PDA

View Full Version : New music-creation goodies from Apple released!

psmith2.0
2004-09-29, 08:23
Finally, after 29 days, Apple's homepage is showing something other than the iMac G5 on the baby blue background!

http://www.apple.com

Logic Pro 7, Logic Express 7 and two new GarageBand Jam Pack collections!

Discuss, debate, etc.

chucker
2004-09-29, 08:28
What happened to emagic's hardware line?

Wrao
2004-09-29, 08:52
I'm stoked about those new jam packs, the one thing I wanted was more drums and percussion, and now I can get more drums and percussion. although, getting all these jampacks is making the economical GB a lot less economical $350 for the program+3 jampacks...yeesh.

Moogs
2004-09-29, 09:51
FOILED! Thought I might've gotten the first crack at the thread. Music gurus will be thrilled me thinks....

Gizzer
2004-09-29, 10:43
Would you think it's fair to say that the rumoured Pro Band is in fact Logic Express? The complete integration with Garageband + Apple loops/Jam Packs etc would seem to suggest so....

Moogs
2004-09-29, 11:02
Yes. That's my take. It would make very little sense for Apple - from a product matrix and consumer understanding POV - to introduce a fourth music creation app (fifth really if you include Soundtrack) into their mix. There's already a bit too much overlap IMO but Logic 7 Express looks really nice.

Xaqtly
2004-09-29, 12:22
Yeah I'm gonna buy Logic Express real soon. And both those Jam Packs... *sigh*. Logic Express makes me happy in my special place though. As long as they've sufficiently "Apple-ized" the interface to be usable, instead of frustratingly vague and needlessly complex like Logic 6, it's a winner. I have a couple GarageBand projects right now that would definitely be better suited for Express.

Wrao
2004-09-29, 12:42
Would you think it's fair to say that the rumoured Pro Band is in fact Logic Express? The complete integration with Garageband + Apple loops/Jam Packs etc would seem to suggest so....

I still think that when apple updates iLife again, the next major revision of GB will kick it up a notch and really raise the bar. Apple's known to do that.

Brad
2004-09-29, 13:34
I still think that when apple updates iLife again, the next major revision of GB will kick it up a notch and really raise the bar. Apple's known to do that.Apple is also known for introducing great apps and then letting them stagnate forever without updates.

Recently, we have Keynote, iChat, and of course AppleWorks in that category. OOOH BUT TIGER iChat CAN NOW CONFERENCE WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON. Whoop-dee-frickin-doo. So, Apple took a feature than only a small number of us use and expanded it to a feature that an even smaller number of people will use. Wow. QuickTime fits in this category, too, as it hasn't had a major overhaul in years. Tiger is actually supposed to bring some upgrades in that arena, though.

Please excuse my cynicism, but I have this sneaky suspicion that GarageBand is going one of those "wow factor" apps that makes a huge splash upon release and then just sits idly by...

Luca
2004-09-29, 13:43
Well, except that it's part of iLife. Apple doesn't want one of their iLife apps to stagnate while the rest are updated. They've already committed to the "iLife '04" naming scheme, so next year we'll see iLife '05. They won't ship iLife '05 with iMovie 5, iTunes 5, iPhoto 5, iDVD 5, and the same old version of Garage Band that they released months ago. Leaving GB the same would make a lot of people not want to buy the suite, and making it a standalone software product would be even worse since they already have Soundtrack and now Logic Express.

They tend to let their stand-alone applications stagnante. Keynote, iChat, Safari, AppleWorks, and Soundtrack are all good examples of this. Isn't Final Cut Express also about due for an update? I think it's been out nearly two years, with just one update so far.

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-09-29, 14:02
Yea, I just bought FCE 2.0 with my new iMac so an update should be right around the corner. That's what happened last year when I bought FCE 1.0 with my PowerBook. :)

Moogs
2004-09-29, 14:04
I would be amazed - given its incredible popularity - if Garageband didn't receive a significant update with iLife 05. My biggest beef with the suite is iDVD and its interface inconsistencies with the rest of the suite, and the sluggish performance of iMovie. If they can rectify those two things and add a nice update for GB, I'll gladly foot the bill...

