PDA

View Full Version : MBP: Continue to wait 6-9 months or jump in?

jcoley2
2006-10-25, 09:40
I have been reading on this topic ever since it has been in speculation and am trying to determine is this is my personal 'cross-over point' to buy a new MBP now (TODAY) or continue to wait for the next big innovation (what ever that might be.)

My situation: currently own an approximately 2 year old PB 17" which I love (although I wish it was lighter since I carry it back and forth on the train almost every day.) Since I now couple it with a 24" external dell monitor, the need for a large screen (at least at work) has decreased.

I use this laptop for both personal and business, but mostly the latter. For work I always am using a lot RAM dependent (I think) programs but typically powerpoint (10 MB files are most common) and big Excel worksheets crushing big financial models (with macros) along with usual stuff (Mail, Safari, iChat and Notes.) About a year ago I bumped the Ram to 2 GB to help keep things running smoothly but I would not say the PB is blazingly fast.

For personal I run FCE 2 a lot to view coaching tapes of games but in general the personal stuff is less intensive than work stuff. Finally, battery power is important since I fly a lot (and end up having to carry a second battery for long flights.)

My computer is fine but not blazingly fast especially on my work stuff. I was thinking of upgrading now with new Duo but my basic question is this: what next big thing is on the near term horizon (say 12 months or less) that would cause me to delay versus buying now?

BTW: thngs I wish I had currently that I do not:

1. Lighter
2. Faster
3. Larger HD

Everything else is nicety now but not necessary for my needs. I am assuming that Leopard will continue to run fine on my PB 17" when released next year.

One final thought (and this was posted in another thread): if there was a 10-13" MBP at say 4 lbs that would convince me today to jump and buy regardless of the future roadmap.

Any thoughts are appeciated.

BTW--just saw this thread about the same time I posted so perhaps this tells me to wait 6 more months?

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=409513#post409513

Esp. if they offer a 12"?

screensaver400
2006-10-25, 13:40
I'd wait for reviews on the C2D MBPs. If the heat problems are reduces and battery life is about the same or better, I'd buy now.

Wyatt
2006-10-25, 13:45
If all you're running is Final Cut Express, a MacBook with 2GB RAM might be a good fit for you. You'd have to buy an adapter to hook it up to your display, but those are cheap ($19).

You might also look at refurbed Rev. A MBPs. They've come down quite a bit in price since the C2D announcement, and they are a great bargain.

Robo
2006-10-25, 14:44
I've given up hope for a smaller MacBook Pro, to be honest. I would love to be wrong but it looks like my dream notebook will forever stay a dream. Oh well.

Just buy the damn notebook now. They were just upgraded. I have no idea why anyone would wait for yet another upgrade. If you keep thinking like that, you'll never buy a computer.

Waiting for reviews is another matter entirely. But talking about waiting for an upgrade? I'm sorry - I just don't understand that. Maybe if it was a really minor upgrade, like the one the PowerBooks saw about a year ago. But the MBP just got a fairly substantial upgrade - a new processor, larger hard drives, faster SuperDrives, FW800, etc.

I second the suggestion that a MacBook (non-Pro) loaded with RAM might be a good option for you, especially if you're wanting a smaller notebook. But if you want a MBP, now is the best times to buy one - right after an upgrade. I don't see why you'd want to pass it up. ;)

jcoley2
2006-10-27, 09:05
Thanks for all the help. I have decided that portability and then speed are my next biggest issues, so am going to wait and see if they make either a MBP 12" or else some type of ultra light portable MB. (I know everyone in here says they are not going to.) I thought about getting a new MBP 15" esp. since the screen resolution is the same as my current PB 17" (1440 x 990) but it only lightens my load by a pound which in itself is not enough for me to justify trading up just yet.

