PDA

View Full Version : 8-Person Law Firm & Mac

MSFT
2006-10-15, 16:03
Recently, I’ve had a small business client of mine ask me whether he should keep using Windows or switch to Mac when he purchases new computers in March of 2007. When he first asked, I said that I stand by Windows, but that I’d check into what OS X truly has to offer in a law environment.

When I went to the Apple store I was impressed at the various features built into Mac, such as Open Directory, standard disk imaging program, and UNIX core.

Since I’m not the greatest with the specs of OS X, I’d like to get everyone’s opinion from here on what they think about this situation. The office really only uses Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, QuickBooks, FileMaker Pro, and an Immigration software program called ImmForms (but I’ve already found an equivalent to this program).

Also, if anyone has any experience with Open Directory, I’d like to know how the setup of a network directory compares to Active Directory and if there's a similar Group Policy management tool.

Fahrenheit
2006-10-15, 17:26
I Should imagine with most of the software you have described there would be no problems. If the occasion does arise for an XP app to be needed, you can just Boot Camp it up! :)

staph
2006-10-15, 17:39
You might want to check out afp548 (http://www.afp548.com). They have some really excellent technical articles from a sysadmin's point of view which might help you out.

I can't help personally, I've never had to deal with Open Directory.

MSFT
2006-10-15, 19:16
Thanks for the link. It provided some great insite on this situation.

Also, if they did go Mac I'd want to try and avoid Boot Camp. After all, that's the reason they would leave the PC, right?

Wyatt
2006-10-15, 19:17
Thanks for the link. It provided some great insite on this situation.

Also, if they did go Mac I'd want to try and avoid Boot Camp. After all, that's the reason they would leave the PC, right?
Boot Camp is a good option for individual users, but for running a single app in an enterprise situation, Parallels is a better option. That way you can run XP without having to reboot just to use one application.

Schnauzer
2006-10-15, 19:33
After all, that's the reason they would leave the PC, right?

Better hardware also....

alcimedes
2006-10-15, 19:39
So they don't use Word Perfect at all?

MSFT
2006-10-15, 20:05
So they don't use Word Perfect at all?

Although they used to back in the early '90s, I switched them to Word. So yes, they do not.

AWR
2006-10-16, 05:00
Hey there.

I wonder if you have come across this site yet.

http://www.macattorney.com/

Been looking for a law office software application that would make practicing law much easier? Trying to convince the senior partner to computerize the firm with easy-to-use Macintoshes? Tired of being told by Windows users that there is no law office software available for the Macintosh? Then this site is for you! There are actually a large number of excellent software tools for law office use written for the Macintosh. These software tools tend to be superior to those available for Windows.

It looks like there are some nice products out there for lawyers using Macs.

snelson
2006-10-17, 11:35
Also, check the apple site re attorneys using macs. They just did a feature on a Houston attorney who uses Mac's exclusively. If they do not use WordPerfect, there is really not anything they can't run on a mac.

As an attorney who used a mac all through law school, then switched to wiundows because I thought I had to, I strongly recommend macs. In fact, as soon as the Core 2 goes in the MBP, I'm all over it. Macs just run better in my experience.

MSFT
2006-10-17, 21:21
Thanks for everyone's input. You've made me able to present a strong and fair case when my client asks which one to go with!

iFerret
2006-10-20, 19:29
My Apple Sales Course had a similar scenario- it suggested Mac mini's- cheap, and the old displays etc can be used.

I'd agree- go with Mac, go with the mini.

Bryson
2006-10-21, 05:29
I spotted this on the Apple site the other day, too:

http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/mmmb/

Might be useful...