Messiahtosh
2004-09-29, 14:54
I would be amazed - given its incredible popularity - if Garageband didn't receive a significant update with iLife 05. My biggest beef with the suite is iDVD and its interface inconsistencies with the rest of the suite, and the sluggish performance of iMovie. If they can rectify those two things and add a nice update for GB, I'll gladly foot the bill...Totally agreed.

sunrain
2004-09-29, 14:58
FOILED! Thought I might've gotten the first crack at the thread. Music gurus will be thrilled me thinks....

*raises hand* I'm completely thrilled.

...and broke now that I've ordered it. Um, 'it' being Logic Pro 7.

Moogs
2004-09-29, 15:02
Congrats. Let us now how it is once you get it... the Apple-fied interface looks very nice on both apps. Certainly better than what eMagic had offered with earlier variants.

sunrain
2004-09-29, 15:08
Congrats. Let us now how it is once you get it... the Apple-fied interface looks very nice on both apps. Certainly better than what eMagic had offered with earlier variants.

I will indeed.

Anyone notice that the emagic site now just refers to Apple's?

BuonRotto
2004-09-29, 15:15
OOOH BUT TIGER iChat CAN NOW CONFERENCE WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON. ...QuickTime fits in this category, too, as it hasn't had a major overhaul in years. Tiger is actually supposed to bring some upgrades in that arena, though.

Well, iChat will also inherit the new H.264 codec, which I guess isn't quite feature-creep, but a good improvement anyways. Plus QT is getting a MAJOR overhaul in Tiger, especially under the hood. I mean, some changes are more apparent than others, but can be just as significant. I expect GB to fall into that category, save some shortcomings and added features inspired by Logic's feature set.

sunrain
2004-09-29, 16:54
Distributed Audio sounds very cool. I'll be interested to try that out.

http://www.apple.com/logic/distributedaudio.html

autodata
2004-09-29, 17:43
Seems like kind of a boring update. I certainly expected more. The distributed processing is nice, but it's kind of late. That shit was needed a couple years ago far more than it is now. I'll stick with pro 6 unless there's some great new feature I haven't found out about yet.

Barto
2004-09-29, 18:44
Damn you Apple! Logic 7 Express + the three Jam Packs comes to almost one thousand aussie dollars!

I'm trying to be responsible with money, but Apple is making it so very hard :o

Moogs
2004-09-29, 18:48
Jam Packs 2 and 3 look to be a bit more useful than the first if you're talking more modern sounding music. I think LE7 comes with tons of loops to start with (probably more than GB).

Wrao
2004-09-29, 19:14
Jam Packs 2 and 3 look to be a bit more useful than the first if you're talking more modern sounding music. I think LE7 comes with tons of loops to start with (probably more than GB).

Man, I should probably consider using loops more, after I get these jampacks and logic express I'll have nearly 10,000 loops! :p

Moogs
2004-09-29, 20:58
Who needs Midi when you got Apple Loops, eh? ;)

hmurchison
2004-09-30, 00:28
Seems like kind of a boring update. I certainly expected more. The distributed processing is nice, but it's kind of late. That shit was needed a couple years ago far more than it is now. I'll stick with pro 6 unless there's some great new feature I haven't found out about yet.

Other than Plugin Delay Compensation(which doesn't seem to be there) what exactly where you hoping for? I disagree with your assertion that Distributed Computing was needed a couple of years ago. Convolution reverbs take a lot of power and they are just now getting popular. Plugins always require work to keep processing load down. Waveburner Pro is included as well as Sculpture, Ultrabeat, Guitar Amp and EMF1. Apple Loops support is very nice and oft requested. The UI should be more cohesive and there are plenty of import/export options and global settings that should make your life easier. If you're doing anything beyond just hobbyist music making I can't see why you wouldn't look at these tools as a productivity enhancer.

