PDA

View Full Version : iBook dead; need new laptop. Cheap options?

Dorian Gray
2006-10-14, 10:22
My iBook has come to the end of its life. It provided me with sterling service for two years, including countless nights running at 100% processor power. That said, I was a bit miffed that it died now, as I was planning to hold out until the summer. According to the Apple Store it needs both a logic board and a dc-in board. The technician also mentioned that the internal frame is distorted from an impact of some kind, which seems very likely considering the number of times the poor thing was dropped/hit/sat upon. I usually look after my things carefully but this computer had a tough life and abominable luck (e.g. being pulled off a window-sill by the power cord when someone pushed their chair back). Anyway, the cost of the parts and associated labour is a whopping £426.53. "In our opinion this would not be a cost effective repair." True, that! :lol: :(

At the moment I have very little spare cash but I really need a computer so I am interested in your opinion on what I should do, taking into account all the circumstances including the possibility of an updated MacBook in the near(?) future. I'm afraid to buy a used machine because if it breaks there is no way on earth I could afford to repair it if it needs a logic board or something similar. A new machine will have a waranty. On the other hand, used machines are cheaper (though still ridiculously expensive: two- and three-year-old iBook G4s are still fetching upwards of £400 on eBay, and that doesn't include the cost of postage and the inherent risk of eBay).

As a student I can get the low-end MacBook for £643.90. This includes a very useful three year guarantee. How does this compare to refurbished iBooks or 12-inch PowerBooks? In fact, where can I buy refurbished notebooks? I can't find the refurbished section of the online Apple Store. Are there other places to buy used Apple notebooks, or even new old-stock, with some kind of warranty? All advice appreciated.

Edit: to be clear, I live in the UK. With the weak dollar would it be worth buying in the States and paying shipping?

turbulentfurball
2006-10-14, 10:35
I can't find the refurbished section of the online Apple Store.

The refurbished store doesn't appear on the Apple Store for Education online. It's there if you go to the regular store.

Edit: The link is on the right hand side near the bottom. No MacBooks available at the moment, a few MBPs though.

MagSafe
2006-10-14, 10:42
Unlucky on the iBook dying mate :(, I've just bought a 2 year old one myself from eBay and it seems to be in perfect nick, passed the hardware test with flying colours so just upgraded it with an Airport Extreme, so i'm hoping it lasts me a couple of years or so as something to muck about on the internet on.

Anyways, the refurbishment section on the Apple Store is located here (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/6794042/wo/h31Bx7YHMXMw26FDK641po5D3JM/0.PSLID?mco=F43411&nclm=CertifiediPod). It's quite hard to notice as its at the very bottom at the right hand side of the Apple Store homepage.

Like I said the iBook I recently bought was from eBay where I managed to use the 'Best Offer' option and get it for £350, which I thought, and still think is a great deal instead of buying a brand new MacBook for more than double the price.

I would say check out the refurbishment section first as it would be much better to get one from Apple rather than eBay as it can be a bit risky these days. If you do opt for the eBay option be careful and make sure to contact the seller before you make any bids to get to know them a bit.

Oh, and theres always the option of ripping the iBook apart and replacing the parts yourself from buying them cheap off eBay ... if you were still wanting to hold out.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-14, 10:44
Not sure where you are abouts in the UK, but Gumtree can be very good, specially if you are in London. As long as you are careful about the listings, you can find some brilliant offers. The bigger cities are good, cambridge isnt quite so good.

Have a gander through these: http://www.gumtree.com/london/macs-for-sale_702_1.html

Another place to look out for is www.2ndchancepc.co.uk which sell macs, both recent and not so recent :D

turbulentfurball
2006-10-14, 10:51
MagSafe, links to the Apple Store won't work since the links are based on your timed session.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-14, 10:58
Dunno what your funds are like, but a sub 1000 mbp! - not bad. :)

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4512/picture2oz3.png

Dorian Gray
2006-10-14, 11:09
turbulentfurball, thanks for the heads-up on the refurbished store. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days, see what pops up. Perhaps they'll even have something tasty like an iBook G4 at 50% off! :cancer:

MagSafe, you're right that you can get good deals on eBay, but I am a complete and utter eBay virgin with no account: never bought or sold anything there. And like I said, money is tight at the moment so I really can't afford to take any chances with half a grand or so. I might still consider finding parts (but finding a cheap working logic board might be tough). A bit put off by the thought of opening up my iBook again but I'll keep the idea in mind.

