PDA

View Full Version : Is my sidebar whammied?

drewprops
2006-10-31, 10:03
I changed some stuff to the sidebar of my website one night then decided against it. Apparently I changed something vital because a friend running IE on a Windows box said that the sidebar was at the bottom of the page now.... probably changed the width of something inside the sidebar DIV to be bigger than it should be..... but I'm without a PC for a little while so I can't check it myself... :(
Can one of you guys see if it is whammied? I'd really appreciate it.

Brad
2006-10-31, 10:12
No whammies, no whammies, no whammies, STOP!

torifile
2006-10-31, 10:23
I changed some stuff to the sidebar of my website one night then decided against it. Apparently I changed something vital because a friend running IE on a Windows box said that the sidebar was at the bottom of the page now.... probably changed the width of something inside the sidebar DIV to be bigger than it should be..... but I'm without a PC for a little while so I can't check it myself... :(
Can one of you guys see if it is whammied? I'd really appreciate it.
Link spammer! ;)

Here's what it looks like in IE 6 under parallels (that "comment" line is at the end of your main text section, so this is the bottom of the page.):

http://homepage.mac.com/torifile/.Pictures/drewprops.jpg

It's fine in FF on XP.

drewprops
2006-10-31, 11:33
Thanks you two! :p
I'll see if I can't grab a PC at some point and figure out what I whammied (batterbatterbatterbatterSA-WINNNGbatter)

chucker
2006-10-31, 11:42
Remember, IE6 will be auto-updated to IE7 soon (with a few exceptions), so you might want to start thinking about not making compromises for IE6 any more.

drewprops
2006-10-31, 12:39
Hmmm, so it may be an IE6 bug and a not (exactly) my fault (though it is, if I were a diligent CSS coder)?
I like not having to worry about at least ONE version of IE. Plus, it's not a business site so I can be a snob.... if I can stand to leave it alone, unfixed ;)

chucker
2006-10-31, 13:05
Hmmm, so it may be an IE6 bug and a not (exactly) my fault (though it is, if I were a diligent CSS coder)?
I like not having to worry about at least ONE version of IE. Plus, it's not a business site so I can be a snob.... if I can stand to leave it alone, unfixed ;)

FWIW, I cannot reproduce that bug in IE7. Your website looks as intended, based on a quick glimpse.

Yonzie
2006-10-31, 14:07
MS says to be ready for the IE7 update on the 1st and that the rollout will take several months. For some reason I doubt they'll wait the 3 weeks until patch tuesday, that would be too consistent ;)

drewprops
2006-10-31, 14:18
So will people's XP machines automatically start d/'ing the new app? That would be awesomes!

chucker
2006-10-31, 14:37
So will people's XP machines automatically start d/'ing the new app? That would be awesomes!

Yes, Windows XP machines will be updated automatically, unless:
A) Automatic Updates were specifically disabled.
B) Genuine Advantage is disabled or not passing validation.
C) the blocker was installed. For major updates such as this one, Microsoft provides a blocker so network administrators can stop machines from updating. This can be useful in cases where such an update would break applications that an organization relies on. Admins then have to try to get deployment working properly ASAP, and then remove the blocker.

Brad
2006-10-31, 14:37
Yes, Microsoft has announced that IE7 will be an automatic update. Details here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7announcement.mspx

Wyatt
2006-10-31, 14:59
Yes, Microsoft has announced that IE7 will be an automatic update. Details here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7announcement.mspx
It's already started. It came through automatic udpate on my work machine a week or so ago. I can't say I'm overwhelmed by it, but it's alright.

Jerman
2006-10-31, 17:06
Uh-oh. I'll want to block the update on parallels. What do I need to do to block the update?

Kraetos
2006-10-31, 19:14
Uh-oh. I'll want to block the update on parallels. What do I need to do to block the update?

I am fairly sure you can just deny it.

I am in the same boat. I am fairly sure that Automatic Updates wont find my IE7 install because its standalone.

chucker
2006-10-31, 19:28
Uh-oh. I'll want to block the update on parallels.

Dare I ask why?

What do I need to do to block the update?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4516A6F7-5D44-482B-9DBD-869B4A90159C&displaylang=en

chucker
2006-10-31, 19:29
I am fairly sure you can just deny it.

I am in the same boat. I am fairly sure that Automatic Updates wont find my IE7 install because its standalone.

Well, even if it did, that'd be besides the point; the idea of the update is to make it system-wide, so that the many applications that use IE in an embedded way benefit from it.