I can't wait until I'm running Logic Pro and Final Cut on my computer. I really should be able to do some cool things. I'm definitely excited. Finally L7 is here.

scratt
2004-09-30, 00:45
They tend to let their stand-alone applications stagnante. Keynote, iChat, Safari, AppleWorks, and Soundtrack are all good examples of this. Isn't Final Cut Express also about due for an update? I think it's been out nearly two years, with just one update so far.

I think the logical way forward it to combine GB and Logic Express.. and make it one product. Don't know how this will affect GB's name and iLife.. Logic Express is also at present too expensive to just bundle with iLife.

Perhaps Soundtrack will go and Logic will be combined with Final Cut. Leaving GB and Express as two more stages to a three tier product range?

Xaqtly
2004-09-30, 01:08
I ordered Logic Express today, along with Jam Pack 3. Jam pack 3 already shipped, and Logic Express won't ship till the end of October. *sigh*. :no:

Oh well. I'll file a report here when I get it.

Mac+
2004-09-30, 01:15
I personally agree with scratt on the amalgamation of GB and Logic Express - or the retirement of Soundtrack - if not for the simplification of the product line, then at least to have the iapps exist as iapps. (how they let GB as a name fly, I don't know :rolleyes: )

On a more serious note, though - there now seems to be quite a bit of overlap between GB, Logic Express and Soundtrack. Granted, there are degrees of features offered within each program to appeal to a certain price point, but to my untrained eye (I own none of these apps) I think Apple could afford to trim one of them.

For video for instance, you have: iMovie, Final Cut Express then Final Cut Pro - musically it could be GB (different name - please!), Logic Express then Logic Pro.

If somebody can fill me in on the usefulness of Soundtrack now - with the present audio-software offerings from Apple, I'd be happy to learn how it fits into their product matrix.

Mac+
2004-09-30, 01:44
Who needs Midi when you got Apple Loops, eh? ;)
Moogs - to an old-timer such as myself, MIDI offers intricate scope to edit performance data (as opposed to audio clips) that simple loop editing cannot accomplish. For example, MIDI can control when the sostenuto pedal on a piano is depressed and when it is released, how much pitch bend is applied to a single note and how much aftertouch data is used to alter the sonic characteristics of a note or phrase.

Also, by making use of MIDI - you are not constrained to the "audio palette" provided by your local loop provider. You can play your MIDI instrument as you see fit and layer some of your personality and sound sources onto your tracks. :cool:

(Granted you can also record audio tracks the same way - but there is something to be said for recording your own wailing solo and then altering an incorrect note or the amount of pitchbend - something that is not quite as easy to do to an audio track alone.)

scratt
2004-09-30, 01:56
For video for instance, you have: iMovie, Final Cut Express then Final Cut Pro - musically it could be GB (different name - please!), Logic Express then Logic Pro.

I agree on the GB name thing. Just gives me images of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in their respective garages with long hair and half beards way back when! Hilarious! :lol:

A pairing of Logic Express and Final Cut Express would make a nice low end package to compliment the High end package Apple already offers. I think we wil se this happen.

Then Logic and Final Cut Pro seems the next logical pairing.

That leaves GB - The name will probably stay, but wouldn't it be nice to call it Logic Lite, or some such and tie it all up.

Soundtrack is a nice package. I don't use it regularly but would be sad to see it go because I have integrated it into certain workflows.. but if one has to go I think it will be that one. IMHO :D

Xaqtly
2004-09-30, 03:11
From what I can see in the screenshots of Logic Express, GarageBand still looks vastly simpler from an interface perspective. Apple will probably still want something anybody, even the non-musical types, can noodle around with - and GarageBand is it. Logic Express seems to still have a Logic interface, with some Apple-isms thrown in, like the transport bar. More powerful, but more complex.

Mac+
2004-09-30, 03:28
What does Soundtrack do that Logic Express can't? :confused:
Do these two apps have significant overlap - or am I missing something here? :confused:

scratt
2004-09-30, 03:28
From what I can see in the screenshots of Logic Express, GarageBand still looks vastly simpler from an interface perspective. Apple will probably still want something anybody, even the non-musical types, can noodle around with - and GarageBand is it. Logic Express seems to still have a Logic interface, with some Apple-isms thrown in, like the transport bar. More powerful, but more complex.

