PDA

View Full Version : Map Point Creation

Frank777
2006-12-05, 00:12
I have a friend who's interested in getting a program built, subject to the cost.
I personally have no clue about programming, so I can't advise him. My reputation as a MacGeek is at stake.

Right now he delivers products around various (Ontario) towns, and has a multitude of paper maps laying around his office.

He's looking for a simple program that would take any PDF file (the various maps) and allow him to add numbered map points that correspond to locations on his routes. Then he saves the new map, selects a print area and prints out the map.

Since locations can change regularly, the software would allow him to add or remove a location and renumber the map accordingly.

He's bought - and despises - Route 2004, and says MapQuest can't do the job.

Three basic questions:

1. How hard is it to build something like this from scratch?
2. What would be the likely cost?
3. Is there a small software house in Toronto that might take on something like this?

curiousuburb
2006-12-05, 03:34
Couldn't he use Google Earth?

Frank777
2006-12-06, 01:44
Couldn't he use Google Earth?

Thanks for the reply.
He didn't mention GE, so I just downloaded the new version and tried it.

I doubt it. He's looking for a simple interface and also wants to use high quality, detailed maps so his drivers don't get lost.

I think the best route would be to find a shareware developer.
I can't see building numbered map points being that hard to code into a program.

Kickaha
2006-12-06, 01:48
You mean he just wants to annotate PDFs of the maps?

Preview has text annotation.

OmniGraffle allows you to pull in the PDF (or other image format) of the map, and then add whatever data you want in a layer (or layers) over the top. I annotate maps (and generate new ones) regularly doing this. In fact, I have in the past taken a scan of a map, then placed the map on a tablet, and used the pen to precisely generate paths on the map/tablet, and then they appear over the map image in OG. Cheap and easy, all off the shelf.

Frank777
2006-12-06, 02:01
Kick, you are my hero. :D