) was released. The 10.0 release felt very slow compared to Mac OS 9 and I feared I'd have to upgrade my hardware soon if I wanted to keep up with the new OS, but each subsequent release has gotten faster and smoother and added years to the usable life of this machine. More than six years later, this Power Mac is still my primary home computer (even though I also have a 12" PowerBook and my wife has a new MacBook).

I expect 10.5 will run just as well as if not still better than 10.4 does on this Mac.

That you are getting a brand new iMac today (or soon) and are concerned about it not running the next OS release seems a bit silly by comparison to me. :) The current iMacs will probably be good until at least 2009 if not 2010 or 2011.

HezMah19
2006-10-09, 23:54
Everything that I have read indicate's that Leopard will be screamingly fast on that sort of hardware :)

It will be fine. Enjoy! :D

Edit: GAH! Beaten by Brad! Oh well, I think this is the 1st time...

steve77uk
2006-12-13, 15:55
What Shades of Blue has heard is generally correct.

Every major release of Mac OS X has had some substantial performance improvements when compared on the same hardware. Some of this has been due to simply better coding and more efficient compilers and some of it has been due to new technologies (like Quartz Extreme) that use the available hardware more efficiently.

I like to use my home desktop computer as a poster child of these improvements. I purchased this Power Mac G4 in 2000 before the first version of Mac OS X (or even its Public Beta) was released. The 10.0 release felt very slow compared to Mac OS 9 and I feared I'd have to upgrade my hardware soon if I wanted to keep up with the new OS, but each subsequent release has gotten faster and smoother and added years to the usable life of this machine. More than six years later, this Power Mac is still my primary home computer (even though I also have a 12" PowerBook and my wife has a new MacBook).

I expect 10.5 will run just as well as if not still better than 10.4 does on this Mac.

That you are getting a brand new iMac today (or soon) and are concerned about it not running the next OS release seems a bit silly by comparison to me. :) The current iMacs will probably be good until at least 2009 if not 2010 or 2011.

It is a shame that Mr Gates doesn't go down this road too!

I feel a lot more relaxed having a Mac now, and I for one am seriously looking into upgrading to Leopard when it comes out but the point I am making is that I don't feel I have to chase technology (like I use to on a PC), what I have got now works and hopefully will work the same if not better in a year or two (or three+) years time!

Saying that I did have an iMac G5 Rev B and have now got a 24" 2.33 iMac but only because my Mum and Dad wanted one (honest!) so took the opportunity to do a deal with them!!! but I don't see them needing to upgrade for a very long time! :lol:

Wyatt
2006-12-13, 16:26

I feel a lot more relaxed having a Mac now, and I for one am seriously looking into upgrading to Leopard when it comes out but the point I am making is that I don't feel I have to chase technology (like I use to on a PC), what I have got now works and hopefully will work the same if not better in a year or two (or three+) years time!

Saying that I did have an iMac G5 Rev B and have now got a 24" 2.33 iMac but only because my Mum and Dad wanted one (honest!) so took the opportunity to do a deal with them!!! but I don't see them needing to upgrade for a very long time! :lol:
Wow, sweet trade! I would love to have a 24" iMac.

Brad
2006-12-13, 16:36
Keep in mind, though, that a good part of why Mac OS X is getting more optimized and faster with each release is because the initial release was a clusterfuck of slow slow slow code. At least Windows typically isn't slow.

steve77uk
2006-12-14, 04:51
Keep in mind, though, that a good part of why Mac OS X is getting more optimized and faster with each release is because the initial release was a clusterfuck of slow slow slow code. At least Windows typically isn't slow.

How true that is... I also suppose (thinking about it) the optimisations come with a new release and not an incremental update which you have to pay to upgrade to get the performance...

Being new to Macs (well new-ish being a year and a half now) I am yet to see how the OS progresses, with Windows, there was quite a jump from 98 to XP and now from XP to Vista, yet going up the 10.1 - to 10.4 doesn't seem to be much, yet is slated as a major release which you have to pay for... However it sounds like Leopard will be a big update / transition...

I am probably going off topic now, just the thoughts of a rambling fool!!!

Anyway get an iMac - they're damn cool!:lol:

Brave Ulysses
2006-12-14, 13:23
How true that is... I also suppose (thinking about it) the optimisations come with a new release and not an incremental update which you have to pay to upgrade to get the performance...

Being new to Macs (well new-ish being a year and a half now) I am yet to see how the OS progresses, with Windows, there was quite a jump from 98 to XP and now from XP to Vista, yet going up the 10.1 - to 10.4 doesn't seem to be much, yet is slated as a major release which you have to pay for... However it sounds like Leopard will be a big update / transition...

uh.... 10.0 to 10.4 is almost as big a change in usability has OS 9 to 10.0 was.

2006-12-14, 13:53
I'd agree, except I think you've got the usability/unusability of 9 > 10.0 backwards (unless you're saying that 10.0 was the unuseable OS, then I'd fully agree).

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-12-14, 14:30

You must've gotten a copy with the debug symbols left in. ;) *ducks*

Ryan
2006-12-14, 15:08
I have Tiger running pretty well on an old 450Mhz G4 Cube, and I fully plan on upgrading it to Leopard when the time comes, along with a 1Ghz eMac and 867Mhz PowerBook.

Brave Ulysses
2006-12-14, 15:21

I'd agree, except I think you've got the usability/unusability of 9 > 10.0 backwards (unless you're saying that 10.0 was the unuseable OS, then I'd fully agree).

Yea, Usability was probably the wrong term unless you interpret in the opposite direction as you did.