Agreed. So that does tend to suggest if something is going to get dropped it will be Soundtrack. I cannot see it getting revisions very often at best.

Mac+
2004-09-30, 03:33
... also - and note the, how would you say, "coincidental timing" - motu have just announced dp4.5 and updated their website! link (http://www.motu.com) :D

scratt
2004-09-30, 03:37
... also - and note the, how would you say, "coincidental timing" - motu have just announced dp4.5 and updated their website! link (http://www.motu.com) :D

I just tried that...

Did it look that Apple-esque before!?!?

Anyway, the funny thing was that simply going to www.motu.com gave me their web page with a 404Error!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lovelly!

EDIT - Just tried it with a proxy I have in the US and it worked fine. Must be our wonderful caching in Thailand! :no:

hmurchison
2004-09-30, 03:44
Folks things are fine the way they are.

Garageband is simple and a way to get people dinking around with music.

Logic Express is for the person that wants to handle more input(12) channels and have better midi handling in addition to loop support but doesn't need the extensive features of Logic Pro

Logic Pro is for people running studios or people needing the very best of Midi/Audio and effects/synths.

Soundtrack is aimed at the non-musician, comes with 4x(4000) the Apple Loops and offers features that sync it to video a bit better. Soundtrack is not replaced by Logic Express in fact I expect when Soundtrack 2 ships it becomes even easier to create soundtracks. What Apple needs now is a way to control the loops even better so that you can tailor the music to the video.

sunrain
2004-09-30, 03:49
Yup. What murch said. Yup.

Mac+
2004-09-30, 04:21
Thanks hmurch. - I was waiting for you to chime in with some info on this. :)

Would Logic Pro handle the sync to video features that Soundtrack currently has over Logic Express? I can understand how Soundtrack may be geared to creative professionals (as opposed to music professionals), but it just seems that there is overlap between Soundtrack and one of the other versions of Logic.

[application name rant] Also, I can appreciate that GB is a simple introductory app for those who want to tinker with music - in the same way that iMovie can lead to FCE ... but, uurrgh - why not call it iRock :err: or something i-based? GB as a name sucks! :p [/application name rant]

Oh and btw - have you tried Live? Would the Live way of handling loops help in the tailoring of music to video in the way you hope for?

sunrain
2004-09-30, 04:53
I can understand how Soundtrack may be geared to creative professionals (as opposed to music professionals)...

I'm going to have to take exception to the idea that musicians aren't creative professionals. ;) :D

scratt
2004-09-30, 05:11
I'm going to have to take exception to the idea that musicians aren't creative professionals. ;) :D :lol:

Aw c'mon we are pissheads! :lol: :lol: :smokey:

Moogs
2004-09-30, 08:39
Creative assholes I think is the term used for most musicians.... the ego and all that. Occasionally, fashion photographers also earn the same title in art circles. :D

sunrain
2004-09-30, 09:11
Creative assholes I think is the term used for most musicians.... the ego and all that. Occasionally, fashion photographers also earn the same title in art circles. :D

If you don't think a director fits into that same category, you've never met one...

Moogs
2004-09-30, 09:30
No doubt... I'm just taking an earlier comment and making a sarcastic joke from it. I don't at all believe musicians are more asshole-like than artists from other mediums (or those who help produce their art). In fact probably less.

If you include the acting medium (which also has Directors(and many other assholes)), then way, WAY less. :)

I will provide a graphic shortly to aid in ascertaining the propensity of assholedness in any given artistic group..