Wyatt
2006-10-27, 09:28
Thanks for all the help. I have decided that portability and then speed are my next biggest issues, so am going to wait and see if they make either a MBP 12" or else some type of ultra light portable MB. (I know everyone in here says they are not going to.) I thought about getting a new MBP 15" esp. since the screen resolution is the same as my current PB 17" (1440 x 990) but it only lightens my load by a pound which in itself is not enough for me to justify trading up just yet.
Have you ever carried a MacBook around? I don't see how anybody who has can't consider it light. No, it doesn't weigh two pounds or anything, but it's more than portable.

scratt
2006-10-27, 09:37
....jump in... ...it's fine.... :)

Dorian Gray
2006-10-27, 09:45
...a MBP 12" or else some type of ultra light portable MB. (I know everyone in here says they are not going to.)
Well don't listen to everyone then! :p It's only a matter of time before Apple releases a proper portable laptop, with small size, light weight and good battery life. It would require a low-voltage chip from Intel, which are readily available. The market for such a notebook isn't massive, but it's too large to ignore, and the people who want such a thing would be willing to pay a premium because portable computing is something they believe in like a religion. Such a notebook would therefore offer Apple irresistible profit margins. It would be slick, small and very, very desirable, and therefore get a lot of attention for the Apple brand too.

Do you remember the insane feeding rush when the 12-inch PowerBook came out, despite its eye-watering price that never really came down to sane levels for what you got? That machine set new standards: a no-compromise full-featured notebook that was truly portable and very attractive. But the 12-inch iBook was very nearly as small, just as fast, and arguably as good looking, so harmed its sales (although the 12-inch PB still sold very well: I still see them everywhere). With the MacBook now up in bulky 14-inch territory despite its 13-inch screen, a replacement for the 12-inch PB would sell like crazy despite costing more than the MacBook.

ZacMoose
2006-10-27, 18:32
...My mind wandered off to a better place for a minute there Dorian Gray... :cool:

Let's hope you're right.

Elysium
2006-10-27, 18:56
BTW: thngs I wish I had currently that I do not:

1. Lighter
2. Faster
3. Larger HD

I hear that they're bringing Lee Majors in as a consultant. :p

Robo
2006-10-27, 21:29
Well don't listen to everyone then! :p It's only a matter of time before Apple releases a proper portable laptop, with small size, light weight and good battery life. It would require a low-voltage chip from Intel, which are readily available. The market for such a notebook isn't massive, but it's too large to ignore, and the people who want such a thing would be willing to pay a premium because portable computing is something they believe in like a religion. Such a notebook would therefore offer Apple irresistible profit margins. It would be slick, small and very, very desirable, and therefore get a lot of attention for the Apple brand too.

Do you remember the insane feeding rush when the 12-inch PowerBook came out, despite its eye-watering price that never really came down to sane levels for what you got? That machine set new standards: a no-compromise full-featured notebook that was truly portable and very attractive. But the 12-inch iBook was very nearly as small, just as fast, and arguably as good looking, so harmed its sales (although the 12-inch PB still sold very well: I still see them everywhere). With the MacBook now up in bulky 14-inch territory despite its 13-inch screen, a replacement for the 12-inch PB would sell like crazy despite costing more than the MacBook.

I hope you're right.

I love my MacBook but I definitely agree that it's more of a 14" notebook. I think that's the perfect size for the average user but it's a bit too big for me. I'd love to see a 12" MacBook Pro or even a 13.3" one that just cut the MacBook's baby fat. If they would just trim the bezel, get it well under five pounds and under and inch thin, and give it the MBP's enclosure, keyboard, and speakers and I would have gladly paid $1,499 for it - even if the specs were the same as my $1,299 MacBook (although if they're going to call it a "MacBook Pro" then it had better have dedicated graphics).

I was at a computer store today and I couldn't help but be a little jealous of this nice and simple 12" Averatec notebook. It was even white.

That said, as much as I'd love to see a compact notebook, I don't think Apple will introduce a subnotebook. No 10" screens, docking stations, or optical drive-less machines - there isn't a huge market for them. Apple wants Macs to be reasonably full-featured.

But that's the Mac. Maybe Apple will roll out a UMPC "Fuji," who knows. ;)