PDA

View Full Version : New Mini to replace G5?

Yonzie
2006-10-16, 20:22
I'm thinking seriously about replacing my G5 with a Mac Mini.
The price of the Mini is comparable to the money I expect to receive for the G5 so the exchange will be virtually free...
I'm specifically thinking of the 1.83Ghz model with 2GB of RAM and a 100GB 7200RPM drive.

Mac Mini niceties:
x86
Upgradeable to C2D
WAY smaller.
(Almost) noiseless (not that the G5 is *noisy*, it's just not *really* quiet either ;))
About the same speed as the G5
Front Row remote :cancer:

G5 niceties:
Dual monitor capable (not really an issue with a Dell 2405, but I'm an whore for upgradeability)
Faster graphics card (maybe?)

... not much nice about the G5, I know. That's the point. Did I forget something crucial? Should I do it?

rasmits
2006-10-16, 20:23
Faster graphics card (maybe?)I don't know much, but I can almost guarantee that the PowerMac has a much better video card.

Yonzie
2006-10-16, 20:37
I don't know much, but I can almost guarantee that the PowerMac has a much better video card. Yes (it's a 9650/256MB btw), however, I'm not sure if it will make a difference IRL. The most graphically intensive "work" I do is watching a movie, scrolling through iPhoto/iTunes or playing N (http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/n.html).

rasmits
2006-10-16, 20:40
Yes (it's a 9650/256MB btw), however, I'm not sure if it will make a difference IRL. The most graphically intensive "work" I do is watching a movie, scrolling through iPhoto/iTunes or playing N (http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/n.html).If that's really the most graphically intensive work you do, then I don't think the lack of a dedicated video card would be any sort of a problem for you.

Where it will make a difference is with 3D intensive apps.

Yonzie
2006-10-17, 09:08
Hmm... And Core Animation won't be a problem either? I was also thinking to maybe get Aperture (nice student rebate)

Wyatt
2006-10-17, 09:11
Aperture should run fine, with enough RAM (you said you'd get 2GB, so you'd be fine). Core Animation should be fine as well.

Jerman
2006-10-17, 09:24
I just got a Mini and am loving it. But I would definitely be on the other side, and want the G5 over the Mini. But perhaps that is because I would like more expandibility and better graphics. That is not to say I am disappointed, as a tower is a completely different beast. For your needs, the mini should be more than adequate. With 2 gigs of ram, I am finding that this thing flies!

Wyatt
2006-10-17, 09:28
I just got a Mini and am loving it. But I would definitely be on the other side, and want the G5 over the Mini. But perhaps that is because I would like more expandibility and better graphics. That is not to say I am disappointed, as a tower is a completely different beast. For your needs, the mini should be more than adequate. With 2 gigs of ram, I am finding that this thing flies!
Jerman, didn't you get the Core Solo model?

torifile
2006-10-17, 09:39
I'm an whore for upgradeability
There's your answer right there. Unless your reasons for the mini trump your stated whorish tendencies, it's a show stopper.

Jerman
2006-10-17, 13:00
Jerman, didn't you get the Core Solo model?

Good catch. :) Yes I did, and it still is extremely fast. I will be dropping in a new processor around Decemer/January though. I love the upgradibility, but the two large hits against this is the lack of storage, and the graphics to me.But with gigait ethernet, I am holding out okay, accessing most of my files from my G4 I am running as a server. So for the price I am sticking with this. :)

Yonzie
2006-10-18, 12:48
Thanks guys, guess I'll do it then :D