autodata
2004-09-30, 10:06
For the record, before I say anything else, I do think it is worth the upgrade. The drag and drop on the exs and arrange shuffle were much needed. I just don't know if it's worth it to me when I have a big ass amazon wish list calling me and already have pro 6.
Other than Plugin Delay Compensation(which doesn't seem to be there) what exactly where you hoping for? I disagree with your assertion that Distributed Computing was needed a couple of years ago. Convolution reverbs take a lot of power and they are just now getting popular. Plugins always require work to keep processing load down. Waveburner Pro is included as well as Sculpture, Ultrabeat, Guitar Amp and EMF1. Apple Loops support is very nice and oft requested. The UI should be more cohesive and there are plenty of import/export options and global settings that should make your life easier. If you're doing anything beyond just hobbyist music making I can't see why you wouldn't look at these tools as a productivity enhancer.
I live in a city surrounded by musicians and studios, everyone and their mother has a record label and my circle of close friends includes people that make music or do sound engineering for audio heard by millions of people a day, radio (NPR), TV (soaps) and, of course, recorded music. As someone who has made money off music, I still have no idea where hobby ends and pro starts. There's a reason that music listservs periodically have the "I'm 30 and need to get a real job" posts by "pros," some of them scraping by off of old hits.

Anyway, until about three or 4 years ago most artists in the scenes I've travelled through were stuck in the studio. We all got hard-ons for minor speed bumps because even a jump of 25-50 Mhz meant a whole new ceiling. Cards were the hugest deal in the world and every listserv and forum was filled with "how do I cluster my machines."

These days, I can run 15 exs24s, some es#'s, a number of synths all with plugs + the audio tracks on an almost 2 yo laptop. There are bottlenecks, like the disk, but I'm not really desperately hurting for room and forced into constant work-arounds the way I was in the past. No doubt this new feature is a good thing that is unquestionably needed. Apple sees the benefit in that it will help them sell more machines. But it just isn't that great anymore.

also compare this release of logic with the jump from 3-4 or 4-5 or even 5-6 (which was itself already a sign of things slowing down). Some really cool changes could have been made to the workflow in logic, and I kind of expected apple to make these changes, but instead we just get a couple new features and synths tacked on to the same old program. And, from what I can see glancing at it, the new synths seem to be making the release look better than it is.

I don't mean to be a downer. I'm just disappointed. After all, it's just the opinion of a long-time logic user that expected more from the first all-apple release. I mean, it looks like they barely changed the interface! What happened to the great new clean grey interface they were showing off at NAMM? :(

And still with the dongle :no: If they had gotten rid of that I would upgrade in a heartbeat.

Moogs
2004-09-30, 10:18
Here you go everyone... very clearly shows where musicians fall on the index. Of course, I may be somewhat biased with my placements, but I'm pretty sure the curve is correct. :D

.Mac Photo Albums suck because they don't generate URLs (http://homepage.mac.com/themoogs/PhotoAlbum7.html)

Mac+
2004-09-30, 10:30
:lol: ^ nice work Moogs - can't you link that as an image directly onto your post though?

sunrain
2004-09-30, 13:47
Here you go everyone... very clearly shows where musicians fall on the index. Of course, I may be somewhat biased with my placements, but I'm pretty sure the curve is correct. :D

.Mac Photo Albums suck because they don't generate URLs (http://homepage.mac.com/themoogs/PhotoAlbum7.html)

Here you go.

http://homepage.mac.com/themoogs/.Pictures/Aholeindex.gif

I feel much better now that I have a explanatory graph of your views. :lol:

hmurchison
2004-09-30, 14:22
Mac+ I agree with you. Soundtrack and Logic Express are a bit too close. Yeah Soundtrack doesn't support the input of audio or the midi handling as well as LE but it does handle FCP markers and other video features better. Logic Pro 7 is going to be very nice for dealing with video though as it now support AAF(Advanced Authoring Format I believe) a popular interchange format and XML to Final Cut Pro. I think for those savvy with sequencing and recording LP7 is "the" product to get for scoring. Soundtrack will still work for quick n dirty or non-musicians. Soundtrack+LE might work for the intermediate user that wants more sequenced music in their score. Should be nifty to see how people start using these apps together.

I just don't know if it's worth it to me when I have a big ass amazon wish list calling me and already have pro 6.

autodata LOL you too! That Amazon wishlist is dangerous. I agree with you. If you're fine with LP6 then you might as well hold out until like LP 7.5 or LP8.

I don't mean to be a downer. I'm just disappointed. After all, it's just the opinion of a long-time logic user that expected more from the first all-apple release. I mean, it looks like they barely changed the interface! What happened to the great new clean grey interface they were showing off at NAMM?

