PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro core duo for mackbook core2duo

tim2006
2006-11-21, 22:55
I have an opportunity to trade my 15 core duo macbook pro for a brand new black macbook core2duo. Questions is should I do it?I use notebook for itunes, listening to sirius, and surfing the web. generaly when I listen to music it is on the built in speakers. no gaming. Would not be upgrading but have the opportunity.

Wyatt
2006-11-21, 23:20
Look at it from this angle: Think about why you want to do it and why you don't want to do it. The portability is nice, but the MacBook has crummy speakers compared to the MacBook Pro, and the extra screen space can be nice if you read a lot of PDFs (that's the biggest thing about my MBP I miss since selling it for a MacBook--but I made the decision for financial reasons, not computing reasons).

tim2006
2006-11-23, 14:21
the MB meets my needs. has better specs than my 2.0 MBP. The 2 things holding me back are 1) smaller screen 2) the fact that the MB is not a pro machine if that means anything. The generally MBP over MB.

Yontsey
2006-11-23, 14:29
the MB meets my needs. has better specs than my 2.0 MBP. The 2 things holding me back are 1) smaller screen 2) the fact that the MB is not a pro machine if that means anything. The generally MBP over MB.

doesnt sound like you really need a pro machine though. what are the other specs of the machines? hdd size, RAM, ect...

Luca
2006-11-23, 14:56
Keep what you have. The difference in speed is probably negligible. You're doing tasks that are so mundane that there seems to be no reason to mess with your setup.

Remember that migrating from one computer to another is a hassle as well. Why bother? I'd just stay with what you have. The MBP has a bigger screen, and better overall build quality - higher end products tend to be better put together than lower end ones.

To use an analogy, I'm happier with my old, high-end camera than I would be with a new, low-end one. I might be a little short on megapixels and screen area, but my camera far surpasses brand new cameras of equal value in image quality and features, and it holds its resale value well.

Partial
2006-11-23, 15:12
Keep what you have. Luca is right. Its a horrible deal because your computer is worth a hell of a lot more.

tim2006
2006-11-24, 11:49
when would you ever go from a pro to a consumer notebook. if it were a powerbook to a macbook would that change it. Thank-you for the response. I did not realize the pro was that much better. The only reason I was considering it was my belief that the macbook was leaps above the ibook it replace and that the line between pro and consumer was very litte.

macleod
2006-11-24, 11:59
I would keep what you have. I personally want to get a new MBP and sell my black MacBook. The MBP has such better speakers and I personally miss a bigger screen. That is just my 2 cents though.