Farenheit: Gumtree, great idea, I'm in London but had completely forgot about that site! But my housemate bought an oldish Toshiba notebook for £280 from Gumtree which worked fine for about two weeks then died completely (required a motherboard like my iBook, at a cost of over £300). I don't think the seller was dishonest, but the risk of the notebook dying is one I can't afford to take unless it's ridiculously cheap in the first place. This iBook (http://www.gumtree.com/london/99/6214599.html) sounds like its being sold by an honest guy. Hmm... I'll think this over. As for funds, when I say tight, I mean tight! Our Scottish friends above seem to have understood better. ;) I don't even think I have £1000 in my account and I have to live and pay rent. But yes, that MBP is a very nice deal. Hilarious to see that people turn their noses up at the 1.83 GHz processor when the difference between it and the 2.0 GHz version is negligible.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-14, 11:14
As for funds, when I say tight, I mean tight! Our Scottish friends above seem to have understood better. Thats cos they have to pay for all-year round heating. :p

Yes and that iBook does look like a good deal. But be aware that for about 80 pounds extra you could be verging onto MacBook territory, (http://www.gumtree.com/london/43/6194843.html) something that would make a large difference to the experience. I agree, definitely one to mull.

MagSafe
2006-10-14, 16:20
Thats cos they have to pay for all-year round heating. :p

So true :p

...What with all this global warming it doesn't look like we'll have too for much longer :p

Kraetos
2006-10-14, 21:10
Edit: to be clear, I live in the UK. With the weak dollar would it be worth buying in the States and paying shipping?

No... although you pay a lot more for your Macs, the dollar doesn't suck that much yet ;). A NEW SuperDrive 2.0 MacBook with a student discount and 1 gig RAM costs us $1,289, which is £695 after conversion. But, shipping is gonna cost $300 USD (about £160) so you would about break even.

Yeah, the dollar is shitty (I went to London last summer and the conversion was killer) but we don't suck that much ;)

MagSafe
2006-10-15, 04:42
Plus you would have to pay a huge amount of tax on that as well, so no way would it be worth it.

AsLan^
2006-10-15, 05:33
Is it possible to sign out a computer from your university's computer lab until you have enough to comfortably afford a new MacBook?

Perhaps if you explained your extenuating circumstances they might be willing to help you out.

MSFT
2006-10-15, 12:13
We're still the most powerful currency, thank you very much.

MBHockey
2006-10-15, 13:33
Hey Dorian, i am looking to sell my 15" titanium powerbook since i just got a new intel iMac. I'd rather sell it to other forum members than some random person on eBay. I sent you a PM, let me know if you are interested.

Dorian Gray
2006-10-16, 09:38
AsLan^, I very much doubt my university offers laptops to anyone, but I'll check.

We're [sic] still the most powerful currency, thank you very much.
:lol: Let me apologise unreservedly for insulting you. If I had only known there were currencies lurking on the forums I would have used more sensitive language to describe them!

MBHockey, I replied to your PM.

I'll let everyone know if/when I make up my mind.

AWR
2006-10-16, 09:44
Sorry to hear that, DG. :(

What about a student loan? I know ya'll are not so gung ho about going light years into debt as students, but if you can get a decent loan (i.e., low or no rate), it might be worth splurging a bit now while reaping the benfits over the next 5 years.

Sure you'll pay more for it, but you'll get a lot of fun and solid use out of it too. Think of it as an investment!! :)

The Mind
2006-10-16, 11:42
Hi Dorian

Try www.2ndchancepc.co.uk - They have some very good refurb stuff. If you dont need speed they have a 500mhz ibook duel usb for £250.

Hope this helps

Steve

Fahrenheit
2006-10-16, 11:46
Hi Dorian

Try www.2ndchancepc.co.uk - They have some very good refurb stuff. If you dont need speed they have a 500mhz ibook duel usb for £250.

Hope this helps

Steve

Garh! Said that earlier! ;)

Although it is a good QFT. 2ndchancepc do have some good deals and I am fortunate enough to be able to go and see them as I live near the offices. Beware of VAT though.

The Mind
2006-10-16, 11:58
Sorry - serves me right for not reading the full thread.

Steve