Oh no worries. I just wanted to hear from you about what you'd like to see. I would have liked Plugin Delay Compensation because that's so important for people with Powercores(hopefully me someday soon). The UI doesn't really look all that different to me. Apple is keeping the pics kind of small so I wonder what's going on here. Distributed Processing is cool but I don't think DP really can take off until you see Apple "Node Controllers" simple rackmount processing stations with G5/HD/Gigabit and RAM. No imagine if you could get this for $699 a controller or 1499 for a quad core controller. Then we're talking. Xserves are far too expensive to think er dream about a rack doing DP.

Moogs great pic and so true!

BuonRotto
2004-09-30, 14:34
For the record, we architects call the ones at the top of the assholeometer "inferior dececrators." Are we off the scale or what!

Moogs
2004-09-30, 16:52
I wasn't going to say anything, but now that you mention it.... :D

Mac+
2004-09-30, 20:55
hmurch. - I know you are a logic user, but dp 4.5 was released with plug-in compensation and a few other goodies. It won't be anything to make you switch DAW I realise, but you might be interested to have a read up on it at the newly developed (and somewhat buggy :rolleyes: ) motu site.

hmurchison
2004-09-30, 21:32
hmurch. - I know you are a logic user, but dp 4.5 was released with plug-in compensation and a few other goodies. It won't be anything to make you switch DAW I realise, but you might be interested to have a read up on it at the newly developed (and somewhat buggy :rolleyes: ) motu site.

Actually I haven't used Logic before. I'm going to be a newbie but I've been eyeing the Mac DAWs for sometime now. You know honestly if I wasn't going to be running Final Cut Pro I'd seriously be looking at MOTU's dp 4.5. They have all the "goodies" you'd want and now they have "beat detective" like features from ProTools and PDC. Not too shabby. I'm however banking on Logic Pro being a much better Final Cut Pro citizen and thus will pick LP7 up next year on academic discount.

autodata
2004-09-30, 22:37
Yeah, there is no question that Logic is the best all-around DAW and complete audio production environment, and now that it's an apple app we can be assured it has an even brighter future.

Moogs
2004-09-30, 23:53
I will say the MOTU demo of DP4.5's interface was pretty nice. Very Mac-like, though still complex in some ways (like all DAWS are).

Mac+
2004-10-01, 02:29
Actually I haven't used Logic before. I'm going to be a newbie but I've been eyeing the Mac DAWs for sometime now. You know honestly if I wasn't going to be running Final Cut Pro I'd seriously be looking at MOTU's dp 4.5. They have all the "goodies" you'd want and now they have "beat detective" like features from ProTools and PDC. Not too shabby. I'm however banking on Logic Pro being a much better Final Cut Pro citizen and thus will pick LP7 up next year on academic discount. :o Oops - I must have got you confused with somebody else from "the other" forums (perhaps sizzlechest?). Regardless, with Apple now owning Logic, it stands to reason that this will definitely be the app that integrates itself most seamlessly with FCP. However, the developers at MOTU are meticulous with their code doing what the specifications say it should (the implementation of the AU scenario of last year comes to mind) and they have always enjoyed a "tight" relationship with Apple in terms of keeping abreast of OS developments.

Having said this, I think with the launch of dp 4.5 and Logic 7 - and features such as TDM support, latency compensation, improved UI, distributed computing on the OS X platform - there is one professional tools "hardware-based" company that stands to lose the strangle-hold they previously held over the video/audio market share. Have they dropped the ball here? :err:

Mac+
2004-10-01, 02:48
I will say the MOTU demo of DP4.5's interface was pretty nice. Very Mac-like, though still complex in some ways (like all DAWS are).Yeah, I started using Performer (MIDI only) on System 7.x many years ago and fell in love with their UI. For my way of working, the MOTU engineers really got it right ... of course, in those days, Logic was known as Notator and it ran on the Atari ST (I think! ;) ), so I didn't use it extensively - only occasionally whilst at Uni. At home, I "cut my teeth" on the MOTU stuff. :smokey:

Anyway, I have not used a DAW now for ages. I recently bought Live though, and am loving playing with it, but I don't consider it to be a fully fledged DAW. I know that if I had to invest in a DAW these days, my allegiance still lies with MOTU and, hence, dp. I guess it was a strong connection to make all those years ago. :shrugs:

sunrain
2004-10-02, 11:21
Just checked and my copy of LP7 is supposed to ship on or before 10/5. Very excited and will share my impressions ASAP.

