PDA

View Full Version : Wireless or Not?

davedavinci
2006-11-09, 18:11
i have a mac mini in my room and a PC for the family comp. I plan to purchase a macbook in the near future. Would it be reasonable to go wireless now? Is wireless the same speed as a wired connection because I am constantly downloading things and I would hate for the downloading process to slow down because of speed. Thanks!

Wyatt
2006-11-09, 18:17
Unless you have a business-class connection at home (faster than cable), even the old 802.11b standard is technically faster. Your speed may vary based on signal strength, but as long as you've got a strong signal, you'll be fine.

BlueRabbit
2006-11-09, 18:28
In a normal-sized house the wireless strength should be fine, and the speed shouldn't suffer at all. The main area where wireless fails is in computer-to-computer file transfers; my experience is with 802.11b though, so g should be decently faster.

Chinney
2006-11-09, 18:38
I set up a 802.11g wireless network at home a few weeks ago. Aside from difficulties with the initial set-up - thanks again to Thunderpoit for his help in resolving my difficulties (extensively detailed in my thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=20247) on the topic, if you need assistance when it comes time to do it yourself) - it has been great. Having three computers is well justifiable for wireless - it has been a great practical help, especially for my wife's laptop, with which she can now log-on to the Internet anywhere in the house. No speed problems.

thegelding
2006-11-09, 19:33
love my cable wireless...we have two desktops wireless and up to 4 laptops at any given time running in my house...works great, couldn't go back to living with wires

g