PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express with iTunes

Linkoln
2004-09-30, 01:01
Got myself a couple of Airport Express and a Powerbook G4.

My Question is, can you, or will you eventually be able to, have sound come out of your remote speakers that does not have anything to do with iTunes. For example, watch a DVD and through your wireless network, the sound comes through your stereo speakers that are hooked up to your Airport Express?

Can anyone help?

Linkoln :confused:

sunrain
2004-09-30, 02:03
Only iTunes related sound is useable on Airport Express right now. I think most people assume that the features will expand to include some of the things you mention.

DMBand0026
2004-09-30, 11:52
I'm hoping that eventually this will happen, but no one really knows yet. It would be really cool to be able to watch a movie on my PB, but the speakers are so small that it really wouldn't be worth it. So there may be a firmware update in the future, or just the next revision of the product. If that's the case, I'm eBaying my APExpress and getting the new one :)

scratt
2004-09-30, 12:15
I'm hoping that eventually this will happen, but no one really knows yet. It would be really cool to be able to watch a movie on my PB, but the speakers are so small that it really wouldn't be worth it. So there may be a firmware update in the future, or just the next revision of the product. If that's the case, I'm eBaying my APExpress and getting the new one :)

I really think it will just be a case of updating application software. So I wouldn't think we would have to buy a new APExpress to do this... I certainly hope not!! Technically it certainly is not the case.... But then who can tell! :err:

DMBand0026
2004-09-30, 13:08
I know it can be pulled off with a software or firmware update, but that won't make anyone any money, will it? I could see APExpress getting video out someday once the new codecs in Tiger are fully implemented. However, I hope they at least offer it to the folks who bought this version of APExpress.

Linkoln
2004-10-11, 03:46
Thanks for the info.

johnq
2004-10-11, 04:14
I doubt this can be done without synching issues. The compression used must introduce enough lag to make it come out of synch with the video. Just guessing though.

scratt
2004-10-11, 04:29
I doubt this can be done without synching issues. The compression used must introduce enough lag to make it come out of synch with the video. Just guessing though.

Nope... I stream DVDs over Airport using my G5 DVD player, pick them up and play them out of my 17" direct to a TV and to my Wife's 14" without any problems... So I cannot see why it wouldn't work...

DMBand0026
2004-10-11, 15:42
Delays. That's the biggest thing. They would have to sync up the audio and video and that can be a lot more difficult than you'd think.

And personally, I don't think they should try to tackle video until they get the audio part right.