Xaqtly
2004-10-04, 00:22
Yeah, please do, I'm very interested. My order status says my copy of Logic Express 7 won't ship till Oct. 29.

sunrain
2004-10-07, 22:30
Got my copy of LP7 this evening. I'm traveling for the weekend, but I'll post soon. I'll say one thing. It sure came with enough fucking manuals!

Moogs
2004-10-09, 15:31
Maybe they could advise Adobe on the benefits of providing detailed manuals... that would be nice. :)

Luca
2004-10-09, 15:45
Yeah, please do, I'm very interested. My order status says my copy of Logic Express 7 won't ship till Oct. 29.
WTF, are they running out of product boxes or CDs now? Why would it take so long to ship? That makes no sense.

LoCash
2004-10-09, 15:53
Got my copy of LP7 this evening. I'm traveling for the weekend, but I'll post soon. I'll say one thing. It sure came with enough fucking manuals!
Maybe you can write an article about it too, hint hint ;)

Wrao
2004-10-10, 00:39
I got Jampack 2:remix tools yesterday and I made this

Sophism (http://www.icompositions.com/auditorium/showphoto.php?photo=6443&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1)

curiousuburb
2004-10-10, 12:52
Perhaps OT, but a friend who's a band teacher in schools (up to grade 9) is debating the merits of teaching Sibelius (http://www.sibelius.com/education/) or GB.

I wasn't familiar with Sibelius, but a quick gander at the website looks like it might be complementary in some respects, but perhaps better suited to younger kids in its initial levels. It's more expensive than GB, obviously, but I'm not sure if the feature set or integration between levels justifies the $ vs what GB could do for free (bundled with their eMacs anyway).

Anybody in education (or who's played with both) have an opinion on the differences?

Just curious...

Mac+
2004-10-10, 18:15
Last time I used Sibelius it was a notation based program. But, I understand that the brand has expanded and they now have other Sibelius packages, so I'm not too sure which version of Sibelius you are referring to.

One program used to be called Composer Notes - it may be Sibelius Notes now (I'm not sure) ... anyway, this is an excellent compositional tutor with comprehensive notes about instruments used for orchestration. It also provides lessons for three streams of student levels which is very handy.

As for GB, the fact that it is free, has a very clean UI, and could be considered a stepping stone to more complex music apps should be enough to warrant its inclusion as a teaching tool about loops and hence computer based composition techniques.

Of course, all the debate about the two programs doesn't make complete sense, unless we know what your friend wants to teach in their curriculum. If it is how to write a band score, then Sibelius would be the answer, but if it is how to construct arrangements and learn about loops then GB would be the obvious choice. Remember, though, that there is nothing that says your friend cannot divide the curriculum into two parts and teach both programs! For instance, they could arrange a composition in GB and then create a notated version of it using Sibelius.

As for the integration between the two apps, I can't provide any inside scoop, since I own neither. :\

Xaqtly
2004-11-03, 14:51
I received Logic Express 7 last night. I installed it and was a bit disappointed to find that the interface is almost identical to Logic 6. My biggest problem with Logic 6 was that the learning curve is almost vertical, and Logic Express 7 doesn't seem to be any different. There have been some changes to better accomodate GarageBand, but it's still Logic. I was really hoping Apple could "GarageBand" the interface, to make it simpler while still retaining the higher end features of Logic, but they really didn't do anything like that.

So I'm disappointed but I'm just going to have to learn how to use it. It does have a huge number of higher end features that GB doesn't have, and I want to use them.

sunrain
2004-11-03, 22:06
Maybe you can write an article about it too, hint hint ;)

Sure. Will you accept articles from people considering becoming ex-patriots?