PDA

View Full Version : Displaying Trackbacks

Kraetos
2006-11-27, 21:35
Sometimes on my blog, I get comments which are simply excerpts from posts people have written about an entry of mine. I don't like these comments, but at the same time, I hate to delete them, because it's always fun to see who wrote about my posts and I like to let others see it too.

I believe this is what trackback is for. I offer a trackback link on all my posts, but nobody uses it because my single.php doesn't display them. Has anyone else battled this problem? Is there an easy way to display incoming trackbacks to an article on its permalink page?

rollercoaster375
2006-11-28, 09:07
The Trackback spec isn't a particularly hard one to implement. A few hours worth of coding would do it. If you're feeling lazy, just steal the Wordpress one.

Kraetos
2006-11-28, 14:11
The Trackback spec isn't a particularly hard one to implement. A few hours worth of coding would do it. If you're feeling lazy, just steal the Wordpress one.

I actually would have guessed it was a wordpress function. This isn't the case?

That said, I couldn't find the code in the Kubrick theme. What theme already has this built in?

rollercoaster375
2006-11-28, 14:49
Wordpress supports it... I just don't know if your blog uses Wordpress or not.

I was pretty sure it was already in Kubrick... What version are you using?

Kraetos
2006-11-28, 22:22
Wordpress supports it... I just don't know if your blog uses Wordpress or not.

I was pretty sure it was already in Kubrick... What version are you using?

My blog is new.

I wrote my theme from scratch, by the way. I occasionally extracted stuff from Kubrick, though. Never have I stumbled across a display trackbacks function, though.

torifile
2006-11-28, 22:37
The theme I'm using (I think it's called Barthelme or something like that) has a trackback link at the bottom of single posts.

Kraetos
2006-11-30, 02:30
The theme I'm using (I think it's called Barthelme or something like that) has a trackback link at the bottom of single posts.

I am actually not looking for the ability to provide trackbacks, I am looking for the ability to display incoming trackbacks on a given post. I want to do this because some people post excerpts from posts they wrote about my post in said post's comments. I find this to be a rather strange use of comments, and would much rather show trackbacks to any post in a neat little sidebar to the right of the comments section.

torifile
2006-11-30, 08:29
I am actually not looking for the ability to provide trackbacks, I am looking for the ability to display incoming trackbacks on a given post. I want to do this because some people post excerpts from posts they wrote about my post in said post's comments. I find this to be a rather strange use of comments, and would much rather show trackbacks to any post in a neat little sidebar to the right of the comments section.
Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying. Do you have any examples of this?

rollercoaster375
2006-11-30, 09:25
I just did my first major venture into WordPress' innards—it seems store trackbacks and pingbacks in the comment table, as far as I can tell (With a "type" column, where 'trackback' is entered into the column for them)... Maybe the comments you're getting are trackbacks.

torifile
2006-11-30, 09:39
That's what I was thinking too.

Trackbacks, on my site, look like [...]text from other site[...]

Kraetos
2006-11-30, 13:46
That's what I was thinking too.

Trackbacks, on my site, look like [...]text from other site[...]

I am just going to post one of these:

:o

And call it a day.

torifile