PDA

View Full Version : Voice recorders

torifile
2006-10-30, 14:03
As my private practice grows, I'm finding that I can't rely on my memory to remind me specifics of what my client and I talked about during session. I'd like to get a voice recorder so I can keep a record of sessions. Sound quality isn't of the utmost importance since it's just talking, but a good mic is essential for times that things get quiet. Portability would be fantastic. Of course, ease of use with my Mac is a pretty high priority.

Any recs? My budget is up to $100 but cheaper is better. I can also be convinced to spend more if that's what it'll take to get a one that's worthwhile. I plan on dumping sessions to an HD on a weekly basis, so about 20 hours of recording time would be a minimum. TIA.

Kraetos
2006-10-30, 14:12
As my private practice grows, I'm finding that I can't rely on my memory to remind me specifics of what my client and I talked about during session. I'd like to get a voice recorder so I can keep a record of sessions. Sound quality isn't of the utmost importance since it's just talking, but a good mic is essential for times that things get quiet. Portability would be fantastic. Of course, ease of use with my Mac is a pretty high priority.

Any recs? My budget is up to $100 but cheaper is better. I can also be convinced to spend more if that's what it'll take to get a one that's worthwhile. I plan on dumping sessions to an HD on a weekly basis, so about 20 hours of recording time would be a minimum. TIA.

For use with an iPod? Belkin TuneTalk stereo. (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=277661)

Syncs with iTunes, works with an iPod 5G, and sounds AMAZING. We have a couple of them here and they work really, really well.

torifile
2006-10-30, 14:31
Strangely enough, I'd prefer it not to be through iTunes. Manual drag and drop would actually suit me BETTER than using iTunes. I could see myself making an automator script that moves the files to a specific folder when it was connected. That would be ideal. But that looks like a good option if there aren't others. :)

TeraHz
2006-10-30, 18:21
Hi,

Few days ago I got an Olympus VN-3100PC digital voice recorder for about $50 from pagecomputers.com So far I can say it is doing the job very well. It stores from 5 to 72 hours of audio ( depending on the quality ), it is pretty small and I think easy to operate. The mic is sensitive enough for me to record inclass lectures. The only drawback I've noticed so far is the lack of backlight on the display. Still It is a great gadget :)

Olympus:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1272
Page Computers:
Product ID: 1129842

Wyatt
2006-10-30, 18:56
I use an RCA RP5030A. It works great in quiet environments, records in MP3, and exports over USB with no hassles. Its microphone isn't great for noisy environments, but in a setting with less background noise, it works pretty well. I use it for all my source interviews, and it does a pretty good job.

turtle
2006-10-30, 22:09
I have been using a DM-1 (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?fl=2&id=700) from Olympus for years and love it. I know it's archived now, but it's greatest features is the removable media card and can use an external microphone. I might even sell mine with a 64MB card if you're really looking. It has Mac software too, though I have had better results converting it on my PC.

It creates a .DSS file that you can either leave in that format or you can convert to .WAV. It might even do .MP3, but I'm not sure about that since I haven't used it is a while. The 64MB card will hold something close to 24 hours of talk in the low quality setting. That setting it more than sufficient for standard voice.

PM me if you're interested in getting mine from me.

Edit: Here (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/software_results.asp?id=700&os=m) is the software link.

torifile
2006-11-02, 08:07
Thanks for the offer, turtle, but I was hoping for something that I wouldn't need to convert.

Anyway, I'm getting a new smartphone today (the Nokia e61) and it has a voice recorder built in. I'm going to try that. It would be an ideal solution if it works well.

Wyatt
2006-11-02, 08:25
Thanks for the offer, turtle, but I was hoping for something that I wouldn't need to convert.

Anyway, I'm getting a new smartphone today (the Nokia e61) and it has a voice recorder built in. I'm going to try that. It would be an ideal solution if it works well.
That would be nice, but I would worry about battery life with something like that. It would really suck if you couldn't get through a whole day with that.

GladToBeHere
2006-12-07, 20:44
This thread hasn't been touched for a bit, but I suddenly find myself looking for a digital voice recorder that is mac compatible. I could really use some help with regard to where to look. I see a lot of Olympus models available, but it's unclear if they'll work with a mac.

Thanks.

Wyatt
2006-12-07, 21:51
This thread hasn't been touched for a bit, but I suddenly find myself looking for a digital voice recorder that is mac compatible. I could really use some help with regard to where to look. I see a lot of Olympus models available, but it's unclear if they'll work with a mac.

Thanks.
Most recorders that hook up to a computer via USB will work. However, not all of them will. Beware recorders that come with software. It's usually Windows-only and often involves recordings being in a proprietary format.

Your best bet is to look for one that records in MP3 format and has a standard USB interface. The RCA RP5030A, which I already mentioned in this thread, is a good example. I use it with my MacBook all the time.

GladToBeHere
2006-12-08, 08:36
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Superq
2006-12-19, 15:18
I have been using an Olympus DS-330. It comes with Mac software and connects via a cradle to a usb port. I copes with about 2.5 hours of dictation that is enough for anybody in one go. Recommend.