PDA

View Full Version : I switched my friend!

almost2mac
2006-10-16, 21:16
My best friend is a hardcore tech geek, he has *never* had a system that he didn't cobble together himself. His current PC was having some issues where if it was turned off it wouldn't restart and he was ready for a new one (I think he had some malware and might have been running an illegal copy of XP because he didn't want to do updates...which is bad.)

He kind of liked my iMac but didnt' like the fact that it wasn't upgradeable. I told him how Macs are all about music and video, and he researched pro-tools.

He surprised me the other day by asking me to go with him to the Mac store. (My god...I want to hump the 30" ACD, and the 24" iMac is HUUUGE!)

He came home with a MacPro and a free printer (after rebate). Apparently what got him was when the employee flips the switch in the back and the side drops open. We had him at 'drive sleds'.

So far it's worked great, and he was able to crank up every single setting in the OSX version of WoW - flew into Ironforge with only one tiny little graphic stutter.

Only bad thing was when we did the software update, the MacPro restarted and hung at the gear for like 35 minutes. I was a little afraid to say "let's just reboot" and we called tech support. We've both been tech support people at some point in our careers, and he said the guy was amazingly nice, and walked him through permission repaired and checked everything out even though the menu had misinterpreted "mac pro" and sent us to the "macbook" department.

He's loath to buy a real copy of XP, but last I hear he's like, "let me try living with this and see if I *need* xp." He's got a lot of windows games, so we'll see what happens.

billybobsky
2006-10-16, 21:23
Congrats!

I guess... I mean can one friend really be better than another one? How do you ever make a decision like that? I surely couldn't. Are we actually limited in the number of friends we have?

Oh, wait, you mean you "Switched" your friend.... riiggght...

torifile
2006-10-16, 21:25
My god...I want to hump the 30" ACD
:err: Really? That's kinda sick. ;)

almost2mac
2006-10-16, 21:32
Well...he's the friend I talk to the most. We're not like "BFF4L" or anything...we talk about manly stuff ... like ... video cards ... and ... magic ... the gathering....uh...

I'd sooner hump the 30" Cinema Display though :)

FFL
2006-10-16, 22:01
:lol:

Wyatt
2006-10-17, 09:14
Congrats!

I guess... I mean can one friend really be better than another one? How do you ever make a decision like that? I surely couldn't. Are we actually limited in the number of friends we have?

Oh, wait, you mean you "Switched" your friend.... riiggght...
:lol:

Banana
2006-10-17, 09:20
I switched my friend!

Fair weather friend, are we? Don't be surprised if they stab you in back... ;) :p

Seriously, congrats. :)

dmegatool
2006-10-17, 09:56
He's got a lot of windows games, so we'll see what happens.

I'm a switcher and that's what keeping me use XP. 3DSMax too. I hope parallel with include 3D hardware support soon so I can work in 3dsmax, play my games and not be forced to reboot everytime. Since CS3 isn't out too, adobe products run faster in XP so until cs3, I will propably continu to spend most of my time in XP.

Windswept
2006-10-18, 17:21
Only bad thing was when we did the software update, the MacPro restarted and hung at the gear for like 35 minutes. I was a little afraid to say "let's just reboot" and we called tech support.

We've both been tech support people at some point in our careers, and he said the guy was amazingly nice, and walked him through permission repaired and checked everything out even though the menu had misinterpreted "mac pro" and sent us to the "macbook" department.

So what did the problem turn out to be then?

I presume everything got squared away and that all is now working fine?

After some time has passed, maybe a couple of weeks, I'd sure like to hear how your friend is liking his new MacPro.

Yeah, the Apple tech guys are incredibly nice. I've dealt with two, and they were both completely patient and easygoing. I wonder where they 'find' these guys! :) ;)

chucker
2006-10-18, 17:22
:err: Really? That's kinda sick. ;)

It does have ports…

turbulentfurball
2006-10-18, 17:26
It does have ports…

Female ones too! The cables have male for those of that persuasion. The ACD is much sexier though! :D

Dr. Gruv
2006-10-19, 14:28
i switched my friend also - his old pc had so many viruses it wouldn't boot even when taken apart and the bios played with....

his only drag is wmf - flip4mac doesn't convert all of his online movies

kind if a pain for him...

BarracksSi
2006-10-19, 16:04
The heck with Flip4Mac -- I use Windows Media Player to actually watch wmv files, and convert them with iSquint if I want to keep them to use in iTunes and on my iPod.